Garage and Workshop This forum is for discussions of what goes on in the garage - "the tools, the techniques, the tricks" ...or something like that. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CAR HERE.

Snap-on tools v. Craftsman?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Snap-on tools v. Craftsman?

Not sure where to post this so general seems to fit. Are snap on tools really worth the added price over craftsman for professional use. I've used craftsman sockets for years without problems but I realize it's not everyday. So should I pop for the snap on or just go craftsman. I'll also mention I get the snap on for about 45 percent off but even at that price it's still more than craftsman.

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Bad *** Newb

snap on =
Old 06-06-2007, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
snap on =
Why?...
Jae
Old 06-06-2007, 01:31 PM

I just think you are paying for the name and convenience of the snap-on attachments. I'd go with the craftsmen, they've never steered me wrong yet, plus, they have a lifetime warrantee (sp?) so I dont really know what the advantage would be. That is, unless, you buy 100k worth of tools and want to show them off to everyone you meet, then, buy the snap-on
Old 06-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
Why?...
Jae
Overpriced and they don't do the job any better. I haven't noticed a quality difference either.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:25 PM
bald aggression est 78

you might laugh but i use Napa handtools thats what the school gave us.I've only broken my half inch ratchet trying to get that pesky axle nut off and the breaker bar doin the same job.Unlike Snap-on and Craftsman You'd have to wait on the Snap-on truck to come to replace the tool depending on how often the guy comes around.With Craftsman you'd either have to wait to go on break ,or wait till you got off to go replace a broken tool and HOPE that they have it in stock.With Napa all you do is call'em up with part # wich is on the tool within ten to fifteen minutes a fresh new tool is DELIVERED to you no questions asked.Im not takin anything away from Snap-on or Craftsman,but for conveinence Napa's gottem beat and their tools are just as good.thats just my two cents
Old 06-06-2007, 06:43 PM

Interesting, as for snap-ons quality it's supposed to be that they won't break. I have on rare occasion run down to replace a craftsman socket or screwdriver. Never had a snap-on fail, but it's not like I use them regularly. I have busted my fair share of cheapo sockets however.

Are there any tools that it's worth paying the difference for? I know you don't cheap out on spray guns. What else is worth the extra dough?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:15 PM

Air compressors, get a good powerfull one. Air tools, NOT the $35 advanced auto parts ones. torque wrenches, you can tell the difference. I'd also get a $50 Oxy-Acetylene torch set, it's nice to have, you can use one or the other, it has two bottles and you can adjust the mixture/temp. Great for body-work and getting rusty bolts out, before you strip them or shear the heads off. I am sure there is more, I just cant think of any at the moment
Old 06-07-2007, 12:04 AM

Oh, a good low profile lightweight jack and solid stands plus creeper. Like basic hand tools, you'll be using these regularly, so get a good versatile set. There's also another thread about multi-meters.

I use my air compressor mostly for blowing things to clean and air up the tires. Pay more for a powerful, quiet one. Noise can get really annoying.

Jae
Old 06-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Nightmare = Reality

seriously, I wouldn't bother paying more than I felt was really necessary for any regular-use hand tool(wrenches, sockets, Hammers, etc.,) My dad has a set of GEORGE wrenches he's had for something like 30 years and I think he bent one once when linking it with his 1" for a makeshift breaker-bar. Now, I emphasize this practice ESPECIALLY if you're using them for employed work purposes. Reason being, someone can come along and take your sheit. I would only compell myself to carry more expensive tools if i was running my own shop or just working with a buddy at home. A good set of SK or Craftsman, maybe a few Mac tools will be more than adequate 90% of the time. Best part is if they get lost you're only out $4.99 as opposed to $24.99(and losing tools is the vast majority of the reason to replace them. I'd venture to say you're more likely to lose an expensive tool than break a cheap one.)
Old 06-07-2007, 11:03 AM

I've never had any problems with craftsman. My wrench set, ratchet set, allen keys, all good. Nothing's ever broken on me before and if it ever does, all I need to do is drive to Sears to get a free new one.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:55 PM

All very good points. So my tools set will be used for body work/welding/fabrication and eventually I will be getting into engine/suspension and the likes. They will be used for work on a day to day basis and I'd like to open my own shop once schools out(Good reason to buy a nice car for business purposes and a tax write off). So as the "required" tool list is way to big to post, is there anything outside of the standard sockest/wrenches that I might use regularly. I won't be buying certain things till after school, compressors, plasma cutter, welder. Other than that what should I be on the look out for. Loans are coming up quick.

On a side note, is it worth the extra couple grand to get a TIG welder over a MIG welder?
Old 06-10-2007, 04:51 PM

Recently my father and I have had more luck with tools made in china, well at least when it comes to taking a beating. Nothing but good things to say about companion tools so far(cheaper and pretty darn good quality). Our craftsman tools have been breaking too often with the same amount of a beating. BUT, since we already have bought many in the past, we just keep replacing the ones that break, since it is free to do so. When he does certain jobs, like replacing axles and jobs that have consistently broken craftsman tools, he switches to his companion tools
Old 06-11-2007, 01:21 PM

Oh good, I was afraid of mentioning Champion... yeah, haven't had a champion hand tool fail on me yet... can't say the same for craftsman. But like Blue said, it's free to replace, that's why I have them.
Jae
Old 06-11-2007, 01:32 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

What it all comes down to is ergonomics. The tools snap-on makes can be more comfortable in the hands during all day use than craftsman. Of course, craftsman makes ergonomic tools as well, but you have to pay a premium for them, they are not the same price as there regular line, though they are the same quality. For anyone not sure what I mean by ergonomics its how the tools feel in your hand, how comfortable they are to use. I used a lot of Snap-On tools in the Marine Corps working on helicopters, and I broke a lot of Snap-on tools as well. We always had a couple of spares on hand, so it was not a big deal to wait for the next time the truck came around. However, for the home mechanic, you really can't beat Craftsman for the quality and availability. It would suck to have to wait a week or go buy some other brand just because you broke a tool.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Banned

it all depends on what you do as a living. snap on cornwell matco mac are all high quality tools that craftsman can not live up to in name. now if you work for a shop or dealership and walk back into a sears to replace a broken socket or breaker bar or anything life time warrantied. they will turn you down and say that it was used for professional use. because they even say that there tools are for the hobbiest and not to be used professionally. so if you do use them in a shop or in a dealership and break them good luck be smart and do not walk in to the sears wearing your uniform because they will turn you down. Now for as to the difference in the tools. i own alot of cornwell tools and craftsman and for the tools i own that are cornwell i can say they quality compaired to craftsman is by far better. i only have the craftsman because its what i could afford going into my automotive technology course in college. but once i get out im taking those tools that are craftsman and taking them home and investing into snap on tools and matco mac or cornwell which ever one i see fit more for the job at hand.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Hmm, I've got Craftman tools and the only socket I've broken was a spark plug 13/16 which I used on my impact gun to remove lugnuts cuz I didnt have an impact socket on hand. Yes and it took a damn good beating for a long time. I've never had a problem with em and I do abuse em.

Elusive, that is Sears policy but NO ONE enforces that rule. BELIEVE ME I worked at Sears and my g/fs dad just retired after 30 years of working on cars, he'd go in to warranty tools with his uniform on and never got any problems. They understand tools are tools and they're meant to be used. Corporate doesnt think so but hey...thats why there is a special unlimited warranty program for these situations. Yes I looked it up on Wikipedia lol
Old 12-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Old Maxima Legend

im just now getting some tools, never been much of a mechanic, and im certainly not now. but for someone like me there is no way i would buy snap on even if i had the money. craftsman is good enough for people like me who dont use a wrench for a living.

if i won 5000 dollars worth of free tools, then i pick the snap on brand lol !
Old 12-11-2007, 06:06 PM

I've given up on craftsmen. I'm stuck in the same rut as someone else, they keep breaking, and they keep giving me another cheap refurb and it breaks again.

I've never liked the snap-on ratchets for the fact that they are a tight slip fit, I've definitly had situations where being able to push the button on the back of the ratchet to easily release the socket was required.

Now I buy Kobalt from lowes, same deal as craftsmen. My duralast gear wrenches have seen way to much tourqe with cheater bars and have never given a problem, but if they did it's the same no-hassle return as kobalt & craftsmen........ And apparantly Napa That's where I'm going from now on, delivery FTW.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:41 PM
I Miss My Maxima

The main reason I buy snap-on (or Mac, or Cornwell, or Matco) is that they come to the shop where I work -- I don't have to drive to a Sears. They also tend to offer a MUCH wider range of tools, especially for special applications like timing belts and transmission rebuilding. If I bust a 1/2" drive impact socket, I get a new one either way -- the only difference is whether I get one Monday off the tool truck or have to drive 20 miles to the nearest Sears store. Also, I can finance the purchases off the Snap-on truck, whereas with Sears I would probably have to get a Sears credit card, which doesn't allow weekly payments and charges outrageous interest.

For general purpose tools (impact sockets, wobblies, extensions, hand wrenches) Craftsman is more than sufficient. Especially if you're not hard on your tools. For anything that gets abused on a regular basis (3/8" and 1/2" drive impact guns) Snap-on and the like seem to have a better quality product that is completely rebuildable if parts wear out, not a use-and-toss like most of the Craftsman/IR stuff. In particular, Snap-on's 380 cordless impact is an absolute beast, and it beats the heck out of having to hook up to shop air every time you want to take a wheel off, dragging the hose around the car, etc.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:42 PM

I use Craftsman, but have a big mix.

I used Snap-on when I worked for a shop because they had those tools, and it was theirs, but I wouldn't spend $50 on a little wrench. If I open a shop I would go for Snap-on. Till then Craftsman will do.

Hows Husky (Home Depot brand)?

Also, do you guys mix and match brands (like a Craftsman wrench with a Snap-on socket)?

Last edited by spdfreak; 12-20-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by spdfreak
I use Craftsman.

I used Snap-on when I worked for a shop because they had those tools, and it was theirs, but I wouldn't spend $50 on a little wrench. If I open a shop I would go for Snap-on. Till then Craftsman will do.

Hows Husky (Home Depot brand)?

Also, do you guys mix and match brands (like a Craftsman wrench with a Snap-on socket)?
I've heard lots of good things about Husky, the source= gfs father, mechanic for 30 years. I'd take his word
Old 12-11-2007, 08:27 PM

I have a set of ratcheting wrenches from Husky, and they are still holding strong! Had them for well over a year and have busted many knuckles and bolts, but the wrenches are still good! (knock on wood cause' my buddy is using them for his RSX build)

I don't see a problem with mixing and matching. I'm sure there's people that have a Cattman header, Greddy exhaust, paired with Magnaflow mufflers (you get the point) and it still works.

Last edited by !PrjctMax!; 12-11-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:44 PM

No mention of Matco?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:21 PM

I use my bare hands, you bunch of wussies..
Old 12-11-2007, 09:50 PM

Write in vote

SK hand tools FTW
...expensive as all get out though
Old 12-11-2007, 10:16 PM

Kobalt > Husky imo
Old 12-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Banned

i agree for those not doing this as there line of work a not so high dollar brand is good enough but for me its what i do for a living so i rather invest in good tools. o and for 5 grand u can get just alone a nice snap on box. one of my senior techs at Subaru has nothing but snap on tools and its nice. also he has probably around 250,000 dollars in snap on tools if not more. hopefully once the new year comes around i can make my move over to nissan if the dealerships have an opening still.

i will be one to invest in snap on for alot of the good tools and for things like impacts to take off lug nuts buy something cheaper like a kobalt and just have the snap on one for things more important. as with lug nuts you dont need too much torque plus u dsont want to wear down a good brand impact on that kinda stuff. since impacts and air tools only have like a year or two warranty from all tool trucks. yes you read it right air tools dont get life time from the trucks.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:00 PM

Meh, that defeats the purpose of spending all that money on your all mighty snap-on impact gun just to get a cheapy cuz you're afraid of wearing it down... man dude you are weird lol
Old 12-11-2007, 11:02 PM

When you rely on your tools for your line of work you will slowly learn what you need to get off of tool trucks and what you can get from places like sears. For example when it comes to swivel sockets and Torx/Allen sockets Snap-On hands down has the best. Yeah, they cost like 3Xs as much as a set of IRs or Craftsman but I've never broken a Snap-On swivel socket and went through 2 sets of Craftsman deep wells swivels before I got my Snap-On ones. Also there are certain specialty tools that are hard to find that are normal stock on most trucks. Also the convience of them coming to you is also another reason I use them.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:24 AM

Do you think it matters where the tool is manufactured? USA, vs China, vs Mexico, vs Taiwan, vs Japan, vs Canada, etc?

Dr J
Old 12-12-2007, 05:39 AM

Snap-On tools are worth it for the quality. If you have a job where you depend on your tools daily, you'll find that Snap-On style tools(along with Matco, SK, etc.) are a lot more durable. Craftsman, Husky, Kobalt,, etc. are more than adequate for the average DIY'er.

PS: If you're in the market for Snap-On tools, befriend someone that is in school to become an automotive technician. Snap-On offers tools to a lot of students in automotive programs at discounts of up to 50% off. This includes ratchets, sockets, screwdrivers, and a lot of other common tools.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by mfewtrail
Snap-On tools are worth it for the quality. If you have a job where you depend on your tools daily, you'll find that Snap-On style tools(along with Matco, SK, etc.) are a lot more durable. Craftsman, Husky, Kobalt,, etc. are more than adequate for the average DIY'er.

PS: If you're in the market for Snap-On tools, befriend someone that is in school to become an automotive technician. Snap-On offers tools to a lot of students in automotive programs at discounts of up to 50% off. This includes ratchets, sockets, screwdrivers, and a lot of other common tools.

Hook us up with the disscount.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by mfewtrail

So... friends?
Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 PM

my old man has made a living out turning wrenches. For years he would NEVER EVER touch anything but Snap-On...... but, he has come on lately and said if he had it to do all over again he would have bought CHEAP tools and had nicer cars..... Instead of badazz tools and beat up cars

Take a look at Duralast wreches at Autozone --- I haven't looked at anything from duralast outside of their breaker bar and their wrenches.... but, for the money I think their wrench set is a good value. I like them better than the craftsman stuff I have .... and autozone has a lifetime warranty as well.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:33 AM

Craftsman tools appreciate in value over time... Just saying.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:18 AM

I have used Husky on my car for years now... Beaten the hell out of them and never had a problem.

My brother is a Mechanic and he swears by Snap-On... The rare times a tool does break on him, his rep replaces it zero problems, even the air ratchet he threw across the garage installing my HS Headers.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:54 AM
STFU n00b!

I use exclusively Snap On Ratchets for daily use. had a hanfdull of craftsman ones before that. a friend loaned me a snap on round head pivoting ratchet one day.. I immediately went out and bought my own in 3/8 and 1/4" drive. I've since worn out the ratchet mechanism on the 3/8" one and bought a replacement head for it. not cheap compared to a $10 craftsman ratchet but WELL worth the extra price in versatility and quality.

TH737 in 1/4" drive and FH747 in 3/8" drive.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
No mention of Matco?
Old 12-13-2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
So... friends?

Quick Reply: Snap-on tools v. Craftsman?