Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Have you ever hit 8900+RPM before? I did and....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 05:00 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I had a 03 CL Type S come in after 3 other dealers have missdiagnossed it, car idled very rough and the power was still somewhat there but at idle U could tell it was not fireing right. The other tech who worked on it before me did a compression test, and put a new 02 sensor on it and new Map sensor ( don't ask me why !!! ) Well I looked at the car, it had 19s on it, lowered, 6spd tranny, and young kid driving it. It was over reved - kid admitted to it, he paid for labor to fix his heads- floated some valves and bent them. Acura picked up the tab on the parts. Leak down test showed that the valves have been bent.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Possibly yes, but if its off compression can be off as well cause it could be left open.

To check that I need to pull the entire timing cover and that aint easy or fun, might as well pull the engine for that.

Dixit
Old 05-04-2004, 05:10 PM
drag racing is for wussies

U would be supprised what U can find on DOHC engines once the timing skips, compression could stay the same. What did U get for compression anyways ? I skimmed through this whole tread today not too long ago and I don't recall the #s. Did U do a wet test too ? I seen a few really cheap 1st gen VQs - non K motors for sale on Ebay really cheap. Transfer the lower intake and upper over, basically convert a non K motor into a K motor. I got a overheated VQ35 layn around- accident car, they left the engien runing after they hit a deer. I am not too sure if there is anything left of that engine maybe just a crankshaft.... gonna have to pop that sucka open one day.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:16 PM

Im doing about 200 in eacy cylinder, mainly because it ran very rich due to the charge pipe being blown off while I drove it home. That was the compression the day before I did this to the engine and after its still the same. No change.

My main goal is to get the engine started now with no tranny and see how it reacts.

Dixit
Old 05-04-2004, 05:39 PM

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't a leak down were you take the valve cover off and shot compressed air into the cylinder at the spark plug entry with the engine turned to where all the vavles should be completely sealed, and listen for air escaping the cylinder? It isn't hard to do that at all.

If i am wrong then what is the process i just described called?
Old 05-05-2004, 06:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx

Was racing bags533 on the way home and we took off in 2nd and I shifted into 3rd, and misshifted into 2nd and the tach went to the floor. Emanage tells me I did 8910 rpm on the peak.

Now the bad news, the car doesnt idle too well. It shakes pretty vigourously while in my garage. When I rev it it feels fine but when it gets to idle it shakes. The vacuum is fine. No codes besides my missing tranny code.

Now when I came to a light I couldnt even get it into gear, i had to jam it into gear. Got a feeling maybe the engine is vibrating like crap cause of some in the clutch/plate combo has issues and threw it off balance.

So just did a compression test and everything there is perfect. Every cylinder coming in at 190-195 (mainly due to carbon buildup from running rich when a charge pipe blew off) Next is to probably drop the tranny to see if there is something wrong with the clutch setup. If not I was going to figure out a way to rig the starter to the block so I can start it with no tranny and see if the car runs fine.

Dixit
The problem you are have is bent valves , this happens when the engen is over rev and the top of the pistons hit the oprn valves and bend them ; you could just replase the both heads (v Block ) you should be able to find cylinder heads from WWW.car-parts.com for cheep.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:24 AM

To replace just the heads requires me to remove front and rear timing covers and then remove the heads. I might as well at that point pull the engine as it would be easier to do.

My question is bent valves cause vibration? I didnt think they would. This clearly feeling like when the engine is running that the balance on the crankshaft is off. Just like if you were to spin a wheel and the balance is horribly off. That is exactly what Im experiencing. Not a knocking noise or anthing out of the ordinary.

Dixit
Old 05-05-2004, 08:48 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Pretty close...but you don't remove the valve cover.

You put the engine at TDC on the compression stroke, screw the leakdown tester into the sparkplug hole like a compression tester, and then use compressed air to put X-psi into the cylinder while watching the leakdown tester to see how much psi you're loosing.

Or something along those lines.

Originally Posted by tampamax
Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't a leak down were you take the valve cover off and shot compressed air into the cylinder at the spark plug entry with the engine turned to where all the vavles should be completely sealed, and listen for air escaping the cylinder? It isn't hard to do that at all.

If i am wrong then what is the process i just described called?
Old 05-05-2004, 08:54 AM

To replace just the heads requires me to remove front and rear timing covers and then remove the heads. I might as well at that point pull the engine as it would be easier to do.

My question is bent valves cause vibration? I didnt think they would. This clearly feeling like when the engine is running that the balance on the crankshaft is off. Just like if you were to spin a wheel and the balance is horribly off. That is exactly what Im experiencing. Not a knocking noise or anthing out of the ordinary.

Dixit
If some of the valves are bent then some cylinders won't be developing compression, and the engine will run rough, which can feel like a vibration due to imbalance. A simple compression test ought to determine that.

Another possibility is stretched connecting rod cap bolts, but that would also result in a knocking noise. Maybe a rod itself stretched, throwing the assembly out of balance?
Old 05-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I agree...tensile stress is the killer on internals, which increasing RPM dramatically induce.

I thought our motor is a non-interference design, so you can't hit/bend valves on the pistons?
Old 05-05-2004, 04:03 PM
UCF Lexus

I'm gonna try to get that bell housing to you Dixit, f8ckin people need to answet their phones or else I would've had it tonite.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dixit
Yes Bent Valves Cause vibration and I am 100% confident that the valves are bent . I have this problem at the track and I had this same problem when i mis-shift my car I think you have 24 valves what happend is that you bent a few of them . the Vibration is the result of that not from the crankshaft you would not have a knockin noise persay
you are not starving for oil or have lose valves .I gest replaseing the motor would be better the cost for you engen is not that much .but F.Y.I you have bent valves .Good Luck
Old 05-06-2004, 11:25 AM

Agree!! IMO, those symptoms are bent valves from an over-reved engine. When you do your engine swap, pull down the old head and inspect the valve-stems.. Tell me what you see.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dixit

I have a VQ30DE out of a 99 if you need/want it. it has about 40,000 miles on it. let me know.

Jake
Old 05-06-2004, 08:05 PM

Dixit... I did the same thing at the track a few months back... Went to 2nd instead of 4th from the top of 3rd... I also hit about 9,000rpms... My car still run's fine though, although it ticks a little louder than it used to, but since I've run my 13.2 @ 110... so the car is still strong...