5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Grey Lustre/Charcoal 5th Gen owners...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Grey Lustre/Charcoal 5th Gen owners...

For those who own or who have owned them... I have questions regarding the 5th gen Grey Lustre/Charcoal colored Maximas. I had originally been looking for the Sterling Mist color, but came across the grey color at a local dealer in Fort Worth, and just couldn't believe how insanely sharp this color is on the Maxima. My only questions are, how bad does it show dirt/how hard is it to keep clean as compared to say a silver, white or (especialy) black colored car? In other words, does it pretty much always look dirty like a black car unless you wash it twice a week or is it slightly lower maintanance? Also, how bad does it show the infamous paint chips compared to other colors? Any regrets on buying this color, and would you buy it again? I know in the grand scheme of things this question is not just real important compared to the other postings on this (excellent and very informative) website. But my Wife and I are thinking hard on this car, like, buying in the next 48 hours. We realy love this car, other than the somewhat akward long stick (maybe I'm just not used to it), and any feedback anyone might have would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

My thanks in advance, (and my thanks also to 92 SE-R 02 SE for his previously shared input).

-Brian
Old 05-18-2003, 12:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 03 SE in Gray lustre and I love it. It doesn't look that bad when it gets a little dirty, and it looks real sharp when it is all cleaned up. I think the "Lustre" part of it helps hide some of the dirt. I have noticed a bunch of chip on my hood but that seems to be a problem that all max owners are facing. Hope this helped.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:25 PM

I have (had) both a 2001 Grey Lustre Maxima SE with Frost cloth, and I now currenty own a 2003 Super Black Maxima SE/TE with Frost leather.

Having owned both, I will tell you this. I origianlly wanted a Sterling Mist Max too, but when I seen the Grey Lustre I fell in love, there is just something about it--the Sterling Mist looks lame in comparison!
Honestly with the Grey Lustre, I have received more compliements on its color than any recent car I have owned-from young and old people, and I live in South Florida, where there is a big car culture abound!!
Plus, you will never see as many Grey Lustre Max's around than most other colors-not in Florida anyways. Trust me, get the Grey Lustre, you will not regret it. And it hides dirt and scratches very well, more than you would think. Not as much as silver ofcourse, but its the price I would pay for a better looking car, and a color thats more rare and eye catching

I have a Black 03 Max and a Black 90 Z32 300ZX, now they are a nightmare to keep clean But when clean and detailed

Hope this helps!

P.S. My dad bought my 01 Grey Lustre Max, and loves it, he gets compliements like I used to get in it.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:34 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Re: Grey Lustre/Charcoal 5th Gen owners...

Originally posted by FutureMaxowner

My thanks in advance, (and my thanks also to 92 SE-R 02 SE for his previously shared input).

-Brian
no problem!

Old 05-18-2003, 03:10 PM

Gray Lusre really sparkles when it's clean. I had one person ask me if my paint was sotck or aftermarket on my 00 GLE. It does show more dirt than my 02 Sterling Mist, especially pollen. It's not than hard to keep clean and does show paint chips as bad as black does. Hope that helps.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:11 PM

I just finished washing and waxing my grey lustre maxima and personally i think it is the best color out there. It hides dirt and scratches better than black but has a sportiness to it kinda like the same color in the lexus IS, my old car was silver and it looked fairly clean all the time but, silver is boring. Grey lustre is the coolest.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:19 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

I took this pic last night, its one of my favorites!

Old 05-18-2003, 03:23 PM

The car is hard to keep clean like a black car, but when it is clean it will turn heads
Old 05-18-2003, 03:24 PM

some people think my cars color isnt stock...
I love the color. You will also..hehe
Old 05-18-2003, 05:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Check out my homepage below... Gray Lustre is a beautiful color.

Hey 92 SE-R 02 SE... that is a BEAUTIFUL picture!

-R
Old 05-18-2003, 05:36 PM

Yeah, the gray luster is the best. It hids a lot of dirt and when it's clean and waxed the paint shines!
Old 05-18-2003, 05:46 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally posted by 255HP_03_SE
Check out my homepage below... Gray Lustre is a beautiful color.

Hey 92 SE-R 02 SE... that is a BEAUTIFUL picture!

-R
Thanks!

Old 05-18-2003, 06:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have that same color also and it looks great. Alittle cleaner than black but not as clean as a lighter color. Most people think that my paint is not factory either. (especially since I have kit on it now) I live in Frisco so same climate as you in Ft Worth. Cheout my site to see how it looks. My car looks pretty clean most of the time and I wash it once maybe twice a week.
Hope this helps
Old 05-18-2003, 07:30 PM
ABS

I have a 2K2 Grey Luster and I think most people would agree that the following statments hold true:

1. Very good at hiding road dirt.
2. Shows light or colored dirt (like yellow/orange tree pollen)
3. Very minor scratches are not too noticable.
4. Deep scratches and chips are very noticable until repaired (the primer is either white or very light grey and it will show through and looks really bad)
5. When the car is carefully detailed it looks really good.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:23 PM

It's a great color. Real deep shine when clean.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:23 PM

The color is reallll sharp...best looking grey color OEM out there...

Pollen and thick grim on the car stand out a lot...but nothing a quick wash and wax won't take care of...

Chips on the hood stand out though...get xpel bra...

IN SUMMARY....A REALLY SHARP COLOR...
Old 05-18-2003, 09:06 PM
2-Wheelin it...

hmmm....
is 2k2 a nice color...well i just hand glazed the car today so i guess i'll show off my pics....yes i love this color....

Old 05-19-2003, 04:42 AM

My personal opinion is that the my Grey Lustre shows light colored dirt like white on black. It does hide pollen and darker dirt very well. Much better than black, but not as good as lighter colors. I've had several other Max owners see my car and stated, "I should have bought the Lustre"!
Old 05-19-2003, 05:32 AM

Wouldn't trade it for anything... Well maybe majestic blue... but I LOVE my Grey Lustre
Old 05-22-2003, 01:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, after keeping the car over the weekend for a thourough inspection/test drive, and several hours of haggling at the dealership...they came within $50.00 of my price range. So, I am quite happy to say that the car is ours. What a car. It's big and smooth enough for the weekend family outings with the family, but small and tight enough for getting on it when I'm alone in the car. Since it's stock you might wonder why I'm so excited, but as I told someone else on here, you have to understand where I'm coming from. I've been driving a little four cylinder Mitsubitshi Mirage for the last 2 years.

And the Grey Lustre color... The color is so sharp. You were right. It turns heads. I pulled up in the parking spot closest to the door at the local 7-11 this morning near work Just as I was about to open the car door, a nicely dressed, very nice looking blonde walked out of 7-11 and was checking out the car right about the time I opened the car door, which I guess she heard because she watched as I got out. Since I was heading to work, I was dressed up, so as I got out of the car I still had her attention... Of course once I looked up and she saw my ugly mug, game over. But at any rate, my point being that, that never happened in the Mitsubishi... Kind of sad that the two years I drove the Mitsubishi, nothing like that ever occured. First day I drive the Max to work, Some hot blonde is giving my car the once over and checking to see what the guy who gets out of the car looks like. But I'm not complaining...

Thanks to all of you who took the time to reply. You were very informative and helpful in my decision making process. This website is great, and you have some great looking grey lustre rides posted here as well. Thanks for taking the time to read this updated reply, and please know I truly appreciated your feedback.

Thanks,

-Brian
Old 05-22-2003, 02:59 AM

someone thought my car was green today... hot blonde though, i'll let it slide

in the service manual it says KV3 greenish gray

wtf? I don't see no green!
Old 05-22-2003, 03:08 AM

i dunnno.. i haven't had any of the paint chip problems everyone has been complaining about for the past 4 years. but then again now i have a new front bumper with aftermarket paint. as far as keeping it clean, well that's real hard to do, any lil spec of dust is real noticable. but hten agian i'm one of those people that can spot any small inperfections
Old 05-22-2003, 03:56 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
someone thought my car was green today... hot blonde though, i'll let it slide

in the service manual it says KV3 greenish gray

wtf? I don't see no green!
i've had quite a few people say green. and if you look up nissan's KV3 in the paint codes, grey lustre does not come up....greenish metallic does....so the hot blonde was right....
Old 05-22-2003, 04:45 AM

I have 2k Grey lustre. I was originally gonna get black but then saw the grey lustre and I fell in love with it. Basically like someone else said. It only looks bad if it gets a little dirty. It looks really nice after a fresh coat of wax though . It's also hard to see chips with grey lustre because the chips are like the same color as the paint. You should get it!! I think that darker colors make cars look FAST
Old 05-22-2003, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by Maxman2000
I have 2k Grey lustre. I was originally gonna get black but then saw the grey lustre and I fell in love with it. Basically like someone else said. It only looks bad if it gets a little dirty. It looks really nice after a fresh coat of wax though . It's also hard to see chips with grey lustre because the chips are like the same color as the paint. You should get it!! I think that darker colors make cars look FAST
The chips on my Grey Lustre are white... and the nasty ones go all the way to the sheet metal!
Old 05-22-2003, 05:41 AM

I have read enough, no need to read page two

to any who said it hides dirt you are crazy, Grey is almost as bad as black, and when it is dirty it has no lustre at all. That being said when clean it is amazing. So if you work hard on keeping your car clean the Grey lustre is a great choice, but if you are a slacker or even just an average cleaner stay away from it.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:17 AM

according to larry, sterling list turns into sunlit sand when dirty
Old 05-22-2003, 09:05 AM

yeap....i got 02 gray lustre...its a really nice color and all that...but if u want to stand out a bit....get some other color....cuz here in Tdot...way too many grey luster max's.....
Old 05-22-2003, 09:13 AM

I dig it. Wasn't sure about it but my brother picked out the color since he;s the one that drives that car. It look s fantastic when clean and does hide dirt pretty well. Scratches are noticable but not swirl marks.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:24 AM

Hey, This is my first atempt at a post, But just wanted to introduce myself. I jsut bought a 2002 grey lustre GLE on wednesday. Grey Lustre is an amazin color, but I also love majestic blue. I couldn't find one to my liking. (Fully Loaded!) I am so excited to join the rest of you lucky Maxima owners/drivers. I cant wait to start driving it! My old car was a 97 Cadilac Catera which I want to throw up when I drive it now! It was a cool car when I didnt know any thing about the Maxima. I have 18in. evos on it and it is Black. Anybody want it? lol it has 103,000 miles ouch! But any way Maximas are the sweatest cars and mine is no different! So here are the specs. It is 2002 GLE, Grey Lustre/Black leather int., Fully loaded (excluding the Navigation system), that means its got sunroof, meridian pckg, spoiler, tcs, BOSE, etc. The Best thing about it is that it only has 8,830 miles on it! It came off lease. Previous owner must have gotten a 2004! I have alao already recieved my order from CustomMaxima.com(came in one day!) which includes ae door sils and polarg bulbs for the whole car! Clear corners were the only thing backordered. Oh yeah how could I forget my Polished Maxima Key chain. (Sweet Mod!)
I also plan to put a 2 way viper alarm to stop those HID thiefs!!
I will be spending my every spare sec working on this new ride. Cant wait to wax up the Grey Lustre I want mine to look like all your rides, Shiny/mirror look to paint. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE A MAXIMA!!!!!!

New Maxima Owner
02 Grey Lustre GLE
C Webb
Old 05-22-2003, 02:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the hottest color

Grey Lustre has always been the hottest color to me... I knew I wanted this color before I got the car!! Almost 3 years later and my paint look just about as good as when I picked it up off the lot!!!

Deac