All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

00VI and the swirl valves.. Did you or not

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

00VI and the swirl valves.. Did you or not

First and foremost i want to thank Joe (98seBlackMax) for the lovely job on the 00vi. He did such a nice job the VI looks like it is meant to be there very very clean. I will try to get the pictures up later.

We did not remove the swirl valves and we have them functioning very well reason is that we did want to have jb weld in intake although its been proven tough enough I just dint want to have to deal with it and the car runs stronger than ever.
I have a check engine light for o2 sensor that i have to replace that wasn't there before the swap and nothing so far for the IACV.

Anyway with the guys that ran their cars without the swirls did you notice a difference power because with my car it pulls hard with that swap and i am pretty impressed. Just post up and tell me your views..
Old 10-15-2007, 03:15 PM

Well unfortunately, we have the issue of not being able to tell what the differences are. I took out my swirl valves but I don't have any comparison with the swirl valves in. The only real way that this could be determined is dyno'ing the exact same car with and without swirl valves. Yeah, the 00VI gives a power increase so you're probably just feeling that. Sorry for the non-definitive answer but if you really want to know, run the dyno, then take out your LIM again, lose the swirl valves, and dyno again.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:47 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by XAugusta MoonX
Well unfortunately, we have the issue of not being able to tell what the differences are. I took out my swirl valves but I don't have any comparison with the swirl valves in. The only real way that this could be determined is dyno'ing the exact same car with and without swirl valves. Yeah, the 00VI gives a power increase so you're probably just feeling that. Sorry for the non-definitive answer but if you really want to know, run the dyno, then take out your LIM again, lose the swirl valves, and dyno again.

no idea how the car would feel with the swirl valves in, but it feels great without them, i know that much

I didn't trust the JB weld either, I took my LIM to a place that did aluminum welding (damn near impossible to find around here) and had them fill the holes up.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Old Maxima Legend

^ i also did the same as 2pb, I had the holes welded.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=373884&page=2
Old 10-19-2007, 10:40 PM

Jb weld for me with 14psi of pressure and no problems after 20,000 miles
Old 10-20-2007, 08:20 AM

I think that kind of proves that JB weld will hold...just out of curiosity, how much did you pay to get them welded?

No swirls here, I am using the 4th gen LIM and drilling it.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:19 AM
oem ftw!

It took them about 15 minutes, but they charged me 80 bucks!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:51 AM

5$ jb weld!
Old 10-21-2007, 01:02 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by 95turbo gxe
5$ jb weld!
I know, hindsight is 20/20! They did a pretty crappy job, too. Looks like someone just took some small pieces of chewed up gum and slapped it over the holes
Old 12-08-2007, 01:53 AM
Old Maxima Legend

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
I think that kind of proves that JB weld will hold...just out of curiosity, how much did you pay to get them welded?

No swirls here, I am using the 4th gen LIM and drilling it.
about 80 dollars NZD so thats around 62 dollars USD
Old 12-09-2007, 06:42 PM

OK, interesting this thread from maxima92se happened to get bumped..........

Because he recently blew an oil-pump from a missed shift, and when I did the engine swap I took care of the swirl valves. Here's the deal with JB-weld.

DO NOT USE IT!!

From racing motocross and trail-riding in middleboro (Land of rocks and stumps) in addition to every two years having to fix my dads cleaning tool, I know ALL about JB-weld (and the stickwelds = bomb and how long it does and doesn't last. In fact, I could probably fabricate an entire car from the stuff!! But anyways, enough about my expertise in JBweld........ The clutch release lever tab on my blaster needed to be re-done every two weeks, my dad's extractor wand every two years.

You DO NOT want to fill your swirl-valves with JB-weld. After several years, or enough time at harsh vibrations + chemicals, it WILL fail. It WILL crack & brake & crumble. TRUST ME.

Instead, do what I just did. Pop the stock seals out. Find a roundhead screw (The flusher the head the better) that is a nice fit inside the hole, but with a head that can't ever get sucked in. Clean everything with brake cleaner. Goop the screw all over with permetex grey. Insert it in the hole. Goop the top of the screwhead in permetex grey. Pop the seals back on, sandwhiching the screws in place.

Guaranteed to not leak And more importantly NEVER get sucked into engine. Physically impossible!!! Now, 'maybe' it 'might' pop out @ 15psi of boost, so basically. You're all good.

But weld it or do my method. DO NOT use JB-weld.

Last edited by KRRZ350; 12-09-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:27 PM

Oooh, good info. Thanks for the advice. Althought Im using a 4t gen LIM, its helpful!
Old 12-09-2007, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
OK, interesting this thread from maxima92se happened to get bumped..........

Because he recently blew an oil-pump from a missed shift, and when I did the engine swap I took care of the swirl valves. Here's the deal with JB-weld.

DO NOT USE IT!!

From racing motocross and trail-riding in middleboro (Land of rocks and stumps) in addition to every two years having to fix my dads cleaning tool, I know ALL about JB-weld (and the stickwelds = bomb and how long it does and doesn't last. In fact, I could probably fabricate an entire car from the stuff!! But anyways, enough about my expertise in JBweld........ The clutch release lever tab on my blaster needed to be re-done every two weeks, my dad's extractor wand every two years.

You DO NOT want to fill your swirl-valves with JB-weld. After several years, or enough time at harsh vibrations + chemicals, it WILL fail. It WILL crack & brake & crumble. TRUST ME.

Instead, do what I just did. Pop the stock seals out. Find a roundhead screw (The flusher the head the better) that is a nice fit inside the hole, but with a head that can't ever get sucked in. Clean everything with brake cleaner. Goop the screw all over with permetex grey. Insert it in the hole. Goop the top of the screwhead in permetex grey. Pop the seals back on, sandwhiching the screws in place.

Guaranteed to not leak And more importantly NEVER get sucked into engine. Physically impossible!!! Now, 'maybe' it 'might' pop out @ 15psi of boost, so basically. You're all good.

But weld it or do my method. DO NOT use JB-weld.
where did you put this screw? where the shaft 1st enters the LIM or in each whole, in each runner?
Old 12-09-2007, 09:37 PM
nycnissans

well, i actually had the swirl valves b4 and had them removed by a maxima gearhead buddy of mine.............he removed swirl valves and ported and polished the LIM and UIM also added a pathfinder TB and whatever...............
after having everything put on I could feel the difference immediately and this was when i was N/A
The car pulled crazy hard throughout........right from low rpms to redline, it was deff. worth it
Old 12-09-2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by ghostmax301
where did you put this screw? where the shaft 1st enters the LIM or in each whole, in each runner?
Where the shaft's first enter. Airflow disruptions from the holes = negligable difference. The only real concern when eliminating the swirlvalves is completely plugging the holes at the end of the shaft so you don't get a vacuum leak.

Also, DO NOT FORGET to re-install the retainer screws for the butterfly rods! If once the rods are out you don't put those screws back in you'll have two mini vacuum leaks.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:40 PM

The secrets out. Thanks Kev!! the thing runs like a dream. Now to finish paying you clean the motor(cosmetically) and boost - lol. Ohh dont forget brakes.