General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HID break in period

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 11:29 PM

HID break in period

I had the hanabi hid kit for my 98 max (7 months)and I was wondering if there is a break in period for the bulbs. I have the blue bulb kit and I was driving around today thinking if they are as bright as it gets? deezo, njmaxseltd, 1hotmax??? any ideas??? Btw, does my sig picture look stupid?
Old 06-03-2002, 01:25 AM

not shure about the HIDs but that sig pic is Huuuge
Old 06-03-2002, 01:41 AM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

Hmm, I don't know about any break in period. Freddie never said anything about that. Is the hanabi's getting dimmer for you? I have had mine for about 2 months now and it is as bright as I first turned them on.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: HID break in period

Originally posted by mikese
I had the hanabi hid kit for my 98 max (7 months)and I was wondering if there is a break in period for the bulbs. I have the blue bulb kit and I was driving around today thinking if they are as bright as it gets? deezo, njmaxseltd, 1hotmax??? any ideas??? Btw, does my sig picture look stupid?
I'm sure there is a burn-in period for every type of bulb but theres no burn in that I'm aware of. It seems that after 3 months of use, one of the bulbs started to look whiter than the other but that has sisce changed and the bulbs kick the same colors now. I've had mine for aqbut 5 months and they're kickin strong.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:38 AM

My hid are as bright as the day I put them on but I think that I read on a post about a break in period, maybe it's just me.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:32 AM

Btw, does my sig picture look stupid?
Nah, to each their own!

I can't believe they don't allow bucket washing
Old 06-03-2002, 02:03 PM

mine seemed to have changed in color and in brightness
Old 06-03-2002, 02:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I like the sig pic... maybe make it a little smaller or trim it so that only your car is in it, but the car looks great in that picture!
-Cyrus
Old 06-03-2002, 02:35 PM

no comment

break in period???
the kit looks the same since day 1.

i've been playing around with different set ups lately so.....
Old 06-03-2002, 08:54 PM

No, there is no bucket washing but I using go at night and bucket washwhen I'm short on $$$ Never got caught. I don't know how to trim and what not so until then ...Thanks Vyrus for the compliment.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:05 PM

I have had my kit for about 3 months now, since the first day i got the kit i had 2 different blues. It really ****** me off! I went back to Freddie and we changed both bulbs and they are still 2 different colors, even after 3 months. I am thinking about selling the kit honeslty.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:39 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I think 30 hours of use was the burn in time for HID bulbs.
Old 06-04-2002, 06:18 AM

if 30 hours is the break in time, then my hid are broken in. looking good njmaxseltd!
Old 06-04-2002, 10:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NYBlakMaxx
I have had my kit for about 3 months now, since the first day i got the kit i had 2 different blues. It really ****** me off! I went back to Freddie and we changed both bulbs and they are still 2 different colors, even after 3 months. I am thinking about selling the kit honeslty.
Were the 2nd set of bulbs not matching from the get go or did they gradually change colors? Because, you should have asked for a swap again. I think once you get a matching set, I don't think the overall color changes that much... Now, being 3 months is a little late to ask for a swap. That being said, I'm very happy with my Hanabi HIDs. Makes night time driving so much more pleasurable.
Old 06-05-2002, 02:56 PM

im not sure about HID bulbs but i know that with those imitation HID super white bulbs and stuff they become brighter and whiter after a few weeks.,
Old 06-05-2002, 03:08 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Originally posted by NYBlakMaxx
that's strange

I've had mine for a few months and they're fine. Sometimes when I turn mine on cold, the bulbs are a tad uneven (color/intensity) but give it a few minutes and they even up.
Old 12-07-2002, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I think 30 hours of use was the burn in time for HID bulbs.
if my bulbs are slightly off now, (like 10 hrs of use) they might turn back into the way color if I run them for 20 hrs?
Old 12-07-2002, 09:22 PM

I love flashing my HID"s!!

Its so fun on my 2k2, i wonder how many times it takes before they blow!!

It seems nissan designed my car so i can flash them at will!! (headlights off, flash to pass on)..

So if nissan gave me the future i will continue to do it!!

ED
Old 12-07-2002, 10:27 PM

I have the Hanabi's from Freddie, the 6500k set. I installed this last Thursday, and have been using them constantly to burn in the bulbs. However, the color of the bulbs do not match. One bulb is a blue color, the other is a white color. Its kind of embarrassing. I called Freddie and he tells me to give it a week to see if the colors even out.

So my question is, do the colors ever even out? I mean, my bulbs are VERY noticeably different color.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by Eric L.
I have the Hanabi's from Freddie, the 6500k set. I installed this last Thursday, and have been using them constantly to burn in the bulbs. However, the color of the bulbs do not match. One bulb is a blue color, the other is a white color. Its kind of embarrassing. I called Freddie and he tells me to give it a week to see if the colors even out.

So my question is, do the colors ever even out? I mean, my bulbs are VERY noticeably different color.
Eric did you get my PM? does my bulb match better than yours?
Old 12-07-2002, 10:29 PM

Just replied to your PM.

Originally posted by costcowholesale

Eric did you get my PM? does my bulb match better than yours?
Old 12-08-2002, 10:19 AM

mine were solid purple for almost the 1st 2weeks i was using them. Now they are lil more whiter and about just as bright. I think im just getting used to seeingthem at night.

Ant
Old 12-08-2002, 10:56 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

mines havent changed since i had them. still bright bright blue/white.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:01 AM
Sin

There is

If you look it up, there is a break in period. After being broken in, your lights will be slightly brighter and have slightly less colour. The break in period varies for differing manufacturers according to the manufacturers. As for my Volvo, about 4-5 months after I installed Philips on it, I noticed a slight increase in brightness and change in colour. This was before I knew about the break in period. I figured something was wrong and that I should try to figure it out. After doing some research, I found out about the break in period.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:54 PM

Re: There is

Originally posted by Sin
If you look it up, there is a break in period. After being broken in, your lights will be slightly brighter and have slightly less colour. The break in period varies for differing manufacturers according to the manufacturers. As for my Volvo, about 4-5 months after I installed Philips on it, I noticed a slight increase in brightness and change in colour. This was before I knew about the break in period. I figured something was wrong and that I should try to figure it out. After doing some research, I found out about the break in period.
if they are slightly off now (color wise, one is like blue/white the other one is white only) do you think they'll match if I give it more time? mine has only been on for less than 10 hours.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:55 PM
Sin

Re: Re: There is

if they are slightly off now (color wise, one is like blue/white the other one is white only) do you think they'll match if I give it more time? mine has only been on for less than 10 hours.
If colouration is not balanced, it's because of low quality bulbs. Sorry, but colour change will most likely not balance out.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: There is

Originally posted by Sin

If colouration is not balanced, it's because of low quality bulbs. Sorry, but colour change will most likely not balance out.
they don't look that off http://www.pbase.com/image/8501769
when I'm a few inch of someone's bumper i can see one light whiter than the other one. They're osram D2R bulbs.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:59 PM
Sin

Re: Re: Re: Re: There is

they don't look that off http://www.pbase.com/image/8501769
when I'm a few inch of someone's bumper i can see one light whiter than the other one. They're osram D2R bulbs.
Osram huh? What are the rest of the component manufacturers?
Old 12-08-2002, 01:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: There is

Originally posted by Sin

Osram huh? What are the rest of the component manufacturers?
osram everything http://www.pbase.com/image/8458244
Old 12-08-2002, 01:08 PM
Sin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: There is

osram everything http://www.pbase.com/image/8458242
That's odd because I've always thought of Osram as a good company. Personally, I'm a Philips fan. I won't buy any HID components unless they are made by Philips, although I also hold high opinions of Osram and Sylvania (btw, some of these companies are actually the same as a result of some buy overs, although I can't remember which are which). BTW, are you sure the bulbs are Osram? You can see the Osram on the ballast, but are you sure about the bulbs? And hopefully, the ballasts are genuine Osram.

What you might want to try is switching left and right bulbs and seeing if the colour difference persists. If they do, try a warranty replacement.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: There is

Originally posted by Sin

That's odd because I've always thought of Osram as a good company. Personally, I'm a Philips fan. I won't buy any HID components unless they are made by Philips, although I also hold high opinions of Osram and Sylvania (btw, some of these companies are actually the same as a result of some buy overs, although I can't remember which are which). BTW, are you sure the bulbs are Osram? You can see the Osram on the ballast, but are you sure about the bulbs? And hopefully, the ballasts are genuine Osram.

What you might want to try is switching left and right bulbs and seeing if the colour difference persists. If they do, try a warranty replacement.
the bulb's case doesn't say osram but it is etched onto the black plastic of the bulb. I don't really mine, they're not that noticable but I'm just wondering if they'll match if I use them more.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:13 PM
Sin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: There is

the bulb's case doesn't say osram but it is etched onto the black plastic of the bulb. I don't really mine, they're not that noticable but I'm just wondering if they'll match if I use them more.
If you don't really mind, then that's fine. There is the possibility that they will eventually match up after break in. But I've been involved with many halogen to HID upgrades now (over 20 of my friends and friends of friends) that I have helped install, and of all of them, they either matched up from the very beginning and stayed matched up, or they didn't match up and never matched up. Then again, you may get lucky and they will.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: There is

Originally posted by Sin

If you don't really mind, then that's fine. There is the possibility that they will eventually match up after break in. But I've been involved with many halogen to HID upgrades now (over 20 of my friends and friends of friends) that I have helped install, and of all of them, they either matched up from the very beginning and stayed matched up, or they didn't match up and never matched up. Then again, you may get lucky and they will.
where they off a lot? the ones that didn't match... or do they look like mine? mine is only a little off.

maybe next year i can pick some 6000k bulb up?
Old 12-08-2002, 01:26 PM
Sin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: There is

where they off a lot? the ones that didn't match... or do they look like mine? mine is only a little off.

The ones that were off were generally off enough that they would bother me. How much off? Well, it's kinda hard to describe. And it's hard to compare to your pics because as I am sure you are aware, HID's don't show very well in pics.

All I can say is, if you don't mind, leave it alone. If you do mind, get a warranty claim.

As for 6000K bulbs, I wouldn't bother. I personally believe in ONLY using kits that the manufacturer pairs together, i.e. if switching bulbs, I would switch to the recommended ballast by the manufacturer. So if you want to switch bulbs, I would contact Osram first to enquire as to the compatability of the bulbs you want to use with the ballasts you have.

BTW, when I think about your situation, assuming you have high quality Osram parts throughout, the only reason I can think of that the colours don't match is that one of the bulbs is used. As bulbs break in, they are very non-coloured at first. At the end of the break in period, they are as white as they are ever going to get. After that, they tend to colour more and more until they burn out.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: There is

Mine are way off. One is Acura TL HID color (a whitish yellow) and the other is an Audi HID blue (you know the purplish blue). I will be contacting Freddie for replacements soon.