4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Adding keyless when it was not factory

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 07:33 PM

Adding keyless when it was not factory

I have searched plenty but can not come up with a definitive answer, many threads seem to touch on it but no solid solution. I have a 98 SE that does not have keyless, there is no box in the trunk near the antenna but the wiring and plug are there. There is no relay near the trunk latch either. To have basic keyless do i just need to buy a keyless module for the trunk and a remote?
Old 05-04-2008, 12:22 PM

thats weird. i was pretty sure every 4th gen came from the factory with keyless entry standard. my 95se didn't come with a remote when i bought the car last year but i bought one and it worked. Could the box and relay have been taken out maybe? I would think that those and the remote would be all that you would need. I think anything from a 97-99 should work for you.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:21 PM

my 96 has electric everything but it didn't have the security package or whatever. I do have an aftermarket alarm on it but it only locks/unlocks my doors. I havn't tried to hook up the trunk yet or the horns.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:50 AM

anyone possibly have a definite answer?
Old 05-05-2008, 07:50 PM

Well. my 99 SE came with the secuirty light fo sure. Tried programming method(key in key out), no lights flashed. Di some research looked in the trunk for module, wasn't there. Decided imma try find a module and put back there. The next thing i found out was that i had to find two wires back there that wud fit to the module and one for the antenna or else wouldnt make sense. Couldnt find the wire for the module. Looked behind the pillar in the back of the car, didnt see it, thats when i stopped and decided to stay with the keys opening the doors.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if your car has the security light in the dash then the car is prewired and you should have everything there. its also possible that someone did repairs on the rear right Q-panel and did not reinstall the keyless entry computer. if the wires are all there, just get the keyless entry box and relay and try programming the remote. should work.

by the way, i have the relay and that keyless entry computer for $20 shipped, pm me if you want it.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:20 AM

my car does not have the security light but the plug is there behind the block off where it belongs. I also found the plug for the trunk latch. It looks like the only wiring I am missing is the antenna. Module and relay are coming (from nsnrider)
Old 05-06-2008, 07:39 AM

All 4th gens were prewired for a few things, like power seats, keyless entry/alarm....It all just comes down to getting the stuff to make it work. It looks like your on the right track. The box and a remote is what youll need. Maybe if you want you can get a security light.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by bigpulve
All 4th gens were prewired for a few things, like power seats, keyless entry/alarm....It all just comes down to getting the stuff to make it work. It looks like your on the right track. The box and a remote is what youll need. Maybe if you want you can get a security light.
I had read on here that some didn't even have the wiring. What I'm really after is remote trunk release so I guess I'll have to find the solenoid for that somewhere. Any advice on an antenna for the module?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:46 AM

The car is prewired. All u need is the box and remote.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:30 PM

Not entirely true. I have a 95 gxe, manufactured in 94 so it was one of the first 4th gens, I added dual power heated leather seats to it. Originally the car was driver pwr and passenger manual. I removed the carpet to look for wiring for the passenger power but had no luck. I was forced to tap into the driver power and wire to the passenger seat.

I have heard that all 4th gens came pre wired for fogs. I added fog lights and those came pre-wired the empty harnesses were tucked behind the front bumper cover. However I have heard people claim their car did not come pre wired for fogs.

It seems that a majority of cars came pre-wired for these common accessories but no necessarily all of them.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 PM

I have a 95 gxe that was made in april of 94, cant get much earlier than that, and I have wiring for all of it...fogs, power seats, I already have keyless...
Old 05-07-2008, 03:06 PM

Does anyone know what other year(s) remotes will work if any? The 4th gen seems to be the most expensive.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by ZX9RBART
Does anyone know what other year(s) remotes will work if any? The 4th gen seems to be the most expensive.
I do believe only the 95-99 remotes work...and expensive? There like 30 bucks on Ebay...
Old 05-07-2008, 03:39 PM

I do believe only the 95-99 remotes work...and expensive? There like 30 bucks on Ebay...
Expensive compared to the newer ones going for 10 bucks. Although I agree overall thats not too expensive.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:29 PM

Well I got my module and relay today which brings up a few questions. The relay I got is blue and in the relay box under my hood there are no empty slots and in the slot marked "anti theft" there is already a black relay. The only difference I can see in the 2 is the interlocking, one is NO one is NC. Is there a way to test if the system works without a remote? I plugged the module in, locked the doors with the key, reached through the window, unlocked the door and opened it but nothing happened. I just have the module laying in the trunk as I didnt figure it would be grounded through the body.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:34 PM

Well I got my module and relay today which brings up a few questions. The relay I got is blue and in the relay box under my hood there are no empty slots and in the slot marked "anti theft" there is already a black relay. The only difference I can see in the 2 is the interlocking, one is NO one is NC. Is there a way to test if the system works without a remote? I plugged the module in, locked the doors with the key, reached through the window, unlocked the door and opened it but nothing happened. I just have the module laying in the trunk as I didnt figure it would be grounded through the body.
that means it was already prewired for it...All you have to do is plug it in, get a remote, program the remote, mount the box and have fun rolling the front windows down with the remote.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:37 PM

that means it was already prewired for it...All you have to do is plug it in, get a remote, program the remote, mount the box and have fun rolling the front windows down with the remote.
My question is...can i test the module before I purchase a remote? I tried the program sequence also but could not get the lights to flash either. (I dont have a remote but I thought that if I could get it into programming mode I would at least know it was functional)
Old 05-09-2008, 06:03 PM

There does not really seem to be an effective way to test the remote system without using a remote. Maybe you can borrow someones? From looking at the electrical diagram in the FSM it appears if the system has the multi remote relay, multi remote unit and the wiring it should work. I'm really surprized someone has not tried this before you.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nopike
There does not really seem to be an effective way to test the remote system without using a remote. Maybe you can borrow someones? From looking at the electrical diagram in the FSM it appears if the system has the multi remote relay, multi remote unit and the wiring it should work. I'm really surprized someone has not tried this before you.
I would have thought that by closing and locking the doors, entering the key more than 6 times in 10 seconds I should have at least gotten the lights to flash telling me that it is ready to learn a remote,
Old 05-09-2008, 06:17 PM

I would have thought that by closing and locking the doors, entering the key more than 6 times in 10 seconds I should have at least gotten the lights to flash telling me that it is ready to learn a remote,
Very good point, may take me a while but I'll see if I can figure it out.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:25 PM

Very good point, may take me a while but I'll see if I can figure it out.
Thanks, I dont have anything plugged into the antenna port and the unit is not bolted down (although I stuck it into the jack in case it needed the chassis of it grounded). The security plug (no light) has 12v constant on one wire but never gets a negative on the other under any of the circumstances I've tried. I did see in the fsm that the power to the module is fused but none of my fuses are labeled security or anything and the owners manual is no help.

EDIT: I just checked and I have 12v to the module.

Last edited by ZX9RBART; 05-09-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:33 PM

Not sure if it prevents operation completely but the system should have a Multi Remote Control Relay, I saw you mentioned anti-theft relay but that is a different relay.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:36 PM

Theft warning and multi remote systems are seperate systems. The theft system can be activated withiout the remote by locking your car.

Last edited by Nopike; 05-09-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:37 PM

Not sure if it prevents operation completely but the system should have a Multi Remote Control Relay, I saw you mentioned anti-theft relay but that is a different relay.
I have an open slot but there is no plug (unless it is taped down under the others like all the other security wires have been) can you tell me where the relay should be in relation to the others?
Old 05-09-2008, 06:48 PM

Insert and remove the key from the ignition key cylinder more than six times within
10 seconds. (The hazard warning lamp will then flash.)

Above is from FSM, Hazard warning lamps cannot flash without the Multi Remote Control Relay installed. I'm having trouble finding it's location, appears to be somewhere other than most relays.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:52 PM

I looked at the relay layout in the fsm and all of mine match what is shown there. (but like you said I do not see a multi remote relay)
Old 05-09-2008, 06:54 PM

I could be wrong but I think it maybe near the trunk latch.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:55 PM

I have a plug there but I assumed it was for the trunk release solenoid. I'll go check now.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:05 PM

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/readarticle.php?article_id=49
Yes that is the Multi control Relay back there. You need that relay, check out the link provided. This will cause blink of warning lights. Still cannot really check the system without a remote. Borrow one. I'm not certain it will work but all the brains for the remote are in the remote unit you installed. The antenna is there also. I believe when you do the programming of the remote you are communicating with that box. Good luck let me know how you do.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:06 PM

Thank you for the help, I should be able to make that relay as I dont want to wait for it to be shipped just to verify everything works so that i can wait once again for a remote. In the fsm it does not show the antenna but on the module there is a shielded connector for one. Any ideas?

Last edited by ZX9RBART; 05-09-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:17 PM

Ok, so should my rigged up for testing purposes security light be flashing or will it only work if a remote has been programed?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:19 PM

Pin #7 of the Remote unit hooks up to a window antenna, that picks up the signal from the keyless fob.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:21 PM

Ok, so should my rigged up for testing purposes security light be flashing or will it only work if a remote has been programed?
My feeling is it should flash with that relay properly installed that will tell you it is ready to be programmed, I'm not certain kind of learning this system on the fly.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:33 PM

Off topic but if you study that vq schematic there is no way the buzzer can work. As long as the rest of the schematic is correct it will suit me fine.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:40 PM

Pin #7 of the Remote unit hooks up to a window antenna, that picks up the signal from the keyless fob.
Pin 7 is not in the main plug, it must be the other shielded connection i mentioned.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:46 PM
4th Gen Parts King

Nissan used 2 different rear windows. One has an antenna built in for the keyless entry and one doesn't. Does yours have it built in? The keyless system will work without the antenna hooked up but the remote has to be within a foot of the module.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:56 PM

The rest of it is correct, I added this mod it's better to hear that you car has locked.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:58 PM

Rigging an antenna of some sort if it is not there should not be a big deal.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the help nopike. I will hook a testlight up to the module output for the relay tomorrow and it should flash as the parking lights would if i enter program mode.

Quick Reply: Adding keyless when it was not factory