4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Finishing Interior Swap, whos done this???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 01:50 PM

Finishing Interior Swap, whos done this???

So yeah my car is has nothing inside of it right now beacause im doing a swap from tan to black, ill post pics soon. How many people have done interior swaps or have pics of it id like to see what yours looks like. I got heated leather seats from a junk yard and if i hadnt got them when i did they would have been ruined but i dryed them out and tonight im putting them in, i got the headliner and carpet from a junk yard in spanaway(Roy Y) and i had to clean up some stains but turns out there nicer than my carpet. Door panel are black with black leather inserts and surprise surprise from a junk yard. Tell me what you guy s have done. Thanks
Old 03-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have done this mod only to the dashboard and center console. I used SEM Colorcoat "Flat Black" spray paint. If I had to do it over again, I would've used G2 Interior Color spray paint, because the paint kinda chips easily if you scratch it. I was planning on doing the door panels, but decided I would rather buy the door panels itself. Overall I would rate my job from 1-10 scale, I'd give myself a 8, just because of a little bit of overspray. I have some pics from a friend of mine Ian did (he's also listed on the org). If you want them, give me your email address and I'll send them to you. Can you get anymore black interior pieces from your junkyard for me? My local junkyard has no maximas and I'm stuck in a jam. I need door panels, carpet, and headliner, etc. If you look into this for me, it would be a real help to me man. Later! Ryan
Old 03-05-2004, 03:24 PM
vsamoylov

i did the interior swap on my car. pretty simple if you know what you are doing.

Old 03-05-2004, 04:55 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Ryan where is Redneckville, ME? Is that by Hicktown? LOL. NO really where are you? You know here in the Portland area tring to find a junked max is imposible. I've been trying for years.

Back to the topic.... I did a full interior swap in a 3rd gen, but shortly after the car got totaled...so no pics. But just you wait, it will be so worth it in the long run. Leather is the ba11z and in the winther the heaters are even better. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima10to1
Ryan where is Redneckville, ME? Is that by Hicktown? LOL. NO really where are you? You know here in the Portland area tring to find a junked max is imposible. I've been trying for years.

Back to the topic.... I did a full interior swap in a 3rd gen, but shortly after the car got totaled...so no pics. But just you wait, it will be so worth it in the long run. Leather is the ba11z and in the winther the heaters are even better. Good luck.

I'm located in the Bangor area.....so far, I've tried 3 of the local junkyards and nothing here for maximas...the org and ebay is my only ally
Old 03-05-2004, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by rwatt1981
I'm located in the Bangor area.....so far, I've tried 3 of the local junkyards and nothing here for maximas...the org and ebay is my only ally
heh, I wanted to do this but when I called the junkyards I could hear them laughing at me in the background. ****ers. :P
Old 03-05-2004, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by helaesus2
heh, I wanted to do this but when I called the junkyards I could hear them laughing at me in the background. ****ers. :P

what did you tell them to make them laugh?
Old 03-05-2004, 06:23 PM

People around here drive cars until they are ragged the hell out. There are no wrecks or whatever to scavenge from. When I told them I was looking for a maxima with a intact black interior that I could buy they just laughed at me. I hate rednecks.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:32 PM
Custom User Title

A guy named SWEETSOUND2001 has done a full interior swap....

Page 9:
www.cardomain.com/id/sweetsound2001

I plan on going from tan to black really soon.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Former Vendor

have you taken the dash out yet? i would not recommend trying it by yourself.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:43 PM

i wouldnt have expected a junk yard in roy to have anything. I thought the only thing out there was nothing but insest
Old 03-05-2004, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
have you taken the dash out yet? i would not recommend trying it by yourself.

I took out the dash, sure it's a pain in the ****, but working on your car is not a walk in the park....some org members told me not to paint the dash saying it was but i said *** it. it came out pretty good,,i give it a 8/10. it is time consuming and it's awkward putting back in because it's pretty heavy, i didnt ask anyone for help. so don't be intimidated to do it, anyone can do it as long as you have a manual handy and remember which parts go where...good luck!
Old 03-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Former Vendor

I took out the dash, sure it's a pain in the ****, but working on your car is not a walk in the park....some org members told me not to paint the dash saying it was but i said *** it. it came out pretty good,,i give it a 8/10. it is time consuming and it's awkward putting back in because it's pretty heavy, i didnt ask anyone for help. so don't be intimidated to do it, anyone can do it as long as you have a manual handy and remember which parts go where...good luck!
im glad to see that some people still think and work for themselves. i took mine out and put it back in also, but i made some mistakes that could have been avoided with two people. now i have to recruit somebody to help me take it out, fix it, and put it back in.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
im glad to see that some people still think and work for themselves. i took mine out and put it back in also, but i made some mistakes that could have been avoided with two people. now i have to recruit somebody to help me take it out, fix it, and put it back in.

what did you do to it? break it somehow?
Old 03-05-2004, 08:19 PM

I have done this mod only to the dashboard and center console. I used SEM Colorcoat "Flat Black" spray paint. If I had to do it over again, I would've used G2 Interior Color spray paint, because the paint kinda chips easily if you scratch it. I was planning on doing the door panels, but decided I would rather buy the door panels itself. Overall I would rate my job from 1-10 scale, I'd give myself a 8, just because of a little bit of overspray. I have some pics from a friend of mine Ian did (he's also listed on the org). If you want them, give me your email address and I'll send them to you. Can you get anymore black interior pieces from your junkyard for me? My local junkyard has no maximas and I'm stuck in a jam. I need door panels, carpet, and headliner, etc. If you look into this for me, it would be a real help to me man. Later! Ryan
Hey do you think you could email me the pictures of your interior. I've been wanting to do this for awhile but I always wanted to see some pics of it first. Send it to mahstylezxclusiv@hotmail.com if u can, thanks alot.

Chris
Old 03-05-2004, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by conz35
So yeah my car is has nothing inside of it right now beacause im doing a swap from tan to black, ill post pics soon. How many people have done interior swaps or have pics of it id like to see what yours looks like. I got heated leather seats from a junk yard and if i hadnt got them when i did they would have been ruined but i dryed them out and tonight im putting them in, i got the headliner and carpet from a junk yard in spanaway(Roy Y) and i had to clean up some stains but turns out there nicer than my carpet. Door panel are black with black leather inserts and surprise surprise from a junk yard. Tell me what you guy s have done. Thanks

How much did you have to pay for the Leather seats and door panels?
Old 03-05-2004, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mahstylez
Hey do you think you could email me the pictures of your interior. I've been wanting to do this for awhile but I always wanted to see some pics of it first. Send it to mahstylezxclusiv@hotmail.com if u can, thanks alot.

Chris
I emailed you some pics....this is not my car, it's a member of the org's who did the conversion...he used SEM Colorcoat paint like I did (I reccomend G2 interior spray because it doesnt scratch or rub off)....hope the pics inspire you to do this mod because I did and I'm pleased.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:13 AM
Former Vendor

what did you do to it? break it somehow?
i bent the 3 mounting tabs along the top back, now my dash isn't perfectly aligned. also, i have a couple ratlles i need to tighten up.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:22 AM

Hey guys, first off i wanna start by mentioning that the VIN number is on the dash, how do you guys deal with that, cause i know for a fact that thats not easy to move and if it looks the slightest bit tampered with you are spending the night in a police cage. Also both black and tan have their advantages and i prefer black but i dont know why you guys tare your car apart just to change that. For those looking for black interior and cant find it, come to the NYC yards and if they dont have, theyll steal it for you overnight (I <3 NY). If you got the C.R.E.A.M. theres no need to dream
Old 03-07-2004, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Certified Beast
Hey guys, first off i wanna start by mentioning that the VIN number is on the dash, how do you guys deal with that, cause i know for a fact that thats not easy to move and if it looks the slightest bit tampered with you are spending the night in a police cage. Also both black and tan have their advantages and i prefer black but i dont know why you guys tare your car apart just to change that. For those looking for black interior and cant find it, come to the NYC yards and if they dont have, theyll steal it for you overnight (I <3 NY). If you got the C.R.E.A.M. theres no need to dream

Hey what junkyards do you know that hold maximas? Any in bk? You know any other junkyards I could check? I'm up by the Tappan Zee Bridge and I haven't found anything. Let me know if you got info, thanks.

Chris
Old 03-07-2004, 08:45 PM

Hey good luck, I'm down in road in Olympia, and I have found lots of success in Roy and Puyallup for various cars I've owned.
I am halfway done putting in a tan leather set into a Rosewood SE originally with cloth SE seats. My SE got in a parking lot ding up , (don't lend your car to a highschool driver ), but I will probably start anyway , however they have to pull the door panel off, so while they take it off I'm swapping the leather insert in. As I haven't installed the replacement fronts yet, I am not sure if my seats are heated, but if not, it would be nice to get the heaters added.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by topdog1207
i wouldnt have expected a junk yard in roy to have anything. I thought the only thing out there was nothing but insest
i live 2 blocks from there. not many of us brothas out there though.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:37 PM

are the heated seat plugs in you car already?
Old 03-07-2004, 10:08 PM
SomePsychoGuy

I really want to convert my tan leather to black leather b/c I have a black car. Several of my friends say it will not be worth it, including h2kfrosty. I think it really would be. Would you say it was worth it, how much work would this involve, and approximately how much money would this take?
Old 03-07-2004, 10:08 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I've done this swap...

see page 3 of my cardomain site..

www.cardomain.com/id/nycemaxima

I swapped out everything. Carpet, door panels, headliner, etc.. i actually had to re-upholster the headliner and did the same for the seats..

i dye'd the passanger side air bag black along with a few other misc. plastics.. i had just seen my 97 recently, since i sold it to a friend and the air bag held up 100%. I reccomend you use a lot of caution taking out the air bag. Disconnect the battery.. you also need some special tool to remove it, i had to make my own.

As far as the VIN.. Carefully remove it from the stock dash and slap it back onto the new dash.. i did it and it came out fine.

all together, a real pain in the ***.. but if you can get your hands on the ENTIRE interior, every single little vent or clip.. you can do it.. but i think it's cheaper and 10X less hassle to sell your car and buy one with a black interior..

see my cardomain site for some pics of the process and details...

you can PM me if you need any more info, i don't visit the 4th gen forum much anymore..
Old 03-07-2004, 10:16 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

NYC junkyards don't have much maximas...

i know some parts of Brooklyn have those shady yards that Certified Beast is probably talking about.. they'll get you what you need by stealing someone elses ****..

i looked long and hard for my interior around NYC yards.. not only did they not have any black interiors, they didn't even have any 4th gens.. I finally found a beige 95 GXE at one of the yards at Shea stadium. It was already stripped bare.. had nothing useful to take at all...

I believe there are a bunch of junkyards by exit 13 off the NJ turnpike but i never found them or been there.. just heard about them.

I bought the interior from someone in FL off a salvaged car, he stripped it all and shipped it to me.. it was a real ***** dealing with all of that hassle.. long wait, then UPS would not take the box that fit the dashboard (too big) and need it to be shipped freight.. which means very expensive..

then i had to find all sorts of little things that i did not get.

Believe me.. it's going to be expensive and it's going to be very time consuming. Unless you get lucky and find a fresh car at a yard with the entire interior there and can participate in the stripping process so you can make sure every single little thing is removed and gets into your hands.. but then again, i think a junkyard would charge an arm and a leg for the whole interior..

i spent around 800 bucks and i thought i got a steal..

junkyards sell door panels alone for like 50-100 bucks for each.. dashboard like 100, headliner, carpet, etc etc etc .. then black leather seats = $$$..
Old 03-07-2004, 11:19 PM

so are all maximas pre-wired for heated seats amd mirrors? sorry 4th gens.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:08 AM
V^___^V

vsamoylov has done a full I30 interior swap in his max >> http://www.cardomain.com/id/vasiliy
Old 03-08-2004, 12:28 AM
I love lamp.

iansw did a swap of his interior from cloth to black leather. However, he had charcoal cloth interior before so he didn't have to redo the dash. He has a before and after pic up on nwmaxima.com

S
Old 03-08-2004, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by 98maxblackwind
so are all maximas pre-wired for heated seats amd mirrors? sorry 4th gens.
hello.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:29 PM

No not all maximas are wired for heated seats and power, you have to do it all yourself. Its fun to do it though and it makes it really easy if you have your carpet out. If not just peal it back and go to work. if you wanna see some updated pics of my interior swap go to my page http://members.cardomain.com/conz35
Page 6 and 7 has the pics. Im not finished putting my pics on the page but im done with swap.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:34 PM

No not all maximas are wired for heated seats and power, you have to do it all yourself. Its fun to do it though and it makes it really easy if you have your carpet out. If not just peal it back and go to work. if you wanna see some updated pics of my interior swap go to my page http://members.cardomain.com/conz35
Page 6 and 7 has the pics. Im not finished putting my pics on the page but im done with swap.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:54 PM

Heres is what i paid for everything

Here is the prices i paid for all my interior swap.
Leather seats from a max that had just been wrecked- $199.84 with tax
Headliner, Carpet, Visors, Oh **** Handles-$144.85
Door Panels with leather inserts from the same max as leather seats-$108 with tax for all four panels.
Chrome Door Handles and kick plates, door sills, b pillar plastic, door kick panels-$56.44
Flat Black Duplicolor paint(2 cans)-$11.36
Flat Black Kryton paint-$5.40
Duplicolor Silver High Rub wheel paint $5.80
Grand Total-$531.69

I think i got a super deal. Good prices but then i went back and forth between two maximas to get the best prices and parts. Go check out some of the pics and tell me what you think. Ill post more pics tonight.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:18 PM

rwatt how many bottles did you use?
Old 03-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

haynes repair manual!!!! get it!!

tells you how to take apart the whole car pretty much.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by phillysmoswantd
rwatt how many bottles did you use?

I used 2 cans of SEM Colorcoat Flat Black Paint....if I was you, I'd use G2 Interior Black color spray. It's guaranteed not to rub or chip off. If I would've done it all over again, I wouldv'e used G2, but I still like how my dash and center console turned out. Good luck!!

Ryan
Old 03-08-2004, 04:55 PM

i do have a manual. anyways where do you get that paint at??? I used the Kryton high rub stuff because i tested it on door inserts first but if this other stuff is guaranteed i would be interested in repainting it with that stuff. maybe.