4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Remote start on 5spd installed, but only works when clutch is down :( ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 06:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Remote start on 5spd installed, but only works when clutch is down :( ideas?

Hey guys:

my buddy installed my remote start/alarm for me the other day, and the car will start by remote, but it will only start if the clutch is down. any idea's? i think that there is a button/switch that tells the computer if the clutch is down, but i am not sure. do you know where the switch is located? thanks...

Chris
Old 11-22-2003, 07:04 PM

There is a safety/lockout switch. It is the same one you activate when you push in the clutch to start the car. My car is a 5-sp and if I don't push the clutch in all the way, the starter won't activate - even if the key is turned to Start.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by paw-kz1k
There is a safety/lockout switch. It is the same one you activate when you push in the clutch to start the car. My car is a 5-sp and if I don't push the clutch in all the way, the starter won't activate - even if the key is turned to Start.

ok, great... so there is a switch... yay, i was right... but, where is this located? any pictures? thanks...

Chris
Old 11-22-2003, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Blkmax95c
ok, great... so there is a switch... yay, i was right... but, where is this located? any pictures? thanks...

Chris
Follow your cluth pedal up into the dash. Behind the cluth you will find a switch that dpresses when the clutch is pushed in. Unplug it and jump the wires together. Now your car will start w/out pushing in the clutch.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:54 PM

Caution!!!!!

Keep in mind. . .

If you close the clutch interlock safety switch circuit by jumping the wires together, you will need to MAKE SURE YOU NEVER LEAVE THE CAR IN GEAR BEFORE USING THE REMOTE START THE NEXT DAY, LATER, ETC.

If not, well you know what will happen: you could remotely launch your car through the garage door, another car, or some other immovable object.

Could be a very expensive brain-fart if u know what I mean.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by KWheelzSB
Keep in mind. . .

If you close the clutch interlock safety switch circuit by jumping the wires together, you will need to MAKE SURE YOU NEVER LEAVE THE CAR IN GEAR BEFORE USING THE REMOTE START THE NEXT DAY, LATER, ETC.

If not, well you know what will happen: you could remotely launch your car through the garage door, another car, or some other immovable object.

Could be a very expensive brain-fart if u know what I mean.
There is one other alternative...Buy a turbo and turbo timer.

It actually won't drive away. It will kind of jump a bit. Depending on the car it may never start and thus drive away. But most RS are designed to attempt start atleast 2 or 3 times before disengaging.

It's supposedly illlegal to put RS in manual trans but so is leaving your car running unattended. I've been putting in alarms/RS for over 10 yrs and have never read any laws about the legality of 5 spds and RS. Nor have I searched for it.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by C3nthusiast
There is one other alternative...Buy a turbo and turbo timer.

It actually won't drive away. It will kind of jump a bit. Depending on the car it may never start and thus drive away. But most RS are designed to attempt start atleast 2 or 3 times before disengaging.

It's supposedly illlegal to put RS in manual trans but so is leaving your car running unattended. I've been putting in alarms/RS for over 10 yrs and have never read any laws about the legality of 5 spds and RS. Nor have I searched for it.
You're correct - I didn't mean to imply that the engine would turn over if the tranny was left in gear; just that the torque generated by the starter motor is definitely enough to move the car more than a few feet - certainly enough to do some damage.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:17 AM
SXN

yea...to fix that silly problem of starting a car in gear, get a turbo
Old 11-23-2003, 08:00 AM

Awsome. thank you for your information on the button.

i am kinda wary on doing the remote start on a manual, but i almost always leave it in neutral when parked. the only time i didn't was yesterday when i was too tired and i just wanted out of my car. my buddy had a RS on his 5spd saturn, and he started it right into a tree. i really hope that does not happen to me... but at the same time i always crank up my e-brake when ever i am parked, so i am assuming that it will not go too far if i am forgetfull that day.

is there no way i can install a switch that tells the computer when the car is in gear, and hence it will not try and start it? i have asked a few people and they all said "no" but it just seems that with all this technology in this day and age, something so simple should be avalible. well, thanks for your help.

Chris
Old 11-23-2003, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by SXN
yea...to fix that silly problem of starting a car in gear, get a turbo

yeah, sure, i'll just go out and buy a turbo tomorrow... i mean, whats $3000 compared to leaveing a car in gear? lol
Old 11-23-2003, 11:32 AM
SXN

my friend got remote start on his del sol, and always leaved it in neutral when parking. one day his dad parked the car (in 1st) and he wanted to show him the remote start lets just say, he is still glad shopping malls have parking blocks
Old 11-23-2003, 12:00 PM

easiest and safest method

Originally Posted by C3nthusiast
Follow your cluth pedal up into the dash. Behind the cluth you will find a switch that dpresses when the clutch is pushed in. Unplug it and jump the wires together. Now your car will start w/out pushing in the clutch.

the safest way would to use some wire and 2 tap-in connectors on your safety switch.

run those to your remote starter so that when it kicks on, it bypasses your safety switch. This also allows you to be safe when start your car normally.

ONE THING!

YOU HAVE TO ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR CAR IS IN N.

My retard friend did not check to make sure one fine morning and had his car in gear with no e-brake on. Lucky for him, he lives in a dead end, and managed to only roll it through the rear wall of his detached garage.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:18 PM
SXN

yea, sometimes you're lucky and it stalls, or you have the e brake on, so it cant go fast. but a lot of people have screwed up like that.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by LastBoyScout
the safest way would to use some wire and 2 tap-in connectors on your safety switch.

run those to your remote starter so that when it kicks on, it bypasses your safety switch. This also allows you to be safe when start your car normally.

ONE THING!

YOU HAVE TO ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR CAR IS IN N.

My retard friend did not check to make sure one fine morning and had his car in gear with no e-brake on. Lucky for him, he lives in a dead end, and managed to only roll it through the rear wall of his detached garage.

I am not following you on the 2 tap-in connector thing... i am stupid when it comes to this stuff.

Chris
Old 11-23-2003, 06:14 PM
ABK

When you leave the car tie a brick to the clutch so it stays down. No I'm just playing with you. Go find that sensor behind the clutch, it should be like almost touching it or something, then rip out the wires and tie them together.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:06 PM
SXN

I actually think he already figured it out
Old 11-23-2003, 08:43 PM
Grumpy old guy

http://www.12voltshop.com/proddetail...t=12&path=1,12

MANUAL TRANSMISSION VEHICLES
INSTALLATION & OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is essential that ALL Safety connections are installed, tested and functioning properly for safe operation. Installation of any remote start system into a manual transmission vehicle is entirely at your own risk. The manufacturer assumes no risk or liability. Improper installation of a remote car starter may result in injury or death.
TO CONVERT UNIT TO MANUAL TRANSMISSION MODE
1. Unscrew and remove the top portion of the main control module's plastic casing.
2. Locate and REMOVE JUMPER that is found directly on the circuit board beside the large microchip.

CONNECTIONS FOR REMOTE CAR STARTER MODELS: CS100, CS300, CS400
J2-PIN#14: HOOD PIN INPUT wire must be split and diode isolated to run a parallel negative (-) Door Input and Hood Input. It is necessary that ALL DOORS be connected on this circuit.
J2-PIN#3: External Trigger Input wire MUST BE CONNECTED to the wire which provides a negative (-) signal when the hand brake is engaged.

SAFETY CONNECTIONS FOR REMOTE CAR STARTER MODELS: MVS IV & MVS V
J4-PIN#7: DOOR INPUT wire must be connected to negative (-) Door input wire. It is necessary that ALL doors be connected on this circuit.
J4-PIN#5: External Trigger Input wire MUST BE CONNECTED to the wire which provides a negative (-) signal when the hand brake is engaged.

Note: Removing the Black jumper cancels the External Trigger function and converts the input to a hand brake input. DO NOT use this unit as a slave starter on manual transmission vehicles. DO NOT install on convertibles or vehicles in which entry to the vehicle cannot be monitored. E.g. convertibles, JEEPS, vehicles the doors can be removed etc.

What Is "Remote Start Ready Mode"
When the remote starter is installed on a manual transmission vehicle a "Remote Start Ready Mode" safety procedure must be followed EACH time the vehicle is exited. The safety procedure is in place to remind the user to leave the vehicle in NEUTRAL and NOT in gear before remote starting. If the safety procedure is not completed, the vehicle WILL NOT remote start but all other options will function normally. The remote start system monitors the doors and handbrake at all times. It is essential that all doors and handbrake connections are functioning properly to ensure safe operation. This is the responsibility of the installer!
*Installers must make sure all the entry points are monitored via the door pin connection.
** Users must also make sure that all safety connections are operational and should also periodically test to ensure that all entry point connections are in fact functioning correctly.

OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS: Entering "Ready Mode"

Make sure ALL doors and hood are shut and vehicle is running by the ignition key.
Place vehicle in Neutral and set Parking Brake.
Press START Button #2 (*) for 2 seconds. Parking lights will flash then come back ON. (You should hear Parking light relay "click" twice)
* If a RED LED is installed, the LED light will begin flashing to confirm "Manual Transmission Ready Mode" is enabled.
Turn key to OFF position and remove key. Vehicle engine should remain running.
Open door and Exit vehicle. Close the door then press the START Button #2 (*) to shut off engine. (Parking lights will confirm with 2 slow flashes)
System is now in "READY MODE" and will allow vehicle to be remote started by pressing the START Button # 2 (*) for 2 seconds.
To remote start vehicle press the START Button for 2 seconds and release. System will flash Park lights once to confirm signal received then attempt to start engine. Engine start is confirmed when Parking lights come back ON. As long as engine is running under remote start Park lights will remain ON.
NOTE: Any time the vehicle is re-entered (door is opened) the remote starter will EXIT ready mode. If "Ready Mode" has not enabled parking lights will flash 4 times if a remote start attempt is made.

Although this can be a PIA at least using this method the car won't start in gear ever.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:51 PM

nice research. this thread should be linked in the how to thread
Old 11-24-2003, 06:29 AM

how much is a remote start system?
Old 11-24-2003, 06:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I put a remote start in my 5 spd and when i hooked it up i wired in a relay hooked to the e-brake so that if the car is in gear and the e-brake is on it holds the car where it sits. but if the e-brake is down the remote start will not start and it is wired through the clutch cancel switch.