Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

S/C operation ...big ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 06:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

S/C operation ...big ???

I had to do some hose repair lately and realized I took everything apart and put it back together not realizing I messed up teh spacing on the tensioner pulley...

so today I fix that and get the belt back on and tightened...here is the quandry I am in ...

1. I have NO boost at all

2. I get NO response from the Blitz DD BOV at all

3. I get recurring lag like a vaccuum leak at 2700-3000 rpm.

4. I get surging in the idle and shuddering in the engine...varies up or down in idle 75-100 rpms between 740 and 650.

I have recently tried to improve general performance by refitting ALL vaccuum connections, checking the gap on the new plugs, and lower the idle fuel pressure with the SARD to about 36...it was 44...right now it is back up to 42. I as well have re-attached all the hoses for the ZEX but have not opened or tested any of that yet.

Please throw out some thoughts...
Old 04-03-2003, 09:40 PM

Re: S/C operation ...big ???

Originally posted by WizzaMax

1. I have NO boost at all

you sure your blower is spinner? the belt got stuck??
Old 04-03-2003, 09:59 PM

The belt and pulley are spinning but I have not taken the filter off during operation to check the vanes inside for movement.

I did remove and clean my filter last week and verified the vanes were clean and moved just by touching them.

right now I have my Bosch bypass valve on instead of the Blitz BOV...since it was not working, I got worried it was stuck...so to prevent damage by no release of pressure, I installed the recirc.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:04 PM

Pull your BOV off. You should get a gust of air at idle coming out of the hole where the BOV goes. This will confirm that air is coming thru or not.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:15 PM

Latin...

I thought to try that earlier today after finishing the swap to the bypass...and since I suffer CRS, it did not happen...I will check in a bit...thanks
Old 04-03-2003, 10:27 PM

Latin...

I thought to try that earlier today after finishing the swap to the bypass...and since I suffer CRS, it did not happen...I will check in a bit...thanks
CRS?
Old 04-03-2003, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by LatinMax

CRS?

C can't

R remember

S $h1+
Old 04-04-2003, 12:21 AM

got it.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:10 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: S/C operation ...big ???

My guess would be that you messed up a vaccum line somewhere. I'd go over all of them again.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:05 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Does that mean that air is continuously shooting out or nothing ever comes out?
Old 04-04-2003, 09:08 AM

do you mean that no air is coming out of the BOV or out of the hole where the BOV goes.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:31 AM

ok so an update...the Zex fpr and manifold vaccuum lines are disconnected and I rechecked all others...I removed the Bosch bypass during running and there WAS air rushing out.

The issue that led me to believe the BOV was not acting right was that it did not move at all during idle revs...general response is that the plunger will rise a bit to show me the gap for escaping air.

The fuel pressure is still at 41-42 psi at idle and unknown at WOT cause I do not feel safe opening it up...basically if I can get the throttle response back to normal within 2500-3000 I will feel better about it...then the issue may be indeed the Zex vaccuum interface placement or possibly the adj FPR vaccuum connection...but I do not believe there is anything wrong with the vaccuum for the FPR...I could be wrong though...I have another hardline available for vaccuum I can switch the FPR line over to in like a second if it does not run better during this road test.

I took it out for a test run...the idle surge is gone, no extra noise but the stutter is still very much there.

the BOV is working as expected. so it remains a mystery as to WTF was wrong...but it did get to about 2 lbs of boost on first test... I am still leary as far as pushing it hard cause of the vaccuum issue...there is nothing more I can do
Old 04-09-2003, 07:49 PM

UPDATE

So the last thing I did was to check the gasket for the throttle body...I did remove it completely when I cleaned the TB a week or so ago.

I already had the new gasket but had yet to put it in...I did, the car ran ok, still had the FP down to about 36...and stutterred still...so today I was messing with it...raised it up to 44 and it nearly runs as strong thru 3000 revs as pre-SC .

I am not certain why the high setting on the FP gauge and regulator requires the setting there but the car is running decent now and I am going on a road trip tomorrow but will tinker with the preload on the BOV before I go in hopes I can get above 3 lbs on the way.

I really want to get some things worked out before next weeks road trip to San Diego.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:01 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)