3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

body parts- GXE to SE

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

body parts- GXE to SE

Hey what's up? I had started typing this a little while ago, then was talking on the phone and when I came back, it was gone. Anyways, I don't know if it got submitted or not, but if it did and you find it, disregard it, because it was incomplete (sort of like my brain's gray matter, lol)

OK, straight to the point: Even though they look identical, are the body panels on the GXE and the SE interchangeable? About the only pieces I know are different looking are the front air dams and the radiator grills, but I'm sure even they will pop right in. Are the fenders and doors the same, with the same attachment points?

I ask this because the guy that I sold my 93 GXE to called and told me I can have it back. I had sold it to him last fall, after buying a 93 SE from Ebay for less than $500, with the agreement that he would sell it back to me when he didn't need it anymore. After I swapped over the tires and wheels and other minor pieces, we got it to pass inspection, and it ran fine for him through the winter. The SE body is in much better shape, but it has a dented passenger side front fender, and a rusting passenger front door skin, and by nice coincidence those are about the only good body areas that are OK on the GXE. So it would be nice to exchange those pieces, or just strip the GXE outright, and maybe offer some things here in the org classifieds.

I already have lined up a mechanic and body shop under one roof, and they'll let me park the GXE in their yard to work on it. I just want to know first if things are going to fit OK with little trouble, so I'm not wasting my time.

BTW, I want to switch the trunk lids, since I took off my SE's spoiler, and it would be easier than patching up the holes where it was attached and wired. I noticed when I pressed the trunk release, the thing opens with enough velocity to launch a small mammal, lol! I might try it out on some local squirrels, ha! Anyway, I know the reason for this is because of the counter balance weight of the spoiler. I was surprised at how heavy it was- just one more reason to have it off. Is there a way to adjust the torsion of the lid springs, or whatever you call them?

Thanks for any input you can give, bros.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

everything is a direct swap.

you cant adjust the springs but you can swap them...just be careful in doing so or you can be hurt.

OR take the springs out and just use gas struts which is what I did on my SE when I put a GXE trunk on it.

vid of my old SE with the trunk opening as well as close ups of the strut part numbers and how they are mounted here

Right click save as on the vid please.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:38 AM

Hey awesome, thanks a bunch, Michael. I like the way that trunk lid goes up nice and smooth. I'll keep people updated on how it's going. I though I had it made also with the body colors of the GXE and the SE (both are gray), but the GXE is a lighter shade, it turns out. That's no matter, it can all be repainted in the spring. I must now turn my attention to the engine swap, because the SE has a bad valve and 151K on the odo. SOMEWHERE out there is a decent VE motor, JDM or otherwise... But that's a subject for another thread...
Thanx again.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:00 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

that's awesome. i've been hitting the trunk button, and jumping to the rear quickly enough to catch the trunklid.... lol, i'm sure it's rather funny to see me in action, so i try not to do it in public.

even though this wasn't intended for me, thanks for the idea.

also, if and when i put my q45 spoiler on here, it will be fairly heavy, combined with the finisher i'm sure....i wonder if putting them on there will still raise the trunklid?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by ustfdes
also, if and when i put my q45 spoiler on here, it will be fairly heavy, combined with the finisher i'm sure....i wonder if putting them on there will still raise the trunklid?
It should. I am assuming that the finisher and spoiler is lighter than the factory spoiler (that thing is pretty heavy) and Matt (who I got the idea from) had it on his trunk with the factory spoiler and a ton of sound deadening material (I think).
Old 09-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by ustfdes
that's awesome. i've been hitting the trunk button, and jumping to the rear quickly enough to catch the trunklid.... lol, i'm sure it's rather funny to see me in action, so i try not to do it in public.

even though this wasn't intended for me, thanks for the idea.

can't you just bunjee the arms from the taillight side to put reverse-tension on the springs?
Old 09-06-2007, 12:54 AM

can't you just bunjee the arms from the taillight side to put reverse-tension on the springs?
Hmm- more ideas for the squirrel launcher...
Old 09-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

but see, mine just pops up a half an inch, and i have to lift it myself. maybe my springs are worn too much? once it's halfway up it goes the rest of the way, but not all by itself.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:17 PM

yea thats how mine is, id like to have it raise all the way too, any suggestions. alsowhen i press the trunk release button sumtimes it wont release the first time. i tightened the spring/rope assembly by the trunk release inthe trunk but it hasnt helped much?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:53 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

it wasn't ever meant to go all the way up by itself, IIRC....the spoiler acts as a counterweight to keep it in place so you can lift it up on your own. the spring tension just HOLDS it up.

92gxe/cg2: by tightening your trunk release actuator cable, you really didn't do anything but make sure the trunk latch opens better, if that.

just so you know, the only thing affecting the lift on the trunk is the two 'springs' under your rear deck (in the trunk)....they look like 2 rods running left to right, are connected to the 2 'hinges' the trunklid is supported by, and put tension on the trunk 'hinges'.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by 92gxe/cg2
yea thats how mine is, id like to have it raise all the way too, any suggestions...
did you read the entire thread? I gave a pretty good suggestion and even provided pics and a vid.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:10 PM

gotcha, il look into doin the same for mine, after i replace the hood struts as there gettin weaker...