All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

SSIM dyno sheets

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:27 AM

SSIM dyno sheets

I've searched for a while but nothing... I know there was a thread comparing the SSIM vs. stock IM but there were no actual number comparisons, and apparantley that thread has been deleted. Has anyone posted any dyno runs with a SSIM, what are the hp/torque gains/losses?

Is there that much of a loss in low and mid range power?
Would I really benefit from doing the SSIM mod?? I feel the torque in my car actually kills my runs and i'm always playing catch up with all my races... I end up catching up, but I could never get the tires to grip on take off. I'm currently running with an inactive VIAS because of that reason, too much torque that it leaves me spinning... and i'm launching at idle.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:38 AM
dot dot dot ...

Extended rev limit is always a good thing to have when doing this mod.

I'd say on average of 12-15 up top, and maybe a 6-10 tq loss in the midrange. For some reason the MT doesn't lose as much tq though.

I do a ton of highway driving, so this mod + 7100RPM + everything else I've done has certainly made this car far better than what it was powerwise.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-29-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:41 AM
dot dot dot ...

Not sure how many times I will say this, but slapping a mod alone typically wont do much. It's the 'tuning' (optimizing) the set-up which really does well for any given set-up.

I do not have a direct comparison with all mods being equal(aside from the IM), but you can see how this mod actually helped the shape of the curve, now amplification of the curve can be done through the little things.

Expect this:

These are not dynos of my car (4AT wouldn't ever let me start out that low of RPM), but as you can see, there is a 'loss', but it's only on a 'peaky' part of the curve, and by 'peaky' IMO, it wouldn't play a big part in the average hp/tq #. Couple that with the fact that most 5MT swapped A32's have a hard time w/ traction as it is. Couple that with the numerous 'tuning' options available to us (more timing, and you will gain most if not all of it back) Right now, I making more torque than I was for my previous best with the stock manifold.

But gain this:

2 good comparisons of my gains.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-29-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:41 AM
dot dot dot ...

Here are some more misc comps.

Patiently awaits 95BLK's Dynos.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:02 AM

I'm looking to the SSIM mod, along with a 3 inch custom MAF/intake, and tune it right away. I'm still waiting for CAlumsult to (hopefully) customize my stock A32 ECU and convert it to a realtime, programmable ECU.

For now, i'm stuck tuning the car with my VAFC II, and keeping the original rev limiter.

BTW, thanks NMex, and when are you coming to Las Cruces!? There's a new track opening up here (El Paso) in March. A real 1/4 mile track, with time slips.... not like the old track, an old broke down airport with an uneven launching area and a bumpy ending.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:18 AM
dot dot dot ...

I'll be down there as soon as it opens, probably the 1st weekend for sure, but I'll be new to the place so I'll need some guidance. The GF doesn't go to school there anymore, she finally graduated, so my trips down there are limited.

That will definitely be sweet once he cracks the code, or whatever it is he is planning doing. And of course, he will be flooded with hundreds of others with different years of ECU.

But if I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to do this mod. I have never regretted it even when my set-up wasn't optimized for it. Considering you're 5MT and in an A32 chassis with that engine, I do not think/believe you have anything to lose by performing this mod. Also, it's difficult to get the A33B VIAS 'system' working on an A32B since, the VIAS is activated differently(2 step process) than say a MEVI/00VI.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:45 PM

Opening day is scheduled for March 7th, 8th, and 9th. I'm trying to organize a cruise out on one of those days, so it'd be cool for you to roll ot there with the crowd. Either way, i can show you around or how to get there.

Nmex, you've convinced me to do the SSIM mod.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:30 PM

Now why is it whenever I did the mod a few months ago you were saying that I shouldn't have even done it because the gains were minimal and I was actually going to be slower with the mod NmexMax????
Old 01-29-2008, 07:25 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by pimpin02max
Now why is it whenever I did the mod a few months ago you were saying that I shouldn't have even done it because the gains were minimal and I was actually going to be slower with the mod NmexMax????
Originally Posted by Me
Extended rev limit is always a good thing to have when doing this mod.
Originally Posted by Me
Not sure how many times I will say this, but slapping a mod alone typically wont do much. It's the 'tuning' (optimizing) the set-up which really does well for any given set-up.
Originally Posted by Me
But if I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to do this mod. I have never regretted it even when my set-up wasn't optimized for it.
Originally Posted by Me
I do a ton of highway driving, so this mod + 7100RPM + everything else I've done has certainly made this car far better than what it was powerwise.
Originally Posted by Me
Couple that with the fact that most 5MT swapped A32's have a hard time w/ traction as it is. Couple that with the numerous 'tuning' options available to us (more timing, and you will gain most if not all of it back) Right now, I'm making more torque than I was for my previous best with the stock manifold.
Originally Posted by Me
Considering you're 5MT and in an A32 chassis with that engine, I do not think/believe you have anything to lose by performing this mod. Also, it's difficult to get the A33B VIAS 'system' working on an A32B since, the VIAS is activated differently(2 step process) than say a MEVI/00VI.
Originally Posted by 915Max
I'm looking to the SSIM mod, along with a 3 inch custom MAF/intake, and tune it right away. For now, i'm stuck tuning the car with my VAFC II, and keeping the original rev limiter.
It's color coded for you.
Lighter chassis (swapped 4th gen)
He's willing to optimize the set-up and not give up so quickly
My driving habits supported it even when my set-up wasn’t optimized.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:39 PM

OMG! That hurts my eyes!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 PM

No need to post my dynos, but as far as "midrange loss" when gutting the IM is concerned...

If like 90% of 3.5 swaps, your VI is currently not working, you will NOT loose any midrange power. The "loss" is already there from not having the VI functioning. So if you do the SSIM, really you have NOTHING to loose, and ALL to gain, mainly after 4500, thats where my powerband kicks in like woah.

Pre-SSIM I was ~180-185whp at redline, Post-SSIM I went up to 210whp. Added catback and 3" MAF took it up to 230whp. Add cutout and I dont remember what I gained at redline but it was ubber, lol. If you add some adapters clocked to have the Int cams in their "fully retarded" position, that redline would be insane with this mod on an A32
Old 01-31-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
No need to post my dynos, but as far as "midrange loss" when gutting the IM is concerned...

If like 90% of 3.5 swaps, your VI is currently not working, you will NOT loose any midrange power. The "loss" is already there from not having the VI functioning. So if you do the SSIM, really you have NOTHING to loose, and ALL to gain, mainly after 4500, thats where my powerband kicks in like woah.

Pre-SSIM I was ~180-185whp at redline, Post-SSIM I went up to 210whp. Added catback and 3" MAF took it up to 230whp. Add cutout and I dont remember what I gained at redline but it was ubber, lol. If you add some adapters clocked to have the Int cams in their "fully retarded" position, that redline would be insane with this mod on an A32
damn really...210 whp with the swap after ssim?
Old 01-31-2008, 08:01 PM
dot dot dot ...

Not too familiar with FWD VQ35 dynos are you?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-31-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Not too familiar with FWD VQ35 dynos are you?
i try not to look.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:21 PM

95BLKMAX, what did you air/fuel ratio look like when you did the 3' MAF mod?? Did you notice where it stood before tuning!?

It looks like I might be needing to wait a little until I get it tuned, but I really want to do the 3 " MAF and the SSIM at the same time, and soon.

I know it wont be wise to do the 3"MAF without tuning because it leans it out, but how much... I figure A32 ECU + VQ35= pig rich... now pig rich + 3"MAF(given that it leans it out) = a good and/or safe air/fuel ratio!? LOL I dunno, i'm being impatient I guess....
Either way, I would imagine it doesnt lean it out to where it would have a negative effect on the A32/VQ35 combo... what do you guys think!?
Old 01-31-2008, 08:26 PM
dot dot dot ...

It worked on an A33B.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
damn really...210 whp with the swap after ssim?
Sir that 210whp AT REDLINE. After it came down from the peak.

95BLKMAX, what did you air/fuel ratio look like when you did the 3' MAF mod?? Did you notice where it stood before tuning!?

It looks like I might be needing to wait a little until I get it tuned, but I really want to do the 3 " MAF and the SSIM at the same time, and soon.

I know it wont be wise to do the 3"MAF without tuning because it leans it out, but how much... I figure A32 ECU + VQ35= pig rich... now pig rich + 3"MAF(given that it leans it out) = a good and/or safe air/fuel ratio!? LOL I dunno, i'm being impatient I guess....
Either way, I would imagine it doesnt lean it out to where it would have a negative effect on the A32/VQ35 combo... what do you guys think!?
perhaps this table I made from when I went logging timing might answer your questions to give you a better idea of what corrections I had with the A32/ 3" MAF and what MAF IN i used etc... Use the info as you see fit...

Focus on the purple table and the one directly after it specifying which scenario is which
Old 01-31-2008, 10:22 PM
dot dot dot ...

404 ERROR, no AFR found

915, don't be impatient, it will be worth it in the end. Before I got my WB, I did a run w/o any correction and the car ran like utter crap. I could have severely damaged my engine because when I finally got my WB installed, I tried it again, and it was DANGEROUSLY (18+)lean. I thought, what a lucky idiot I am. I was running it like that @ WOT, no wonder my ECT’s were going up fast. Strange thing is, it worked for another member without any AFC correction, but then again our cars (He and I ) were set-up different, long story short, you might not come out as lucky as I did.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-31-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:29 AM

404 ERROR, no AFR found

915, don't be impatient, it will be worth it in the end. Before I got my WB, I did a run w/o any correction and the car ran like utter crap. I could have severely damaged my engine because when I finally got my WB installed, I tried it again, and it was DANGEROUSLY (18+)lean. I thought, what a lucky idiot I am. I was running it like that @ WOT, no wonder my ECT’s were going up fast. Strange thing is, it worked for another member without any AFC correction, but then again our cars (He and I ) were set-up different, long story short, you might not come out as lucky as I did.

Yeah I know, but then again, I highly doubt i'd be up in the 18's range.... i dont think i would even be close to that, just because a VQ35 swapped A32 is already a combination of pig rich ratio's.

I might just pay the 100.00 to get it street tuned by a local shop, and then buy a WB afterwards.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:34 AM
dot dot dot ...

Yeah I know, but then again, I highly doubt i'd be up in the 18's range.... i dont think i would even be close to that, just because a VQ35 swapped A32 is already a combination of pig rich ratio's.

I might just pay the 100.00 to get it street tuned by a local shop, and then buy a WB afterwards.
Keep in mind I was and still am using Z33 injectors. Same thing applies for a header'd A33B (notoriously rich).

That and IIRC I wasn't running a PCV hose at the time of those logs . Many variables and only one way to really find out.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:09 AM

we are in the saaaame boat. I need a tune bad, and am dragging my feet on getting a wideband.

your planning on doing the pvc thing like 95blkmax did?

Last edited by chillin014; 02-01-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:33 PM

Wait out the tuning by the shop man, thats $100 down the drain that you could have used for the wideband itself. I FINALLY bought one when streetz refused to lend me his, lol. It was well worth it. I can look at my a/f whenever I want. Make a change to my setup and tune it the same day w/o paying dynotime.

The only time you'd really need a dyno is to see where your HP is. So trust me it may be alot of $ up front, but WBs pay themselves off pretty damn fast.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:51 PM

i was thinking about getting this done, this is good information...
Old 02-06-2008, 08:19 AM

There should be a sticky for the SSIM mod and its gains and/or losses with dyno sheets. I know its not a hard mod, but I think its a good idea to have easy access to this info because it tends to get brought up quite often, especially by people who arent on the forum too frequently like myself.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:08 AM

Before SSIM (CAI, ypipe, gutted cat, UDP, tune)

After SSIM and catback (the rest is constant)

I know they are from diff dynos and all, but at the time I had no means to get the runfiles. But its just to give you an idea of the magnitude of change after 4000 pre and post SSIM.

NOTICE- midrange "drop in power" is not there after the SSIM... it was ALWAYS there for me. So if your VIAS isnt fully functional, guess what, you ALREADY HAVE that "drop in power". So adding the SSIM is only going to gain you power after 4000 and will not alter the midrange.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The dip IS more drastic relative to the rest of the powerband, but you're right, it doesn't change the fact that it's there if someone has a non-operating VI to begin.

And IMO, not sticky worthy. We have enough of those.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:42 PM

Just wondering if anybody has experienced any bad effects from doing this mod? I am interested in doing it but wanted to get some feedback before I did it.

I only have heard one person on here claiming he didn't like the way the car ran after he did the SSIM mod. He was not specific what was happening.

thanks
Old 02-13-2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by MaximusMorpheus
Just wondering if anybody has experienced any bad effects from doing this mod? I am interested in doing it but wanted to get some feedback before I did it.

I only have heard one person on here claiming he didn't like the way the car ran after he did the SSIM mod. He was not specific what was happening.

thanks
Apparently I'm the only one this has happened to but...After I gutted the manifold and reinstalled my idle shot way up above 1 grand somewhere. I thoguht I had an intake leak but I've since replaced my injector o-rings, and put liquid gasket on the spots i was worried about (took it all off/apart to check).
I dont have an idle air control valve and it is a 4th gen 3.5 swapped so...who knows wtf is wrong with it. all i know is my tps is way out of specs on the closed throttle position surely because ive had to adjust the throttle body stop screw.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

So, can any one state why more volume affects idle?
Old 02-13-2008, 01:53 PM

So, can any one state why more volume affects idle?
never heard of anyones else car doing it. there's no harm in bringing the tps out of spec at the idle position, right? its the wot one you want to make sure is close...?
Old 02-13-2008, 01:58 PM
dot dot dot ...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....148&highlight=
Old 02-13-2008, 02:02 PM

i dont see how that thread has anything to do with my problem. I dont have a misfire, just a higher-idle. And my manifold is gutted just the same as the pictures I've seen. the shelf is completely removed.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:24 PM

Wait, your tps is out of spec at idle and you're looking elsewhere for causes of the idle issue? Allthough it's not going to make THAT much of a difference, it's also probably whacked out because you have your TB cracked so much, get an iacv back on there, close the TB back up, set the tps, and enjoy 650 +/- 50
Old 02-13-2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Wait, your tps is out of spec at idle and you're looking elsewhere for causes of the idle? I'de set that, allthough it's not going to make THAT much of a difference. Also, if you got an IACV you could close that TB back up and probably have some better results.
i dont have an iacv hooked up to it. i'll put one on shortly...its on my to-do list. but that still doesnt explain why the idle shot up from normal 650 to 1k+.

the tps is out of spec now that i have had to adjust the stop screw..thats waht i was saying. but actually, for whatever reason i couldnt ever get the tps in spec before. i dont remember whether it was off too high or too low but it was never in spec when the wide-open parameter was set. I had to clock it all the way to the right to get it in spec for WOT and it would be off on the idle/no throttle setting.

but still..even with all that said...it was all like that BEFORE the manifold was gutted and it ran fine. it still does run fine, ive just had to close the throttle body up alot more to get it to idle low enough. right now ive still got it idling at 750 and it fluctuates to 850 too. im gonna go close it up more.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:33 PM

Bump it down real low and spray some extra strength starting fluid around it to find any leaks, you can also use just the hose part of those automotive stethescope's they sell at sears, those things are the ****. But anyways, vacuum leak is the only thing that logicaly explains the imediate jump in idle.

Yeah, I gotchya on the tps, I edited my post but you quoted it like instantly
Old 02-13-2008, 04:39 PM
dot dot dot ...

I never said that thread had the same problem as you, I only posted it because YOU stated you had not heard of anyone running into problems, particularly idle problems, which is the same problem in that other thread. You asked, and I provided, ok?
Old 02-13-2008, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Bump it down real low and spray some extra strength starting fluid around it to find any leaks, you can also use just the hose part of those automotive stethescope's they sell at sears, those things are the ****. But anyways, vacuum leak is the only thing that logicaly explains the imediate jump in idle.

Yeah, I gotchya on the tps, I edited my post but you quoted it like instantly
i appreciate you helping me out 350. I swear i checked it all out when i took it apart the other week to install the injector o-rings. I dont know, im gonna try to spray some of that stuff i guess again. what are you saying about just the hose part of the stethoscopes?

thanks for you trying to help as well nmexmax even though i dont really remember "ASKING" to see that.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:08 PM

Has anyone done this on a 6th gen ? Im hearing mix reviews from a few Nissan techs down here to NOT do this mod , Something about the airpump ( round black pump ) that connects to the VIAS, ? is there any truth to this ?

I have the Manifold off as I just finsh up installing the NWP spacers... I dont see any 6th genners with this MOD ,but maybe the VQ35 Gurus can chime in. I was told there is a slight difference with the 5.5 and 6th , mainly the EGR system , will cutting the shevles off the manifold cause the ecu to throw any codes ?

With all the talks im not too sure what to believe right now,

Thanks in Advance
Old 02-14-2008, 11:16 PM

Nissan techs are probably some of the LEAST knowledgeable people concerning modifications on the cars they work on.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
Nissan techs are probably some of the LEAST knowledgeable people concerning modifications on the cars they work on.
as cool as my tech is, he only knows what the stealership taught him, or what he was taught in his "training"

He had an auto 5.5 and said that he would run circles around me all day stock vs. stock and that he would easily beat the 6spd 5.5...

Quick Reply: SSIM dyno sheets