4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

vibrating...(read)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 07:53 PM

vibrating...(update)

gut a problem, i have a vibration/sound that i cannot figure out. It changes with speed, but comes more pronounced when braking hard. i have haeard nothing from the cv shafts/joints, but i am not the biggest expert on cv shafts or cars for that matter. this feels almost like a flat spotted tire, but i can feel it in my steering wheel. becomes more pronounced as road conditions get worse. Ita also feels like maybe a rubbing or possibly like a wheel vibrating- could it be more of a wheel bearing or a tire out of balance?? Dunno. Its a little hard to explain, but would someone please help me? ANother thing-i can take out of gear and it still persists, so if that helps any let me know.

Thanks so much

Mike
Old 01-07-2003, 09:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: vibrating...(read)

Originally posted by A5295
gut a problem, i have a vibration/sound that i cannot figure out. It changes with speed, but comes more pronounced when braking hard. i have haeard nothing from the cv shafts/joints, but i am not the biggest expert on cv shafts or cars for that matter. this feels almost like a flat spotted tire, but i can feel it in my steering wheel. becomes more pronounced as road conditions get worse. Ita also feels like maybe a rubbing or possibly like a wheel vibrating- could it be more of a wheel bearing or a tire out of balance?? Dunno. Its a little hard to explain, but would someone please help me? ANother thing-i can take out of gear and it still persists, so if that helps any let me know.

Thanks so much

Mike

Hmm, I have what I think is a inboard CV Joint going bad.

The typical symptoms of this are:

No "click" when turning right/left - this would be an outboard joint,
not inboard

Vibration at freeway speeds - mostly when braking/accellerating, but can be at all times

Personally, I only feel mine above 50 and when braking/accellerating, but apparently it can be when out of gear/coasting also

This may be your problem. Try moving your rear tires to the front and seeing if the vibration changes - could be a bent rim, could be a flat spot on the tire.....

If not, then it's most likely either your rotots (cost $5-10 each to have your local Autozone check them out and resurface/turn them)

From there, it's probably a CV Joint.

IanS
Old 01-07-2003, 09:37 PM

is there anyway to see if the rotor needs turning without removing it??? why would the inboard go bad first?? i hope the front tires are not flat spotted- they are about two weeks old. if the flat-spotted tire was on the back would i feel it in the steering wheel or hear it like i do? would having different size tires on the back make it more pronounced, or cause the problem?? i have 215/60's on the back-those horrible pirellis. I have nitto nt 450's in a 215/55 on the front.

Peace,

Mike
Old 01-07-2003, 09:56 PM

Check your tires. I had that problem and I went to discount tire thinking something was wrong. There was a lump the size of a titty on my tire. It caused a bad vibration when driving. Try the easiest thing to check first (visual inspection of tire) then move on to the more complicated stuff.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:34 AM

thanks so much for your help and insight on this. i found a bad flat spot on my rr tire...i also have a cv boot that is split and has slung grease everywhere! would u guys just replace the boot, or wait and just replace the shaft?

Thanks,

mike
Old 01-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by A5295
thanks so much for your help and insight on this. i found a bad flat spot on my rr tire...i also have a cv boot that is split and has slung grease everywhere! would u guys just replace the boot, or wait and just replace the shaft?

Thanks,

mike
It doesn't cost awhole lot more just to replace the axle. It's about $150+shipping from raxles.com...it's only 7 beolts, and is easy to do yourself with a friend.

Marti there is on heck of a nice guy....

IanS