All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Where to buy elbows? Also, 00VI Intake Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Theres a whole in the airbox and it was the closes. With a little permatex the sensor doesnt move. I used one end of an a33b maf cut it off. The flat connecting piece on the a33 maf is bigger than the a32 maf and you need so you can mount in to the air box. I then mounted the a32 maf to the airbox using bolts/ self taping bolts.

The reason you see an extra wiring spliced in is thats an extra ground for the maf. There are no cut wires. Im using an A32 maf. The whole assembly is held in by friction and the hood scoop helps hold it in. Im thinking about making some brackets to hold it down all the way when i get some time. It does move around some but it requires some effort by hand.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Bacon Lover

I see. So you basically hacked off the end of an A33 MAF to make it work? I'll see what I can do if I get one, but it may not be for a while.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:02 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Tatanko
I see. So you basically hacked off the end of an A33 MAF to make it work?
That’s what I need to do in order to have my LRMAF mate up to my stock airbox

Hack OEM piece off, mate to LR piece,
Old 11-16-2007, 05:48 PM

You have to be able to get this part at a home depot or another parts store. Didnt feel like looking seeing how a empty a33 maf shell came with my airbox.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:49 PM
dot dot dot ...

Which part? MAF housing?
Old 11-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Bacon Lover

I assume that's what he means. I'd hate to have to buy an A33 MAF to make this work, wouldn't seem to justify the cost.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:02 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

This is my setup now. I'm using the 5th gen resonator with hose. No nasty bends at all.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Bacon Lover

I think that setup is what I may go with here soon at least temporarily. The 4th gen stock midpipes work, but not as well as I'd like them to. They definitely get the job done, though, compared to a plain old short ram.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:51 PM

the 4th gen stock midpipe was too much of a stretch for me. if i remember correctly the abs stuff gets in the way, so it was up against that.

looks like the 5th gen midpipe stuff though the box is offset from the hole.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by aznsap
the 4th gen stock midpipe was too much of a stretch for me. if i remember correctly the abs stuff gets in the way, so it was up against that.

looks like the 5th gen midpipe stuff though the box is offset from the hole.
I am using a stock 4th gen midpipe right now. I have an accordion on the throttlebody, then a straight pipe, then the stock midpipe, then the MAF, then a cone filter.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:58 AM

get the 5th gen. Its a cleaner install.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:56 AM
oem ftw!

So the 5th gen midpipe + regular accordion will fit nice and snug in there, even with all of the ABS stuff? hmmm... Looks like i'll be hitting up the junkyards sometime soon! It's time to ditch this short ram! Have to figure out a way to get the 5th gen midpipe + PRCAI-style tubing into the hole in my fender well (no idea if this will work, probably not, but if it does, would be great)!
Old 11-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by 2pb
So the 5th gen midpipe + regular accordion will fit nice and snug in there, even with all of the ABS stuff? hmmm... Looks like i'll be hitting up the junkyards sometime soon! It's time to ditch this short ram! Have to figure out a way to get the 5th gen midpipe + PRCAI-style tubing into the hole in my fender well (no idea if this will work, probably not, but if it does, would be great)!
I am sure that if you really wanted to use the PR CAI tube, you could angle it a tiny bit or buy an angled coupler or something (like 22.5 deg. or 45 deg.).
Old 01-12-2008, 08:05 PM
oem ftw!

Alright guys, sorry for the old bump here, but after being unsuccessful at finding the 5th gen intake parts at my local junkyards, I've ordered a complete intake from a user on this board. I'm going to ditch the PRCAI idea altogether and attempt something along the lines of what JamesNH did (Thank you for the pictures). Even if this requires a few Home Depot visits, this WILL get done!
Old 01-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Bacon Lover

No problem with the bump, research is research. I unfortunately won't be able to continue mine
Old 01-13-2008, 06:14 AM

I unfortunately won't be able to continue mine
Porque no?

I am using a stock accordian with a 5th gen short ram mid pipe. Why did you guys decide to go stock midpipe?
Old 01-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
Porque no?

I am using a stock accordian with a 5th gen short ram mid pipe. Why did you guys decide to go stock midpipe?
Car may be totalled

Why the stock midpipe? Because it works and it was free
Old 01-13-2008, 01:06 PM
oem ftw!

Car may be totalled

say it ain't so man, I hope it's repairable. There aren't many of us '95 pebble beige auto's around here. Especially considering all that you've contributed to the community, you've gotta keep the movement alive! I hope that you can get that all sorted out soon.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:13 PM

Car may be totalled

Why the stock midpipe? Because it works and it was free
Not cool. Any future plans if she is gone?
Old 01-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Bacon Lover

If she truly is totalled, which I almost hope it is (I can keep any parts I want and the car truly is in a BAD situation), I have probably three paths to consider: cheap 1G DSM, a '97 GTP my buddy owns, or possibly even a black-on-black 5-speed A32
Old 01-13-2008, 11:57 PM

If she truly is totalled, which I almost hope it is (I can keep any parts I want and the car truly is in a BAD situation), I have probably three paths to consider: cheap 1G DSM, a '97 GTP my buddy owns, or possibly even a black-on-black 5-speed A32
Black is sexy. Did you hurt the retro?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by kzoosho
Black is sexy. Did you hurt the retro?
Nope. Nothing forward of the bumper is so much as even scratched, thank god.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:07 PM

alright I have to ask this as I am getting sick of my ghetto *** intake set-up, Can I use a Place Racing CAI without modding anything? If not then I guess I am going to be looking for a 2000 maxima air intake box and all the other stuff.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:15 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by Blackmax1924
alright I have to ask this as I am getting sick of my ghetto *** intake set-up, Can I use a Place Racing CAI without modding anything? If not then I guess I am going to be looking for a 2000 maxima air intake box and all the other stuff.
I tried it w/ my PRCAI clone and it was a no go. too short. I had to set it up as a short ram and that is how it's been ever since. waiting on my 2000 intake to get here so I can start fabbing that to fit, remove this short ram and set it on fire.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by 2pb
I tried it w/ my PRCAI clone and it was a no go. too short. I had to set it up as a short ram and that is how it's been ever since. waiting on my 2000 intake to get here so I can start fabbing that to fit, remove this short ram and set it on fire.
damn well that idea goes out the window then, gotta find me a stock air box then. If you could post pictures and tell me how you do your install when you get it and install it on your car so I have some clue what I need to do to make it fit that would be great.

Thanks and good luck!
Old 01-15-2008, 06:46 PM
oem ftw!

Thanks man, I will definitely keep my progress updated in this thread once I get it.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by 2pb
say it ain't so man, I hope it's repairable. There aren't many of us '95 pebble beige auto's around here.
It's officially not totalled. Insurance adjuster told me they normally just total cars "this old", but the condition of my car impressed him so much he gave it the highest rating possible in every category for his inspection of it.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:41 AM

It's officially not totalled. Insurance adjuster told me they normally just total cars "this old", but the condition of my car impressed him so much he gave it the highest rating possible in every category for his inspection of it.
damn, so what needs replacing? I am glad to hear it is still alive.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Bacon Lover

damn, so what needs replacing? I am glad to hear it is still alive.
Not sure yet. Passenger side fender is GONE, so that's definitely being replaced. The bracket for that door is also going to need replaced, the door may need replaced, not sure, but it will definitely need repainted. The steering rack may need replaced, if so, I may tell them to replace it with the '97+ SE one or whatever (assuming it's a direct replacement), passenger side strut and possibly spring. Maybe control arms, dunno. Front bumper and all of my lights looked ok. Rim may need replaced also, not sure if the tire was damaged.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:02 PM

Not sure yet. Passenger side fender is GONE, so that's definitely being replaced. The bracket for that door is also going to need replaced, the door may need replaced, not sure, but it will definitely need repainted. The steering rack may need replaced, if so, I may tell them to replace it with the '97+ SE one or whatever (assuming it's a direct replacement), passenger side strut and possibly spring. Maybe control arms, dunno. Front bumper and all of my lights looked ok. Rim may need replaced also, not sure if the tire was damaged.
Well it could be a lot worse, and atleast you dont have to start completely all over again from scratch.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:46 PM
oem ftw!

great news. Here's to coming back new and improved and making lemonade from lemons (I read the steering rack thread).
Old 01-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Bacon Lover

Well it could be a lot worse, and atleast you dont have to start completely all over again from scratch.
Yeah, well, had I had to "start from scratch" not too much would have been taken care of, and I might have had a 5-speed. But, there's PLENTY of good to keeping this car
Originally Posted by 2pb
great news. Here's to coming back new and improved and making lemonade from lemons (I read the steering rack thread).
Ah, yes, the steering rack That's assuming it's getting replaced. I hope it is
Old 01-20-2008, 06:37 PM

Yeah, well, had I had to "start from scratch" not too much would have been taken care of, and I might have had a 5-speed. But, there's PLENTY of good to keeping this car

Ah, yes, the steering rack That's assuming it's getting replaced. I hope it is
Good good man. I will have a mevi this week so . If there wasnt so much to do i would have went with the 00vi.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:08 PM
oem ftw!

Alright, it's been a couple of weeks but, after a couple of cuts and lots of swearing, I finally have an update on my progress w/ the 5th gen stock intake on my 4th gen. As per Blackmax1924's request, I'll do my best here to outline exactly what I did to make this work. I'll have to apologize for the picture quality, as I did not have my camera. Had to take these out with my motorola Q (it sucks).

As JamesNH already told us, the part of the 5th gen MAF that bolts onto the airbox is wider than our 4th gen MAF. So, the first thing you'll want to do is remove your MAF from your car, rest it on your new airbox, and draw some marks for new holes. I came up with this, highlighted after the fact to make things easier to see:

After I drilled the holes (the bit that I used was a 13/64" irwin bit), I also hacked off that small part near the opening, because it overlapped the opening of the 4th gen MAF by a few MM. probably wouldn't make much of a difference, but I did it anyway:

After you mangle the metal bracket on the inside of the airbox, be sure to save the 4 washers/spacers/whatever you want to call them, pictured to the left of the bracket:

You're probably wondering "what about the huge holes that are left from the old MAF bracket?!" Well, you already know. JB kwik! To do this, I cut some small pieces of electrical tape, put them on the inside of the airbox, then filled up the holes with the JB kwik. In about 20 minutes, it was rock solid:

The way that I bolted the MAF in, I used the nuts & bolts that came with my BOMZ intake, combined with those metal washers that I salvaged from the stock airbox (I didn't have any washers of an appropriate side to put on the inside of the box). I don't know what the dimensions of these nuts & bolts are, but you can definitely improvise and find a working combination at Lowes. Before bolting it in, I put the rubber gasket in place that came with my bomz maf adapter. Any gasket here will work, but this is what I had on hand and it was already cut to fit. After lining up the gasket, you'll want to carefully put the MAF in place so as to avoid shifting the gasket underneath. Then, feed the bolt through the hole, slide the metal washer over the bolt, and then thread the nut onto the bolt. Be sure to have the flat part of the washer facing the airbox before you tighten the bolt. From the inside of the airbox, it should look like this:

The attachment is rock solid. The MAF is going nowhere. Those washers from the 5th gen airbox, combined with the nuts&bolts work great to hold the MAF in place

Last edited by CRiME; 01-30-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:09 PM
oem ftw!

Once it's all bolted up, you should have something like this:

Old 01-30-2008, 07:09 PM
oem ftw!

That's it for the airbox. Now If you went the same route that I did for the IACV, you then have to find a spot on the 5th gen midpipe to connect the IACV adapter. To accomplish this, the best thing that I could find at lowes was a 5/8" by 1/2" "Flare to MIP elbow", part number A-372, made by "Watts". I found it in the plumbing section. I was hoping to find something that was both wide enough and didn't have threads on the part where the hose would attach, but, no good. It worked perfectly though:

I chose this spot on the midpipe, drilled the hole and screwed the fitting in. Note the JBKWIK around the top for good measure :

Old 01-30-2008, 07:10 PM
oem ftw!

After the fitting was secured, I then attached the midpipe to the maf/airbox, to make things easier to install in the car as one piece:

Note: ****BE SURE TO CUT OFF THE PART THAT IS CIRCLED IN GREEN!**** If you leave it on, it will knock against the battery, prevent things from lining up and lead to a significant amount backaches, headaches and swears:

Old 01-30-2008, 07:10 PM
oem ftw!

From this point on, it’s cake. Go to your car and attach everything. It all fits in the 4th gen like a glove. In fact, I haven’t even gotten around to bolting the airbox down to the car yet, but it sits so well that it does not rattle or budge. I do plan to bolt it to the strut tower area though, for peace of mind. I plan to make up some kind of bracket that connects it to the drop resistor area. Here's the finished product. Not bad, right? First drive impressions: I didn't realize how much low end power that I was losing with the short ram on my auto... I knew that the loss was there but, after I installed this, it made it clear how large of a performance hit the short ram & straight midpipe causes on the auto. If you did the 00vi swap in your 4th gen, the 5th gen intake combined with a K&N (or other filter of your choice) is definitely the way to go!

Here you can see how my IACV is now connected. Since the attachment that I bought was threaded, I had to screw the hose onto the fitting, instead of pushing it on. Once I did that, I put a clamp over it and moderately tightened it. Clamped the other end of the hose to my IACV and everything was good to go! I still haven't permanently attached my IACV, ever since the 00VI swap . It just kind of floats there. No problems at all though, but I do plan to bolt it onto the firewall.

Well, that about does it. Hope this can help anyone who wants to do this!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:19 PM
dot dot dot ...

Very NICE work, creative, and I really like your attention to detail.

Looks like something I have been planning for my LRMAF/5G airbox.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:13 PM

Really nice. You should just put the 5th gen IACV in so you don't have to mount it to the firewall.

Quick Reply: Where to buy elbows? Also, 00VI Intake Ideas