4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How much for the paint job on Shadows car??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 12:20 PM

How much for the paint job on Shadows car??

hey much do u think it costs to get that IS300 blue paint on a maxima?
Old 10-03-2001, 01:13 PM
Still kickin'

Re: How much for the paint job on Shadows car??

yeah, i was wantin to paint mine too, and that color is the s***, shadow you got to inform the public :)
Old 10-03-2001, 01:23 PM

seriously, that color is TIGHT!
...needs to please stop post whoring.

a lot.

I believe Shadow got hooked up on his paint job through a friend or through sponsors.. But usually, a paint job like that would be $$$$$$$$$$$...... and lots of it. Expect anywhere from 2-5 grand... Especially with the job he has done where every spot is covered leaving no trace of stock color, not inside the door jams, under the hood etc...

Re: Re: How much for the paint job on Shadows car??

he will answer shortly, it cost him $0, but he had a hookup, with all the shaving, bodykit, interior paint, spoiler, i think it ran around 5K
Old 10-03-2001, 01:59 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Re: Re: Re: How much for the paint job on Shadows car??

Originally posted by RedMax95
he will answer shortly, it cost him $0, but he had a hookup, with all the shaving, bodykit, interior paint, spoiler, i think it ran around 5K
Hi- Good custom paintjob alone typically cost $2500-$3500 for the size of our car.
Old 10-03-2001, 02:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: How much for the paint job on Shadows car??

she would know bc she is doing one
Old 10-03-2001, 02:19 PM

AHH!!!

i think im gonna pee in my pants!!!
Old 10-03-2001, 02:23 PM
Still kickin'

Re: AHH!!!

i think i'd rather buy a S/C
Old 10-03-2001, 02:25 PM

$6,000

I didn't get it for free. But I didn't pay that much. It would have been $6K for the paint and bodywork. The bodykit was another $1100, so it would have $7100 total at normal price. The $6K included the moldings, trunk keyhole, disassembling everything and reassembling the car. $2K is low for how much work goes into it. I've seen $2K color changes and I wasn't impressed. $3.5K is the bare minimum I would spend for a color change and even then, there would be a few flaws here and there. Around $4K+ is where the work is basically perfect. My paint looks factory. There is absolutely no way to tell the car didn't come that color from the factory. On some cars, you can tell it's been painted, on mine, you really can't.

My friend sprayed 6 coats of paint on the car followed by 3 coats of clear. Most shops spray like 2 coats and then 1 clearcoat, or 3/2. The more coats there are, the more expensive it is.
Old 10-03-2001, 02:58 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: $6,000

My friend sprayed 6 coats of paint on the car followed by 3 coats of clear. Most shops spray like 2 coats and then 1 clearcoat, or 3/2. The more coats there are, the more expensive it is.

==========================

yummy!
Old 10-03-2001, 03:16 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a new paint job, mine is getting pretty bad. Too bad I can't afford it.
Old 10-03-2001, 04:16 PM

Re: How much for the paint job on Shadows car??

she would know bc she is doing one
$7250 total for me

bodywork, parts/repairs, suspension work/alignment, Sarona bodykit, Stillen Bigbrake install, vb mod install, custom paintjob

expect to pay much more than that if you don't deal with the shop on a regular basis...
Old 10-03-2001, 04:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yikes! And I thought my S/C was expensive.

Btw, is it cheaper if you want to get your car repainted in the same color? i.e. repaint mine superblack instead of a custom color.
Old 10-03-2001, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
Yikes! And I thought my S/C was expensive.

Btw, is it cheaper if you want to get your car repainted in the same color? i.e. repaint mine superblack instead of a custom color.
nope...Superblack actually cost a bit more for the shop to apply b/c its harder to mix, compared to other Max colors.
Old 10-03-2001, 06:20 PM

Yikes! 7k? Heh, you can get like a new Ford Focus or something for that much! I remember the Blue Max from Fast and the Furious with the Viper blue paint, I remember hearing on his list of items of it being around $5200 for the paint and stuff...
Old 10-03-2001, 07:50 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Wow...can't wait to see it. What color? Give us a hint?

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl

$7250 total for me

bodywork, parts/repairs, suspension work/alignment, Sarona bodykit, Stillen Bigbrake install, vb mod install, custom paintjob

expect to pay much more than that if you don't deal with the shop on a regular basis...
Old 10-03-2001, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Wow...can't wait to see it. What color? Give us a hint?
PPG Jaguar Pacific Blue
Old 10-03-2001, 08:38 PM

well i tried to pass the info on correctly, sorry shadow, you made it sound like ya paid nothing, oh well, at least i tried!
Old 10-03-2001, 08:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How much for the paint job on Shadows car??

I practically paid nothing. Compared to what it would have cost. But I can't let my friend lose money painting my car. I do get stuff for free sometimes (NOS, AGX ) , but not the paint.

well i tried to pass the info on correctly, sorry shadow, you made it sound like ya paid nothing, oh well, at least i tried!
Old 10-03-2001, 08:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How much for the paint job on Shadows car??

do u wanna get me something for free??
Old 10-03-2001, 09:17 PM
KCTYPHOON

$7250 total for me

jesus christ.. i could probably flip my car over and get it fixed for less than that.. your cars must look pretty sick, but to pay almost half of what the car is worth for paint and a body kit, damn... sorry guys, i love my maxima, but you better belive id be puttin a down payment on a new 525 before i sunk that kinda loot into car in one shot..

Old 10-03-2001, 09:32 PM

I didn't pay that much

Originally posted by KCTYPHOON
jesus christ.. i could probably flip my car over and get it fixed for less than that.. your cars must look pretty sick, but to pay almost half of what the car is worth for paint and a body kit, damn... sorry guys, i love my maxima, but you better belive id be puttin a down payment on a new 525 before i sunk that kinda loot into car in one shot..
Old 10-03-2001, 10:12 PM

not to copy anyone here but i was thinking about IS300 silver or m3 blue(2002). I was quoted $5500 for full body, shave trunk key and door moldings, every door jam, under hood, trunk, installing body kit painted to match as well. And for an extra $500 every piece of rubber trim-molding would be replaced with brand new, thats around all windows/doors.

So $6000 complete!!!
i have 1/2 that right now, so we shall see....
Old 10-03-2001, 10:35 PM

I am 100% with you. 7K is like 40% of the Sentra SE-R

Originally posted by KCTYPHOON
Old 10-03-2001, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by bolido2000
I am 100% with you. 7K is like 40% of the Sentra SE-R

They are doing it for the love of it!
Old 10-03-2001, 11:15 PM
KCTYPHOON

they need thearopy.. lol jk

Old 10-04-2001, 12:26 AM

Paint

Here it is. I used to paint for GM so here is a little FYI. You guys are talking about more coats the better not really true. Lets say your car has factory paint. Add a coat of primer then a coat of sealer then 2 coats of base (minimum) then pile on 3 or four coats of clear you might be hurting in a couple years! Paint expands and contracts then cracks after awhile. It will start looking like when you break your windshild and get toses spider cracks. TRUST ME. You are true though GOOD paint jobs are gonna cost ya. Just because it looks good doesn't mean much. They don't sand everything or mis match sealer that doesn't compat with other bases then in a year or so your paint is gonna say no no and start peeling bubbling or lifting. Door jambs and under the hood they just rip ya off on. They take all of 2 or 3 hours to do. As for qualtiy of paint I think the best are Sikkens and PPG. Sikkens has the most brilliant clear I have EVER seen. Now Shadow the fun starts you want it to jump out 10 times more then the other cars. Take those three coats of clear he put on your car and put it to use!!! Take some 1500wet dry sand paper with a paint paddle and a garden hose and sand down every panel all over and go to your local body shop supplier and get some rough cutting coompound and buff like a mad man. Weekend later you look down on your hood with a better refletion then a mirror. Thats where custom comes from the wetsand and buff.

My two cents. Don't believe me take a look at my recent project. Anyone have paint questions I would be glad to answer.
Old 10-04-2001, 07:08 AM

nope...Superblack actually cost a bit more for the shop to apply b/c its harder to mix, compared to other Max colors.
Is this true?
Old 10-04-2001, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by CheshireCat76

Is this true?
At least that's what the shop told me. Superblack is the hardest one to get the correct blend compared to other OEM colors. Difference in price shouldn't be much more.
Old 10-04-2001, 07:31 AM

The paint is perfect by the way... I have seen it in person at Nopi... Shadow, drop me a line or call me on the cell... we need to talk business...
Old 10-04-2001, 07:37 AM

Re: Paint

The paint has already been sanded and buffed out. He did that before he sent the car back to me. I'm taking it back to him so he can buff it again. BTW, on my car he took it down to bare metal and painted the whole thing. The guy that I had do the sanding before I sent it to this shop messed it all up so all the factory paint was removed and my friend started over.

Originally posted by kernal100
Here it is. I used to paint for GM so here is a little FYI. You guys are talking about more coats the better not really true. Lets say your car has factory paint. Add a coat of primer then a coat of sealer then 2 coats of base (minimum) then pile on 3 or four coats of clear you might be hurting in a couple years! Paint expands and contracts then cracks after awhile. It will start looking like when you break your windshild and get toses spider cracks. TRUST ME. You are true though GOOD paint jobs are gonna cost ya. Just because it looks good doesn't mean much. They don't sand everything or mis match sealer that doesn't compat with other bases then in a year or so your paint is gonna say no no and start peeling bubbling or lifting. Door jambs and under the hood they just rip ya off on. They take all of 2 or 3 hours to do. As for qualtiy of paint I think the best are Sikkens and PPG. Sikkens has the most brilliant clear I have EVER seen. Now Shadow the fun starts you want it to jump out 10 times more then the other cars. Take those three coats of clear he put on your car and put it to use!!! Take some 1500wet dry sand paper with a paint paddle and a garden hose and sand down every panel all over and go to your local body shop supplier and get some rough cutting coompound and buff like a mad man. Weekend later you look down on your hood with a better refletion then a mirror. Thats where custom comes from the wetsand and buff.

My two cents. Don't believe me take a look at my recent project. Anyone have paint questions I would be glad to answer.
Old 10-04-2001, 08:09 AM

DA bufff

Wow you did get a good deal then if they took it down to metal. I know I wouldn't do it that cheap especially wetsand and buff too. Unless of course it was for a friend. You lucky dogg.
Old 10-04-2001, 08:25 AM

Re: DA bufff

It was done by a friend of mine. He basically did it for less than cost.

Wow you did get a good deal then if they took it down to metal. I know I wouldn't do it that cheap especially wetsand and buff too. Unless of course it was for a friend. You lucky dogg.
Old 10-04-2001, 11:28 AM

Re: Paint

that $h*t is SICK!!! nice job man!
Old 10-04-2001, 12:12 PM

Re: Re: Paint

hey ny96max you should do something really wild like orange or lime green, i gaurantee you would have a max like no other
Old 05-20-2002, 06:04 PM

I know someone that would for the cost of paint. How much would that be for the Viper blue of the IS300 blue or superblack?
Old 05-20-2002, 07:47 PM

You need to have a hook-up.....like me. I was quoted for everything (body work, door jams, inside door, inside trunk and hood, and every other nook & cranny)........$1200 from Roger's Customs in MD. The only reason is because i am real good friend's with the owner of the shop's son....otherwise, he quoted around $5500-$6000. My car will be painted in mid-late June. How long did they keep your car in the bodyshop Shadow????
Old 05-20-2002, 08:26 PM

5 weeks.

Originally posted by 97MaXiMaGLE97
You need to have a hook-up.....like me. I was quoted for everything (body work, door jams, inside door, inside trunk and hood, and every other nook & cranny)........$1200 from Roger's Customs in MD. The only reason is because i am real good friend's with the owner of the shop's son....otherwise, he quoted around $5500-$6000. My car will be painted in mid-late June. How long did they keep your car in the bodyshop Shadow????
Old 05-21-2002, 05:08 AM

Originally posted by Shadow
5 weeks.

*******...i won't have my car for 5 weeks??

Quick Reply: How much for the paint job on Shadows car??