4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brakes!! Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 01:00 AM

Brakes!! Need advice

I'm looking to upgrade my brakes, but don't want to spend too much. seeing as the rotors are 75 a piece @ the dealer I was thinking of going with crossdrilled or slotted, will it improve the braking really or just look good. And what about the pads 70$ for dealership whatcan I get to go with my upgraded rotors?
By the way HI I'm new to the forum I'm Velcro I have a 97 max with 130k running good since I bought her but she's starting to need some work and I need advise
Old 01-12-2003, 07:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Cross drilled is just mainly for looks.
Slotted is actually functional in two ways --

1. If you are really hard on your brakes (like driving down a mountain hill really fast), the slots actually help the gasses that build up between the pad and rotor to escape to keep your brakes from fading. Cross drilled also does that as well but slotted rotors are mechanically more robust. For just cruising the streets, you won't notice this advantage.

2. The slots help to deglaze the pads and continously wipe off any dust buildups and keep contaminants from making grooves into the rotor face. This would by far be the most significant contribution for the slots. Its basically a nice preventative measure to keep them in good condition over time but won't actually making your braking any faster in most street conditions.

Get some stainless steel brake lines too. That will take up the mushy slack that is in your brake pedal. It won't actually make you stop faster, but makes the pedal feel much better.

A set of performance brake pads would grant you some better braking performance at the expense of faster brake pad wear. But you can only stop as fast for as much traction as you have in the tires.

www.tirerack.com has some nice Maxima brake parts. The got Brembo rotors that are OEM size and look nice (no rusty rotor look). They have an OEM size slotted front brake rotor as well as plain front rotors. Their rear rotors are solid.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:19 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Buy the brake kit from www.eatricezone.com

For 540 bucks you can't go wrong.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Brakes!! Need advice

Originally posted by Velcro
I'm looking to upgrade my brakes, but don't want to spend too much. seeing as the rotors are 75 a piece @ the dealer I was thinking of going with crossdrilled or slotted, will it improve the braking really or just look good. And what about the pads 70$ for dealership whatcan I get to go with my upgraded rotors?
By the way HI I'm new to the forum I'm Velcro I have a 97 max with 130k running good since I bought her but she's starting to need some work and I need advise
Bought cross dimpled, slotted and plated rotors from Race Concepts. Fronts were Brembo and rears were ECM. They cost $200 for all 4 plus $33 shipping from CA to Charlotte, NC. Front caliper pins were worn (54k miles on 97 I30)) so I replaced them. Cost $23 for all 4 at Advance Auto. Installed Raybestos QS pads which I found at Pep Boys. $56 for fronts and $46 for rears. They are ceramic pads, are totaly quiet, and produce almost no dust. Used synthetic high temp grease on caliper pins and pad clips. Also used CRC Anti Squeal Compound on back of pads. Would recommend Goodridge Stainless Steel brake lines and Folia Tec paint (if you want to paint your calipers). I did my brakes about 4 1/2 months ago with absolutely no problems. I didn't go with Stillen rotors because I didn't like the look of pickling the rotors - it is tacky in my opinion. The QS pads come with self adhesive shims so you shouldn't buy the brake kits. I ordered my rotors by calling Wood at Race Concepts at 714 547-3581. He will take credit card orders via phone. Ordered mine on Tuesday afternoon got them on the following Monday via UPS. Hope this helps. By the way I am totally pleased.