Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

What size spacers would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:40 AM

What size spacers would you recommend?

I am looking to make my wheels flush with my fenders, possibly even stick out a LITTLE bit.

I would assume maybe a 5mm or 10mm for up front, but what would you guys recommend for the rear?

Any particular companies to recommend that already come with studs? H&R, Eibach, Ichiba? Websites with the cheapest prices? Will spacers from the Z fit our car?

How much does a set of these weigh?

REAR

FRONT
Old 12-18-2007, 10:00 AM

I honestly can't recommend a spacer with a picture, heres how I do it...

Get a string and tie something to the end of it, should be long enough to clear the wheel gap if you have any. Place the string on the very top of the fender and let it dangle. Use a metric ruler and measure out how much you need.

Since you have a 6th gen, when the suspension compresses you should clear the fender by miles when the wheel cambers in. I like a little pole as well 5-10mm, though the latter is cutting it close. Also make sure you roll your fenders for extra protection...

All of the spacers you listed are of good quality...just go with the cheapest...
Old 12-18-2007, 10:24 AM

ya, that's another thing...It seems that if I were to do spacers on the rear, then it would definitely touch the fender...

I also don't really want to roll my fenders either...how would that look since they are already kind of "rolled?" Pricing?
Old 12-18-2007, 12:23 PM

h&r comes with studs already even for 5mm
Old 12-18-2007, 05:31 PM

I believe most of them are made of aluminum so weight is basically nothing. I just got my package in the mail, and it was 4 lbs. I'd say 3 of those lbs are the new studs.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:00 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

I got 4 x 5mm spacers for sale if you want
Old 12-18-2007, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
ya, that's another thing...It seems that if I were to do spacers on the rear, then it would definitely touch the fender...

I also don't really want to roll my fenders either...how would that look since they are already kind of "rolled?" Pricing?
Rolling a fender is just bending the inner lip up flat against the outside sheet metal (the part you see) to add some clearence. I think you are thinking of something else. You won't notice a rolled fender unless you look behind it...

You can probably find someone to do it for 20 bucks a fender, or do it yourself if you are brave enough Its really not hard, just takes a baseball bat, heat gun, and some patience...Don't rush it or you may chip the paint...
Old 12-19-2007, 05:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

^^^.

I'd say 15mm in the rear and 5-10 in front. H&R spacers worked fine for me (5mm & 15mm). Should work for your car too.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Wild for Width

Agree with the above. You also have to remember that the wheel will gain some camber upon rear suspension compression, not move straight up into the fender.

Any brand will probably be fine as long as it is hubcentric although it seems H&R is probably the most popular choice with Maximas.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
Agree with the above. You also have to remember that the wheel will gain some camber upon rear suspension compression, not move straight up into the fender.

Any brand will probably be fine as long as it is hubcentric although it seems H&R is probably the most popular choice with Maximas.
Thats what I explained but I guess not well enough (the camber compression)

Search parts shop max over at Zilvia.net, they have fairly cheap spacers, though they don't make anything smaller than 15mm (great for the rear), I think they are like 70 bucks and hub centric
Old 12-19-2007, 08:52 PM

I just bought a pair of Eibach spacers from www.ultrarev.com (5mm were $62 shipped)
<try SALE in the coupon slot, 10% off IIRC>

If your unsure of the size, you can try using washers for a test fit. DO NOT drive the car with washers as spacers. The washer method works so you can see if the wheel has other issues caused by the spacer. It will also let you check wheel stud thread engaugement, I found on my Z that any spacer requires longer studs.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:55 PM
dot dot dot ...

Good point. we w/ H&R's take it for granted since most if not all of their kits come w/ appropriate size studs.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
^^^.

I'd say 15mm in the rear and 5-10 in front. H&R spacers worked fine for me (5mm & 15mm). Should work for your car too.
If that's your set-up in your sig then I think I may like that hmmmm but your wheels are 8.5'' wide while mine are 8''

Originally Posted by Fast1one
Thats what I explained but I guess not well enough (the camber compression)

Search parts shop max over at Zilvia.net, they have fairly cheap spacers, though they don't make anything smaller than 15mm (great for the rear), I think they are like 70 bucks and hub centric
I understood the camber compression, but I just wasn't sure if it were to stick out far enough, then it would probably still hit.

What does "hub-centric" mean?

Originally Posted by z32drifter
I just bought a pair of Eibach spacers from www.ultrarev.com (5mm were $62 shipped)
<try SALE in the coupon slot, 10% off IIRC>

If your unsure of the size, you can try using washers for a test fit. DO NOT drive the car with washers as spacers. The washer method works so you can see if the wheel has other issues caused by the spacer. It will also let you check wheel stud thread engaugement, I found on my Z that any spacer requires longer studs.
I like the washer idea for testing!

Good point. we w/ H&R's take it for granted since most if not all of their kits come w/ appropriate size studs.
?????

Last edited by !PrjctMax!; 12-19-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:05 PM
dot dot dot ...

Yeah, but 0.5" = 12mm, perhaps offset to each side for the wheel (~6mm / edge). Although, your car does have a slightly larger chassis.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:55 AM
Wild for Width

Hub-centric means that the spacer will have a bore diameter of 66.1mm which is the same as the stock wheels. This means that the spacer will be perfectly seated on the hub when tightened. Same principal as h/c wheel rings, Jeff's Cobra rings, etc. They are incorporated to avoid vibration at speed from not spinning on the hub's axis.

By "we w/H&R's", NmexMAX is referring to people that use the H&R wheel spacers.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
Hub-centric means that the spacer will have a bore diameter of 66.1mm which is the same as the stock wheels. This means that the spacer will be perfectly seated on the hub when tightened. Same principal as h/c wheel rings, Jeff's Cobra rings, etc. They are incorporated to avoid vibration at speed from not spinning on the hub's axis.

By "we w/H&R's", NmexMAX is referring to people that use the H&R wheel spacers.
aha! gotcha.

http://autosportstyle.com/shop/nissa...s-p-58232.html

Those are 66.2...is that still good?
Old 12-20-2007, 10:23 PM

aha! gotcha.

http://autosportstyle.com/shop/nissa...s-p-58232.html

Those are 66.2...is that still good?
I am sure they are fine, all Nissans have the same bore size (may be one or two that I can't remember), so it may be a miss-print, or some clearence for an easy fit...

BTW 5mm will barely be noticeable (people usually use those for tight clearances), if your going to do it then go all out. Just go out and measure and round down 5mm or so...i am guessing about 15mm should do the trick

Last edited by Fast1one; 12-20-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:02 AM

I am sure they are fine, all Nissans have the same bore size (may be one or two that I can't remember), so it may be a miss-print, or some clearence for an easy fit...

BTW 5mm will barely be noticeable (people usually use those for tight clearances), if your going to do it then go all out. Just go out and measure and round down 5mm or so...i am guessing about 15mm should do the trick
mmmk, sounds good! Just wanted to make sure on the bore size

I am considering 5mm up front because it is already pretty close to being where I want it to be. 15mm would be in the rear, even though I still have to measure both of them with washers to see where I really want them to be.

If I use washers as a temporary just to see how it fits...will the lug-nuts still go on, or will there be too little thread left?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:37 PM

^^ You will normally have about 12mm of thread to play with, so you may not be able to simulate a 15mm spacer with washers. Count the turns of the lug nuts and X by 1.25 that will tell you how much thread you have. ie 10 turns = 12.5mm
Old 12-25-2007, 08:27 AM

I finally measured them this morning...

REAR

FRONT

The rear looks to be about 8-9mm and the front looks to be about 4-5...so would you guys agree that 5mm in the front and 10mm in the rear would be sufficient?

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2007, 10:21 AM

Yeah I would sat 5 and 10 would be perfect, unless you want a little poke, in that case increase them by 5-10mm, Merry Christmas!

Edit: BTW I have about 15mm of poke in the front, camber is 0, 2 finger gap, and I have NO rubbing in the front. You will probably be fine with a little poke
Old 12-25-2007, 11:01 AM

Yeah I would sat 5 and 10 would be perfect, unless you want a little poke, in that case increase them by 5-10mm, Merry Christmas!

Edit: BTW I have about 15mm of poke in the front, camber is 0, 2 finger gap, and I have NO rubbing in the front. You will probably be fine with a little poke
So should the rear be free of rubbing too?
Old 12-25-2007, 12:18 PM

So should the rear be free of rubbing too?
Most likely, you have IRS, my 4th gen does not, so it should compress and tuck in enough for a measly 5-10mm if your not utterly slammed...

If you have slight rubbing with 10mm of poke you can always add a tiny bit of negative camber...so long *** your Toe is in line, camber doesn't do too much at all on its own. Combined with bad toe though it can wreak havoc
Old 12-25-2007, 06:19 PM
i SeE what you did therE

^^^.

for some reason, i would listen to him...
Old 12-25-2007, 06:20 PM
i SeE what you did therE

I finally measured them this morning...

REAR

FRONT

The rear looks to be about 8-9mm and the front looks to be about 4-5...so would you guys agree that 5mm in the front and 10mm in the rear would be sufficient?

Merry Christmas!
canadian ruler????
Old 12-25-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by redmaxpa007
for some reason, i would listen to him...
I am probably going to end up doing so

...and I was waiting for someone to say something about the ruler!
Old 12-25-2007, 06:27 PM
i SeE what you did therE

I am probably going to end up doing so
good
...and I was waiting for someone to say something about the ruler!

Old 12-25-2007, 06:29 PM

Old 12-25-2007, 06:31 PM
i SeE what you did therE

the was for the ruler...
Old 12-25-2007, 06:32 PM

I want the bishes to be FLUSH...stick out a mm, or two, but mostly flush
Old 12-25-2007, 06:33 PM

the was for the ruler...
I got that, but don't know why...lol...anti-Canada, or so Pro-America that a Canadian ruler is a big ? lol
Old 12-26-2007, 10:56 AM

I got that, but don't know why...lol...anti-Canada, or so Pro-America that a Canadian ruler is a big ? lol
Why don't Canadian rulers start it measuring lines at the edge of the ruler?

I'd say the rear measurment is more like 14mm and the front is about 6 or 7mm. With my very limited knowledge of this topic of spacers I think you could easily fit the 5mm on the front and then go with the 10mm on the rear and it should look even without worry for rubbing. 15mm on the rear will be close and could likely fit but I always error on the side of caution. As always, post pics when done.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:58 PM
i SeE what you did therE

just something to bust your ***** about....

and remember.... when you are taking pics and posting them on the internet, people will look for the smallest thing...

Old 12-26-2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Why don't Canadian rulers start it measuring lines at the edge of the ruler?

I'd say the rear measurment is more like 14mm and the front is about 6 or 7mm. With my very limited knowledge of this topic of spacers I think you could easily fit the 5mm on the front and then go with the 10mm on the rear and it should look even without worry for rubbing. 15mm on the rear will be close and could likely fit but I always error on the side of caution. As always, post pics when done.
Oh wow... stupid on my side!

Didn't notice that until now...so ya, the edge of the ruler is about 5mm, so rear should definitely be a 15mm, and the front should be good with a 5mm thanks for the clarification!

just something to bust your ***** about....

and remember.... when you are taking pics and posting them on the internet, people will look for the smallest thing...
Figured, and yes I definitely know that!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:48 AM

Alright...I finally got around to getting washers and testing out the "space." Someone told me that you do not need longer studs with 5mm spacers...and ummm the nuts threaded on maybe 1.5 turns, so I would assume that studs ARE needed.

The washers that I used were about 3mm a piece. I used two up front and I liked the results. I put 3 nuts back on and put the car on the ground in this picture.

As for the rear......................wtf is wrong?

5 washers=about 15-16mm

I could NOT get the wheels on with the nuts, so I just propped the nut remover on the bottom of the wheel so that it would stay "flat" and I could take a picture. When I looked in the holes, the studs were perfectly flush with the studs, so NO thread was sticking out.

I know the wheels would camber in once put on the ground, but holly **** the wheel sticks out A LOT! Keep in mind that I want a FLUSH look.

Here are some more "measurement" pictures.

5 rear washers

pleaz helpz
dan
Old 01-11-2008, 11:14 AM
i SeE what you did therE

i swear, i am gonna buy you a new ruler.................
Old 01-11-2008, 11:15 AM

i swear, i am gonna buy you a new ruler.................
!

out of all of the info...that is all you decided to reply on?!
Old 01-11-2008, 11:21 AM
i SeE what you did therE

see, now you made me answer your second post...instead of talking about your original one...
Old 01-11-2008, 11:23 AM
i SeE what you did therE

so, the 5mm is good for the fronts..

but 15mm is making you looks silly on the rear....

? that is what you are saying?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:27 AM
i SeE what you did therE

did you try 5 mm on the rears?

Quick Reply: What size spacers would you recommend?