3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

strut and rear disk conversion questoin

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 08:25 PM

strut and rear disk conversion questoin

watsup guys,

dont know if all of you know this, but i sold my 5-speed VE in the sig and now i got an auto VG. kind of sucks but its o.k. because its my new family car. i just had a baby, so it is good i dont have the speed because i would be tempted to use it. got my classis se-r though.

mods will consist of just drop, tints, stereo updgrades, and newer nissan wheels. this will be the beginnig.

well i just bought some ST springs of lordrandall. i need some struts now. well ive had tokicos w/ eibachs. wasnt too happy with them though. is my only other option kybs or konis.

how many guys have done the rear disk conversion? i want to do this all probably next neekend. it really doesnt look that bad. anybody got any suggestions or helpful hints for me before i do it. thanks
Old 05-03-2003, 08:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: strut and rear disk conversion questoin

Hey Josh, I finally go that Y-Pipe on! Nice mod.... Anyway, I've got KYB's on my '89 and I'm not too happy with them, and the car is not dropped either. Thay have been on the car since November, about 3000 miles and have are not even as good as my stock SE struts with 63K on them.

I guesss the point is that I (as in ME) wouldn't try a drop with KYB. But I hear ya when you talk about the Tokicos, my SE gets Koni later this year or next summer.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:20 AM
STFU n00b!

Tokicos or Konis.. don't touch anything else. what didn't you like about the tok/eibach setup, anyway? if you think the ride was too rough, then it wasn't from the struts. it's the springs.

rear disc conversion.. read the FAQ pages I've written about it. I know I'm not the only one that's done it, but I'm the only one that's put forth the effort to talk about it, so what's there is what's out there. it should be all you need to know, since I explained everything in painstaking detail.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:39 AM

i do have that page cookied matt. thanks. i will use that as my instruction sheet. i would love to get konis, but i hear you have to cut the strut housing or something like that. anyone done konis in chicago that would like to help out.

todamax, glad you got the y-pipe on. what happened to the stock one, you still got it. my boy might need it, he bought my car. thanks for the warning on the kybs. about the tokicos, they were very stiff. im sure that the spring and the 18s had alot to do with it. if the konis are too hard, i might try tokicos with the ST springs. who has that combo and would like to tell me about it.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:14 AM

Hope you enjoy the springs man! As Matt said, Koni or Tok. For a family car, I'd suggest Tokico, but Konis are soooo nice.

If you want to see Koni install pics, check out my homepage
<-----
I think there are a few write-ups in the Lots more links page.

BTW, leave me some nice feedback on the Trader rating...
Old 05-04-2003, 08:15 AM
STFU n00b!

that's one good thing about the Konis being adjustable. when you install them, set them to the softest of next setting and don't woryr about it. if that's too soft, then go to the next setting.

the rear struts just swap out- they're easy. the front struts are a little more involved, but it's still not bad at all. using a chain pipe cutter or chop saw helps a lot, but you can do it with a hacksaw. just chop the top off the old strut about 3/4" from the end, then follow the directions in the ox with the Konis. took me about 3 minutes on the first one, 15 min on the second one.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:08 PM

so all i do for the konis is just chop a piece off? doesnt seem like rocket science. how much are they going for? i hear they are pretty expensive. where did you get yours matt. also, my brother told me to either cut the strut boot or the bump stop in half. cant remember which one. he told me this for my se-r. do i have to do anything else for the max. i will definately get new bumpstops and boots though. thanks
Old 05-04-2003, 04:19 PM
STFU n00b!

I got mine from www.propartsusa.com . decent price, but you can get them a little cheaper at shox.com or tirerack- that's IF they're in stock.

don't mess with cutting the bumpstops. it's not needed. as for the Koni install, you drill a small hole in the bottom of the strut to relieve the pressure in it, then cut the top off, pull the innards out, drill a 1/2" hole in the bottom, then slide/press the Koni insert in. it's not that bad.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:09 PM

Josh: Yeah, I have the old one. Its fully functional, but the flex/mesh area is pretty rusty. If you need it, LMK.

Matt: My Tok's were softer than I thought they should be after less than 10K. I'm hoping that Koni will be better...
Old 05-04-2003, 11:22 PM
STFU n00b!

that's part of the reason Konis are adjustable. they go from softer than factory to bone-jarring stiffness.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:42 AM

yo wussup josh. You still got the rims for sale? Hit me back if you still do and wanna sell it.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
Tokicos or Konis.. don't touch anything else. what didn't you like about the tok/eibach setup, anyway? if you think the ride was too rough, then it wasn't from the struts. it's the springs.

rear disc conversion.. read the FAQ pages I've written about it. I know I'm not the only one that's done it, but I'm the only one that's put forth the effort to talk about it, so what's there is what's out there. it should be all you need to know, since I explained everything in painstaking detail.
hey matt, on the disc brake conversion, is it possible to install the mechanicals on to the gxe strut assy or is the assy where the caliper mounts up. i just got confused with your statement that some years wont interchange, but if you are using an entire assy then it should just mount right up after diassembly.if it is a direct bolt on swap, is there any reason to overhaul the brakes besides to access the hoses to disconnect and reconnect? thanks!
Old 05-06-2003, 09:16 PM
STFU n00b!

the GXE strut will NOT work.
See the small lip on the shaft, right when it comes out of the strut? the GXE is on the left, and the SE is on the right. note on the GXE strut, that lip is only about 0.1" and the SE strut lip is about 1/2".

that's because of the metal mounting bracket on the SE. the metal plate on the GXE is like 14gauge steel- sheet metal basically. the SE plate is 5/16" thick or so..
I even tried to just put a spacer on it then bolt the hub down, but then the axle is too short to fit the hub over it and bolt it into place.

So no, GXE struts won't work.

As for rebuilding the calipers, there's no NEED to rebuild them, but these were "junkyard specials" so we tore them apart, cleaned them, and replaced the seals.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:36 AM

thanks matt, i guess ill start looking for parts now
Old 05-07-2003, 12:54 PM
STFU n00b!

just call up a junkyard and find any SE or GXE w/ ABS and yank the rest strut assemblies and parking brake cables. easy stuff.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:50 PM
I'm needing a caw

I have the ABS strut assemblies, brake lines, rotors but no calipers(sold).
for sale

Originally posted by shavedmax
thanks matt, i guess ill start looking for parts now
Old 05-08-2003, 11:19 PM

sorry maximaLESS, car was sold to my boy with the rims.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:42 PM

does it have to be abs? i dont have it.you also mentioned something about the 92 and up being different. if you are using the entire assy off the parts car though, it should be no problem, right? you wouldnt happen to have anymore pics of the conversion do you?

jeff thanks for the offer, but i already grabbed a set from a junk yard by me. i might return them because they didnt have the brake stuff(calipers, rotors, hwde etc). either way struts are useless to me because of the hydraulics, and i would prefer to do the swap off a complete parts car
Old 05-10-2003, 12:03 AM

here is the writeup i have cookied.

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/faq...onversion.html

dont know if you have this shaved max. check it out. where are you located? my boy bought my car and wants to put airbags on it. maybe you can help him out. ill tell him to check out your max on here.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Laly
here is the writeup i have cookied.

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/faq...onversion.html

dont know if you have this shaved max. check it out. where are you located? my boy bought my car and wants to put airbags on it. maybe you can help him out. ill tell him to check out your max on here.
i'm in new york. i have the writeup too, i just dont want to lay up the car with incorrect parts, abs or not. gotta show it off next weekend!
Old 05-12-2003, 06:58 AM

just call up a junkyard and find any SE or GXE w/ ABS and yank the rest strut assemblies and parking brake cables. easy stuff.
does it have to be the abs model??, mine dont have abs. the ones i picked up werent abs either. let me know so i can return these if thats the case
Old 05-12-2003, 08:07 AM
STFU n00b!

I've said fifteen times arleady that non-ABS parts will work on a non-ABS car. just byu a complete set from ANY 3rd gen- including calipers and parking brake cables and swap the entire thing. as long as you stick to part from the same year car, everything will work fine.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:19 PM

I've said fifteen times arleady that non-ABS parts will work on a non-ABS car. just byu a complete set from ANY 3rd gen- including calipers and parking brake cables and swap the entire thing. as long as you stick to part from the same year car, everything will work fine.
ok sorry to keep bugging you
Old 05-13-2003, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I have the ABS strut assemblies, brake lines, rotors but no calipers(sold).
for sale

How much? PM me if necessary