3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Resurrecting Bose

Old 03-24-2007, 12:55 PM

Resurrecting Bose

I've been having problems with my rear passenger side Bose speaker. In trying to diagnose it I connected that speaker to the connection from the drivers side. It did still distort. Then I pulled the spade connectors from both speakers and connected the drivers side amp to the passenger speaker and nothing happened. Now when I put it all back together the passenger speaker still works, but distorted and the drivers side won't work at all now. Were the spade connectors on these speakers soldered? It was hard to get off, and these speakers are 1 ohm. Any ideas out there?
I don't want to change the system, just fix it.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by 92 Max
I've been having problems with my rear passenger side Bose speaker. In trying to diagnose it I connected that speaker to the connection from the drivers side. It did still distort. Then I pulled the spade connectors from both speakers and connected the drivers side amp to the passenger speaker and nothing happened. Now when I put it all back together the passenger speaker still works, but distorted and the drivers side won't work at all now. Were the spade connectors on these speakers soldered? It was hard to get off, and these speakers are 1 ohm. Any ideas out there?
Trust me...it is not worth the hassel...if you like the sound Bose give, then get some Infinity's. Much better high/mids. That is what I did after I realized someone stole the passanger side door speaker/bracket before I got the car >.<

If you are persistant on keeping the Bose Blows system, then get some eletrical testing equipment, and test the resistance, and voltage coming from the speaker wire and power line to the speaker amp. Then check the resistance on the speaker. This might be an easy way to diagnose the problem. For all we know, your deck may have problems, which I would put as the likely culprit since these decks seem to fail frequently.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:48 PM

You might have shorted out the drivers side speaker amp when you were switching the wires to test on the other speaker

The passenger speakers distortion is almost definetly related to a failing amplifier.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:08 PM

Replacing Bose, need to know where to route new amp power wire???

I got the same distortion from my passenger side front speakers and both of my rears. The Bose amp totally failed and I only have one working speaker (front left). Unfortunately, I believe that your Bose system is toast.
I am in the process of gutting mine, I suggest that you do the same.

Now for my question...
I just purchased an aftermarket CD/Cassette system with 4 new speakers of the way around as well as a 4ch amplifier, but I am unsure of a suitable spot to run the power wire for the amplifier which will live in the trunk.
Does anyone know of a pre-existing hole for which to route the amp power wire from the (battery) in the engine bay? Did everyone that added an amp have to drill a hole through the firewall? If so, where did you drill?
Anyone have any insight or suggestions? I am not new to radio installs, but this is my first amp install.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:12 PM

I couldn't find a hole big enough to run my 6 gauge power wire so I drilled a hole on the drivers side near where my aftermarket alarm wire runs through the firewall. I then ran the wire under the carpet/door sill area under the rear seat.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:30 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I also wanted to keep my bose system alive for a few years after purchasing my ve..Trust me,it just isn't worth it,once you fix one amp/speaker,than here comes a another problem....Just get rid of it,you wont regret it..

You can find some great deals on ebay on aftermarket hu's/speakers/etc..
Old 03-24-2007, 03:43 PM

If your looking to save moneys by repairing it. It's not going to happen.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:39 PM

The first thing I do to every car I have owned is replace the factory crap stereo and speakers. My Nissans Bose didn't work from the start, rear speaker was blown with a hole right through it. I tried to get the old speakers out but that was way too much work taking out the rear shelf. End result was making speaker boxes.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:24 PM

Sad part is this was a great system when it worked. It was well designed for the acoustics of this car and had good bass and sound.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:41 PM
mod or sell?

if you have patience you can easily fix it.
it just takes patience and some solder, and on occasion spare pieces.
I've never fixed mine because it was cheaper for me to swap it out (free stereo bits FTW). If I had to spend the money, I would have just fixed the bose.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:30 PM

Sad part is this was a great system when it worked. It was well designed for the acoustics of this car and had good bass and sound.
It really isn't, people think Bose is some awsome company because of their Jetsons font. For a stock system, it's okay, but it definitely isn't a "great" system. The reason it sounds good is because of the car, not the stereo. All stereos sound good in the max. When it works it's decent, but aftermarket is really the way to go.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by Hectic
It really isn't, people think Bose is some awsome company because of their Jetsons font. For a stock system, it's okay, but it definitely isn't a "great" system. The reason it sounds good is because of the car, not the stereo. All stereos sound good in the max. When it works it's decent, but aftermarket is really the way to go.

Maybe it was a decent stock system in it's time, but the Bose in the 3rd Gen Maxima isn't very good, especially in reliability. The amps go out and the speakers are all thin paper.

It's definitely a good idea to save your money and go aftermarket.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is what to do with the 3rd gen Bose. It took parts of three cars to get enough working amps and speakers to build this. The head-end only works on radio-I use it in the garage.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:56 PM
94c Big Max

damn, that's a BRILLIANT idea!

Originally Posted by bhunter

This is what to do with the 3rd gen Bose. It took parts of three cars to get enough working amps and speakers to build this. The head-end only works on radio-I use it in the garage.