Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Apexi Turbo Timer Write-Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 02:16 AM

Apexi Turbo Timer Write-Up with Pictures

Since you guys have helped me out so much with planning the turbo, I figured Id try to give something back.

The Apexi turbo timer was faily simple. The little box that comes with the unit has three larger wires colored GREEN, RED, and BLUE. These three will mate with 3 wires coming out of the ignition.
-Remove the collar around the steering wheel and find the harness that has six wires going into it from the master key cylinder. Disconnect the harness and use the part that’s not attached to the master key cylinder for doing the splicing. (I don’t recommend cutting wires for splicing, take a razor and lightly cut away 2mm of the insulation your tapping into. Use a pocket screwdriver to make a fish eye. Strip the end of the other wire and put through the hole, twist and put electrical tape around it {you can sauter if you want too}).
-Anyway, the BLUE wire from the Timer splices into the white wire with a blue tracer.
-The GREEN wire on the Timer splices into the black wire with a red tracer.

-However, the RED wire from the timer MUST be tapped into the fuse box because the 12v source to the ignition is ceased when the car is shut off (at least on my '96), and the turbo timer shuts off and no count down will occur. I recommend “add a circuit” from radioshack, it allows you to put a fuse in the circuit for added safety (use 10amp, anything else will blow with the timer). Make sure you put the "add a circuit" into a spare port on the fuse box that has power after the key is removed or you will be cursing this write up (also make sure the fuse is in the "add a circuit" the right way, -a DVOM really helps).

-Now, run the smaller BLACK and WHITE wire that comes with the timer (16 gauge) above the ECU over to the passenger's side (remove the plastic gray covers to do so). This is where the ECU harness is. Look at this diagram: http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...ORENGSWAPS.PDF.
-Figure out on the actual harness where port 50 is (51 will work too) it’s a white wire, and tap it using the Timer’s WHITE wire. (If you want the 02 voltage option.)
-Then find out where port 25 is, repeat process looking for a black wire, and tap it using the Timer’s BLACK wire. (for ground)

-Take the GRAY wire from the Timer and run it to the yellow e-brake wire and tap it (must take center console bolts out and lift it up, no need to remove completly).
-Now find a place to mount it and play. I like the options on this timer, it displays battery voltage and warns you at a certain voltage if its too high or low that you pick. same with 02 voltage. It also give you a/f ratio ( i know they arent usually even right for turbos though). But the coolest part is it determines how hard the car was driven and how long and sets the proper amount of time to set the timer at, or you can manually set it. Car shuts off when ebrake is taken off for security. (this does not affect factory alarm system)

This is where I mounted mine. I ran it behind the radio, drilled a small hole and put the timer on with supplied double sided tape. Leave some slack in that wire because the wires that attach to it are very small and may pull out with tension.

will be found on my cardomain... http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/383353/5
Old 04-17-2005, 04:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

very nice writeup
Old 04-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

good write up ill be using it soon.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:53 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

STICKY!

Can you PM me information about this add a circuit? I need 3 more.