5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Chirping Sound From Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:13 PM

Chirping Sound From Rear Suspension

Hello guys, I have a quick question regarding the recent Chirping noise I got from my rear suspension. It happens everytime i over some sort of bumpy surface. I think its coming from the Left Rear suspension but not 100% positive. My car is lowered with H&R on Tokicos, I have used them for about 2 years now. I am just wondering if anyone ever had any similar sounds found on their car. Could it be a bad shock or sth down that road?

Thx in advance
Old 04-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Cletus

i have the exact same setup and noise!!

sounds like chickens in my trunk.

ive tried everything and cant figure it out. dont think its a bad strut...i thinks its something just rubbing
Old 04-16-2007, 04:25 PM

LOL yes thats exactly the type of sound that would easily drive ppl nuts. I have taken to the shops be4 and they said alot of things may cause this and never really gimme a confirmed answer >.<...
Old 04-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sounds like dry bushings, sometimes spraying them with wd40 will "lubricate" them so it stops the noise for a little while. Note that this is not a "fix" since wd40 doesn't really have much lubricating qualities and don't spray the bushings with oil since it will deteriorate the rubber. It has "fixed" noise in my cars before atleast for sometimes, and that is better than that annoying noise from the rear suspension. I am still unsure why the rear suspension is more prone to this noise than the front suspension. It'd be nice if someone actually figured this out.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Cletus

already lubricated the RSB bushing, that was my first guess. didnt help
Old 04-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Kevlo for President

Spray some on the upper part of the rear strut, I believe it is those bushings. I have the same problem.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Same here with Blues and Maxspeeds.

Biproduct of lowered suspension me thinks.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:32 PM

I have the same issue. It's a "bird chirping" sound. Funny thing is, mine is coming from the rear right, and yours is coming from the left rear...

I think I know what it's coming from. The rear brakes. During the rain, I don't hear the sound, so it's accessible (most likely) from the outside/underneath the car.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:03 PM

Thanks alot guys for the responses. Im real surprised to see that there are quite a few ppl with this problem. Its really annoying. I think Im going to try and lube the bushings and see how it goes from there. BTW, do you guys think getting a new set of struts would help? Cuz I don't remember hearing the chirping sound when i first lowered my car >< wierd
Old 04-17-2007, 05:33 PM

Same problem here good info
Old 04-17-2007, 07:29 PM

This is probably not what's causing the noise in your cars but reminds me of the time when I had the same "chickens in the trunk" noise in my 4th gen. It drove me absolutely nuts! I lubricated every moving part I could think of in the back of the car but it didn't help. It annoyed me so much that I wanted to ask my wife to drive the car with me in the trunk just to try to figure out where the noise was coming from. Then, one time I needed the car jack and went to remove it from its storage compartment and noticed the bracket that holds the jack was loose. The weight of the jack was causing the bracket to move and squeek every time I'd hit a bump or a hole. I simply tightened the screw that holds the bracket and the noise was gone...
Old 04-17-2007, 08:04 PM
wat

Originally Posted by Whiggy
This is probably not what's causing the noise in your cars but reminds me of the time when I had the same "chickens in the trunk" noise in my 4th gen. It drove me absolutely nuts! I lubricated every moving part I could think of in the back of the car but it didn't help. It annoyed me so much that I wanted to ask my wife to drive the car with me in the trunk just to try to figure out where the noise was coming from. Then, one time I needed the car jack and went to remove it from its storage compartment and noticed the bracket that holds the jack was loose. The weight of the jack was causing the bracket to move and squeek every time I'd hit a bump or a hole. I simply tightened the screw that holds the bracket and the noise was gone...
Mine had the same problem as you, but now i have chickens in my engine bay .... been tryin 2 find the source for 2 months now
Old 04-18-2007, 07:36 AM

rear wheel drive.

heh. anyway, i had this on my previous maxima and i sprayed the shocks with wd-40. the long metal part (dunno what its called), i figured it was dry cuz my boots were shredded and thought sand/dirt/other contaminants went up in there making it dry. this is what i was thinking, don't know if it true or not. the sound went away for a little while. the shocks definitely were not blown tho because my s techs were riding as well as ever.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:08 PM

I have the same sound, and my suspension is completely stock. I thought it was coming from the front though, and I figured it was simply the byproduct of a car that has over 160k miles on it. I may try wd40 on it now and see what it does.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Sunlit Sand Beauty

did the wd-40 do the trick? i have an 03. fully stock. 29k miles and the "chickens in the trunk" are drivin me crazy....i didnt mind them when i first got the car 2 months ago. but...now its annoying me...
Old 03-12-2008, 02:34 PM

I was about to go try and fix this problem once again, but i figured id search more before i do. I decided to bump this and link it to the thread i created 2 months ago, maybe more exposure will bring some more insight to the problem - http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....612&highlight=

It seems like many members have this problem but has anybody found a concrete fix for it? Are yall still driving around with the bird chirping? I've had it for 2 months now and it drives me and the other passengers in the car crazy. I've already tried fixing it twice but it comes back. I was thinking about going back to stock springs in the back, but JimmyH's (post 14) set up is stock and he has it so i dunno what to do anymore. Im at a loss for solutions at this point.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:40 PM

I am lowered on H-Techs and blues and have the sound on my right rear. I think its actually my tire rubbing (255/40/18) but its only on the right side. This is kinda a thread jack, but could there be slightly less clearance for the tire on the right side?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Cletus

mine is also right rear...i dont even notice it anymore
Old 03-12-2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by BLK2BLU
I am lowered on H-Techs and blues and have the sound on my right rear. I think its actually my tire rubbing (255/40/18) but its only on the right side. This is kinda a thread jack, but could there be slightly less clearance for the tire on the right side?
Yes, u probably need to recenter ur rear beam. I need to recenter mine too.

Mine was on the right side but i switched the rear struts thinking it might help, so now its on the drivers side. Sooner, yours obviously isnt very loud huh if you dont notice it anymore. My exhaust is loud and i can hear it easily over the exhaust at any speed, even on the highway. I can also hear it over music at a moderate level. I guess I'll just keep fighting/fixing it periodically. I'll take a pic of the crooked bushing and tube if i fix it anytime soon.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:39 AM

I have the same "chirping bird" sound coming from my left rear. i have had this for a few months now, and i'm completely stock. i think i might lube it down later today to see if that may "fix" it. You can really hear them "chirping" when i'm in a parking garage and i'm going up the incline and making a sweeping left hand turn.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:17 PM

Oddly enough this problem isn't unique to our Maximas. My suspension is stock and I've every so often started to have this problem, but definitely noticed this in people's cars be it Nissans, Domestic etc. Always around the shocks, struts. Darn thing is no one ever quite knows how to get rid of it.
I've gone away from the WD to the white spray grease stuff, works better for me.
Has anyone ever had this and, replace/mod their suspension and had this go away? It'd give more clues to what might be the cause....
Old 03-13-2008, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1MaXXfan
Oddly enough this problem isn't unique to our Maximas. My suspension is stock and I've every so often started to have this problem, but definitely noticed this in people's cars be it Nissans, Domestic etc. Always around the shocks, struts. Darn thing is no one ever quite knows how to get rid of it.
I've gone away from the WD to the white spray grease stuff, works better for me.
Has anyone ever had this and, replace/mod their suspension and had this go away? It'd give more clues to what might be the cause....
I know the cause, I just dont know how to fix it. The distance tube hitting the washer is the metal on metal chirping/grinding noise. It's the only thing that could be causing the problem.

Edit: If you take apart the entire strut assembly and examine every part, it's the only two pieces near each other that could cause this. This isn't a rubber on rubber sound, this is metal on metal. I'm not gonna take the time to upload the picture on here, but take a look at page SU-20 (parts 2, 5 and 6) from the FSM and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Last edited by huffdaddy2008; 03-13-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by huffdaddy2008
I know the cause, I just dont know how to fix it. The distance tube hitting the washer is the metal on metal chirping/grinding noise. It's the only thing that could be causing the problem.

Edit: If you take apart the entire strut assembly and examine every part, it's the only two pieces near each other that could cause this. This isn't a rubber on rubber sound, this is metal on metal. I'm not gonna take the time to upload the picture on here, but take a look at page SU-20 (parts 2, 5 and 6) from the FSM and you'll see what I'm talking about.
for 2000-2001 maxs the rear suspension diagram is on pg SU-23.
it looks like ur pointing out the pieces on the top of the very top of the strut. i'm going to try removing the trunk linning and spraying some lubricant onto the top of the rear strut
Old 03-14-2008, 06:16 AM

lowered on maxspeeds/blues and having sound from rear right

question for you all:
do you notice the sound when you roll down your windows?
if i roll down my drivers side window i can clearly hear it comming from the outside as well...

it sounds like im riding my brakes with my wear indicators rubbing against the rotor
Old 04-10-2008, 06:58 PM

I fixed the squeaks again today. Now both sides are making the chirping noise. Here is the first shot at the bushings and distance tube once i got the top hat off. The tube should be down inside that bushing. You shouldn't really be able to see it at this angle but because my rear struts love me you can clearly see it poking its head out of that bushing.

Heres another

This is what the bushings and distance tube should look like.

I really dont understand what causes this to happen. How do the bushings and tube get so out of spec or whatever that they dont function properly. I'm on maxspeeds, so its not like the rear is that much different than OEM springs. I'm just frustrated at this point. I really like my car but I can't stand this noise. Im not about to pay the labor to go get the run around at some meineke or midas either when i can do both rear struts in about an hour. I'm not a mechanic but I dont think this is all that complicated. Maybe I'm installing it wrong, somebody please enlighten me. I know there are Nissan mechanics here on the org. Care to chime in? Irish, you're a suspension guru, have any advice? This damn noise bugs the shiit out of me. Most of the time i can handle it just by cranking up the music. It makes driving my car not very enjoyable. God forbid i put a passenger in the back seat. It's like a bouncing nest full of robbins or something. Alright I'm done venting.

On a lighter note, I fixed both squeeks and realigned the entire catback so that it doesnt rattle against the heat shield or rear crossmember. It was pure bliss driving around this afternoon not hearing any noises.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:16 PM

i had that same noise when i got my car......I JUST CRANKED THE RADIO up. Then i did the suspension overhaul and lowered my car (mild drop) Illumina's and H&R's I also did purchase new OEM bumpstops and strut mounts, as well as 2 sets of spring isolators.....But ironically, the chirp noise is GONE!

However with my OEM suspension.....noise was coming from my passenger side rear, i could hear it with the windows rolled UP OR DOWN...mainly i could hear it inside the cabin

Last edited by hi-tek22; 04-10-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:57 AM

alright guys, the squeak is due to the rear upper bushing not being tight enough. You can do this without even jacking up the car! In the trunk and back off the jamnuts and tighten the nut until the bushing is fully compressed even with the washers or slightly larger than the washer! The best fix is a poly bushing, but when you hear that clunking and chirping sound that the upper bushing sliding and banging against that upper strut mount. Just tighten them up a little more and the proplem will go away! I had to do a little bit of tweaking after I installed my Progress/Illuminas set up! Warning don't spray rubber with any petroleum based fluids it will eventually destroy/soften your bushings!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:18 AM

Hey guys, I've just signed onto this site and it's BEAUTIFUL!!! Maxima owners dream!!! Anyway, I had this same problem for months and it drove me crazy!!! I brought it to the dealership and mechanics and same old story... They couldn't figure it out... I was doing my rear brakes and noticed something, The parking brake cable is held onto the rear axle with a "clip" piece and that peice was loose!! Just squeezed the sides together with a pair of channel locks so the clip didn't move and YES!!! No more birds in the rear!! WOO HOO! Hope this helps!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:41 AM

I have a weird chirping/squeaking noise coming from the drivers side front of my car. I can hear the noise over minor road imperfections and when I close my door. I haven't looked into my problem at all so I can't help you guys, but I am on stock everything. Is this the same problem as you guys are having? Or has someone had this as a different chirp/squeak problem?
Old 04-14-2008, 07:48 PM

Had the struts replaced a few months ago due to them being warn out and causing the car to bounce. Once the struts were replaced, i began to notice the creaking sound and a bit of a clunking sound when going over bumps the sound is coming from the rear passenger side. I tried doing what CMAX said in the post above, I tightened up the middle strut bolt. Took it for a drive and I still am hearing the creaking sound, and it is annoying. Searched around everywhere never could find an explanation.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:17 AM
the org...not what it was

I fixed the squeaks again today. Now both sides are making the chirping noise. Here is the first shot at the bushings and distance tube once i got the top hat off. The tube should be down inside that bushing. You shouldn't really be able to see it at this angle but because my rear struts love me you can clearly see it poking its head out of that bushing.

Heres another

This is what the bushings and distance tube should look like.

I really dont understand what causes this to happen. How do the bushings and tube get so out of spec or whatever that they dont function properly. I'm on maxspeeds, so its not like the rear is that much different than OEM springs. I'm just frustrated at this point. I really like my car but I can't stand this noise. Im not about to pay the labor to go get the run around at some meineke or midas either when i can do both rear struts in about an hour. I'm not a mechanic but I dont think this is all that complicated. Maybe I'm installing it wrong, somebody please enlighten me. I know there are Nissan mechanics here on the org. Care to chime in? Irish, you're a suspension guru, have any advice? This damn noise bugs the shiit out of me. Most of the time i can handle it just by cranking up the music. It makes driving my car not very enjoyable. God forbid i put a passenger in the back seat. It's like a bouncing nest full of robbins or something. Alright I'm done venting.

On a lighter note, I fixed both squeeks and realigned the entire catback so that it doesnt rattle against the heat shield or rear crossmember. It was pure bliss driving around this afternoon not hearing any noises.
Just so i'm understanding this correctly, you fixed it by moving/adjusting the bushing?
Old 04-16-2008, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by alicious
Just so i'm understanding this correctly, you fixed it by moving/adjusting the bushing?
Yes, I re-positioned the the distance tube that goes through the bushings back to its normal position.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
alright guys, the squeak is due to the rear upper bushing not being tight enough. You can do this without even jacking up the car! In the trunk and back off the jamnuts and tighten the nut until the bushing is fully compressed even with the washers or slightly larger than the washer! The best fix is a poly bushing, but when you hear that clunking and chirping sound that the upper bushing sliding and banging against that upper strut mount. Just tighten them up a little more and the proplem will go away! I had to do a little bit of tweaking after I installed my Progress/Illuminas set up! Warning don't spray rubber with any petroleum based fluids it will eventually destroy/soften your bushings!
What polyurethane bushings did you get? Got a link?

I had a question about your fix to the problem too. Hopefully someone can answer. On the rears, and unlike the front, once i reach a certain torque on the center nut, i can't go any tighter. The strut shaft starts to turn with the nut. Is this normal?

Last edited by huffdaddy2008; 04-16-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:03 AM

looks familiar - http://www.nissanforums.com/a32-1995...ll-w-pics.html
Old 04-16-2008, 06:44 AM
the org...not what it was

Yes, I re-positioned the the distance tube that goes through the bushings back to its normal position.
ah ha, I see.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:21 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

This may sound kinda funny, but I also get a different sound while driving. Mine sounds like playing cards mounted on the forks of a 10-speed bicycle (I did this when I was a kid) and having the cards make noise thru the spokes of the wheel when riding the bike...
Old 04-16-2008, 10:37 AM

^ That's a sweet mod. I want mine to sound like that. Is this constant or just when you go over bumps or what?

Last edited by huffdaddy2008; 04-16-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:47 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

^ That's a sweet mod. I want mine to sound like that. Is this constant or just when you go over bumps or what?

it is constant. if im driving in a tunnel, you can hear it pretty loud from the echo.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:12 PM

Ah that brings me back to the old days with bikes the old playing card mod on a bike lol. I never considered that the strut piston would turn when tightening it. I guess I could use a vice gripe and tighten it down and it would stop the creaking sound. I am tired of every one asking what's in the trunk dude.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:19 PM

I think i might just try to redo my bushings. I think i can rent a spring compressor from Auto Zone. How hard is it to dismantle the rear struts compared to the front struts. I did the front struts on my 00 gxe with a tool I rented from napa compressing was easy the hard part was loosening the compressor. The compressor got caught between the spring and where the spring rest.

Quick Reply: Chirping Sound From Rear Suspension