Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Just got the news: SC is FAWKED

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just got the news: SC is FAWKED

Well the blades on my s/c are thrashed the the cylinder closest to my s/c is only puttin out 50? compression ratio compared to all the other cylinders which are at 150+. So how does one go about getting their s/c rebuilt, should I contact vortech directly, and how long does the process usually take?
Thanx
-Arnaud
Old 01-03-2005, 05:24 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Did you suck in a rock or something?!

Sounds like it's going to be expensive with the engine work too.

Vortech can rebuild the S/C if you remove the pulley and the bracket off. Don't know how long, though or how much seeing you need more than just a "rebuild".
Old 01-03-2005, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chunger
Did you suck in a rock or something?!

Sounds like it's going to be expensive with the engine work too.

Vortech can rebuild the S/C if you remove the pulley and the bracket off. Don't know how long, though or how much seeing you need more than just a "rebuild".
I honestly don't know what happened, possibly my filter was dirtier than I thought it was? When my belt snapped it was very cold outside, did my sc seize up? Is this something I can bring to vortech's attention? I am getting a new head gasket and they are fixing the cylinder that went bad. I don't see what else I would need besides the blower being rebuilt and this head being rebuilt is there?
Old 01-03-2005, 10:39 PM

I would love to see pics of that impeller blade.....
Old 01-04-2005, 01:41 AM
Sports Button FTW

dam Arnaud, sorry u going through all this....i'll call u one of these days just to take a look at your car, its been a while.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:14 AM
SLOW

How much is it costing you to fix your motor? it might be cheaper to just replace it. Maxima motors are pretty cheap.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaRider
I honestly don't know what happened, possibly my filter was dirtier than I thought it was? When my belt snapped it was very cold outside, did my sc seize up? Is this something I can bring to vortech's attention? I am getting a new head gasket and they are fixing the cylinder that went bad. I don't see what else I would need besides the blower being rebuilt and this head being rebuilt is there?
the same thing happened to me. the sleeve that holds the filter in place got sucked into the blade causing it to shear and damage the motor. it cost me 500 bucks to have the new blade put in and it took two months for vortech to send it back. stillen had told me it took 3 days but that aint so. i put up a big fight because of this piece that sits right in front of the blade and with time it can move into the blade. stillen did try to make it up to me though. they gave me a complete cross drill rotor and brake set to make it up to me and as far as the engine it cost me about 3500 bucks to get it rebuild because i dont do the used motor thing, i would be back in the shop in no time pushing boost and nitrous.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
How much is it costing you to fix your motor? it might be cheaper to just replace it. Maxima motors are pretty cheap.
My mechanic buddy said to replace the one busted head and have it machined about ~$500, I figure this is cheaper than finding a used motor and paying someone to put it in. Also i was wondering my other cylinders read at 150+ for compression is this too low?

Ian- I will be sure to take pics as soon as I go pick up my car this afternoon.

CMAX - did you go through stillen, or did you deal directly with Vortech? I think I'm just gonna send me blower directly to vortech, I've heard they are much quicker than stealin.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:40 AM
SLOW

Well is the head all that is messed up? It's possible, but i can hardly imagine that to be the case if pieces of the impeller were ingested into the engine, I'd expect the cylinder wall to be scored and the piston itself to even be damaged. Replacing the head won't help a thing if this is the case.

150 compression is low but it's possible you just didn't turn the car over enough when checking the compression and that would explain low but consistent readings on the other 5 cylinders.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:50 AM

150 is extreamly low man.... I did a compression test on my 98 maxima and its was 190 in every cyl. Some diped as low as 187 but still almost perfect.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Well is the head all that is messed up? It's possible, but i can hardly imagine that to be the case if pieces of the impeller were ingested into the engine, I'd expect the cylinder wall to be scored and the piston itself to even be damaged. Replacing the head won't help a thing if this is the case.

150 compression is low but it's possible you just didn't turn the car over enough when checking the compression and that would explain low but consistent readings on the other 5 cylinders.
I'll ask them how they went about it but I'm pretty sure they thoroughly checked it. I mean I drove my car w/o the s/c for a couple of weeks now and it seemed weak but I figured thats just because I am bypassing the S/C. If pieces of the impeller were ingested why would the cylinder farthest from thet throttle body be the only damaged one? I love how this ish always ends up happening to me, arrrrghhhh.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Sports Button FTW

it took roughly 2 months to get my blower back after getting it rebuilt and cost me 400. Matty sent his out recently and it only took a few weeks. This is supposed to be the nonbusy time for vortech, most people put their drag cars to sleep for the winter i guess....
Old 01-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I think you ran lean in that cylinder. Did you ever boost the car while the tank was close to empty? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?
Old 01-04-2005, 08:42 AM

My mechanic buddy said to replace the one busted head and have it machined about ~$500, I figure this is cheaper than finding a used motor and paying someone to put it in. Also i was wondering my other cylinders read at 150+ for compression is this too low?

Ian- I will be sure to take pics as soon as I go pick up my car this afternoon.

CMAX - did you go through stillen, or did you deal directly with Vortech? I think I'm just gonna send me blower directly to vortech, I've heard they are much quicker than stealin.
stillen just gave me the authorization # to send it back because it was under warranty. i sent it directly to vortech but they were backed up and didnt look at it for several weeks. i got the call that it wasnt covered due to foreign matter damaging the blades. like mecca said this is the best time maybe a couple weeks cause theres not a lot of racing going on in the northern parts. p.s its gonna cost about 300-400 just for the head gasket so if your gonna go that route you might as well do both. if you do one side you will have threee good cylinders at least.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:44 AM

Replace the motor with a low mileage one and rebuild the blower, get a stronger engine and start anew....
Old 01-04-2005, 09:15 AM

Agreed, replace the whole motor!
Old 01-04-2005, 09:53 AM

150 is really low. I ran lean in one cylinder and it was still reading 185ish. The rest were in the 190s.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:35 AM

ugh if I have to pull the motor I am selling the S/C, enough with the headaches this is the first time my car has ever given me problems. Anybody know where I can get a cheap VQ, i checked online, cheapest I found was $640 for one with 15k miles.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by 1MAX2NV
I think you ran lean in that cylinder. Did you ever boost the car while the tank was close to empty? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?
I have an FP gauge and never noticed anything irregular. Yes I have boosted on a low tank ONCE and i took it easy on the car until I got to a gas station.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:28 AM

Ok so i've come to the decision to swap my motor and possibly keep the s/c (shhhh don't tell my parents, they'll be pissed) What websites do you recommend to get used motors from, I am thinkin about pickin up a 98 Motor with 15k Miles from Cherry Autoparts Network, they say its in "A" condition and that compression and leakdown tests were performed and its selling for $640 shipped? Any other reliable sources to get engines from cheap online?
Old 01-04-2005, 11:47 AM

Ok so i've come to the decision to swap my motor and possibly keep the s/c (shhhh don't tell my parents, they'll be pissed) What websites do you recommend to get used motors from, I am thinkin about pickin up a 98 Motor with 15k Miles from Cherry Autoparts Network, they say its in "A" condition and that compression and leakdown tests were performed and its selling for $640 shipped? Any other reliable sources to get engines from cheap online?
talk to meccanoble i know he just picked one up a while back. and also saw mill wrecker has some for about 300-500 depending on mileage.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:51 AM

Not a bad deal for shipped..plus a leak down test is the best test without a total tear down. Something failed on your old motor, I would try to use everything you got from the new motor. Unless you really found out what the root cause of the problem, it would sucks to have to do another motor swap later down the road.

Old 01-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

ugh if I have to pull the motor I am selling the S/C, enough with the headaches this is the first time my car has ever given me problems. Anybody know where I can get a cheap VQ, i checked online, cheapest I found was $640 for one with 15k miles.

That is not too bad of a price. I paid $400 delieverd for a 97 75K mile motor and a 1 year warrenty
Old 01-06-2005, 01:43 PM

There is a VQ30DE motor for sale in the DC area Forum, shipping a motor on a palet isn't to $$$$. I paid $80 shipping to NC for my JDM SR20DE I did in my old SE-R....
Old 01-06-2005, 02:02 PM

You paid $800 shipping?!

Or did you mean "$800 shipped"
Old 01-07-2005, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by iansw
You paid $800 shipping?!

Or did you mean "$800 shipped"
$80 for shipping, they shipped it on a palet, strapped down. www.soko.com

I am not sure if they sell the VQs, but I did mention that there is a low mileage VQ for sale in the DC forum....
Old 01-07-2005, 11:21 AM

Link to VQ motor for sale in VA

Getting it shipped to a place with a loading dock will save you some serious $$$$
Old 01-09-2005, 03:35 PM

Thanx for the links and help guys, new motor should be in and running by end of next week I hope, as for the blower, who knows when I'll get that fixed.