Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Just had a wicked good install done: Wanna see?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Just had a wicked good install done: Wanna see?

Well, after what has seemed like eternity without good tunes in my car, I finally rounded up and procured the last bits and pieces of my system and headed down to Gainesville, FL so Kpr10is (Kevin) could do my install for me. Man am I glad I did because he absolutely rocked the house on my car. Got there and like a machine he powered through the install that night and into the wee hours of the morning till he was finished. Astonishing really after having just finished finals the day before, working a full shift that day and running only on a Publix Chicken sammy, Cool Ranch Doritos and steady refills of Gatorade and sweet tea.

After all was said and done, I've got a system that I'm truly happy with and a pleasant experience that will rest comfortably in my mind forever unless I get hit in the head with a brick or something. I know I shook your hand a kuhbillion times but thanks again Kevin. Good job.

Oh and I'd like to thank Filtor1 (Chris) for rocking the big 3 for me and for being such a gracious host. You’re an insanely good dude and I really appreciated your hospitality. Also appreciated those Yuenglings too
I'll also have to chef it up to some of those recipes in the cookbook your wife wrote!

And of course thank you to Pearl96Max (Don) for leading me in the right direction and hooking me up with all the goods to make it possible. Thanks bro.

Well, enough of my jibber jabber and flibber flabber, here are some pics I took that night and the day after I got home.

This amp rack is sick. Surpassed my wildest dreams and matches almost perfectly with my trunk interior. Amps are the Audison LrX 4.5 to power the fronts and Audison 1.1k to power my 10 sub.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

How's this for a neat little trick. Blown fuse in the distribution block: no problem!

In the doors, some Rainbow Profi kicks with the tweets flush mounted in the stock locations. Kevin had to do a little shaving to fit them in there but he got them in and they look cherry. I love looking at that big beautiful silk dome.

Wiring? What wiring?

And finally Filtor1's most excellent and stealthily done Big 3 upgrade.

As far as sound quality goes, it's fantastic. Just what I was hoping for. Warm but crisp and detailed highs, strong, full and powerful mids and a nice little complimentary thump in the trunk. I haven't fully realized the true potential of it yet as the speakers still need to break in and I have to figure out how to tune it properly (which I might have to seek y'all's help in doing sometime soon). I'm also trying to figure out which Eclipse speaker setup and sound to go with: the 3 way or 4 speaker + sub setup but the early verdict is that the sound is sweet and is gonna get even sweeter once it breaks in and I learn how to dial in the tuning of it.

Life is good.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Former Vendor

man thats a sick 1 day install. congrats and props to the man behind the scene.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
man thats a sick 1 day install. congrats and props to the man behind the scene.
****** A.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:13 PM
tastey wheat

beautiful job Kevin! I like the amp rack a lot, the amps stacked on top of each other are a great touch..
Old 05-07-2008, 07:52 PM

Thank you sirs.

I will say that the biggest reason it went as quickly as it did is because the deadening was all done before I touched the car, which was a big relief on my part because as much as deadening helps, its a PITA.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by kpr10is
Thank you sirs.

I will say that the biggest reason it went as quickly as it did is because the deadening was all done before I touched the car, which was a big relief on my part because as much as deadening helps, its a PITA.
Ah you're too modest. But yeah deadening can be a pain in the *** and very time consuming. That's why I did it a while back. A 6 pack and some tunes help but just ask the dude that did mine the first time. I think you may have seen this before but I think he may have had a 12 pack on his mind or gettin his pickle tickled that night because this is what I got at first.

Good lord. The drivers side was even more sparse and sporadic looking. He even stopped cutting the dampener all together and started to rip it off in chunks and just slapped it on there instead. After I pulled up a big chunk of it while rolling up my windows one day, I had to pull the panels off and take a peek. After I looked at his madness, I had to give it a go myself. What a dingleberry. That was $150 bucks well spent

But I'm glad the dampening done first helped but still..........
Old 05-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I see my hot water heater in one of those pics. It was a pleasure meeting you. I am very glad you are happy with the results.

Great job Kevin!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:44 PM

clean install...i wouldn't expect anything less from kev
Old 05-08-2008, 08:04 AM
gt35r

looks clean

Old 05-08-2008, 08:35 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

neener neener I told ya so !
Old 05-08-2008, 09:11 AM

Very nice...good choice with the amps.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:08 AM

Audison!!!! Very nice choice! Ever thought about taking off the grills to let your midbasses breathe? I did it with mine. I'll put up some pics soon.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
neener neener I told ya so !

Originally Posted by slickrick
Very nice...good choice with the amps.
Thank you
Originally Posted by ElVito1981
Audison!!!! Very nice choice! Ever thought about taking off the grills to let your midbasses breathe? I did it with mine. I'll put up some pics soon.
And thank you. Looks like you have good taste in amps as well.
As far as taking the grills off, I'm not sure yet. I have an insane fear that someone might stick a toe in one of them. Then I'd have to stick a toe in their ***. Would like to see your pics though just to see. Curious though, did you hear much of an improvement with them off vs them on?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:52 AM

yeah of course, plus it looks cooler. Don't worry about someone kicking--very very little chance of that happening, cause a persons legs are parallel with where the door speakers are. On the other hand, I haven't taken off the grills of the mids and tweeters in my kick panels--those are like right against where my foot rests, so that'd be a bad idea.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:13 PM

Enjoy your music, it should be very nice with that install. Like you I spent a lot of time without music, and even though I did the install myself, it required a lot of help from the guys you mentioned. Great crowd all around.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:57 PM

leave the grill on.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by Romster
Enjoy your music, it should be very nice with that install. Like you I spent a lot of time without music, and even though I did the install myself, it required a lot of help from the guys you mentioned. Great crowd all around.
Yes sir, I will be enjoying that music most excellently now. I'll just have to be careful not wear my ears out in the process. Man those tunes sound good turned up a bit. I'll have to tune her up so I can figure out how to do that. Find that zone if you will.

And great crowd indeed. The best. This forum is full of good uns and a pleasure to be around. Good stuff.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
leave the grill on.
Yup, I'm gonna. I like the stock look and as remote as the chance may be, I want to avoid bangin em up period.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
Yup, I'm gonna. I like the stock look and as remote as the chance may be, I want to avoid bangin em up period.
yep. i'd be kicking my own **** if i left the grill off and something happened to the mid.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
yep. i'd be kicking my own **** if i left the grill off and something happened to the mid.

it won't happen--they're parallel with your feet and your toes are pointed away from the mids. Plus, the mids sit a little higher up from where your feet are on the floor. This weekend I'll try to post some pics and you'll see how good it looks.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by ElVito1981
it won't happen--they're parallel with your feet and your toes are pointed away from the mids. Plus, the mids sit a little higher up from where your feet are on the floor. This weekend I'll try to post some pics and you'll see how good it looks.
I hear ya but I'm more worried about doing it when getting in and out of the car not while sitting in it.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:09 PM

Very nicely done guys.

Congrats on a nice azz install and equipment, glad to see you finally got those profi's in....
Old 05-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
Very nicely done guys.

Congrats on a nice azz install and equipment, glad to see you finally got those profi's in....
Ah me too.

Hey Juan, where are your crossover points on your phase plugs? My mids are at the specified 80hz/12db but where do you have your highs and low pass at? Curious about the sub too. I think I'm close with them but I was curious if there is a magic formula or something.

Thanks buddy.

Last edited by VTonmymind; 05-09-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:24 AM

Hey Spence, I have mine set at 63Hz/12db, both of these settings are for the sub and mids. When I was running more power to them I had the slope at 24db/octave. When I ran the higher slope I reversed the phase on the sub so it would blend in better with the mids.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:05 AM

can u take some more pics of the Big 3
and the lengths of the runs of cable

im fixin to take on that task here shortly

and are the 10s in the rear deck? really couldnt spot them

Last edited by travmaximas1998; 05-11-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Hey Spence, I have mine set at 63Hz/12db, both of these settings are for the sub and mids. When I was running more power to them I had the slope at 24db/octave. When I ran the higher slope I reversed the phase on the sub so it would blend in better with the mids.
63/12 for the mids, gotcha. I read a guy on another forum who had the Profi's liked the mids at 63 too. I'll have to give that a try. I'm right there with you on the sub. I have it on 63/12 too. As far as reversing the phase on the sub, how oh pretell do I do that? On the amp or is it hiding in my H/U (CD7000) somewhere. I've poked around a little bit and am coming up empty. Curious too, did you cross your Low pass filter (I've got mine @ 800hz @ 24db and highs @ 800Hz @ 12db.)

Oh and I'll bug you about your time alignment & EQ settings later
Old 05-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by travmaximas1998
can u take some more pics of the Big 3
and the lengths of the runs of cable

im fixin to take on that task here shortly

and are the 10s in the rear deck? really couldnt spot them
I think the runs were about 3 feet each. Perhaps one of them was 4 ft. and the other 2 3 ft. Not sure though. Filtor1 is was the big 3 wizard so perhaps he could chime in and let you know.

I'll take more pics as soon as I get a chance.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Oh they're not 10's in the rear deck they are some BA 6.5 coaxes. I am running a 10 for my sub but didn't have it in there cause you wouldn't have been able to see the beautiful rack.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:03 PM

63/12 for the mids, gotcha. I read a guy on another forum who had the Profi's liked the mids at 63 too. I'll have to give that a try. I'm right there with you on the sub. I have it on 63/12 too. As far as reversing the phase on the sub, how oh pretell do I do that? On the amp or is it hiding in my H/U (CD7000) somewhere. I've poked around a little bit and am coming up empty. Curious too, did you cross your Low pass filter (I've got mine @ 800hz @ 24db and highs @ 800Hz @ 12db.)

Oh and I'll bug you about your time alignment & EQ settings later

Reversing the phase is as simple as switching the positive and negative connections for the speaker, in this case your sub. Sometimes this helps bring the system together a little better. The CD7000 has this setting built in. It's a thing nice as you can listen to the difference right from the driver's seat. What did you cross at 800Hz, your mids and tweets? If that's the case, you are going to want to bump that up asap for the tweeters. I have my set running of the passives so the only x-over points I have at the moment are the one set for 63Hz.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:33 PM

all you need now is baby powder cause thats f***in pimpin.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:06 PM

Excellent install and excellent pics. Would love to see the sub location and set up. Only thing I'd recommend is maybe carpetting where you have the fuse block on the back of the amp rack to match the interior as you pull down the arm rest. Other than that I can honestly say one of the sickest trunk installs I've seen yet and you still got room for the groceries and the beer. Rock on!! LOL.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Reversing the phase is as simple as switching the positive and negative connections for the speaker, in this case your sub. Sometimes this helps bring the system together a little better. The CD7000 has this setting built in. It's a thing nice as you can listen to the difference right from the driver's seat. What did you cross at 800Hz, your mids and tweets? If that's the case, you are going to want to bump that up asap for the tweeters. I have my set running of the passives so the only x-over points I have at the moment are the one set for 63Hz.
Damn Juan, you weren't just kidding about reversing that sub phase. Found it under my Non Fader controls and reversed that bastard and wham, a much fuller more rich sound. Nice call.

After going back and forth between the 4 speaker + sub setup and then the 3 way setup, I'm going with the the 3 way layout. Obviously I don't have a 3 way setup but the sound is so much better and gives me so much more control and tuning ability. As far as to what I'm crossing I did a little more fiddling around and now have my highs @ 500hz @ 18db (tried them at 24db but the sound didn't seem as rich) They were at 800hz/12db. What slopes do you recommend? I also adjusted the Mid Hi-pass to 63hz @ 24db, have the Mid low pass adjusted to 630hz @ 24db and the low tuned to 63hz @ 18db. From what I can tell it sounds fantastic right now but I still could be way off. Thanks again for your help man.

Originally Posted by evi1maxima
all you need now is baby powder cause thats f***in pimpin.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by cfr94
Excellent install and excellent pics. Would love to see the sub location and set up. Only thing I'd recommend is maybe carpetting where you have the fuse block on the back of the amp rack to match the interior as you pull down the arm rest. Other than that I can honestly say one of the sickest trunk installs I've seen yet and you still got room for the groceries and the beer. Rock on!! LOL.
Thanks buddy. Yup I'm very happy with it. Kevin did a stellar job.
As far as my sub, I don't have an even floor board yet so I just toss it in there and put some towels underneath it to even her out. Not the most ideal setup but I'll figure something out after my move. Probably gonna lay some mdf board in there and secure it with some L brackets. It's a big box so when it's in there I've got just enough room for a couple golf club bags. I'll put the beer in the back seat.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

oh, and I upped the high cross to 1k @ 18db. I think I'm getting there.........

Last edited by VTonmymind; 05-11-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:54 AM

I'd recommend (to keep the trunk space) have your sub (if you have just one) box fiberglassed in the cubby of the passenger side trunk. Bring it out flush so it blends with the front part of the trunk so you now would have a 'squared' trunk. That way you'll have the correct air-space, no loss of trunk and it would look just as clean. NTM if you go with 2 10's, you have them across from one another firing towards the center and have all those sound waves working against each other to create a more rich deep bass.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:28 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

I'd recommend (to keep the trunk space) have your sub (if you have just one) box fiberglassed in the cubby of the passenger side trunk. Bring it out flush so it blends with the front part of the trunk so you now would have a 'squared' trunk. That way you'll have the correct air-space, no loss of trunk and it would look just as clean. NTM if you go with 2 10's, you have them across from one another firing towards the center and have all those sound waves working against each other to create a more rich deep bass.
A fine recommendation. I'll have to look into that. Thanx
Old 05-12-2008, 09:22 PM

have all those sound waves working against each other to create a more rich deep bass.
Never heard that one before...??
Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by 01GLEMist
Never heard that one before...??
Yea, thats new to me as well. What have I been missing all these years?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:39 PM

Cancellation FTL

Quick Reply: Just had a wicked good install done: Wanna see?