5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

No Air - My Experience with Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 10:23 AM

No Air - My Experience with Repair

Hi, I always find it helpful to post details of a problem and how I fixed it and what parts I used. This should help others who are experiencing the same thing and help you find what you need.

2001 Infiniti i30 with 205k miles

Issue: Air was working correctly blowing cold A/C air when I heard a struggling noise with the system and then it stopped blowing. Turning off and on didn't help. There seemed to be small amounts of air coming out, but then it'd stop.

Step 1 was to go ahead and replace the Amplifier/Resistor as its a common problem and worst case is an inexpensive fix.

Part: eBay - Part #277612Y000 - I found someone with a genuine Nissan part, unopened for $20 shipped. Score!

It arrived and was a super simple install. 2 screws hold the old one in, pop in the new one, screwed back in. 5 Minute install.

Unfortunately (as feared), not the solution.

So, next up was to replace the blower.

When replacing the blower (since glovebox needs to be replaced), cabin filter should be replaced too if not done recently (mine was very old). Went to Amazon and ordered:

Part: TYC 800114C2 Cabin Air Filter

Next, I ordered the blower. Not wanting to pay huge money, I ordered from Amazon (and paid $10.99 premium for 1 day Saturday delivery). Total for part (minus extra 1 day cost): $40.46

Part: TYC 700050 Replacement Blower Assembly

Part shows "Subaru", but if you look at the reviews, you'll see plenty of Nissan and Infiniti reviews.

Installation: Very straightforward and not scary at all. I didn't have to worry about the Airbag cable as it was already out of the way, but do make sure NOT TO UNPLUG IT or you'll get the airbag light.

Luckily for me, I was doing research here and when the previous idiot mechanics were installing my radiator fans they triggered this code and so I saw the instructions on how to do it (7 turn off/ons) here. Thanks guys!

Anyway, very easy to do, trickiest part is just getting the glovebox and other body panels put back. Remove screws around the glovebox (you'll find them) and pull off the light and there you go. The air filter box is right in front of you, just remove one of the metal attacher-things with a screw driver and pull off the access panel and remove the filter. For some reason, my replacement part was 2 pieces and the original one was a single piece, so you put them together and they fit in there. Make sure the direction is correct and you should see "Up" on the outside after putting them in.

Next, the blower itself is easy-peasy. Unscrew the 3 screws holding it in and unplug the wire and pull off the attachment and there you go. Put on the attachment on the new one, screw it in, plug it in and attach the attachment to the car and you're all done! Start the car and feel the cold (or hot) air!

Then, just put everything back and you're done.

Again, don't pay huge markups for this. I'm sure if I had taken it to the Infiniti Dealer, it would've been $500+ to get the blower, amplifier and air filters replaced and it's a 30 min job.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-08-2015, 10:28 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

Great write-up
Old 08-08-2015, 10:53 AM
acw

Nice Work !