4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clear Bumper Lenses Loose Fitting

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2001, 07:08 AM
bigdwiz

Ok guys and gals, I know that question has probably been answered before, but I couldn't find the answer. I installed my clear bumper lamps this morning, and found that the inside lamp (the one that "snaps" in), does not seem to fit very tightly. I used the new plastic catch that came with the lenses, but they still don't seem to fit as good as the originals.

I tried to leave the plastic catch on the lens as I attempted to push it into the hole, but it did not want to cooperate. Then I tried to put the plastic piece in the hole, then push the lens into place. . way too loose. Lastly, I tried to put the plastic piece half way into the hole, then push the lens into place. It worked best of all, but still not as tight as I would like.

Any suggestions, other that securing with a bolt? This would be my last choice, but if it is the only way for it to work properly, then I'll do it. Yes, I have read the "How To" section on replacing bumper lenses.

Thanks in advance for any help.

D

Old 01-13-2001, 07:23 AM
Eman97SE

I had to use a mixed combo of parts. I seem to recall having to take the plugs off the orange lights and put them on the clears, and use the original (orange) retainers. By the way, I bought my clears from Courtesy, so yours may be different.

Old 01-13-2001, 07:43 AM
bigdwiz

Originally posted by Eman97SE
I had to use a mixed combo of parts. I seem to recall having to take the plugs off the orange lights and put them on the clears, and use the original (orange) retainers. By the way, I bought my clears from Courtesy, so yours may be different.
Yeah, mine were from Courtesy also. I'll try what you said. Thanks.

Old 01-13-2001, 07:44 AM

I did the same I took the plugs from the OE lenses and screwed them into my clears and to make them fit even better I bought some 1/4" weatherstripping and applied it around the circumference of the lens far enough back that when installed is invisible.
Old 01-13-2001, 08:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I took a rubber grommet (looks like a little black doughnut) and pushed it around the catch. So what that did was make it hold tighter. They now work like stock.

Easy to steal? Yes, however I'd pay the money to replace them rather then have the pry marks on the nose of my car.

Wizeguy
Old 01-13-2001, 09:30 AM

you know what you gotta do to fix that? Take a very long screwdriver (I used the one that comes with the jack in the back of the car, one of the pieces has a screwdriver tip), and look down from the top of the engine compartment and you should be able to see the backside of that white plastic piece. Take that screwdriver, and use it to push on the backside of the piece, while you shove the clear corner in. You should feel some sort of snap, when it finally fully seats itself. Then give the corner a little tug, just to make sure it really is seated.
Old 01-13-2001, 04:00 PM

Since my lenses were stolen about a month ago, i decided to mount my new set to the car. I used a nut/bolt to hold in the blinker lense and a fat screw to hold in the side piece. I removed the nubby thing on the side marker and just got a wide enough screw to go in the hole. I got acces through stock fog holes. It is very tight in there but its do-able.

As for the lenses being loose. All i did was take this heat-insulated tape (thick padded tape) and built up the back of the side lense with some of it to make it a very snug fit in the bumper. Like i said earlier i used screws to hold in the side lenses instead of that nubby thing thats on it.

** if you want to make the two lenses look like one do the following **
get clear silicone and fill the gap between the blinker lense and the side lense. This will create a seamless look between the two lenses.
Old 01-13-2001, 07:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ok, here is what you need to do, its really easy! (if you live in a high crime area then do thge bolts) but its really simple to fix that.

unscrew the bolt thing on the clear lense (this will extend it) a little at a time until they snap into place fine.

I've had mine in for a long time now with no problems. I tried to force them in at first, this did not work for me. enyoy
Old 01-14-2001, 09:15 PM
bigdwiz

You guys ROCK!! Thanks for all of your advice, I'm sure I can get them tight now!

Peace out