5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Headlamp replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 09:48 PM

Headlamp replacement

OK - I know this sounds stupid, but I can't get the connector off the back of the headlight H4 bulbs. I don't want to break anything, so I thought I would ask somebody with experience....is there a way to remove the wiring plug easily??? I pryed up the rubber shield and undid the clips so that I had the whole bulb assembly in my hand and I still couldn't get the bulb unplugged from the wiring harness. Is there a trick to doing this?

Looks like there are some side clips on the plug that engage the bulb, but I couldn't get both sides pryed up at the same time and apply force to pull off the bulb. The bulbs are still good - just trying to upgrade - don't want to destroy the OEM bulbs so I can keep them as spares.

What is the secret to getting these out???
Thanks in advance
FredA
2000 SE and 2001 SE
Old 01-27-2002, 11:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah it sometimes hard. But I can only say this, grab both ends from the side and pull directly backwards. Then it comes off. It is tough, but it will work. Dont worry about breaking anything, cause nothing should.

Sometimes if that dont work, just pull the plug off in different angles like a little to the left or the right or the top or bottom. Them clips on the connectors are a beast at holding the bulb.

Dixit
Old 01-28-2002, 04:49 AM
Got Bent?

once you replace the bulbs, use a little dielectric grease so they don't get stuck again like that.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
once you replace the bulbs, use a little dielectric grease so they don't get stuck again like that.
Nauman, they already have a crap load of that grease on there. It is just the spade clips that hold onto the H4 pins are very tight and once it gets lodged into that hole in the pin, it is crazy hard to get it out.

Dixit
Old 01-28-2002, 09:28 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Nauman, they already have a crap load of that grease on there. It is just the spade clips that hold onto the H4 pins are very tight and once it gets lodged into that hole in the pin, it is crazy hard to get it out.

Dixit

hmm... mine didn't have that much grease when I removed them
Old 01-28-2002, 09:32 AM

Damn, mine was loaded with it, I had to wipe off excess. I did not like getting my hands all greasy and all.

Dixit
Old 01-28-2002, 10:34 AM

I thought I was the only one having that problem.. I still have yet successful take the plug out.... yet.
Old 01-28-2002, 04:03 PM

i had to use pliers to squeeze the clips cuz it was so tight, and i didnt have any grease
Old 01-29-2002, 01:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

u got robbed!!!
Old 01-29-2002, 01:06 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Man when I removed mine I has so much grease I could have bottled the extra and sold it. It was a pain when I put in my HIDs the **** was everywhere.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:21 PM

OK, I'm confused - so do you pry the clips outward, squeeze them inward, just pull hard or wriggle while pulling hard...it's hard to tell from all the replys to this thread.

I'm assuming that you do this with the bulb still in the fixture. Sounds like you just pull (hard with wiggle) the wiring plug off the back of the bulb. Then remove the rubber cover and unsnap the bulb clips. Is this correct?

An yes, I've got tons of grease...way more than needed.

If I ever get the bulbs out, I'm putting in NARVA "Range Power Blue"
replacements - recommended by the parts guy at the dealership. They are German - he says they are as good as PIAA, only $16 each - uses them in his Max. Anybody heard of them - opinions????

Thanks for all the help.
FredA
Old 01-29-2002, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by freda
OK, I'm confused - so do you pry the clips outward, squeeze them inward, just pull hard or wriggle while pulling hard...it's hard to tell from all the replys to this thread.

I'm assuming that you do this with the bulb still in the fixture. Sounds like you just pull (hard with wiggle) the wiring plug off the back of the bulb. Then remove the rubber cover and unsnap the bulb clips. Is this correct?

An yes, I've got tons of grease...way more than needed.

If I ever get the bulbs out, I'm putting in NARVA "Range Power Blue"
replacements - recommended by the parts guy at the dealership. They are German - he says they are as good as PIAA, only $16 each - uses them in his Max. Anybody heard of them - opinions????

Thanks for all the help.
FredA
Sorry for all the confusion in the replies, but you dont pry the clips, you cant.

Just pull hard straight back. If that dont work, grab it with your thumb and first finger, with sort of the back of the sock in your palms, and just pull. That normally does the trick.

Dixit
Old 01-29-2002, 08:54 PM

Thank for clarifying this.

BTW - my Courtesy FSTB came today - hope that's easier to install
Old 01-29-2002, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by freda
Thank for clarifying this.

BTW - my Courtesy FSTB came today - hope that's easier to install
Oh yeah, as long as it aint a 4th gen FSTB where you have to hack saw off a piece off the stock airbox bracket, then you cool

Dixit
Old 01-29-2002, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Oh yeah, as long as it aint a 4th gen FSTB where you have to hack saw off a piece off the stock airbox bracket, then you cool

Dixit
Steve @ Courtesy and I talked about it - he knows it's for my 2k1SE and that if I like it, then I'll order on for the wife's 2kSE. Hopefully after all that, he wouldn't send me a 4th-gen one.

He also said that the next tweak to do was install graphite torsion bushings. I haven't seen anybody talk about this on the forums. Any thoughts on this???

Thanks again for all the help.