4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

For Interested In LED Tails:

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:57 AM
Former Vendor

For Interested In LED Tails:

Since I have a couple of days until my parts arrive I decided to try and get some numbers going. I need to know what you guys want. Would you rather have boards or complete retro-fits? Do you want just running/brake lights, running/brake lights and signals, running/brake lights with signals and reverse, or any other combination? Heres what I think so far:

1)These are not going to be cheap. I'm estimating them to be in the $400-500 range for the 4 board, 2 pwm, 254 LED running/brake set.

2)Installation should be very straight forward on the running/brake and reverse light boards. The turn signals will require modifying the housings.

So give me your thoughts and suggestions.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Addicted to the Org

Depending on the final outcome, I might would be interested. I would want them to be installed by yourself. I'm in the market now for Red/Clears. I have the Gen 2 Led currently, but want some red/clear led!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 08:03 AM
The Golden One

I would like just the brake and running light to be LED (three or four rows). So no turn signal and no reverse. And a board is just fine, if you can include instructions on how to put the board into the tail light I'm sure I can handle the rest myself.

Show me pics of lights you have already done and I will give you a deposit for say, $50, on friday so you know I'm one of the people who are definitely interested.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by maximized98
Depending on the final outcome, I might would be interested. I would want them to be installed by yourself. I'm in the market now for Red/Clears. I have the Gen 2 Led currently, but want some red/clear led!!!!!!!!!
one of the great things about this is that the full set will replace all the reflectors, making you oem tails red/clear.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:19 AM

I want the running light and brake like set already installed, how much would that run me?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:31 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by IlyaK
I would like just the brake and running light to be LED (three or four rows). So no turn signal and no reverse. And a board is just fine, if you can include instructions on how to put the board into the tail light I'm sure I can handle the rest myself.

Show me pics of lights you have already done and I will give you a deposit for say, $50, on friday so you know I'm one of the people who are definitely interested.
the current design is 6 rows at its tallest point. i designed them for even light dispersion rather than the appearance of rows. after these are done i might consider making a "classic Kevlo" version with 4 rows.

pics of the prototypes should be ready in about a week. i will not be taking any deposits until they are ready for production.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:35 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 5StarMaxima
I want the running light and brake like set already installed, how much would that run me?
final cost of the set + list -%10 of oem lights (unless you supply your own) + labor ($50-100 depending on how difficult it ends up being)
Old 10-30-2007, 11:56 AM
The Golden One

Sounds good. Let me know when the pics are up. I might pay you more for a special request of 4 rows if I don't like the 6. All I know is I want to be able to tell (from a distance - like 40ft) the rows of LED's. I think with 6, from a distance, you won't be able to tell there are rows there until you get much closer.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Former Vendor

you won't be able to, by design. the leds are equally spaced vertically and horizontally. i designed them the way i thought looked best, but i was expecting some people to want the rows.

what i think i'm going to do is focus on getting about 10 of the running/brake sets made. the reverse lights should be very easy so i'll do a few of those next. there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in the signals, and they're the most difficult, so i'll do those last. after i have a good amount made i'll start doing the retrofit sets and maybe work on another design.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:37 PM

post pics and the outcomes cuz im pretty interested.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:45 PM

pix of prototype?
Old 10-30-2007, 04:01 PM

i am very interested but i want to see some pictures of the boards and etc.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Former Vendor

the pics will be available when the prototypes are finished. the idea of this thread is to figure out how you guys want them to be offered, so i can start working on some numbers.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:52 PM

let me know when ur ready to sell them i definately want them
Old 10-30-2007, 04:58 PM

let me know a final price when u come up with it
Old 10-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
the pics will be available when the prototypes are finished. the idea of this thread is to figure out how you guys want them to be offered, so i can start working on some numbers.
Keep in mind that if 10 people say they will buy LED tailights from you, only 2 or 3 will come through and pay. When it comes time to fork up $300+, people vanish into thin air...... Happens every time here on the org.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Former Vendor

i'm aware that might be the case. this just seemed like a great opportunity for me to really throw my hat in the maxima game by developing something that was in demand and unavailable. i was looking for a way to get recognition for my company, and this seems like the way to do it. i will be building x amount of sets whether i have pre-orders or not. if they sit unsold for a while thats fine, eventually they will sell. it has also been a fun project, and i haven't even got to the hands on part yet.

as far as the pics go, look for them this time next week. i can't set a price yet because i am still working on getting some custom made components rather than just using what is currently available. i am trying very hard to make a high-quality plug and play kit.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:37 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Keep in mind that if 10 people say they will buy LED tailights from you, only 2 or 3 will come through and pay. When it comes time to fork up $300+, people vanish into thin air...... Happens every time here on the org.
So true. I however just shelled out $710 for a set of retro-fitted TL projectors. I now realize that, "You have to pay to play."

I don't really care how much these end up costing as long as it's not like $600 or something. If it's like $300-375 I'll definitely be interested and buying a set.

i'm aware that might be the case. this just seemed like a great opportunity for me to really throw my hat in the maxima game by developing something that was in demand and unavailable. i was looking for a way to get recognition for my company, and this seems like the way to do it. i will be building x amount of sets whether i have pre-orders or not. if they sit unsold for a while thats fine, eventually they will sell. it has also been a fun project, and i haven't even got to the hands on part yet.

as far as the pics go, look for them this time next week. i can't set a price yet because i am still working on getting some custom made components rather than just using what is currently available. i am trying very hard to make a high-quality plug and play kit.
I'm starting to like you man. .
Old 10-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Former Vendor

this will definately be a "pay to play" mod. theres ~$100 worth of LED's going into the running/brake light set alone. i am going to try and make it as affordable as possible, but i know it will still be more than a lot of people are willing to pay.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Sold

Since I have a couple of days until my parts arrive I decided to try and get some numbers going. I need to know what you guys want. Would you rather have boards or complete retro-fits? Do you want just running/brake lights, running/brake lights and signals, running/brake lights with signals and reverse, or any other combination? Heres what I think so far:

1)These are not going to be cheap. I'm estimating them to be in the $400-500 range for the 4 board, 2 pwm, 254 LED running/brake set.

2)Installation should be very straight forward on the running/brake and reverse light boards. The turn signals will require modifying the housings.

So give me your thoughts and suggestions.
In response to your questions:
1)I would rather have a board that I can install myself. I paid for red/clears a long time ago and if I'm gonna do this mod, I would rather have the red/clear than an oe taillight.
2)Not feeling the reverse lights. For me it's a question of are they really worth the extra expense? Cool yes... cost vs. benefit? No.
3) with "modifying the housing" for the signal lights, does that then remove the little red light in the lower corner that I believe is required for DOT regulations?

The above is soley my opinion. Still intently watching your posts.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Former Vendor

i have decided that my first offerings will be the running/brake light set for the diy installer. what i was saying about the oem lights was the complete set would replace the reflectors that make the oem lights orange. i'm assuming you have the ce red/clears, which actually are oem lights but with a clear reflector replacing the oe orange reflector. because there doesn't seem to be as much interest in the reverse/signal lights they will be offered as upgrades. the turn signals have been put on the far back burner because i'm not sure i will be able to make them look good. i will not be removing the little red light, but i will be looking for a 194 wedge led that can match the output of the running lights to include with the kit. i appreciate your opinion and feel we are on the same page. the idea is definitely evolving as i get further along. keep the suggestions coming guys!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:26 PM
I hate being slow

I'm definitely looking for a set. I've expressed my interest i would like a full complete set reverse signal the whole shabangabang. by the time your finished with the designs i will have the money since i only have to pay for a cell phone and gas i ain't trippin
Old 10-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Ridin' Spinnaz

Are you still gonna do a write-up for them?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:14 AM
Schnell kaputt

I have no problem throwing money at this. Just the brake lights done is fine I'm not sure how many cars today have the signals and reverse using leds as well. I prefer to have them installed into the housings already don't care nor do I have the time to **** around. Will definitely pay more for quality work
Old 10-31-2007, 05:49 AM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by ZachsMax
I was wondering this too. Will there still be a write-up?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:25 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ZachsMax
Originally Posted by IlyaK
I was wondering this too. Will there still be a write-up?
yes, i will continue the thread that i started. the only thing that has changed is that there will be no information on building the circuit boards other than that in the links. as soon as i get all my parts in i will pick it up with assembling the boards.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:20 PM

def on board

i been wanting the led for some time now. if you do the running/break for the diy how much would that run i want mines in the smoked red/clears tails i see on ebay. even thinkin bout getting these led 20row fog lights for the front
Old 11-05-2007, 01:36 PM

Why is this mod so expensive, is a certain type of LED required? Circuit boards are relatively inexpensive..?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by eclypsecl
Why is this mod so expensive, is a certain type of LED required? Circuit boards are relatively inexpensive..?
All of it is costly. the boards are not cheap to make. the leds are not cheap then the time to do it. thats not cheap either.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by eclypsecl
theres a few reasons why it is so expensive. there are multiple circuit boards which add up, plus a large number of superflux (top-of-the-line) leds. theres also a voltage regulator/pwm cicuit. as well as the cost to make it a pnp kit.it can be done cheaper, but my goal is to develope a top-quality pnp kit.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Stock Airbox Supporter #3

do you think that these caddy signal and reverse LED boards might be retro-able into our housings?

Old 11-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Former Vendor

i'm not sure if retroing led boards works. this is my first experience with leds.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:36 PM

its possible but how much is the catera tails going to cost to buy? then you have to theose and you max tails apart. then make them fit. Still think its worth it? If so go for it.