General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Tips to Save GAS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:48 PM

Tips to Save GAS

I found this on another forum and I hope its not a repost, but this information should be helpful with the way gas prices are now.

Pumping gas - good to know with gasoline high prices~!!!

I've been in petroleum pipeline business for about 31 years, currently working for the Kinder-Morgan Pipeline here in San Jose, CA. We deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period from the pipe line; one day it's diesel, the next day it's jet fuel and gasoline. We have 34 storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Here are some tricks to help you get your money's worth:

1. Fill up your car or truck in the morning when the temperature is still cool. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground; and the colder the ground, the denser the gasoline. When it gets warmer gasoline expands, so if you're filling up in the afternoon or in the evening, what should be a gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and temperature of the fuel (gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products) are significant. Every truckload that we load is temperature-compensated so that the indicated gallonage is actually the amount pumped. A one-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for businesses, but service stations don't have temperature compensation at their pumps.

2. If a tanker truck is filling the station's tank at the time you want to buy gas, do not fill up; most likely dirt and sludge in the tank is being stirred up when gas is being delivered, and you might be transferring that dirt from the bottom of their tank into your car's tank.

3. Fill up when your gas tank is half-full (or half-empty), because the more gas you have in your tank the less air there is and gasoline evaporates rapidly, especially when it's warm. (Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating 'roof' membrane to act as a barrier between the gas and the atmosphere, thereby minimizing evaporation.)

4. If you look at the trigger you'll see that it has three delivery settings: slow, medium and high. When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to the high setting. You should be pumping at the slow setting, thereby minimizing vapors created while you are pumping. Hoses at the pump are corrugated; the corrugations act as a return path for vapor recovery from gas that already has been metered. If you are pumping at the high setting, the agitated gasoline contains more vapor, which is being sucked back into the underground tank, so you're getting less gas for your money. Hope this will help ease your 'pain at the pump'.

**Cliffnotes**
1. Fill up in morning when temp. is still cool.
2. If tanker is filling up stations tank, dont fill up.
3. Fill up when your tank is half full.
4. Use the "slow" setting on trigger.
-explaination for these tips are in the long version above
Old 04-24-2008, 09:15 PM

i'm gonna start doing the first 3 cause it all really makes sense, but the 4th i can't do. can't pump your own gas in NJ. so basically whatever they do is how it's done.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:26 PM
dot dot dot ...

I got that in an email about a week ago.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by issues636
i'm gonna start doing the first 3 cause it all really makes sense, but the 4th i can't do. can't pump your own gas in NJ. so basically whatever they do is how it's done.
Can't pump your own gas? Why Not? Just Curious.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:31 PM
dot dot dot ...

State Law.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:40 PM

I've never heard of that before...I guess is must be a safety issue or something?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

well at least if the fuel comes spewing out, it wont get all over you
Old 04-25-2008, 01:17 AM
Banned

Thanks for these tips. My old beast is really guzzling these days - maybe this can minimize the damage.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by cheyenne
I've never heard of that before...I guess is must be a safety issue or something?
i really don't even know the true reason why we can't pump our own gas, but ya it's a state law. i don't know if it's a safety thing or what, but it sucks when you have to sit there for 10 minutes just to put 20 bucks in your car cause the guy is taking forever to get to your car.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:43 AM

Hold on there...hmmm...who is the customer? You have every right to tell them how you want it done. YOU are paying the bill. I'd stand right next to them and intimidate them if they gave me grief over that.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by 1993-VG30E-GXE
Thanks for these tips. My old beast is really guzzling these days - maybe this can minimize the damage.
No Problem
Old 04-25-2008, 10:01 AM

Invest in diamond offshore(DO) and Pertobras (PBR). Then after you make x amount on 1 month option calls fill your gas tank. Let me know how that works out for you.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:01 AM

i really don't even know the true reason why we can't pump our own gas, but ya it's a state law. i don't know if it's a safety thing or what, but it sucks when you have to sit there for 10 minutes just to put 20 bucks in your car cause the guy is taking forever to get to your car.
Man that sucks. I wonder what they would do if you tried to pump it urself? ticket or overnighter in the box?LOL

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
Hold on there...hmmm...who is the customer? You have every right to tell them how you want it done. YOU are paying the bill. I'd stand right next to them and intimidate them if they gave me grief over that.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tippy Toes
Invest in diamond offshore(DO) and Pertobras (PBR). Then after you make x amount on 1 month option calls fill your gas tank. Let me know how that works out for you.
Have you invested in this yourself?
Old 04-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Licensed to Spell

That freaked me out before. I drove to Oregon and pulled up to a pump to get gas. Within a second a man approached me and asked which octane I wanted. My first thought was 'none of your business'. It took me about 5 seconds to realize he worked there and intended to pump my gas. When I said "No thanks", he kindly informed me I didn't have a choice. lol

Also, this is obvious but leave the nozzle in the gas tank for a short while after the pump clicks off. Also, give it a "good wiggle".

And then of course all the stuff we all know. Leave heavy items out of the car, accel/deccel slowly, proper tire inflation, car maintenance, use your cruise control, lower your top speed, etc., etc.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Administrator

My co-worker was just telling me about all this stuff last week. Two items listed are new to me. I had no idea that there were speed settings on the trigger. I thought the speed was the same, just that the three clicks were there so the nozzle is compatible with every vehicle on the street.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

1) Ridiculous, ground temps remain stable.

2) I'll agree

3) It should be the other way around, a full tank weighs more. More weight to pull around in the car will hurt fuel economy. Common sense here....

4) Vapor loss, please, seriously.....

Some good advise to get more $$ from a gallon of fuel is to keep your car in proper operating condition. That includes engine tune ups, oil changes, air filter, and most important keep the tire pressure correct and make sure your alignment is within spec as well. That saves fuel, not how or when you fill up..... seriously......
Old 04-25-2008, 04:38 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by The Wizard
My co-worker was just telling me about all this stuff last week. Two items listed are new to me. I had no idea that there were speed settings on the trigger. I thought the speed was the same, just that the three clicks were there so the nozzle is compatible with every vehicle on the street.
I call

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

Some good advise to get more $$ from a gallon of fuel is to keep your car in proper operating condition. That includes engine tune ups, oil changes, air filter, and most important keep the tire pressure correct and make sure your alignment is within spec as well. That saves fuel, not how or when you fill up..... seriously......
This should be considered first and foremost, and is ALWAYS (95% of the time) overlooked.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-25-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I call
huh???
Old 04-25-2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
1) Ridiculous, ground temps remain stable.

2) I'll agree

3) It should be the other way around, a full tank weighs more. More weight to pull around in the car will hurt fuel economy. Common sense here....

4) Vapor loss, please, seriously.....

1) Well don't know where your from but here in Tennessee the ground can be frosted over in the morning and then your out swimming by 11 am. So the temps do change.

2)

3)I feel where your coming from but more air in your tank allows for some gas to evaporate.

4) Think of it as pouring a beer (coke), the faster you poor, the more foam (fizz) you have, the slower you poor the more beverage you get and better taste!!

I'll agree with you 100% on the tune ups and stuff
Old 04-25-2008, 09:28 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by The Wizard
huh???
Dude, you’re like one of the most knowledgeable members on here and you’re trying to tell me that you did not know the gas pump didn’t have different ‘speeds (pour rates)? I always wait ‘til it stops, then ‘trickle’ a little in. Sorta like in analog mode.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:37 PM
bald aggression est 78

public transportation is the BESTway to save gas
Old 04-26-2008, 12:18 AM

i take the number 11 to work and school.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Dude, you’re like one of the most knowledgeable members on here and you’re trying to tell me that you did not know the gas pump didn’t have different ‘speeds (pour rates)? I always wait ‘til it stops, then ‘trickle’ a little in. Sorta like in analog mode.
Yup. Who would think that there would be speeds at a gas station? I mean, I like to pump my gas and get the hell outta there. It's not exactly fun pumping gas, so why would I pick the slowest setting, you know? That was my poor thinking.

The other day when I got gas I did try the speed settings. The speed difference between 1 and 3 is pretty darn close as it is......at least at the Shell gas station I always go to. I had to really pay attention to notice the difference in speed.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

maybe we're taking this too far kinda like njmax stated.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:21 PM

Hahaha I didn't know we had such penny pinchers here!

Liquid is denser when its cold - obviously but guess what? Fuel is stored far enough below that there is NO change between day and night. Another thing you get better gas mileage when your car is warm (warm outside).

Filling up when your 1/2 full doesn't make sense either. The extra weight will outweigh the unmeasurable amount of vapor loss.

Tippy Toes had the best suggestion. Light sweet crude oil is a commodity which can be publicly traded. There are also a bunch of options that will appreciate enough to save more than these ridiculous "tricks"

Perform regular maintenance, inflate tires to their recommended, and don't drive like your at lemans.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:37 PM
dot dot dot ...

Old 04-26-2008, 06:36 PM

Great tips everyone. I was making the seemingly innocent mistake of filling up the tank when it was half full.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:14 PM

damn now i have to wake up early to go get gas? f that.bytheway i dont like to go to those gas stations that have full service pumping my own gas feels good and you save like few cents
Old 04-26-2008, 07:48 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Floor it all the time. At first, your car will consume more gas but as the ECU learns, it will actually consume less. It may take a few dozen fill ups but it's worth it!
Old 04-26-2008, 11:06 PM

The reason its illegal in Oregon is so that they can give the bottom feeders (and teenagers) of society a job, thus, pumping your gas, it's also adding cost to the gas for them to pump it, which would suck if I lived there, but I suppose I could justify it with no income / sales tax. Plus, gas in San Francisco is really pricey nowadays so i'll be trying several of these. I usually fill up from almost Empty during the day or night, sometimes when they're filling up.

Gasbuddy.com could probably save you more money then these tips though.

Last edited by Mysticcal; 04-26-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:42 PM

Just got some new headers in and some other mods and now gas wants to go up over $4 a gallon?
I dont care, ill still chirp the tires at lights.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:57 AM

So would filling you gas up at 10 at night be right for filling up when temp is cool?
Old 04-27-2008, 08:07 AM
THT
Throbbing member

Originally Posted by maxima_man1992
So would filling you gas up at 10 at night be right for filling up when temp is cool?
Use your head. Or at the very least read the thread. The original post is bull****
Old 04-28-2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by maxima_man1992
Nope. At 10 at night it is probably close to being the warmest because it has had a full days worth of heat. It is only starting to cool off. If temps really do matter (I think this is a negligible difference, maybe a few drops worth?) I would say fill up in the morning would be the best solution.

Here is what I do that ACTUALLY gets me much better gas mileage.

1.) The engine is most efficient at higher loads but lower RPM's. I accelerate with 3/4 throttle all the time and shift at 2000-2500RPM. It is more efficient to do this and get to your cruising speed as quickly as possible. If there are cars in front of me that I would end up rear ending by doing this, I try to use as heavy throttle as possible, but just shift shorter, like 1500 or 2000 RPM. This is when the engine is most efficient. In theory full throttle with short shifts is actually the most efficient however most cars and ECU's enrichen the mixture at close to or at full.

2.) This isn't very safe if you don't know what you are doing and is illegal is some states, but they call it "arky overdrive." When I am cruising down a hill at 35+ MPH I usually am in either 4th or 5th gear and I put the clutch in, turn the engine off and then quickly turn the ignition back to the ON position.

-- It is crucial to turn the ignition back to ON because this makes sure you didn't turn the key back far enough to lock the wheel. I don't have to explain why this is bad for the wheel to lock

-- Just to take note of, with the engine off nothing provides more vacuum to the brake booster. You only have one application of the brakes at full power, after that, your braking will start to diminish quickly. As soon as you release the brake pedal any at all, the next time you go down further on the pedal you will have less braking ability

--Your power steering isn't active, you can steer the car but beware of more effort needed to do so.

-- Always leave it in gear and hold the clutch, with the ignition in the on position if something happens where you have to brake hard a second time or accelerate it is as simple as releasing the clutch and your engine is running again.

This can save gas on long downhills. In theory newer fuel injected cars shut off the injectors when the engine is running under no load at a higher RPM, however for a 3000lb car with a 3.0L V6, my maxima has miserable engine breaking, thus I have concluded our ECU's do not cut out all fuel and thus some can be saved by coasting longer distances with the engine off.

3.) Another thing is planning your stops with off-ramps, coming to intersections you know will be red or stop signs. Also distancing yourself from traffic. Any time you hit the brakes is wasted energy. Think of it as taking energy away that you put in with gasoline (aka your right foot). If you are tailgating someone and have to constantly be hitting the brakes and the gas, that is horribly inefficient. If you can stay far enough back and plan things so you only have to hit the brakes as minimally as possible to account for traffic it is much more efficient. Also, this kinda pisses people off who are impatient and behind you, but if a light goes red, or you are going down an off ramp, just take your foot off the gas and slowly coast in.

--First, why use tons of gas to maintain 60mph then slam on the brakes when you can not use gas and let your car slow to 30mph or so and then brake? Chances are you will be waiting at the traffic light anyway, except you just used less gas, less brakes, and have cooler brakes (its not good to stop on hot brakes at all) than the 60mph person.

-- Second, chances are by approaching it slower it may even turn green by the time you get there, meaning you don't have to waste energy by coming to a stop and accelerating again.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:44 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by modenaf1
thus I have concluded our ECU's do not cut out all fuel
They do actually. Not completely turned off, but IPW is decreases dramatically, and AFR goes off the charts (lean).
Old 04-28-2008, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by modenaf1
3.) Another thing is planning your stops with off-ramps, coming to intersections you know will be red or stop signs. Also distancing yourself from traffic. Any time you hit the brakes is wasted energy. Think of it as taking energy away that you put in with gasoline (aka your right foot). If you are tailgating someone and have to constantly be hitting the brakes and the gas, that is horribly inefficient. If you can stay far enough back and plan things so you only have to hit the brakes as minimally as possible to account for traffic it is much more efficient. Also, this kinda pisses people off who are impatient and behind you, but if a light goes red, or you are going down an off ramp, just take your foot off the gas and slowly coast in.

--First, why use tons of gas to maintain 60mph then slam on the brakes when you can not use gas and let your car slow to 30mph or so and then brake? Chances are you will be waiting at the traffic light anyway, except you just used less gas, less brakes, and have cooler brakes (its not good to stop on hot brakes at all) than the 60mph person.

-- Second, chances are by approaching it slower it may even turn green by the time you get there, meaning you don't have to waste energy by coming to a stop and accelerating again.
well said. This is the way I drive all the time
Old 04-28-2008, 11:33 AM
wants an I35

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml

in a 4 cyl car the "optimal" speed for gas mileage is ~57 mph.

in a 6, the "optimal" speed is a little over 62. every mph you go over that 62, because of the drag coeffeciant due to the increased air resistance, is like paying 50% more per gallon of gas (im looking for the link....when i find it ill post)

i try to keep myself below 80 on the highway but it rarely works because everyone goes at least 75 where i live.

driving under 65 in the far right lane with all the old poeple and drug traffickers just feels ridiculous.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:47 AM

Good info modenaf1...using the brakes as little as possible is definitely one of the best things a person can do to save gas.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ROCKART
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml

in a 4 cyl car the "optimal" speed for gas mileage is ~57 mph.

in a 6, the "optimal" speed is a little over 62. every mph you go over that 62, because of the drag coeffeciant due to the increased air resistance, is like paying 50% more per gallon of gas (im looking for the link....when i find it ill post)

i try to keep myself below 80 on the highway but it rarely works because everyone goes at least 75 where i live.

driving under 65 in the far right lane with all the old poeple and drug traffickers just feels ridiculous.

This really depends on the car, Not all 4cyl are the same. It depends on gearing as well.

I wouldn't live by this rule but, more drag does = lower mpg.

Quick Reply: Tips to Save GAS