General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: What problems has your tranny had?
Needed a complely rebuilt transmission
18.91%
Is suffering from bearing failure
16.36%
Is positively suffering from another failure, but no total rebuild needed
2.55%
Suspect problem (leak, noise, shavings)
21.09%
No problems
41.09%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

So how many here have or suspect 5 speed transmission problems on 4th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2001, 12:25 AM

So how many here have or suspect 5 speed transmission problems on 4th gen?

I went through and compiled a list so far for 4th gen's. This doesnt include 3rd gen's. For the failed differential bearings or possibly failed bearings (leaking driveshaft seals and/or freeplay) we have myself, chandos, riot^, Tri-lite, MaxedOut97SE, Frank on www.motorvate.ca Nealoc187 for input shaft bearings. We've also got Briguymax's tranny totally dying.

Another problem that seems to come up is the leaky position switches (that black round switch near the left base). I also suffer from this as well.
Old 10-20-2001, 12:41 AM

I thought medicsonic addressed you properly in the last thread on the same topic.

I for one have a 5sp and i don't tend to abuse it like some of us here.

I have no problems at all and i think you wouldn't too if you had kept of those 5000rpm launches.
Old 10-20-2001, 12:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have nothing but good things to say about my transmissions{I30 & Max}.
Two examples here, my 95 max 102K miles, it constantly get's pushed to the limit day in and day out, the transmission has worked perfectly from day one!

SC 98 I30T 5spd, 47K miles, this car was pushing about 300HP and I put the car in 2nd gear rather then 4th at about 90MPH, the transmission survived it with out insult, still to this day the tranny works perfectly.
Old 10-20-2001, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by d_98SE
I thought medicsonic addressed you properly in the last thread on the same topic.

I for one have a 5sp and i don't tend to abuse it like some of us here.

I have no problems at all and i think you wouldn't too if you had kept of those 5000rpm launches.
What's with the attitude? The last post was about ME and my experience. This one is about YOU. As you can see I made no mention of how bad I think nissan's cars are in this thread. I'm trying to see if I'm in the minority and that this car is indeed reliable as everybody claims it is. As for the launches (two of them by the way) if you knew anything about cars a you would notice that I did not ask 'who's clutch is burnt out'. And explain to me why ONE bearing in my tranny is bad yet all the other gears, bearings and synchros are perfect? The 5+ people I've gathered so far who have had bearing trouble not all of them abused their trannys.
So quit your b!itchin and either respond to the poll or dont say anything.
Old 10-20-2001, 10:27 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

mine's great except for the clutch chatter, but i don't really abuse either.
Old 10-20-2001, 02:18 PM

same here

Originally posted by NickStam
mine's great except for the clutch chatter, but i don't really abuse either.
I got used to it, but it chatters from 4th to 3rd, and did it since brand-new (to rule out my driving habits). The dealer told me it was totally normal, and I remember not having the desire to argue with them. There were various things that surprised me about my Maxima with 700 miles, all of which they told me was normal.

Anyhow, I did have the leak which was fixed by replacing that switch that turns on the back-up lamps. It was such a slow leak that after a week of being parked it'd have a spot about the size of a dime under the car. The only way I found it was by noticing a wet spot on the case. Gear oil is something like 90W. Also, the tranny whines when you are engaging the clutch, and it's done that since 20k.
Old 10-20-2001, 05:02 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I've had no problems what so ever. My car is nearly 6 years old and I'm on my stock clutch (73K miles so far). My clutch has never slipped on me once. I've had approximately 30 4000+rpm launches at the track so far and a few on the street. Unlike some people who race, I don't dump the clutch at launch. Instead I slip it just enough to take out the driveline shock and then I release it quickly. All my shifts are lift-throttle, but they are extremely fast. So fast in fact, that Russ thought I was powershifitng.

My only complaint is that it does randomly chatter on humid and cool mornings during the first 10 minutes.

Dave
Old 10-20-2001, 06:12 PM

Actually, I just brought my car in on friday to my nissan dealer, because of a loud ratcheting sound when my clutch is not depressed. When it is depressed the noise goes away. Nissan told me that I need to have my transsmission replaced. I have a 96 with 67,00 on it and I don't abuse my transmission. So, I don't know whats going on here. Either the nissan is having problems with these year transmissions or mine failed by pure chance. Luckily, when I bought my car at 50,000, I bought the extended warranty. An inspector fom the warranty company is going to see if my car applies for the warrantied work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Do you guys think it will be covered.
Old 10-20-2001, 07:25 PM

I don't seem to have any problems with mine.
Old 10-20-2001, 07:57 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by Cumalot
I don't seem to have any problems with mine.
Hmm, could it be that your automagic!?
Old 10-20-2001, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Hmm, could it be that your automagic!?

Oh.
Old 10-20-2001, 08:04 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by jmax1
Actually, I just brought my car in on friday to my nissan dealer, because of a loud ratcheting sound when my clutch is not depressed. When it is depressed the noise goes away. Nissan told me that I need to have my transsmission replaced. I have a 96 with 67,00 on it and I don't abuse my transmission. So, I don't know whats going on here. Either the nissan is having problems with these year transmissions or mine failed by pure chance. Luckily, when I bought my car at 50,000, I bought the extended warranty. An inspector fom the warranty company is going to see if my car applies for the warrantied work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Do you guys think it will be covered.
Jmax, you have the same thing happening that I did. Your input shaft bearing or bearings are going. You don't have to have your tranny replaced, but the bearings need to be. The bearing cost me $31.42, and the labor was about $600.

As far as abuse, it's no secret that I drive hard. Prior to having my tranny rebuilt I'd never drag raced my car, only road raced it. The autocrosses I've done were all AFTER the first signs of my bearings being shot, so they arent the cause. At the time of my first symptoms, I'd had the car approximately 10K miles, which for me is about 4 months. The car had 89K miles on it in January 2001, when I bought it from a middle aged father who's wife drove the car as her business car, as she did alot of traveling for her work. So unless 2 road races and 10K miles of my driving were the cause, they bearings were already on their way out. Every car I've ever owned has been 5 speed, and most of them have been raced, much more than I have raced my maxima so far, and none of them ever had a transmission failure of any kind. I have no doubt that hard driving accelerates transmission wear, but I've never heard of the other cars I've owned having transmission problems as frequently as I see people posting about them on this board. I won't say Nissan is to blame, but my feeling is that the transmissions in the 4th gen Maxima are NOT bulletproof, and are not as reliable as other cars that I've owned, given the amount of complaints about them I see on this board.

It is a rare day when I launch my car hard, autocrossing doesn't require it, and neither have the road races I've been involved in. The few stoplight drag races I've had CERTAINLY werent 5000RPM clutch drops like some people seem to think is the culprit here, I have NEVER EVER launched at more than 3K, and NEVER EVER dropped my clutch prior to my rebuild (first clutch drop was at my first drag race with the Max, 4 weeks ago). On the street I've used a 2.5K quick slip, never a drop. So at least in my case, high RPM clutch dropping was NOT the cause of the failure, unless the 35 year old mother of 2 who drove the car prior to me was guilty of that, and somehow I doubt that.
Old 10-20-2001, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187

Jmax, you have the same thing happening that I did. Your input shaft bearing or bearings are going. You don't have to have your tranny replaced, but the bearings need to be. The bearing cost me $31.42, and the labor was about $600.

As far as abuse, it's no secret that I drive hard. Prior to having my tranny rebuilt I'd never drag raced my car, only road raced it. The autocrosses I've done were all AFTER the first signs of my bearings being shot, so they arent the cause. At the time of my first symptoms, I'd had the car approximately 10K miles, which for me is about 4 months. The car had 89K miles on it in January 2001, when I bought it from a middle aged father who's wife drove the car as her business car, as she did alot of traveling for her work. So unless 2 road races and 10K miles of my driving were the cause, they bearings were already on their way out. Every car I've ever owned has been 5 speed, and most of them have been raced, much more than I have raced my maxima so far, and none of them ever had a transmission failure of any kind. I have no doubt that hard driving accelerates transmission wear, but I've never heard of the other cars I've owned having transmission problems as frequently as I see people posting about them on this board. I won't say Nissan is to blame, but my feeling is that the transmissions in the 4th gen Maxima are NOT bulletproof, and are not as reliable as other cars that I've owned, given the amount of complaints about them I see on this board.

It is a rare day when I launch my car hard, autocrossing doesn't require it, and neither have the road races I've been involved in. The few stoplight drag races I've had CERTAINLY werent 5000RPM clutch drops like some people seem to think is the culprit here, I have NEVER EVER launched at more than 3K, and NEVER EVER dropped my clutch prior to my rebuild (first clutch drop was at my first drag race with the Max, 4 weeks ago). On the street I've used a 2.5K quick slip, never a drop. So at least in my case, high RPM clutch dropping was NOT the cause of the failure, unless the 35 year old mother of 2 who drove the car prior to me was guilty of that, and somehow I doubt that.
Yeah I thought it was only the bearings too, after I read various threads with symptoms similar to mine. But, if it is under warranty, I might as well, get my transmission replaced. The question is, will the warranty cover it
Old 10-21-2001, 07:35 PM

Bearings gave up in mine, had new bearings put through the whole lot, none of the actuall gearing was damaged, got the new clutch and machined the flywheel. All this came to US$500.
Old 10-22-2001, 07:33 AM

Just to add........

My tranny is making some unwelcomed noises lately. I noticed the other night while driving under an underpass on the highway at about 80 mph with my windows down that there was a noticeable whine. I believe that my transmissions bearings are shot. And its because of a ****ty rebuild that I was subjected too. My Max is a little herky, jerky at lower speeds (especially in 1st gear) and makes a whining noise. I'm considering getting a new transmission, or at least a very lightly used one from a 99 Maxima. Does anyone know if the 5th gen tranny will work, and if so did Nissan make any improvements to the 5th gen tranny? (stronger synchros, or something?)
Old 10-22-2001, 07:57 AM

Re: So how many here have or suspect 5 speed transmission problems on 4th gen?

Originally posted by ericdwong
I went through and compiled a list so far for 4th gen's. This doesnt include 3rd gen's. For the failed differential bearings or possibly failed bearings (leaking driveshaft seals and/or freeplay) we have myself, chandos, riot^, Tri-lite, MaxedOut97SE, Frank on www.motorvate.ca, Nealoc187 for input shaft bearings. We've also got Briguymax's tranny totally dying.

Another problem that seems to come up is the leaky position switches (that black round switch near the left base). I also suffer from this as well.
My bearings went at 54K miles. '97 SE 5spd.
Old 10-22-2001, 12:31 PM
pmg

'97 5-speed. 90,000 miles. Had to fix leaking trans position sensor about 5k ago. For the last 30k miles it "clunks" when shifting into 3rd between 2000 and 4000 rpm. I'm not sure what this means. It hasn't gotten any worse though.
- Jeremy
Old 10-22-2001, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by pmg
'97 5-speed. 90,000 miles. Had to fix leaking trans position sensor about 5k ago. For the last 30k miles it "clunks" when shifting into 3rd between 2000 and 4000 rpm. I'm not sure what this means. It hasn't gotten any worse though.
- Jeremy
Jeremy- how did you fix the leaky positional sensor? I plan to RTV the thing in when I get done rebuilding my transmission.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:18 PM

110,000 miles one my 98. Original clutch and tranny. Clutch feels a bit grunchy(?) now. I guess its coming close to the end of its life.

One question: should guys having tranny trouble who have NOS or SCs really be included?? The car wasn't built with those intensive mods in mind.

DW
Old 10-22-2001, 03:58 PM
MaxedOut97SE

My bearings went out at 64k miles, which is ridiculous.

Old 10-22-2001, 04:45 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Anyone else notice that the majority of these Maximas are 97+? There are a few 96s also. I'm almost wondering if Nissan put out a bad batch of trannies in the later 96s and earlier 97s.

Dave
Old 10-22-2001, 04:48 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Another question:

Those of you that have had problems, do you get excessive wheelhop on launches on and off the track? If you do, how long do you ride out the hop? Wheelhop is hell on all parts of the tranny, especially differentials, bearings, CVs and axles.

I never get wheelhop, but I read about tons of owners that do.

Dave
Old 10-22-2001, 05:30 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

i am disguisted at Nissan reading this thread!

well, i drive an automagic

anyways, that is pretty f-d up that people are seeing problems before reaching 100k miles or so. Most 3rd gen Maximas have auto tranny problems, mine died at 86k miles, others have seen it earlier. While my 4th gen tranny is 10X smoother then my 3rd gen auto, i am very weary and scared it might crap out. I drive this car extra careful and haven't pushed it to redline more than 5 times so far, this was just for kicks or spirited driving/racing. Still, it shifts smooth, just a kick from 1st - 2nd.
Now the 5 speeds.... I originally didn't mind buying a 5 spd. I wasn't looking for one, I was looking for a good deal on a 97+, if a 5spd would happen to fall in the way, I'd take it, but it didn't so I got the auto. I plan on getting a 2nd car within a year, it may even be a 5spd maxima but reading stuff like this discourages me. I like to drive, the 5spd would primarily be for fun, meaning more spirited driving, and I always thought manual trannies are more durable in general then automagics. It would really suck if it's not true...

BTW, I remember SprintMax mentioning he got a new tranny
Old 10-22-2001, 08:24 PM

for some reason, i can not log on the motorvate website. what
are symtoms of worn bearings? i feel that my clutch is going bad
but now i am worried about the tranny. what should i look out for?
Old 10-22-2001, 08:29 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Speaking truthfully, this is the first time I've ever read about a inherent problem with Maxima 5 speed. I've been on this board for nearly 3 years and this is the first time anyone has posted something like this. No tranny is bulletproof, believe me. I know guys that have ripped a part Honda trannies, Supra TT trannies, F-Body trannies, you name it and they broke it. The hard truth is if you decide to race your car, expect things to break. That's just the way it goes. Some engines, trannies, etc breakdown quicker than others. www.alldata.com doesn't show any TSBs (technical service bulletins) for the 5 speed Max so I doubt this is a real common problem.

Dave
Old 10-22-2001, 09:28 PM
MaxedOut97SE

Nissan didn't do something right. I was in absolute shock when they told me it was my bearings. I never thought anything at all would go wrong with my car, especially the powertrain, which I thought was the most bulletproof part of my car. I'm over it now, this was 5 months ago, and I haven't had any other problems with the car. I think it was a manufacturers defect. Sucks, but cars break.

Old 10-22-2001, 10:01 PM

OK looks like I put a comma in after the .ca part in my original post. I have since edited it, so www.motorvate.ca should work.

Originally posted by Dave B
Speaking truthfully, this is the first time I've ever read about a inherent problem with Maxima 5 speed. I've been on this board for nearly 3 years and this is the first time anyone has posted something like this. No tranny is bulletproof, believe me. I know guys that have ripped a part Honda trannies, Supra TT trannies, F-Body trannies, you name it and they broke it. The hard truth is if you decide to race your car, expect things to break. That's just the way it goes. Some engines, trannies, etc breakdown quicker than others. www.alldata.com doesn't show any TSBs (technical service bulletins) for the 5 speed Max so I doubt this is a real common problem.
Heres my take on this one. First- what is the percentage of sticks to autos? Even on this "enthusiast" forum, most the cars here are autos. Second, until these recent threads started about the bearing failures in the trannys, most of the worn bearings were dismissed as just a leaky seal. Its only until the transmission was opened up (typically after the 3rd seal change) is when the bearing failure is discovered.

So, this makes me think- how many people with 5 speeds who arent car enthusiasts are blindly driving around with blown bearings? Transmission gear oil isnt thin and wont run like motor oil does. It will stick and remain stuck on the transmission without actually dripping for a while. I know this from when my gear position switch was leaking. If you're the type of person (the average US driver) who never looks under their car, it will be no surprise if the bearings go unnoticed. I'm an enthusiast with mechanical skills and even I didnt know I had bearing problems until I cracked the tranny case. The reason i think there are no TSB's out on this is beacuse this isnt obvious like a blown headgasket problem would be.

Just look, from this informal poll alone, almost 50% of the M/T transmissions here on this forum alone have had serious failure or have suspect problems. Even if it was 10% thats still too high of a failure rate. Its happening on very young cars too. Most the cars with problems are at 60,000 or so. And this also affects many different drivers, from all regions of North America, Canada included so its not "something in the water" either.
Old 10-23-2001, 06:13 AM
pmg

I was going to try to fix it myself, but I had the dealer order a new one and fix it for about $80 I think.

- Jeremy

Jeremy- how did you fix the leaky positional sensor? I plan to RTV the thing in when I get done rebuilding my transmission.
Old 10-23-2001, 06:15 AM

I have wheelhop. I've only done it like twice. It's very bad. I could feel its so severe I gotta check my dental work afterwards. I could imagine what a strain it is on the tranny.

How come you don't have wheelhop?? My guess would be:

1) new racing motor mounts
2) 16" wheels. The lower profile of 17s and above would probably make the wheelhop issue worse. My 17s really hurt when it happens.

DW

Another question:

Those of you that have had problems, do you get excessive wheelhop on launches on and off the track? If you do, how long do you ride out the hop? Wheelhop is hell on all parts of the tranny, especially differentials, bearings, CVs and axles.

Dave
Old 10-23-2001, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
I have wheelhop.
Quick question: can you guys tell me what wheelhop is/feels like? I think I have an idea but what are you guys referring to when you say that?

Thanks for helping out one of the 'slower' members

IndyMax77
Old 10-23-2001, 06:56 AM

Fairly reasonable assesment. So tell me, how can you tell that a bearing is about to fail on your tranny?? I changed my tranny oil to Redline MT-90 at 30K miles. My mechanic did it for me. He noticed nothing. No leak or whatever. Then, at 100K miles, I changed the MT-90 again, this time doing it myself. Still noticed nothing. The old oil that I dropped was still smooth and had no metal parts or any gritty feeling in it. The only thing that had changed was the color. Instead of the pinky-red clear of the new, it was like a greyish brown. It felt just like the new stuff, too. I know that I really didn't need to change the MT-90 again at 100K miles, I just want my car to last a really long time.

DW

OK looks like I put a comma in after the .ca part in my original post. I have since edited it, so www.motorvate.ca should work.

Heres my take on this one. First- what is the percentage of sticks to autos? Even on this "enthusiast" forum, most the cars here are autos. Second, until these recent threads started about the bearing failures in the trannys, most of the worn bearings were dismissed as just a leaky seal. Its only until the transmission was opened up (typically after the 3rd seal change) is when the bearing failure is discovered.

So, this makes me think- how many people with 5 speeds who arent car enthusiasts are blindly driving around with blown bearings? Transmission gear oil isnt thin and wont run like motor oil does. It will stick and remain stuck on the transmission without actually dripping for a while. I know this from when my gear position switch was leaking. If you're the type of person (the average US driver) who never looks under their car, it will be no surprise if the bearings go unnoticed. I'm an enthusiast with mechanical skills and even I didnt know I had bearing problems until I cracked the tranny case. The reason i think there are no TSB's out on this is beacuse this isnt obvious like a blown headgasket problem would be.

Just look, from this informal poll alone, almost 50% of the M/T transmissions here on this forum alone have had serious failure or have suspect problems. Even if it was 10% thats still too high of a failure rate. Its happening on very young cars too. Most the cars with problems are at 60,000 or so. And this also affects many different drivers, from all regions of North America, Canada included so its not "something in the water" either.
Old 10-23-2001, 08:29 AM

Another question:

Yes I will admit I do get a good amount of wheel hop. Since I discovered my torn motor mount I'm sure that was part of the culprit. While this *may* explain part of my bearing failure, unless everybody else here drives like I do this does not explain their failures as well. However, I checked the freeplay of my ball joints, the tie rods, the wheel bearings and the CV axles and there is no play that I could detect before I pulled my transmission cause I was looking for signs that the tranny was gonna blow up since I was going to go in there anyway.
Old 10-23-2001, 08:32 AM

I have wheelhop. I've only done it like twice. It's very bad. I could feel its so severe I gotta check my dental work afterwards. I could imagine what a strain it is on the tranny.

2) 16" wheels. The lower profile of 17s and above would probably make the wheelhop issue worse. My 17s really hurt when it happens.
Yes, wheel hop is bad. Its been so bad sometimes that it would jar my ashtray loose, (but that wasnt that tight anyway)... Ususally when I get wheel hop I will let off as soon as possible.

Dave correct me if I'm wrong but I do not think he has the PR motor mounts. I on the other hand have them on the way to install when/if I ever get this car back together and on the road. It might be because of his stiffened suspension (i'm running stock SE)...

The profile of the tire should not have anything to do with wheel hop. My mom's 98 camry v6 auto has 15" wheels (steel) and even it suffers wheel hop. Front wheel drive cars with soft motor mounts have a tendency to hop. I'm really looking forwards to a car with no wheel hop once I put in the PR motor mounts. Hopefully vibration will be tolerable...
Old 10-23-2001, 09:16 AM

I had a stock SE, too. At 100K miles I upped the suspension to H&R/Toks. I think the wheel has alot to do with wheel hop. Basically, any part of the front suspension will influence wheel hop. When I have my 15s on for winter, I can rev the engine way higher when engaging the clutch in 1st and still not get wheel hop. My 15s enable my car to launch way better than my 17s do. I can probably still get wheel hop with 15s, but its alot harder to make happen.

You ever notice on the dragstip how the wheels on the car delivering the power to the ground are usually smaller, with way more rubber than steel??

Not for nothing Eric, but it sounds like you get your wheels hopping alot. Gotta have those power launches huh?? Well, perhaps that could have influenced the breakdown of your tranny?? If you can't live without hard launches, those motor mounts should have been the 1st mod on your list

DW

Yes, wheel hop is bad. Its been so bad sometimes that it would jar my ashtray loose, (but that wasnt that tight anyway)... Ususally when I get wheel hop I will let off as soon as possible.

Dave correct me if I'm wrong but I do not think he has the PR motor mounts. I on the other hand have them on the way to install when/if I ever get this car back together and on the road. It might be because of his stiffened suspension (i'm running stock SE)...

The profile of the tire should not have anything to do with wheel hop. My mom's 98 camry v6 auto has 15" wheels (steel) and even it suffers wheel hop. Front wheel drive cars with soft motor mounts have a tendency to hop. I'm really looking forwards to a car with no wheel hop once I put in the PR motor mounts. Hopefully vibration will be tolerable...
Old 10-23-2001, 11:36 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

DW

The only time I've gotten a hint of wheelhop is at the track when I try to clean off my tires right before I stage. This also happens to be the only time I "dump" the clutch (in order to spin the tires without going forward). On a launch at the track or on the street results in some spin with both tires spinning and no hop. I rev up to 4000-4400rpms and release the clutch to right before it catches. Once the "go' light comes up, I slowly slip the clutch out about 1" while feeding it gas, and then I release the clutch quickly (not dumping it) and bury the gas. I think it is very important for people to realize that you must remove the driveline slack (slipping the clutch a little) before go completely WOT. I believe much of the wheelhop people get is from poor management of the throttle and clutch.

I don't have upgraded mounts and I'm running V-rated 215/55R16s.

Larger and heavier wheels and low profile and wide tires are also more prone to hopping due to the lack of flex in the sidewall and the extra unsprung weight of the wheel/tire combo. Contrary to popular belief, large wheels and low profile tires are not good for drag racing and even ultimate handling. Go to a SCCA event and take a look at the better drivers on the course. Chances are they are running 15s and 16s with relatively taller 45-55 series tires.

Dave
Old 10-23-2001, 02:42 PM

bearings

I gotta replace my bearings next week.
Did you guys replacde ALL OF THE BEARING? or just the Input Axle Bearing or something like that?
Which ones were changes and how many of them? I know there are about 4 or 5 bearing in the tranny.
Old 01-05-2002, 09:18 PM

should i buy a 2nd used tranny or rebuild mine ???????? ive had a host of tranny problems , but i do drive my car hard
-pete
Old 01-07-2002, 08:50 AM

What I would do, is buy a used tranny and open it up, to inspect all of the parts. Make sure the filter magnet at the bottom isnt caked with metal shavings. I also have a feeling that my initial bearing failure with all its shavings probably damaged the rest of the gears and bearings. Grinding metal shard through the transmission is not good. Infact this maybe part of why my transmission blew up the second time.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:24 AM
Keven97SE

For what it's worth, my 97 5 speed tranny died at 70K miles. I do not nor have I ever abused the transmission. I have and continue to do aggressive launches from time to time, but have never dropped the clutch. I do not speed shift.

My transmission started to first show signs of trouble at ~50K miles. The tranny made a lot of noise with the car in neutral and the clutch engaged, a constant, muted roaring sound. This sound got progressively worse. Then, at ~60K miles, I found a tranny fluid leak. Fluid was getting all over under the bottom of the car. The source was where the driver's side driveshaft enters the tranny case. There was quite a bit of slop at that connection. I assume it was a failing bearing. I had to add ~1 qt of fluid at that time. I continued to monitor the fluid level, all the while the rate of fluid loss got worse and worse. The tranny finally totally locked up at ~70K. I was accelerating normally in 2nd gear when the car starting jerking violently. I went to shift into 3rd gear. When I put the clutch in, I heard a loud ping. When I went to engage the clutch (slowly), the tranny was completely locking up. I pulled over.

I believe what happened is the driver's side differential side bearing failed. The loss of transmission fluid then caused a bearing on the inpur shaft, already going bad prior to the fluid loss (judging by the roaring noise) to fail completely and lock up the tranny completely.

I chose not to rebuild the tranny but instead had a used VLSD canadian SE tranny installed. It was cheaper than a rebuild and was an upgrade.

I do not have much confidence in the 4th gen transmission. This should NOT have happened to my car. I replaced the fluid at LEAST every 30K miles (typically more like 20K), always used quality products like Redline MT90 or Amsoil 75W90, and never abused the tranny. I do not think I have a one-off lemon, either. Perhaps there was a bad "batch" of 5 speed transmissions in 97. Manufacturing defects often come in batches.

Ericdwong strikes me as someone who abuses his car to at least some degree, but I believe there is merit in his statement that there are problems with at least SOME 4th gen 5 speed transmissions. I do not, however, believe the entire car is junk. I am very pleased with my car overall, in spite of the tranny failure and the crappppppy paint. I got what I paid for. Some people bought Civics for what I paid ($19.9).

My 200 cents.

Old 01-07-2002, 09:43 AM

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with a '98. I take it to redline ALL the time and have had zero problems. I'm close to 70k miles now.

Quick Reply: So how many here have or suspect 5 speed transmission problems on 4th gen?