Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Turbo installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Turbo installation questions

Are the pre made turbo kit a regular bolt on install like the Stillen supercharger or do you have to get a shop to do it? What is involved in the install and is there any directions online for me to take a look at?
Old 03-05-2003, 11:27 PM

What year max we talking about? if it is a 4th gen 95-99 5spd, then Nigel has a bolt on kit. www.pfispeed.com.

If 5th gen 00-03, then it needs to be custom made.

Dixit
Old 03-06-2003, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Old 03-06-2003, 08:43 PM

It's for a 4th gen 5spd. So it's bolt on right? How about welding? I read the bov needs to be welded to the piping. What's involved? Like the battery will need to be relocated and both exhaust manifold will need to be out. What's the install time for a pro mechanic and a diy home mechanic?

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
What year max we talking about? if it is a 4th gen 95-99 5spd, then Nigel has a bolt on kit. www.pfispeed.com.

If 5th gen 00-03, then it needs to be custom made.

Dixit
Old 03-06-2003, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Lonely Driver
It's for a 4th gen 5spd. So it's bolt on right? How about welding? I read the bov needs to be welded to the piping. What's involved? Like the battery will need to be relocated and both exhaust manifold will need to be out. What's the install time for a pro mechanic and a diy home mechanic?

Man you are asking too broad of a question. This is not an intake style install. It is still fairly customized. You need to ask turbo97se about this. He sells the kit. ALL bov flanges need to be welded. Whats involved? A whole lot of work, this aint a 2hr job. Battery needs to be relocated to the trunk, Ypipe needs to be removed, new Ypipe needs to go in place. Then piping to the turbo. Then piping from turbo to intercooler. The intercooler needs to be mounted, the front bumper cover needs to come off for that, then more piping from intercooler to the throttle body. Oil send and return lines need to be run. Fuel management unit has to be installed. Spark plugs changed. Engine oil changed. Gauges installed. Turbo Timer installed. The list goes on and on.

No one is going to have a step by step install on this because it is not like a Stillen supercharger you buy and install in one weekend. Some of this takes better part of two weeks just getting the parts and getting half the crap done. Like I said, this aint an intake install. Requires alot of time and effort.

Dixit
Old 03-07-2003, 01:32 AM

I understand that this is not like an intake install. That's why I have all the questions. I want to see if I'll be able to take on this project. I don't want to drop a few grand on the turbo and find out I can't handle it. I was hoping it'd be sort of like the sc install, but I guess not. That looks like something I could do.

I have some more ?s again. So the pfi kit is not just bolt on? What needs to be customized and what parts take weeks to get a hold of? I know that stuff like the gauges and fuel managing will be different, but the major stuff like piping and exhaust is the same for all 4th gen 5sp right? That's the whole point of making a kit to sell.

I am sorry if I sound like an idiot with all the dumb questions. I just want to get a much info as I can and searching didn't help.

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Man you are asking too broad of a question. This is not an intake style install. It is still fairly customized. You need to ask turbo97se about this. He sells the kit. ALL bov flanges need to be welded. Whats involved? A whole lot of work, this aint a 2hr job. Battery needs to be relocated to the trunk, Ypipe needs to be removed, new Ypipe needs to go in place. Then piping to the turbo. Then piping from turbo to intercooler. The intercooler needs to be mounted, the front bumper cover needs to come off for that, then more piping from intercooler to the throttle body. Oil send and return lines need to be run. Fuel management unit has to be installed. Spark plugs changed. Engine oil changed. Gauges installed. Turbo Timer installed. The list goes on and on.

No one is going to have a step by step install on this because it is not like a Stillen supercharger you buy and install in one weekend. Some of this takes better part of two weeks just getting the parts and getting half the crap done. Like I said, this aint an intake install. Requires alot of time and effort.

Dixit
Old 03-07-2003, 02:51 AM
Administrator

pm / email turbo97se .. he can tell you everything you could posibly want to know about the pfi kit
Old 03-07-2003, 07:37 AM

I'm still stuck here in China! Can't enjoy my max! Life sucks!

Just had to vent there ... sorry!

The kit is as close to bolt on as you can get. Depending on whether or not you get the intercooled version or not, it is straightforward .. (I did not say easy) to install. If you can relocate your battery, install a CAI and y pipe, I would say you are pretty close.

Yes, we have had people with install issues, but thanks to those people, we can understand the issues and fix them. I know Joaquin had a frustrating time, Doug has had a Loooooooong wait and so did Kev, but Kev got his on pretty quickly once we got all the right parts to him. It's thanks to these people, though, that the kit can be improved. It's been a painful learning process and we are still learning things. Kev is very mechnically minded and really knows his way around the max and he even did it without instructions! If I gave them to him, he probaby wouldn't have read them anyway ... typical guy thing!

Well anyway, without the battery relocate and intercooler I think it is easier to install than the S/C and it should be a weekend thing if you get all the right stuff! We'll see how more people do! We have decided to do a core replacement deal on either upper oil pan or valve cover to take some of the pain away too! I have successfully found a way to make it such that the oil drain "fear" that people have about oil flowing sideways now can flow down AND you will not have to drill any holes! Unfortunately it adds some money to the price of the kit but it saves you a couple hours of labour in removing the upper oil pan.

Let me know if you are interested!

Nigel
Old 03-12-2003, 07:45 AM

Oil pan thing?

Originally posted by turbo97SE
I'm still stuck here in China! Can't enjoy my max! Life sucks!

Just had to vent there ... sorry!

The kit is as close to bolt on as you can get. Depending on whether or not you get the intercooled version or not, it is straightforward .. (I did not say easy) to install. If you can relocate your battery, install a CAI and y pipe, I would say you are pretty close.

Yes, we have had people with install issues, but thanks to those people, we can understand the issues and fix them. I know Joaquin had a frustrating time, Doug has had a Loooooooong wait and so did Kev, but Kev got his on pretty quickly once we got all the right parts to him. It's thanks to these people, though, that the kit can be improved. It's been a painful learning process and we are still learning things. Kev is very mechnically minded and really knows his way around the max and he even did it without instructions! If I gave them to him, he probaby wouldn't have read them anyway ... typical guy thing!

Well anyway, without the battery relocate and intercooler I think it is easier to install than the S/C and it should be a weekend thing if you get all the right stuff! We'll see how more people do! We have decided to do a core replacement deal on either upper oil pan or valve cover to take some of the pain away too! I have successfully found a way to make it such that the oil drain "fear" that people have about oil flowing sideways now can flow down AND you will not have to drill any holes! Unfortunately it adds some money to the price of the kit but it saves you a couple hours of labour in removing the upper oil pan.

Let me know if you are interested!

Nigel

Glad to hear you think the install will be "a weekend thing"!!! I'm looking forward to tackling it! How about that oil pan mod you were talking about? Do I have that in my kit?

Deac