Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Belt shredded on V2

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 11:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Belt shredded on V2

Was on the freeway, windows down, stereo booming. Smelled a weird odor and thought it was a dead animal on the road or one of the many 18-wheelers piping noxious fumes from it's exhaust. Then the battery and brake light come on, so I assume it's my battery because I've been having electrical problems with the stereo recently. When I get home 5 minutes later, checked under the hood, belt is shredded. Crap.

Guess I can finally get the 3.125" pulley installed.

I'm getting the Goodyear Gatorback Poly-V belt, part number 4060705. If this one shreds, the SC comes off and goes on the "for sale" forum. I can go without boost until the STi arrives.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

any thoughts what caused it?

rubbing or pulley alignment?
Old 04-09-2003, 12:24 PM

This has actually happened to me twice now. I'm going to my installer tonight to have the belt replaced for the third time. The first time it happened was at my house and the belt just jumped a rib on the pulley. I finally got it fixed friday night and on my way home it shredded again. I had a 3.125 pulley installed while the plate was apart and we did shave the bracket so that didnt shred the belt. A few members on the org suggested that it is an alignment problem and the plate needs to be pulley needs to be moved by placing spacers in between the plate and the blower. Check maxi-overdose's thread on s/c alignment info. it's very informative. Well I hope you figure out what caused the belt shredding, good luck.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by robocop199
This has actually happened to me twice now. I'm going to my installer tonight to have the belt replaced for the third time. The first time it happened was at my house and the belt just jumped a rib on the pulley. I finally got it fixed friday night and on my way home it shredded again. I had a 3.125 pulley installed while the plate was apart and we did shave the bracket so that didnt shred the belt. A few members on the org suggested that it is an alignment problem and the plate needs to be pulley needs to be moved by placing spacers in between the plate and the blower. Check maxi-overdose's thread on s/c alignment info. it's very informative. Well I hope you figure out what caused the belt shredding, good luck.

Do not just drop the car off stay there and see what is the problem. When you remove the plate you will see evidence of what the problem is. I did you can see lots of belt residue on the plate.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:44 PM

Well, the belt was the same one used by the previous owner of the SC from 2+ years ago. It looked in good condition and the shop that installed the SC in my car couldn't get the SC off the bracket to change the belt when they installed it last summer. It's a Gates belt with the stock pulley and DanNY's aluminum idler and tensioner pulleys.

I was making a left turn at an intersection and probably going a little too fast. I didn't notice the oil slick in the left turn lane, so I spun out in the intersection and my car did a 180 spin-slide. Luckily I didn't hit anything, and just kept driving. The force of the slide may have caused the engine mounts to give and the engine buckled or something in the engine bay moved so the belt may have hopped off the pulley tracks then. I kept driving around for another 10 miles, then the battery light turned on, which is when I guess the belt shredded. Before that, it must have been off the tracks, but still turning the pulleys.

Jay25, I will stay with the mechanic, but honestly it's been working fine for a while. I'm not sure what I did today to make it fail, maybe like I said above.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:23 AM

Hi Tan:
where have you been? havent seen you for a while.
sorry to hear about your belt problem. Just wondering, was the belt running in the center of the idler pulley? It should, otherwise, the belt is not aligned. You can also try this when the new belt is in: take a look at the belt and compare the section before the SC pulley to the section after the SC pulley and see if the sections of belt overlap each other. Mine is still off by a rib.

when you go down to a smaller pulley, belt alignment issue may become more noticible, because larger pulley has more surface area to contact with the belt. More contact surface area = better grip to the belt.

They couldnt get the SC off the bracket because the hex bolts are loctited?? Be careful with those bolts, it's very easy to strip them. Several members here use anti-seize on the bolts instead of loctite. If your shop had a hard time dealing with the bolts, ask them to heat up the bracket a little bit and then tap the bolts with a hammer. maxxboost00 used this method to take the blower off for pulley swap. Credit: Jay25.

still in Wyoming?

Originally posted by Tanman
Well, the belt was the same one used by the previous owner of the SC from 2+ years ago. It looked in good condition and the shop that installed the SC in my car couldn't get the SC off the bracket to change the belt when they installed it last summer. It's a Gates belt with the stock pulley and DanNY's aluminum idler and tensioner pulleys.

I was making a left turn at an intersection and probably going a little too fast. I didn't notice the oil slick in the left turn lane, so I spun out in the intersection and my car did a 180 spin-slide. Luckily I didn't hit anything, and just kept driving. The force of the slide may have caused the engine mounts to give and the engine buckled or something in the engine bay moved so the belt may have hopped off the pulley tracks then. I kept driving around for another 10 miles, then the battery light turned on, which is when I guess the belt shredded. Before that, it must have been off the tracks, but still turning the pulleys.

Jay25, I will stay with the mechanic, but honestly it's been working fine for a while. I'm not sure what I did today to make it fail, maybe like I said above.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
Hi Tan:
where have you been? havent seen you for a while.

They couldnt get the SC off the bracket because the hex bolts are loctited?? Be careful with those bolts, it's very easy to strip them. Several members here use anti-seize on the bolts instead of loctite. If your shop had a hard time dealing with the bolts, ask them to heat up the bracket a little bit and then tap the bolts with a hammer. maxxboost00 used this method to take the blower off for pulley swap. Credit: Jay25.

still in Wyoming?
Hey maxi, I've been pretty busy with the move to Wyoming so I haven't had much time to mess with the Maxima or on the forums. Also, I have no place to work on the car because I'm in an apartment now and the parking lots are wide open so anyone can see what I'm doing. The guy who I'm replacing in WY did a bad job, so I've been busy cleaning up and taking care of all the work he didn't do.

I'm kind of nervous about the pulley swap because there's only one tuner shop that I know of in town and they've never worked on a Vortech\Stillen SC before. I'll have to tell them about the plate grinding, alignment, etc, but I don't want to step on their toes. First try, and they think it's only going to take 4 hours for $200. I hope they can do it that quick and reliably. I have to drive long distances for work, so I'd hate to shred a belt on a long empty highway.

Thanks for the suggestions about the belt alignment and removing the bolts from the bracket. Talk to you later,

Tan
Old 04-10-2003, 12:10 PM

Make sure you shave the plate down quite a bit for the 3.125. My installer had to remove the blower again because the plate wasnt shaved enough and it shredded the belt again. Good luck with the install.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:34 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

They couldn't get it off? That's weird! I couldn't do it by hand so I got a local garage to use an air tool to loosen the bolts that held the blower to the plate. I supplied the bits.

I was making a left turn at an intersection and probably going a little too fast. I didn't notice the oil slick in the left turn lane, so I spun out in the intersection and my car did a 180 spin-slide. Luckily I didn't hit anything, and just kept driving. The force of the slide may have caused the engine mounts to give and the engine buckled or something in the engine bay moved so the belt may have hopped off the pulley tracks then.
The blower unit is directly attached to the engine block. Is it possible that the mounting plate is a bit loose?
Old 04-10-2003, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by BlackCat

They couldn't get it off? That's weird! I couldn't do it by hand so I got a local garage to use an air tool to loosen the bolts that held the blower to the plate. I supplied the bits.

The blower unit is directly attached to the engine block. Is it possible that the mounting plate is a bit loose?
Yeah, they claimed they broke two sockets trying to get it off. Supposedly the guy who installed it for the first owner had a special tool he made for the job, but that guy quit so they didn't know what he did with the tool. So we ended up using the same belt that already had 1.5 years on it. It looked to be in good condition, and worked fine for me for 10 months. I don't know for sure what happened to make the belt shred. I assume the belt slipped off the pulley when I slid out, but I can't say for sure. I think the mounting plate is on there pretty tight, but the shop I took it to today should tighten up any loose parts.