4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Lite Glow Neon Rods

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 05:58 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

Lite Glow Neon Rods

so i'm walking around target and i notice that they sell the 10'' rods. they come standard with a cigarette adapter plug. my question is, if i want to put a rod under the driver's dash and one under the passenger's dash, how do i go about connecting both of them to the cigarette adapter?
Old 01-20-2002, 06:20 PM

Re: Lite Glow Neon Rods

Somewhere near that section in the store, you'll probably find an adapter for the cigarette lighter, that'll make another 3 adapters, kinda like a power bar does to the ac adapter in your house. So, you'll plug in the adapter, then you can plug up to three things using your cigarette lighter... it might be kinda clumsy on the dash, but that's one solution.

-Phantom

Originally posted by KrZyMaX
so i'm walking around target and i notice that they sell the 10'' rods. they come standard with a cigarette adapter plug. my question is, if i want to put a rod under the driver's dash and one under the passenger's dash, how do i go about connecting both of them to the cigarette adapter?
Old 01-20-2002, 08:44 PM

Wal-Mart has the same ones for only $10...You can thank me later. Anyways, just cut the wires on the neon and wire them directly to the battery,fuse box, whatever, then put a switch between the power or ground, your choice, and forget about the cigarette adapters. It will take more time, but will look great!
Rob
Old 01-20-2002, 08:55 PM

i put neons under my seats and wired them together to the battery hen run your ground and to a switch. looks sweet at night
Old 01-20-2002, 09:11 PM

street-glow

Originally posted by euromaxima
i put neons under my seats and wired them together to the battery hen run your ground and to a switch. looks sweet at night

I got my 15" street glow neon blue accent tube today, and i was testing out the looks of it still plugged into the lighter.....and the best was under the glove compartment on the passenger side & probably under pedals(but i got indiglo pedals already) ..... I tried the under the seat thing....but it didn't look too good cuz it wasn't bright enough...the seat carpeting and stuff covered most of the light.

I'm also getting in the street-glow neon blue wires 10ft ..... im gonna see what i can do with that too.

but defintely take the wires out of the cig adapter and rewire them...i suggest the tail light on yer fuse block....that way it only turns on when u turn on lights in yer car (meaning its night)

good luck.
Old 01-20-2002, 09:14 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

i understand what you guys are saying, but the only problem is... i'm not really sure how to do all that. which parts do i buy and where can i get them? is there a place where i can get written instructions?
Old 01-20-2002, 09:17 PM

u can cut off the connectors and tap them into the light bulb inside your cigarette lighter.....makes it look much cleaner
Old 01-20-2002, 10:57 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

Re: street-glow

Originally posted by itsgt

I got my 15" street glow neon blue accent tube today, and i was testing out the looks of it still plugged into the lighter.....and the best was under the glove compartment on the passenger side & probably under pedals(but i got indiglo pedals already) ..... I tried the under the seat thing....but it didn't look too good cuz it wasn't bright enough...the seat carpeting and stuff covered most of the light.

I'm also getting in the street-glow neon blue wires 10ft ..... im gonna see what i can do with that too.

but defintely take the wires out of the cig adapter and rewire them...i suggest the tail light on yer fuse block....that way it only turns on when u turn on lights in yer car (meaning its night)

good luck.
where did you purchase your neon rods from? are there directions on how to rewire them to my fuse block? thanx.
Old 07-12-2002, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Rino1313
Wal-Mart has the same ones for only $10...You can thank me later. Anyways, just cut the wires on the neon and wire them directly to the battery,fuse box, whatever, then put a switch between the power or ground, your choice, and forget about the cigarette adapters. It will take more time, but will look great!
Rob
I know this is kinda outdated thread but I'm looking to see how I can put neons under the dash(footrest). I'm either going to cut the neon wire and connect them to either fuse box, or cig light.
Help me on this..
If I tap it to the cig light, it will always be on right? Unless I put a switch in between. I dont want to install a switch, but I want the neons to turn on when I turn the head lights on, so should I wire it to the fuse box? If I do, its the fuse box thats above the break pedal right? Sorry, I'm a newbie to the fuse box area.. Some step by step would be very helpful. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2002, 12:53 PM

Pic that I would like it to look like:

http://www.custommaxima.com/LiteGlowNeon.html
Old 07-12-2002, 01:08 PM

Hahaha Target, I work there. Anyway, just wire one wire to power and the other to ground, make sure u ground though. If you hve any q's email me at homerbaffoon@aol.com
Old 07-12-2002, 01:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Max4Good

I know this is kinda outdated thread but I'm looking to see how I can put neons under the dash(footrest). I'm either going to cut the neon wire and connect them to either fuse box, or cig light.
Help me on this..
If I tap it to the cig light, it will always be on right? Unless I put a switch in between. I dont want to install a switch, but I want the neons to turn on when I turn the head lights on, so should I wire it to the fuse box? If I do, its the fuse box thats above the break pedal right? Sorry, I'm a newbie to the fuse box area.. Some step by step would be very helpful. Thanks.
ya, i jus did this. it's pretty easy. this is what i did. i picked up a switch from radio shack, and wired a power from my cigarette lighter FUSE to the switch, and the power from the neons (which goes to a transformer thing, and then splits off into the 2 neons in mah driver and passenger side footwells). this way, i can jus flip the switch to turn on mah neons, but mah key has to be turned at least to the ACC position. also you have to wire the ground wire. I used the same ground as mah indiglo gauges. I dropped the steering column down, and there's a screw in the bak behind the gauge cluster that werks. i knew that was a good ground cuz thas what mah indiglo gauges were grounded to, so i didnt' bother lookin newhere else, but u can try to find another one. hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2002, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by aznsap

ya, i jus did this. it's pretty easy. this is what i did. i picked up a switch from radio shack, and wired a power from my cigarette lighter FUSE to the switch, and the power from the neons (which goes to a transformer thing, and then splits off into the 2 neons in mah driver and passenger side footwells). this way, i can jus flip the switch to turn on mah neons, but mah key has to be turned at least to the ACC position. also you have to wire the ground wire. I used the same ground as mah indiglo gauges. I dropped the steering column down, and there's a screw in the bak behind the gauge cluster that werks. i knew that was a good ground cuz thas what mah indiglo gauges were grounded to, so i didnt' bother lookin newhere else, but u can try to find another one. hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. If I didn't want to use a switch, I would have to hook it up to the fuse box right? Do you know how I would do this?
Old 07-12-2002, 01:29 PM

Man I don't know WHAT english class you took, but whatever it was SIGN ME UP!!
Old 07-12-2002, 01:31 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

haha I bought one of those last year from Walmart for 10 bucks too. Cool thing about it was it was sound sensative so u can either switch to stay continuously on or have it light up to sound... it was pretty damn cool, it still in my celica
Old 07-12-2002, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by nadir_s
haha I bought one of those last year from Walmart for 10 bucks too. Cool thing about it was it was sound sensative so u can either switch to stay continuously on or have it light up to sound... it was pretty damn cool, it still in my celica
actually, using a switch isnt a bad idea. I'll turn it on only when i want to. Could one of these switches from radioshack work? If so, how can i use these fellas...

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=275%2D730

great help guys, thx
Old 07-12-2002, 03:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

actually, using a switch isnt a bad idea. I'll turn it on only when i want to. Could one of these switches from radioshack work? If so, how can i use these fellas...

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=275%2D730

great help guys, thx
ya, im pretty sure any switch will work. i have a small silver colored lever, and i just hooked it up to my fuse box cover, so it's hidden, but i can switch it on/off easily. okay, to wire to the fuse, this is what i did. you have to cut the wire and have a little bit of wire exposed at the end, an 1/2" or so. just pull out the fuse and wrap the wire around one of the metal contacts, and jam the fuse back in (i used cigarette lighter fuse btw). this will be your source of power. then run this wire to your switch, which should have at least 2 prongs sticking out. wire it to one of the prongs, and the other prong will have a wire running power directly to your neons. make sure when u wire to the switch, the 2 wires don't touch. be generous with the electrical tape. feel free to ask any more questions.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:48 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

wow. talk about coming back from the dead. yet, i still haven't wired these suckers to a switch yet. i guess i will now with the new write-up. thanks guys.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:10 PM

i have 2 blue 15" neon rods under the dash (driver side and passanger side) i spliced them in to the wires for the cigerete ligter and on a switch because its illegal to have them in your car so when i get pulled over i can just turn them off

97BLKMAXSE
Old 07-12-2002, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by 97BLKMAXSE
i have 2 blue 15" neon rods under the dash (driver side and passanger side) i spliced them in to the wires for the cigerete ligter and on a switch because its illegal to have them in your car so when i get pulled over i can just turn them off

97BLKMAXSE
when you spliced the wires to the cig lig, if dont mind, how did you do it? Did you open up the bose deck cover and took out the cig lig? steps on how you did this would definately help..
Old 07-12-2002, 11:26 PM

when you spliced the wires to the cig lig, if dont mind, how did you do it? Did you open up the bose deck cover and took out the cig lig? steps on how you did this would definately help..
i took apart the whole dash with the stereo everything in the middle then just cut and spliced to install the lights them selves i had to take out the glove box and i found a metle bar there and was able to use zip ties to hold it on and on the drivers side i was able to screw one side and used a zip tie for the other end let me know if you have any more questions

97BLKMAXSE
Old 07-13-2002, 01:07 AM

ya, im pretty sure any switch will work. i have a small silver colored lever, and i just hooked it up to my fuse box cover, so it's hidden, but i can switch it on/off easily. okay, to wire to the fuse, this is what i did. you have to cut the wire and have a little bit of wire exposed at the end, an 1/2" or so. just pull out the fuse and wrap the wire around one of the metal contacts, and jam the fuse back in (i used cigarette lighter fuse btw). this will be your source of power. then run this wire to your switch, which should have at least 2 prongs sticking out. wire it to one of the prongs, and the other prong will have a wire running power directly to your neons. make sure when u wire to the switch, the 2 wires don't touch. be generous with the electrical tape. feel free to ask any more questions.
Ok, I had to dig wayyyy back(usin search) to find this... DCmax, who used the fuse box idea(jamming the fuse back in with the neon power wire) with 2 neon tubes, one for driver side and one for passenger side. Result was that he almost burned his car. He tried again and still burned his wires. I think he tried what 97BLKMAXSE did(tapping the cig lig wire to power 2 neon tubes) and blew cig lig fuse.. I don't know if he was unlucky but seems like tappin into cig lig is not a such a good option. DCmax did something with the head unit(I think), but this takes too much work because I would need to take out the whole center console out(and everyone knows its kinda pain in the *** to do this...).
However, I'm tempted to try the fuse box jamming option.. Sounds very easy. However, I'm going to need a professional help on this: Will it be safe to hook up 2 10" neon tubes to it? Like not burn any wires or set my car on fire... I'm thinking of combining the + wires of the two neon tubes, same for - wires, and jam the combined + wire to the cig lig fuse hole and ground the combined - wire to any metal surface. Correct me if i'm doing something wrong. Oh yea, I will probably attach a switch also..