5th Generation Classifieds (2000-2003) Buy, sell, trade parts for 2000-2003 Maximas

Wtb Lowering Set-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 03:15 PM

lowering question...

looking for a full set of springs!!!!...NOTHING SLAMMED please THANKS
Old 05-05-2007, 03:34 PM
dot dot dot ...

Do it, why not? If you don't care about them going out faster, there is no reason why you shouldn't just do eeeiitt!

My A32 is still on stock struts on Eibachs
Old 05-05-2007, 03:48 PM
IN IRAQ MAXIMA.ORG-ING :)

well also take into consideration of the areas you will be driving through... lowered with stock struts might not be a good thing in ruff areas... thats where theres after market struts to react towards those ruff areas in my opinion...
Old 05-05-2007, 04:46 PM

yea....well does anyone know anything about cutting your stock springs? hahah
Old 05-05-2007, 05:09 PM

I know it will ride like crap. Read the suspension thread.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:15 PM
still brewin'

Originally Posted by dAAmax
yea....well does anyone know anything about cutting your stock springs? hahah
That depends . I've heard it all before so no need to me. Don't keep it as a long term option though. I have some other more pertinent issues to take care of before I lower it "right". I have a spare set of stock springs and shocks, so I said what the hell. Here is a pic of my car on cut springs. been this way for 4 months now with no issues. And nooooooo. IT'S NOT BOUNCY. The shocks haven't blew YET

Old 05-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Drug Money

Just get the shocks. Don't go cheapo.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:53 PM
still brewin'

Originally Posted by MaxBoost925
Just get the shocks. Don't go cheapo.
If you can do it right, then by all means. until that times comes, I went cheapo depot. Them gaps were killin me.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Yayomax
If you can do it right, then by all means. until that times comes, I went cheapo depot. Them gaps were killin me.
If you like the saggy look, then by all means...

...cut them springs.

Your suspension looks like its sitting on the frame of the car...

...and you might want to check the pressure in your tires

cut springs =
Old 05-05-2007, 07:38 PM

I figured it out!!! Yayomax, your car looks like it has the Taurus/Sable infamous Ford Motorcraft snapped spring syndrome. Saggy a$$ and all...
Old 05-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

I drove on OEM struts and Maxspeeds for over a year. My back paid the price.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
I drove on OEM struts and Maxspeeds for over a year. My back paid the price.

Except I'm going on about 2 years now. Should be getting my coilovers next week.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:07 PM
still brewin'

Originally Posted by nismopc
If you like the saggy look, then by all means...

...cut them springs.

Your suspension looks like its sitting on the frame of the car...

...and you might want to check the pressure in your tires

cut springs =

I figured it out!!! Yayomax, your car looks like it has the Taurus/Sable infamous Ford Motorcraft snapped spring syndrome. Saggy a$$ and all...
Yeah, It's not something I'm proud of at all. First (and last) time for everything though. Would't do it again. I just need to learn more about suspension in general before I "fix" it. A question was asked and I had the actual answer. BTW, my pressure was low in that old pic.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:07 PM

i've been running mine with Vogtland's springs all around with stock 'Tokico' stamped struts on my 03 SE 6speed for almost a year now. The vogtland's & eibach's are relatively close in initial and progressive spring rates if my memory is correct, 'relative' is the key word people with tooooo much time on their hand on the .org. eibach's stiffer, maybe?

no problems with setup yet, love the handling, craving high speed banks on freeways, mountains switchback, highway swithch backs, any switch backs. no more nausea-ride motion with stock setup. that initial wobbliness is gone. there is a slight movement now, but remains flat after that, completely flat and planted.

on the other hand, when hitting joints, potholes, larger gashes on the road, prepare yourself for the shock. a loud bam is usually accompanied by jolt felt throughout the cabin.

can't wait to try illuminas after these go, maybe sooner. from what i understand, the stock struts are equivilent to Tokico HP's. ive read that the HP's are at about 2/3 settings on the illuminas.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Nightmare = Reality

my reccomendation is to improve the dampening before you start playing the spring game. the stock shocks won't cope as well with stiffer springs, and don't even bother with spring cutting unless you got access to some accurate fixtures, cutting tools that won't expose them to ALOT of excessive heat(torching your springs will them up since the actual ratings on them will change, and you have no concrete way of changing them equally) and plenty time to cut all 4 in a consistent manner.

you could measure 15 times and still screw up when you actually get to cutting. do like they said above and don't cheap out.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:17 AM

Im gonna get flamed for this but here goes. I cut my springs. Left the rears alone and cut the fronts one coil to even the height. And i can attest that it does not look saggy or bounce or handle worse.
Just the opposite, it rides a lot better. Maybe not as well as aftermarkets suvch as h tiens or whatever but from what it was before it is waaaayyyy better. Before it would smack the pot holes and bumps and was wicked floaty. After cutting the springs it takes the bumps with ease and the floatiness has decreased. I dont know everyone gets off on saying cutting is bad. Obviously you cant go to much but a little is ok. Everyones has gotten this dont cut it will suck but all suspension books as well as sports such as nascar and other racing sports have cut springs. Cutting springs actually increases the spring rate and in my situation i dont bottom out as much and just in general it looks and rides better than i expected.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:50 AM

Wtb Lowering Springs

title speaks for itself, let me know what you got...looking for good quality springs that offer you a nice ride, thanks
Old 05-19-2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by dAAmax
title speaks for itself, let me know what you got...looking for good quality springs that offer you a nice ride, thanks
im removing my suspension setup from my car on monday

-Tien s-tech springs 2.2" front 1.8" rear drop
-kyb gr-2 shock/struts
-Stillen front strut bar
-progress rear sway bar
Old 05-19-2007, 09:51 AM

you have pm
Old 05-19-2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by MaxiPad'01
you have pm
never got a pm^^^
Old 05-19-2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by joeyd
never got a pm^^^

not you...sorry if that was unclear.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by MaxiPad'01
not you...sorry if that was unclear.

ooooooops.....
Old 05-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have Tien H-techs for sale, about 5k miles on them. 125 + shipping.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:10 PM

I have a set of practically brand new Sprints (1.8 drop all around) $125 shipped . PM me if interested.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:02 AM
I choose not to comment.

Originally Posted by owais
I have Tien H-techs for sale, about 5k miles on them. 125 + shipping.

Interested. PM sent
Old 05-23-2007, 06:02 PM

lowering question

i got a question about lowering my 5th generation maxima... i want something dropped to look nice on 18s but with a nice confortable ride close to stock..everyone keeps on telling me to check the org i have been looking around for a long time but i still cant come to a conclusion on what springs to purchase...i dont want it slammed low but idk to purchase eibach,h&r, or h-techs...let me know please, thanks
Old 05-23-2007, 06:35 PM
is invisible

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdispla...aysprune=&f=10
noob q=noob thread
Old 05-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=449807
Old 05-26-2007, 08:41 PM

bump to tha top
Old 05-27-2007, 08:09 AM

bump to tha top
Old 05-29-2007, 03:46 PM

bump it bump it
Old 05-29-2007, 07:36 PM

lowering question

alright guys.... i am deciding on wether i should get H-techs or eibach springs....i hear that h-techs tend to botom out at times and i definatly dont want that but i also hear the offer close to a stock ride but on the other hand eibach wont bottom out because of the stiffer spring but with the stiffer spring the ride will be too tight for me....also a question about hp blues.... if you would have to compare this setting illumina what setting what the hp-blue be on the illuminas...thanks for all yal help ahaha
Old 05-29-2007, 08:03 PM

eibachs i believe are the stiffest springs... the setting for hp blue on illumina i believe is a 3 (from what i've read).
Old 05-29-2007, 08:06 PM
retired moderator

some advice from someone who has had both of them (me):

H-techs do ride nice on bumpy-ish roads, and have a nice looking drop. BUT they do tend to bottom out on larger bumps (even with bumpstops cut and illuminas at stiffest setting), and personally I think the handling is pretty sloppy.

Eibachs are not nearly as stiff as most people act like they are. I've never had complaints from passengers in my car (including my wife, parents, and in-laws) about them being too stiff. They most definitely are NOT "the stiffest" for the 5th gens.....only for 4th gens. The Eibachs have MUCH better handling, never bottom out, and have a nice looking drop as well (see my sig).
Old 05-29-2007, 08:17 PM

irish44j, not that your car looks bad, it just seems to look like it sags in the rear with Eibach's. I've noticed that about other 5th gens and Eibachs.

One major reason is the idiotic wheel well design Nissan did where the fronts are higher wish gives it an illusion. But just looking at the lower portion of 5th gens below the doors with Eibachs, the rear always looks lower than the front.

This was one of the main reason I went for Maxspeeds. I like the raked look specfically for this reason. I do not autocross (I have in the past, different car), so I know your reasons for choosing (several) certain springs over time are different than why I chose the springs I did.

Just my observation.

dAAmax - If your going for a stock ride quality with lower stance and are already concerned about the H-techs bottoming out due to the softer spring, you might consider H&R or Maxspeeds (almost identical). They might be what you are after.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:29 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by nismopc
irish44j, not that your car looks bad, it just seems to look like it sags in the rear with Eibach's. I've noticed that about other 5th gens and Eibachs.

One major reason is the idiotic wheel well design Nissan did where the fronts are higher wish gives it an illusion. But just looking at the lower portion of 5th gens below the doors with Eibachs, the rear always looks lower than the front.

This was one of the main reason I went for Maxspeeds. I like the raked look specfically for this reason. I do not autocross (I have in the past, different car), so I know your reasons for choosing (several) certain springs over time are different than why I chose the springs I did.

Just my observation.

dAAmax - If your going for a stock ride quality with lower stance and are already concerned about the H-techs bottoming out due to the softer spring, you might consider H&R or Maxspeeds (almost identical). They might be what you are after.
That's cool, though in my sig pic on the left, I have a set of 4 wheels/tires in and all my autocross gear and jacks in the trunk/back seat that are making the back sit lower. Look at the pic on the right.....more even.

The Eibachs have actually become MORE even the longer I've had them as the fronts break in more and drop further.

BTW, Maxspeed and H&R aren't really the same. Old threads die hard around here. Maxspeeds are linear springs and H&R are progressive-rate..
Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Nightmare = Reality

as far as I've observed and read up on here, it seems like the most even-looking drops are the H-techs and the Eibachs actually. Irish's setup has never looked saggy to me. If you want the best ride quality, you only have 4 choices for springs: Stock, H&R, Eibach, or Vogtland. If you want to be lower, you'll have to lose the stockers, and Vogtlands look less even than Eibachs. (the review I have seen on them has shown they get more even after an initial 100 or so miles.) So; you're left with H&Rs and Eibachs. My cousin and Irish will SWEAR by Eibachs if they had to do without coilovers, and H&R I've heard has the closest to stock ride quality. Irish knows what he's doing so don't necessarily trust every review/pic out there, unless he has a fair say
Old 05-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Black02Max

I have some Tien s-tech springs FS too.

mmendezvq35@hotmail.com
Old 05-30-2007, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
BTW, Maxspeed and H&R aren't really the same. Old threads die hard around here. Maxspeeds are linear springs and H&R are progressive-rate..
oops.

Originally Posted by Maxim(a)SerjVQ
Irish knows what he's doing so don't necessarily trust every review/pic out there, unless he has a fair say
I never doubted what he was saying, but pictures dont lie. Well unless they've been photoshopped, or in irish's case, got's some junk in da trunk.

I ran Eibach Pro's on a '96 G20 w/GR2's and the performance was incredible, but the ride quality suffered a lot. Super stiff and unforgiving over bumps, but w/good tires grabbed like a fly on flytape. I am a true believer in Eibach springs as well, but this was not a choice for me as I am a bit older now, drive my Max approx. 30k a year and have a family to drive around.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:32 PM

I'm alos looking for a set of lowering spring. 2000 SE
e-mail me @ smg.customs@gmail.com

Quick Reply: Wtb Lowering Set-up