Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

for those looking for turbo piping

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 01:57 AM

for those looking for turbo piping

it seems like more and more people are interested in turbo piping lately. so here goes..

i am building a piping kit right now.

a brief discription of what you'll get..
(everything is subject to change)

stage one: (price to be determined)

SS and tig welded 2" forward y-pipe
SS and tig welded 3" downpipe
standard tial/turbonetics wastegate flanges welded on

SS tig welded turbo cold air intake with MAF sensor housing flange attached (optional polishing or powder coating)

SS tig welded charge tube that goes from the turbo to the throttle body *low boost only* (optional polishing or powder coating)

stage 2: (price to be determined)
SS and tig welded 2.5" forward y-pipe
SS and tig welded 3" downpipe
standard tial/turbonetics wastegate flanges welded on

SS tig welded turbo cold air intake with MAF sensor housing flange attached (optional polishing or powder coating)

ss tig welded intercooler piping (optional polishing or powder coating)

all kits will come with the standard t3 flange welded on unless you specify in your order what turbo size you are running.

Minimal welds, everything is mandrel bent, compound bends can not be made with a mandrel bender so that's where the tig welding comes in. less peices to weld means better flow and increased strength. i am only using SS piping, mild steel would not be an option because i believe in delivering quality. All peices can be ceramic coated for an additional fee.

I'm selling a pipe kit because i understand that many of you want to run your own turbine specs and different sized intercoolers, oil feed/return lines and what not. by me selling just the pipes, you have the flexibility of buying exactly the parts you want and not only what i can offer.

the price of everything is being worked out with my manufacture right now.. i'm trying to keep the price as low as possible without cutting corners.

the place that is building the kit wants to stay anonymous, but they have been around for a few decades and have been building quality exhaust parts. they specialize in building exhaust componants for various makes and models.

this is a sneak peak of what is to come within' these few weeks. i will be taking orders shortly after these pipes are tested on a 5spd 5th gen, auto 5th gen, 5spd 4th gen and an auto 4th gen, and also the 5.5th gen autos and 6spds. pictures will come fairly soon. sit tight.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:42 AM
KH3 by popular demand

Oh hallelujah. Not in need of a feed pipe right now but this is interesting...subscribing.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nice, all the kits are probably going to be a little bit different.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:28 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

How is the down pipe going to be routed back to the stock exhaust, under the tranny?
Old 09-08-2005, 09:09 AM

I actually see a problem here. The feed pipe and downpipe are a doable thing, but the intercooler piping is the problem, they would have to base their kit off of what piping they get, now if they already have the turbocharger, and the outlet is on a different side than the piping was made for their screwed.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Im izz sexay

Best bet is to throw in a turbo for an additional cost due to those issues. YOu should also specify which side the outlet is on or which chargers are compatible wil it.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Also, unless the customer is willing to do some modifications to the intercooler piping they will be forced to use a certain length intercooler with a particular style inlet and outlet.

None the less, it is a good idea to come out with a non-reverse y-pipe set up anyhow.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:11 PM

thanks for your input guys.

as for the intercooler piping goes. it'll be similar to the PFI set up so you'll have to cut holes in your car and you can shorten the pipe length easily with a hack saw, dremel or at best a pipe cutter to fit longer intercoolers. the intercooler pipe is easily adaptable to any turbo no matter the orientation of the housing because worse case scenario, just use a 90 degree silicon coupler.

and yes the down pipe does go under the transmission. but the feed pipe doesn't go under anything so the only pipe that goes under the transmission is the down pipe...

for those of you that want, i can also build the down pipe out of 2 2" pipes with a collector so there would be almost if not NO loss of ground clearance at all. and the down pipe will definately have a flex section..

spanishrice: what do you mean all the kits are going to be a little different?

the manufacture is not an exhaust shop, they build things for buisnesses so all the kits will be exactly the same as the first one being cranked out. a welding jig is being used to insure fitment.

as far as which turbo bolts up to this kit, if you dont' specify whcih turbo you're running, a T3/t4 custom flange is going to be welded on there. the flange has bolt holes for a t3 but can also use a t4.. or at least that's what we're making right now. that way only the down pipe flange needs to be modified if any of you decide to upgrade your turbo..

i've taken many things into considration with this kit.. it's been blue printed since 99.. so trust me, alot of thought have been put into it.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Also, the reverse Y-pipe will need to have a FED and CALI version to account for a front pre-cat unless you just force people to install a front FED exhaust manifold, which is easiest and most would want to do anyways, I think. The emissions version will also determine where the 02s go...at least on the 5th gen.

Where/how is the turbo going to be oriented, like PFIs kits?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

if the prices is right, I'll be ur first customer,
Keep us updated. Also on the downpipe, can a request be made to include a 3in cut out?
And any modifications need to fit the forward ypipe? last time I heard there is non other than relocating the battery.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Also, the reverse Y-pipe will need to have a FED and CALI version to account for a front pre-cat unless you just force people to install a front FED exhaust manifold, which is easiest and most would want to do anyways, I think. The emissions version will also determine where the 02s go...at least on the 5th gen.

Where/how is the turbo going to be oriented, like PFIs kits?

nope.. the intake inlet points at the driver side fender...

oh yah i forgot to mention.. that it'll require a fed spec manifold conversion.. it's cheap.. and easy.. only the front manifold needs to be replaced.. and the 02 can either be relocated or simulated.. but that's up to u guys to do on your own..

a 3" full turbo back is in the works too, and i can also include 02 bungs that go behind the main cat too.. for those that aren't going to use it, it'll just but plugged up.. the 3" exhaust should be more affordable than the competitors, it'll also feature SS piping, mandrel bends and tig welds.. and hopefully it'll be one peice.. but we'll find out once it's made.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by jcy98maxse
if the prices is right, I'll be ur first customer,
Keep us updated. Also on the downpipe, can a request be made to include a 3in cut out?
And any modifications need to fit the forward ypipe? last time I heard there is non other than relocating the battery.
pretty much just relocating the battery. but that pretty much goes for all the turbo kits that are already out there..
i was debating whether i should have made a kit exclusively for 5speeds that don't require the relocation of the battery but i felt that it wasn't worthwhile.

i'll ask to see if all the kits can have cut outs made into them.. but that would drive the cost up a tad bit.. maybe by 10bux at most.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

maybe have the cutout as an option that one can put in? Fox example, I'll be needing a T4 flange so maybe u can add the cutout on at the same time. understandably the cost would be a little more.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:04 PM

mingo, this is slightly off topic, but I'm in need of mandrel bent stainless 2 1/2 axle-back piping. Would you be able to have this made for me?

Chris
Old 09-08-2005, 04:25 PM

why not just make the downpipe and foward y-pipe. People are going to want different intercoolers, everything from water/air to air/air. Or some might find ways for shorter intercooler piping, just saying. I would have to see the completed project first.

oh and what about aluminum intercooler piping?
Old 09-08-2005, 05:48 PM

this thread needs pics
Old 09-08-2005, 05:54 PM

aluminum piping cost more and that company doesn't do aluminum piping.. that's why there's the stage 1 and stage 2 kit.. for those that don't want the intercooler piping.

and no i can't get that axel back pipe built.. the place is pretty much like a manufacture, they only make parts in large quantities, making one peice would cost too much.

pix will come soon. hopefully by the end of next week.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:06 PM

awsome man, I think I might get this over the V1 plate............
Old 09-09-2005, 12:24 PM

Interesting stuff. I think the idea is great. Hope it works out well.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:44 PM

hrmm.. i decided against adding a cut out to the pipes.. i figured for those of you that want to run it at the track, just unbolt the exhaust from the axle back..

i'm going to build a 3" exhaust too =D
Old 09-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

hurry up and post some pics , we all waiting to see how it looks...
Old 09-11-2005, 12:19 AM

it'll come soon.. it's being built my car has been in the shop since yesterday...
Old 09-11-2005, 11:31 AM
brotherhood of tq

i think u r now my best freind....get this done so we can have an idea on the price
Old 09-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Brain phuck

Cool!!! maybe I will be able to do my turbo this winter afterall!
Old 09-11-2005, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by smotz
Cool!!! maybe I will be able to do my turbo this winter afterall!
cool, u can get the piping from me first then slowly buy the rest of the kit =D
Old 09-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Rockin' VK56!!

very interesting.....subscribing
Old 09-12-2005, 05:17 AM
aka UNCDooD

Originally Posted by maxima8624
very interesting.....subscribing

ditto on that one.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:28 AM

ohhh hell yeaaaaa......
lets go mingo...i'll be your customer too...
pics and price will be very sweet...
Old 09-12-2005, 03:14 PM

the price should be set tomorrow. the prototype is being finalized today, the jig will be built sometime tomorrow, a production peice will be test fitted on the 4th gen some time next week or maybe by the end of this week, depending on how fast the manufacture works. and pix will come soon =D
Old 09-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Play with my balls

interested in more info on the 5.5gen piping on a 6-speed. actually, just give me all the info you got on in.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:18 PM
aka UNCDooD

any word on a price yet?
Old 09-13-2005, 02:37 PM
brotherhood of tq

i need a ball park figure so i can start saving
Old 09-13-2005, 02:47 PM

first working peice will be made next week

the manufacture had delays... so you all know what that means. but the prototype should be done today.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:08 PM

well i can't wait till the first working piece gets together and we see a price and pics...
Old 09-13-2005, 03:18 PM

the pix will be on a fifth gen. i want to get pix on a fifth gen manual and auto and a fourth gen manual and auto. next week will be very very busy for me since i'll be installing and uninstalling the kit on various cars for pictures.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:55 PM
aka UNCDooD

awesome. can't wait for pics/price.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:54 PM

so far everything is great, the charge pipe is equal length.. these things will start going on sale in about 2 weeks, after i get to test fit them on 4th gens.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:22 PM
aka UNCDooD

any idea on a ballpark price?
Old 09-14-2005, 02:29 PM

yeah.. but i don't want to give a number until i can post up pix... but it'll be well worth it.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:33 PM
brotherhood of tq

i cant wait...im going nuts waiting. but i hope it doesnt cost more then my rims n tires combined

Quick Reply: for those looking for turbo piping