4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Strange tranny noise. Any ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Strange tranny noise. Any ideas???

I was talking to my brother the other day. He has a 89 240sx with a sr20det swap he is finishing up. He was telling me some of the bugs he is still trying to work out, and one of them was this odd tranny noise.

Low and behold I have been hearing the same noise lately from my 5-speed tranny. When the cluch is engaged (all the way out) there is noise that sounds exactly like sound a skateboard wheel makes if you spin it. Like bearings spinning.
For now I can only hear it when in nuetral and the car not moving, which does not mean it does not make it other times, but that is the only time I can.
The noise is not there 100% of the time either. I can never remember hearing this before. Me and my brother both have findanza flywheels, but I can't imagine why it would make that noise.

It sounds exactly like a skateboard wheel spinning.

My tranny was recently rebuilt. New bearings, clutch and flywheel.

Any thoughts???
Old 09-09-2003, 12:58 PM

bump bump bump
Old 09-09-2003, 02:49 PM

Maybe they didn't install or lube the throwout bearing properly.. If the noise changes when you engage/disengage the clutch, with the car stationary and in neutral, I don't know what else besides the throwout bearing could make that noise...
Old 09-09-2003, 02:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ahhh, i have this same noise...it has gotten progressively worse over the past couple months. i have had many car guys listen to it and they all say the same thing..."input/main shaft bearings are bad". this was the main reason for me picking up the LSD tranny (which i still havent gotten in the car yet...darn work is killing me). lets hope its not the case on your car since you just had it rebuilt and replacing those bearings is SERIOUS work.

--Paul
Old 09-09-2003, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Requin6
ahhh, i have this same noise...it has gotten progressively worse over the past couple months. i have had many car guys listen to it and they all say the same thing..."input/main shaft bearings are bad". this was the main reason for me picking up the LSD tranny (which i still havent gotten in the car yet...darn work is killing me). lets hope its not the case on your car since you just had it rebuilt and replacing those bearings is SERIOUS work.

--Paul
Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the info.
I will take the car back to the tranny shop and have him take a listen. When I had this work done I wanted everything replaced that looked overly worn or in need of repair. He said synchros, gears and such all looked fine. Is a bad input shaft bearing something that would be easliy to see while rebuilding a tranny?
Old 09-09-2003, 03:27 PM

would I not see a fluid leak becuase of this?
Old 09-09-2003, 04:04 PM

I second the throwout bearing idea

I've got a 98 5sp w/120k with the same noise. Idling in neutral there is a bearing (whirring) noise. Depress clutch pedal and it goes away,driving in gear not noticeable. I've had this before on other MT vehicles. Throwout bearings see a lot of abuse over the life of a clutch and will run thousands of miles even if a little noisy.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

no fluid leak here.

--Paul
Old 09-09-2003, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by sweetdaddy
I've got a 98 5sp w/120k with the same noise. Idling in neutral there is a bearing (whirring) noise. Depress clutch pedal and it goes away,driving in gear not noticeable. I've had this before on other MT vehicles. Throwout bearings see a lot of abuse over the life of a clutch and will run thousands of miles even if a little noisy.
New throw out bearing, clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing less than 3 months ago.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:24 PM

New throw out bearing, clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing less than 3 months ago

Well,if the shaft bearings were replaced when you had the trans rebuilt (not always the case).And you had the clutch,pilot and throw out bearing replaced,meaning all were new, I'd still go for the throw out bearing as the culprit. The shaft bearings live their lives in an oil bath, where the throw out bearings are greased for life until they lose it. In addition the throw outs get a heck of a lot of side loading from the clutch fork during shifting.

On the other hand if you said your trans was rebuilt at 175,000 without shaft bearing replacement, your transmission oil wasn't changed during that time and the car had a lot of cold starts during winter, chances are good the shaft bearings are hosed. Gear oil is very high in viscosity (esp when cold) and the shaft bearings are the last places the oil gets slung to in the gear case. I vaguely remember reading that at 0°F gear oil takes about 30 sec to hit the shaft bearings.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:50 PM

My wife's '88 Nissan pickup has the same noise (I like the skateboard wheel comparison). It started after a new clutch and throw out bearing install. Thought it was possibly a bad throw out bearing, so put in another new one. Noise is still there, only with clutch released. It has gotten worse as time has gone by. Doesn't seem to affect performance (0-60 is still about 15 seconds ), but it is annoying. The truck has 168,000 miles on it, so I guess it's about time for something to act up (other than 23 total feet of vacuum hose I replaced last weekend).

Dave
Old 09-10-2003, 07:49 AM

I had something like this once with an old Chevy pickup where I did the clutch/pressure plate/TO bearing, turned out that the new throwout bearing was not pre-greased (packed) properly. I thought I could just install it out of the box, but no... After repacking it, no more noise...