4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Heated/Electric Seat install

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:59 AM

Heated/Electric Seat install

Hey guys, I just got a set of 4 black leather seats to replace my old cloth seats in my 95 max. I was just wondering how I could power these seats and get them moving? Thanks
Old 09-09-2007, 09:18 AM

there should be wires under there already look under your carpet or next to your door sill. all maximas came wired up the smae and my 95 has power seats so im assuming your plug is there it just isnt hooked up. if not you can always run power off your battery with an inline fuse. the seats always get power weather the car is on or off. lemme know how you make out. if you need it i can take pictures of my plugs so you know what to look for
Old 09-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey ive put heated seats in mines, but could never find the plugs under the center console? I've got the center console with the heated seat switches, but cant find the plugs.....how else can i get them to work....pics would be perfect with a how to.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:30 AM

yea i have the same problem .. anyone knows where u connect the heating cable from the seat ? any plugs or it goes to the center console? any fuses needed ?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Administrator

For those who have upgraded to heated seats, there are no plugs under the carpet/center console (for the heat stuff to work). All you need to do is run power to them and hook up the 3 wires accordingly. Very simple. But be sure you don't tap a power source that has constant power, because if you do, then one day you'll forget you left your heated seats on and come out to a drained battery. So....make sure you tap a power source that only has power once the car is turned on.

Take off the little panel where the fuse box is by your knees. Feel free to tap any source (10 or higher) that says IGN or ACC on it, not BAT.

Last edited by The Wizard; 10-03-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:10 AM

^ yeah exactly

I have dual heated power seats in my max. Just ran power from the driver side. I still need to run a wire from a switched source for the heated seats though. I don't always remember to turn them off :/
Old 10-01-2007, 03:13 AM

what about the cables that connect to the switches where are the cables ?
Old 10-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by xkazik
what about the cables that connect to the switches where are the cables ?
There are no existing cables. I found someone parting out a car (with heated seats) in the for sale section and asked him to clip off the harness plug with 6" of wiring for both the heated switches and the plugs underneath the seats. Then, all I had to do was add and connect some wiring, and connect power and 3 wires as stated above. If you're unable to track down the OEM plugs, you can always tap the wires behind the plug (under the seat) and solder the connection at the heated seat switch. I prefer my connections/work to be as close to OEM as possible, so I took the extra time to track down the set of 4 harness plugs. I think I paid around $25 shipped for all 4.

Last edited by The Wizard; 10-02-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:25 PM

ok so right now i have one cable under the seat that is not connected .. is that for the harness or the power ? and the harness from the switches goes directly to the seats ?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:39 PM

is that the harness http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasit...-p-129692.html
cuz i cant find it
Old 10-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Administrator

It's picture time........

See the ghost image on the backside of the center console for the heated seat switches? Cut here.

This is what you'll wind up with....

Pic of heated seat harness' with wiring. I sourced 4 OEM plugs (2 for the switches, 2 for the seats) with 6" of wiring and went to town. Red and blue wires coming from heated seat switches go to each plug under the seat. Black wire coming from switch, and black wire coming from plug under seat come together and are grounded with the other 2 grounds (4 total) to an existing bolt under my center console. White was ran into the fuse panel and I tapped a power source that only works when the ignition is on.

Pic of 3 wires coming out from under carpet and ready to be joined to three wires of seat plug. After I was done, I electrical taped all my wiring to give it that OEM look. (Sorry, no pic)

Last edited by The Wizard; 10-03-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:03 AM

oo man thx for the help this helped me a lot now i get it lmao .. one more thing tho .. how u know with color of the wire goes to what plug space ?
Old 10-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator

oo man thx for the help this helped me a lot now i get it lmao .. one more thing tho .. how u know with color of the wire goes to what plug space ?
I knew somebody was going to ask that. LOL

IIRC, the wiring at the plug (heated seat switch) is the same as the wiring at the other plug (under seat). Just make sure you connect your new intermediate wire to the same color wire on each end. The colors (red, blue, black, white) I used are arbitrary; I use different colors to keep the wiring easy. Now, if my memory has failed me, then I'm sure I turned to my trusty FSM and looked at the wiring diagram to figure out what connects to what.

If you don't have a FSM, and the wiring is indeed different, let me know and I'll look it up again and tell you how the translate the wiring colors etc.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator

For anyone that is uncomfortable with wiring splicing and/or doesn't have a FSM.....use this gizmo which I recommended to happy4444 when he was installing his heated seats.

These are two helpful threads as well......This should cover any remaining questions and help explain how to use the Mini Add-a-circuit etc.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ht=heated+seat

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=heat
Old 10-03-2007, 12:02 PM

Wizard you the best man ... im go buy the cables and that mini circuit asap .. i still have to find the plugs tho =(
Old 10-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Just for you xkazik. Hope this clears up any remaining questions you have regarding the wiring.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:15 PM

I did basically the same as Wizard. Cut out the switch panels with a utility knife, installed the OEM heater switches, wired up the cut harness parts and connected the power to the cigarette lighter socket. The cig lighter wiring has enough extra capacity as the seat heater circuit is only fused to 10A.

My Max had the power seat harness pre-wired however. That was plug and play.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:51 AM

"grounded with the other 2 grounds" by this u mean the other two from the other seat ?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

"grounded with the other 2 grounds" by this u mean the other two from the other seat ?
Yes, the other seat and other other switch.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:54 AM

oo man now i get this lmao after u explaining it to me for 2 days lol cuz i though theres 4 from each seat that got me lost.
the grounding cable from the switch and the seat dont have to touch eatch other right?

Last edited by xkazik; 10-04-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:41 PM

That "add a circuit" thing is pretty damn cool
Old 10-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Administrator

oo man now i get this lmao after u explaining it to me for 2 days lol cuz i though theres 4 from each seat that got me lost.
the grounding cable from the switch and the seat dont have to touch eatch other right?
They don't have to touch each other (be grounded together), but they certainly can. Point being, why have seperate ground points when you can have 1? Have all 4 grounds coming from the switches and seats come together under the center console, twist them all together and make them into the shape of a hook (or letter J), undo a bolt, put your ground under the bolt, then tighten down. Bam! Your wires are now grounded. See what I mean?
On a side note, 4 wires together can get pretty thick, so I suggest using 18-20 gauge wire if you go this route, 16 gauge would be too thick IMO.

If you want to get real fancy(LOL), go out and buy a couple of those connectors that has a 'donut' on the end. Then, insert two ground wires into the donut connector and crimp it. Do the same for the other two grounds. Then undo a bolt, stick the bolt through both donut holes, and then tighten down bolt. This is the approach I took.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:53 PM

Hello all, I know this is an old thread, but I'm having a tough time getting the heated seats that I installed working in my car. The little indicator light is not turning on and the seats are NOT getting warm at all. I've checked the voltage at the cigarette lighter and it works great.

I've checked and recorded voltage values at the switch plug and they are not identical between the switch terminals:

Wire Color High Setting (V) Low Setting (V)
White (P1) 13.6V 13.9V
Grey (P2) 0.24V 13.8V
Grey/Red (P3) 13V 7V
White (D1) 13.6V 13.6V
Grey/Blue (D2) 0V 13.5V
Grey/Black (D3) 13.7V 0V

I tapped the cigarette lighter for the voltage and grounded the black wires (2 from the switches, 2 from the seats) to the front right screw that secures the e-brake cable, so all voltage readings above are measured from the noted wire to the ground screw.

Obviously, something isn't right since the light on the switch isn't turning on, and they are not providing similar voltages to the wires.

I have not (yet) checked to make sure that everything is kosher in the seats themselves, but that will be my next step unless someone else has a better suggestion. I've referred to the wiring diagram that was posted above, but unfortunately that doesn't specify the proper voltages that should be supplied to each wire/terminal for the seats to function properly.

I'm rapidly running out of ideas, please help!!!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Whit
Old 12-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Whinnfjord
Hello all, I know this is an old thread, but I'm having a tough time getting the heated seats that I installed working in my car. The little indicator light is not turning on and the seats are NOT getting warm at all. I've checked the voltage at the cigarette lighter and it works great.

I've checked and recorded voltage values at the switch plug and they are not identical between the switch terminals:

Wire Color High Setting (V) Low Setting (V)
White (P1) 13.6V 13.9V
Grey (P2) 0.24V 13.8V
Grey/Red (P3) 13V 7V
White (D1) 13.6V 13.6V
Grey/Blue (D2) 0V 13.5V
Grey/Black (D3) 13.7V 0V

I tapped the cigarette lighter for the voltage and grounded the black wires (2 from the switches, 2 from the seats) to the front right screw that secures the e-brake cable, so all voltage readings above are measured from the noted wire to the ground screw.

Obviously, something isn't right since the light on the switch isn't turning on, and they are not providing similar voltages to the wires.

I have not (yet) checked to make sure that everything is kosher in the seats themselves, but that will be my next step unless someone else has a better suggestion. I've referred to the wiring diagram that was posted above, but unfortunately that doesn't specify the proper voltages that should be supplied to each wire/terminal for the seats to function properly.

I'm rapidly running out of ideas, please help!!!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Whit
Sounds like your wiring is good. FWIW, the lights not lighting up in the switches is a fairly common problem, so don't let that throw you off. However, your seats aren't getting warm. Both top and bottom on both seats? Hard to imagine all 4 burners are bad.

Also, you do realize the cigarette lighter doesn't provide power unless the keys are in the on position or the car is running.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 AM

Wizard, thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm aware that the cig lighter won't have power unless key is in "on" position, that's why I chose that wire! )

I still find it strange that given identical switch positions, the wires are not being given identical voltages (comparing from switch to switch).

I'll measure the surface temperature with a thermocouple before I turn on the seat heaters and then turn them on, wait for 10 minutes, and then measure temperatures again. I suppose another option might be to put the multimeter in series with one of the white wires into the switches and see if there is any amperage going to the heater elements.

Let me know if you have any more light to shed on the situation.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-26-2009, 10:44 AM

i know this post is kinda old but i hooked up my heated seats and wired them in basicly just how its done above with the mini add a circut but i dont think im getting heat or power to the heating element and my question is i think my switches are bad they dont light up or anything like that. the guy i got the switches from spilled coke or something on them bc their sticky and hard to move. ive cleaned them up some but if those switches are bad will that keep the seats from working properly?
Old 11-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Its possible that the switch could be the problem... do you have access to different switches just for testing? perhaps a friend or relative that may have the same car with heated seats?

btw, I think this thread should be added somewhere in the stickies. In fact, I demand it gets put in the stickies
Old 11-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 95MaximaDriver
i know this post is kinda old but i hooked up my heated seats and wired them in basicly just how its done above with the mini add a circut but i dont think im getting heat or power to the heating element and my question is i think my switches are bad they dont light up or anything like that. the guy i got the switches from spilled coke or something on them bc their sticky and hard to move. ive cleaned them up some but if those switches are bad will that keep the seats from working properly?
Based on your description, it sounds like your switches are bad.

FWIW, they don't have to light up to work (heat your seats), that's a separate issue.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:38 PM

old thread i know.. But Wizard coming from the switch which is the red and blue are which colors wires you extended?

Edit got it... Thanks alot

Last edited by wirelessdude04; 03-01-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by wirelessdude04
old thread i know.. But Wizard coming from the switch which is the red and blue are which colors wires you extended?

Edit got it... Thanks alot
Sounds like you answered your own question.

All buttoned up and everything works??
Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 PM

do any one know about the 03 maximas are they set up yhe same?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Sounds like you answered your own question.

All buttoned up and everything works??
last question before i start.. Red and blue can be connected to the same power? meaning there both power wires correct?
Old 03-06-2010, 04:53 AM

ok a lil lost and its not working... COnnected the red and blue to my cigrate lighter, black to my ebrake and the white wire to my fuse box acc ignition... and nothing??
Old 03-08-2010, 04:49 AM

help anyone? I used the guide wizard put up and used the same color wires also. The blue and red i connected together to my cigratte lights grounded the black but now where should i connect the white wire too?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Administrator

ok a lil lost and its not working... COnnected the red and blue to my cigrate lighter, black to my ebrake and the white wire to my fuse box acc ignition... and nothing??
help anyone? I used the guide wizard put up and used the same color wires also. The blue and red i connected together to my cigratte lights grounded the black but now where should i connect the white wire too?
Reread my post #11 and look at the pics in post #11. Only white is powered.... red and blue simply "bridge the gap" between point A and point B. Point A being the heated seat switch and Point B being the plug/wiring under the bottom of the seat. Make sense now?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Reread my post #11 and look at the pics in post #11. Only white is powered.... red and blue simply "bridge the gap" between point A and point B. Point A being the heated seat switch and Point B being the plug/wiring under the bottom of the seat. Make sense now?
lol duh retart me.. I was wondering why there is three souces of power.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:25 PM

i remember this post ... hehe if you do everything as described you will get them to work i remember when The Wizard was helping me get mine to work . thx again Wizard. My heated seats work till this day =)
Old 03-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Administrator

i remember this post ... hehe if you do everything as described you will get them to work i remember when The Wizard was helping me get mine to work . thx again Wizard. My heated seats work till this day =)
That's great to hear xkazik! Glad I was able to help you out in the past.
I've sure enjoyed my heated seats this winter. Brrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:51 PM

Thanks Wizard got them to work well at least the passenger side. But on the driver side the harness is cut, the part that connects to the heated seat harness coming from the seat. How can i work around this>
Old 03-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Thanks Wizard got them to work well at least the passenger side. But on the driver side the harness is cut, the part that connects to the heated seat harness coming from the seat. How can i work around this>
It's been a while since I've done this and seen the parts/connectors involved......Help me help you...post a pic if you can, as I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm sure I'll have a solution for you if you post a pic.

Quick Reply: Heated/Electric Seat install