Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

can someone help me with my power invertor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 12:54 PM

can someone help me with my power invertor?

im going on a trip to houston and i wanted to put in my xbox and a little tv so i could play it on the way there. well, i was going to put it in my moms car but she wasn't home so i wanted to try it on my car to make sure the one my friend gave me worked. its a 300w...

well i plugged the thing in through the cig lighter and plugged in a little tv and turned my car to "on" NOT RUNNING.

the invertor made this beep noise and the tv didn't come on.

so then i thought maybe the car has to be running.....so i went to turn the key and.....NOTHING. everything works except my dash lights,cd player and my car WILL NOT TURN OVER. i checked my fuses and everything is fine...

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!

Trevor
Old 12-17-2002, 01:25 PM

Dude, it sounds like the inverter might've caused a short in your electrical. it doesn't surprise me that all the fuses are okay and your car still doesn't start. I'm guessing that it could be a fuseable link or something. did you checks fuses in the engine compartment? If not, it could be the ECU. You know how sensitive our electronics are.

If all else fails, try and disconnect the battery for a little while, reconnect and see if it starts.

OR, the beeping noise from the inverter usually means that the battery is low. Could your battery be dead?

sorry I wasn't much help. Good luck!
Old 12-17-2002, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by maximilion
Dude, it sounds like the inverter might've caused a short in your electrical. it doesn't surprise me that all the fuses are okay and your car still doesn't start. I'm guessing that it could be a fuseable link or something. did you checks fuses in the engine compartment? If not, it could be the ECU. You know how sensitive our electronics are.

If all else fails, try and disconnect the battery for a little while, reconnect and see if it starts.

OR, the beeping noise from the inverter usually means that the battery is low. Could your battery be dead?

sorry I wasn't much help. Good luck!
well it turns out i had the ignition fuse (fusible link) go out. im going to the dealer to get another one. for now i just took out the one for the windows and put it in and everything is back to normal.

i also put in a 30 amp fuse for the cig lighter. the 15 amp blew and couldn't handle the juice.

Trevor
Old 12-17-2002, 01:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i'd be careful putting in higher wattage fuses in... Next time, you might not be so lucky as to only blow a fuse
Old 12-17-2002, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by KLoWnPR109
i'd be careful putting in higher wattage fuses in... Next time, you might not be so lucky as to only blow a fuse
well what should i do then?
Old 12-17-2002, 02:05 PM

If you read the instructions of the inverter it tells you how to use it!

Turn on your car WITHOUT the inverter in. After the car is on and running, plug in the inverter only, flip the switch, then one by one plug in the devices and one by one turn them on. We had an inverter in our suburban with a TV and an XBOX and we blew the fuse 2 times trying to get everything working because we turned the TV and XBOX on at the same time. The beeping from the inverter means that your battery had dangerously low voltage, so also check the water level of the battery to make sure everything is ready.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
If you read the instructions of the inverter it tells you how to use it!

Turn on your car WITHOUT the inverter in. After the car is on and running, plug in the inverter only, flip the switch, then one by one plug in the devices and one by one turn them on. We had an inverter in our suburban with a TV and an XBOX and we blew the fuse 2 times trying to get everything working because we turned the TV and XBOX on at the same time. The beeping from the inverter means that your battery had dangerously low voltage, so also check the water level of the battery to make sure everything is ready.
shlt. well my friend didn't give me any instructions with it

doesn't matter. now my car wont STOP BLOWING FUSES!

i took the stupid thing out and switched a fusible link from my windows and everything was fine so i went to the dealer to get another fuse. i get there, put it in and it blows. so then i had to switch ANOTHER fuse and it blew too!!! so i put one more in and the car started so i said fck it i'll go home and fix it when i ge back in town. i get home, turn off the car, and the f-ing fuse blows AGAIN! so now i need $30 more in stupid fuses and i cant go anywhere.

what the hell is going on???
Old 12-17-2002, 03:42 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

You have a short somewhere in the circuit or you are drawing too much amperage to cause the fuse to blow.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
You have a short somewhere in the circuit or you are drawing too much amperage to cause the fuse to blow.
what should i check/fix? i am not good with electronics....
Old 12-17-2002, 08:18 PM

Let me see if I can take a shot of this......

First, your friend may have inadvertantly gave you a damaged inverter (you should always buy amps, inverters, and any electronics from a store, that way you can get you vehicle repaired with no charge to you). The inverter could have damaged the diodes in you altenator, causing it too much power through your fuseable links. Find out how much amps your altenator is putting out. If the altenator is fine, then there is a short in your electrical system, where the altenator is providing power to the interior componets (i.e. radio, cigerette lighter, etc.). There may be another diode designed to limit the amount of current going into your cars interior. I am just taking a shot at your problem, I am not a certified technician. Have a technician check it out.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:19 PM

Let me see if I can take a shot of this......

First, your friend may have inadvertantly gave you a damaged inverter (you should always buy amps, inverters, and any electronics from a store, that way you can get you vehicle repaired with no charge to you). The inverter could have damaged the diodes in you altenator, causing it to send too much power through your fuseable links. Find out how much amps your altenator is putting out. If the altenator is fine, then there is a short in your electrical system, where the altenator is providing power to the interior componets (i.e. radio, cigerette lighter, etc.). There may be another diode designed to limit the amount of current going into your cars interior. I am just taking a shot at your problem, I am not a certified technician. Have a technician check it out.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:51 PM

You have a short in your cig lighter socket or the wire leading to the cig lighter. Since you put in the 30amp fuse for the cig. lighter circuit, which is pretty dumb. The ignition circuit that feeds the cig. lighter have to blow it's fuse. A word of advice. Instead of hooking the power invertor to the cig lighter, you need to wire a separate circuit just for the invertor with it's own fuse.

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed

i also put in a 30 amp fuse for the cig lighter. the 15 amp blew and couldn't handle the juice.

Trevor
Old 12-17-2002, 09:05 PM

You have a short in your cig lighter socket or the wire leading to the cig lighter. Since you put in the 30amp fuse for the cig. lighter circuit, which is pretty dumb. The ignition circuit that feeds the cig. lighter have to blow it's fuse. A word of advice. Instead of hooking the power invertor to the cig lighter, you need to wire a separate circuit just for the invertor with it's own fuse.

so should i check the wire going from the cig lighter fuse to wherever?
Old 12-17-2002, 09:10 PM

what does a shorted wire look like? burnt or something? omg i feel like such an idiot.....
Old 12-17-2002, 09:11 PM

Check the wires from the fuse box under the dash to the cig. lighter. I bet a coke the wiring harness right behind your cig lighter socket are melted inside and touching each other. Take apart the center console and buy a new cig lighter harness. It's black plug with two wires.

Old 12-17-2002, 09:30 PM

Check the wires from the fuse box under the dash to the cig. lighter. I bet a coke the wiring harness right behind your cig lighter socket are melted inside and touching each other. Take apart the center console and buy a new cig lighter harness. It's black plug with two wires.

well that black plug seems fine....i'll have to check the rest of the wire in the morning. if you have anything else you think i should check let me know. thanks man!

Trevor
Old 12-18-2002, 12:59 PM

well that black plug seems fine....i'll have to check the rest of the wire in the morning. if you have anything else you think i should check let me know. thanks man!

Trevor
ok i pulled the fuse box out so i could see the back of it and i dont see anything thats melted or abnormal. the harness by the cig lighter socket seems fine also. now what?

Trevor
Old 12-25-2002, 11:19 AM

ok i pulled the fuse box out so i could see the back of it and i dont see anything thats melted or abnormal. the harness by the cig lighter socket seems fine also. now what?

Trevor
well i went out to my car today and opened the door and noticed none of my lights came on. my battery is completely drained. could this have happened because i left a blown ignition fuse in the car while i was out of town? the car sat there for about a week.

Trevor