3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Is The Rear Disk Brake Hardware Kit Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 06:34 AM

Is The Rear Disk Brake Hardware Kit Necessary?

I just bought some rear OEM Nissan pads for my 91 SE.

Do I have to install a new hardware kit (the stuff that attaches to the back of the pads) or can I just reuse the old ones.

Also, what is this thing about screwholes on the back of the pads? My set didnt come with any of these holes.

Lastly, what sort of stuff should I use to lubricate the pin bolts?
Old 06-20-2002, 07:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Is The Rear Disk Brake Hardware Kit Necessary?

The hardware kit is not necessary but it depends on the condition of your shims now (those are the little metal pieces that clip onto the back of the brake pads). If yours are ok, you can reuse them, but you should probably replace them sometime (maybe after a couple more brake jobs) just to be safe.

Even my cheapy PepBoys pads had the screw hole for the rear. Are you sure you got the right pads (not fronts)?

Not sure exactly about the lube for the pins, my dad has some black goopy stuff that works allright, I think it's something with molybendium in it or something close to that

Also, be sure to screw in the rear pistons and not just compress them. They have special tools for this or you can just use some needle nose pliers to twist it clockwise while pushing in. You probably already knew that but just making sure
Old 06-20-2002, 07:34 AM

Re: Re: Is The Rear Disk Brake Hardware Kit Necessary?

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»
The hardware kit is not necessary but it depends on the condition of your shims now (those are the little metal pieces that clip onto the back of the brake pads). If yours are ok, you can reuse them, but you should probably replace them sometime (maybe after a couple more brake jobs) just to be safe.

Even my cheapy PepBoys pads had the screw hole for the rear. Are you sure you got the right pads (not fronts)?

Thanks Craig for the advice.