Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Dynoed today, 14:1 AFR on my 10psi SC'ed Maxima. please help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 09:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by [maxi-overdose]
thx Stephen.

btw, from your experience.....if my injectors are clogged...is it possible that I have a good idle and no drivability problem at all while getting a lean mixture and pinging at the mid-high range rpm?

btw, I didnt see my EGT dropped when I heard pinging...it just keep going to 810C at redline.

thx

I don't really have any experience with clogged injectors, but yes, that would be a possible result. The dirty injectors could supply enough fuel for idling and NA operation, but not enough for boosted runs.

It is possible that your EGT could have gone even higher but the detonation limited it to 810C. I say that because 810C seems a little low for a 14:1 afr at 10 psi at redline. Depends a lot on probe location, though. Do you have any EGTs to compare to from earlier runs when you were running rich?
Old 10-17-2003, 10:04 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Do you have a 10:1 FMU disk?

If so, I'd run that and see if it helps bring down the EGTs any. If your plugs are still showing lean, I wouldn't be driving around.

any comments?
Old 10-17-2003, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
I don't really have any experience with clogged injectors, but yes, that would be a possible result. The dirty injectors could supply enough fuel for idling and NA operation, but not enough for boosted runs.

It is possible that your EGT could have gone even higher but the detonation limited it to 810C. I say that because 810C seems a little low for a 14:1 afr at 10 psi at redline. Depends a lot on probe location, though. Do you have any EGTs to compare to from earlier runs when you were running rich?
I will check into cleaning injector. just found out the 3m injector cleaner and tools costs $300....

my EGT proble is located on the ypipe, between front and rear exhaust manifold.

to be precise....when I reprinted the graph and make more area for AFR, I saw it dropped to 13:1, not 14:1. So that might explain the EGT is a bit lower than expected.

my EGT before? it never went over 800, regardless how hard I've tried. It went up to 780 the highest after boosting multiple times on freeway.

thx for helping.

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Do you have a 10:1 FMU disk?

If so, I'd run that and see if it helps bring down the EGTs any. If your plugs are still showing lean, I wouldn't be driving around.

nope, I only have 8:1. I want to see if I can borrow the extra cartech from Kevin and turn it up all the way to 12:1 and monitoring the EGT. I dont need to take her to redline....just want to see if the EGT goes up as quick as before.

you think my plugs look lean? It maybe the flash from the camera. but they seems ok to me. no blister, no melting. there's a light brown coating on the insulator. I mean, it doesnt look rich or super lean...and seems that my car likes it.

here's my plan:

oil change this weekend....and I am going to do an oil report. be prepared to see this one hopefully I can clean the fuel injectors too.

other than that.....I will switch back to the setup I had during the rich run. switch the plug back to stock heat range, take off the fuel pressure sender and exam the tee. Then see if I can troubleshoot from there. If not, I will try to borrow Kevin's cartech or install a walbro high pressure and have my friend's shop test the OEM pump flow.

last thing that I am going to do is replacing the injectors. probably I will try a local junk yard. if I end up doing this, we will have an addtional VQ30DEK injector for testing at RC engineering.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:27 PM

How far are you from:
1728 Border Ave
Torrance, CA. 90501

You might take one in and see if they can match it up with the 350z injectors they have and if it matches their 3XXcc ones, get an adjustable FPR and you're set.

if I end up doing this, we will have an addtional VQ30DEK injector for testing at RC engineering.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:46 PM

How far are you from:
1728 Border Ave
Torrance, CA. 90501
they are in southern CA....I am in the Bay area. so, 400 miles maybe?

You might take one in and see if they can match it up with the 350z injectors they have and if it matches their 3XXcc ones, get an adjustable FPR and you're set.
I will either ship it to them or bring it to them when I visit LA.

I still need the 4:1 disc. or I will flood the engine with the 8:1 and 370 cc injectors.

so 6 injectors - probably 600 dollars included tax/shipping
adjustable FPR - 140
4:1 disc - 30 (probably will be better to sell the FMU and buy a S-FMU)
dyno/tunning - 100

yike~ almost 1000 dollars.

but~ the injector thingy will not happen if I solve the problem and determined that my injectors are working fine, right?

I am still driving the car around. I am careful and try not to boost the car too much.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:41 AM
Jer

Borrow that Cartech

If it starts to snow soon I'll put my car away and ship you my injectors
Old 10-18-2003, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jer
Borrow that Cartech

If it starts to snow soon I'll put my car away and ship you my injectors
I will give Kevin a call see if the cartech will help. hope this problem is something simple.

really? I will definitly pay shipping for both way. and we can test the vq30dek for icey2k1. if every thing went well....we will use RC's 370cc for 350z in no time.

thanks a lot for your help, jer. you sure you dont need the car for the winter?
Old 10-18-2003, 09:48 PM

just a little update:
didnt have time to swap back to stock heat ragne plugs.

add 2 bottles of chevron's concentrated techron. let's see if it will help.

pinging-wise...still going. it doesnt happen all the time. but I heard it one time at 2100rpm light throttle.

what can it be? my EGR valve?
Old 10-20-2003, 10:38 AM

Done yet?

The suspense is killing me!
alright...I checked the sender unit and the tee. seems ok, but the hose's inner coating was peeling off a little so I replaced it with new hose.

again...still hear pinging. it seems that it shows up more often after I have a long drive. but....here is something that I noticed: it happened to me couple times that before a traffic light on a uphill road, the car's rpm will drop significantly and the car almost stalled. I dunno, can be from a dirty air or fuel filter to uneven engine compression.

going to check the plugs today and replace it with my old plugs. if it failed....I will try to borrow a cartech from Kevin and check the EGR valve to see if it got stuck. (dunno if it has anything to do with it)

then the fuel pump

then if all failed.

I will put a stock drive belt back and run it NA for a while to see if the problem goes away. If it pings when I am in NA....then 99% is the fuel injectors going south.

thx
Old 10-20-2003, 11:22 AM

alright...I checked the sender unit and the tee. seems ok, but the hose's inner coating was peeling off a little so I replaced it with new hose.
Couldn't bits of that come off and clog an injector?