5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

tint

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

tint

is it true that i have to get a new back window if it is already tinted and i want to redo the tint? the guy told me i cant peel the old tint off it will ripe the defroster off. is this true????
Old 03-08-2007, 09:52 AM
我爱台湾

My suggestion is if you decide to do it yourself, be very careful when removing the tint. It can be done but is a PIA. However I do know that if you do damage the rear defrost across the back windows, some auto stores like Kragen, Autozone and maybe Pep Boys carry a repair kit for the rear defrost.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:07 AM

I had my old tint removed and replaced a few months ago. My defroster works fine, so yeah it can be done w/out replacing the window.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:50 PM
REXXX

if u were planning on making it darker, jus put another layer over your current layer..
Old 03-08-2007, 07:01 PM

I have tint over tint, just make sure they're a quality shop
Old 03-08-2007, 07:05 PM

I did mine just have to be verycareful....like it was posted earlier its a huge PIA!
Old 03-08-2007, 07:40 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

Take a black plastic trash back and cut it as if you were going to lay that as your tint. Spray some 409 on your back window and then press your trash bag over it. Let it sit for a while then start peeling.

It's a very long process but can be done if you take your time. Keep in mind it should be hot outside when you do this.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:16 PM

how much you selling your rims for
Old 03-08-2007, 09:21 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

Who? If it's me they are already gone. I now have 19" Axis Supermesh.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Lil 8

Originally Posted by 01MaxAE
is it true that i have to get a new back window if it is already tinted and i want to redo the tint? the guy told me i cant peel the old tint off it will ripe the defroster off. is this true????
how long has the tint u have on the window been on? they can use a tint remover, but it will need to sit for sometime to allow the film to bubble up and help to lessen it's hold on the defrost bars. any break in the bars and no rear defroster where the break is!!! Most tinters dont want to be bothered because 1. they dont make money removing tint, 2. they dont want to hear about rear defrost not working!!! Do you still have the warranty on the tint? Most places give a lifetime warranty for the tints.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:37 PM
I Know Kwaliti

My tint shop charged me $50 to remove all old tint... They did a great job and put on a new tint... No issues with any windows nor defroster...
Old 03-10-2007, 09:21 AM

Whoever told you that is an idiot.

There is a chemical that you can soak the window in and "sweat" the tint off, don't remember what it is but you can do the same thing with Windex. Soak the window/tint with windex and cover it with a black plastic bag and let the car sit out in the sun for a couple hours and the tint should come off nice and easy. I've re-tinted my cars w/rear defrosters a couple times.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:24 PM

i just got my windows tinted today for $150 and i think i got riped off....i requested 35% tint and the guy claimed he used llumar tint but i have the feeling he didnt cause the box the tint was in said advantage, the same name on the warranty he gave me. but i am going to check with their 1800 number tomorrow and see if they carry llumar tint. but any ways take a look at these pics and tell me if you think this looks like a 35% tint job, personally i think it looks about 40%+ but i could just be going paranoid....let me know what you guys think thanks a lot

Dark shot
Old 03-25-2007, 11:44 PM

You got ripped off...at best thats 50%....go get that sheit re-tinted...bext of luck!
Old 03-26-2007, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by PandaXpress
You got ripped off...at best thats 50%....go get that sheit re-tinted...bext of luck!
i agree 100%.

IMO it doesnt even look like its tinted at all!
Old 03-26-2007, 07:15 AM
Cletus

thats not even close to 35%

to compare, this is 25%

Old 03-26-2007, 07:18 AM
DONE

get a steamer. that's what we use at our tint shop to peel old tint jobs. it's a pain in the ***, but the steamer does make it easier. just work slowly and start at one point and work from there.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:13 AM

is there any chance it is 35 just a crappy brand? or is 35 35 regardless of brand and going to all look the same?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Cletus

35 is going to LOOK the same (its the percentage of visibility through the tint)
Old 03-26-2007, 08:38 AM

its definitly not 35%, the main tell is that you can see through both windows so clearly like that to the other side... i believe its 50%
Old 03-26-2007, 08:48 AM

well here are some day pictures, i thought maybe it was the flash that was making them look light in the pictures from last night, these are during the day with no flash....well i was saying do cheap tints understate there tint like car audio stuff? like say its 35 but it really looks 50 haha? like 100 watts is really 50 watts rms...i might just stop in to the po po station and have them test to see.....

Old 03-26-2007, 09:02 AM

Thats probably about 35%, I had them last summer, sometimes they looked pretty dark, and sometimes it looked like it wasn't tinted at all, its weird
Old 03-26-2007, 10:01 AM

thye look 35% to me. i removed my tint by peeling the tint off and scraping the glue with a squeege and windex, no razor. its probably easier if you put the garbage bag over it and let it sit. it was PIA but it worked. you DO NOT need a new window.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Lil 8

yea that isnt looking like 35% imo best at 50% get it re-done. Not sure about your tint legal laws I would do 35% up front and limo in the rear
Old 03-26-2007, 11:41 AM

damn yah i get different opinions from everyone i ask....but i guess ill stop in a police station and ask them to put a meter on it....but what really pisses me off is it is not the llumar tint i requested from the guy. he gave me a warranty for advantage tint and i thought well maybe it is a big tint warranteer but i called their number today and they said they did not carry it or warranty it so that in its self pissed me off enough so i am going to try and get them to cover it since i prob wont hear from the guy that tinted them ever again. grrrrr ive taken tint off before and it was a PINTA and prob wouldnt be worth the effort in the atlanta heat...
Old 03-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Time2go!

Yes, that looks like 35%.
No, You do not have to replace your rear window.
You can tint over it, if your tint guy knows what he is doing.
Did he use one piece of tint (known as tint shrinking) or did he old school it a.k.a. seam it?

The Easiest way to remove ANY tint without any scrapping is SWEAT it off.
(No Solvent ! No Razor baldes, No scrapping)

1st Cut a glad dark black trash bag the shape of your back window. This does not have to be perfect fit.
(From the outside)

2nd REALLY Wet down the inside of your back widow with lighty soapy warm water with a sprayer. An old windex spray bottle will do.

3rd Put the bag you cut out in the shape of your window in the back class (on the inside this time) Like you where tinting your window. FYI squeggie it out a little but not too much, just so it sticks. leave water under it.
I use duct tape to hold up the edges so it does not fall down.

4th Start your car, Turn Heat up full blast, Turn on Rear Defroster, and aim back window towards the SUN on a clear SUNNY day.
** You do not have to turn your car on if it is really Sunny like ATL or FLA.
But I did this in Jan in PA. Heater and Defrost where needed with a sunny day.***
( Not a night job)

Now sit back and let your car and mother nature do the work for you.
The heat conducted between the Black bag and your window will "sweat" the tint and glue right off your window.
Wait about an hour (have Lunch with a beer or 5).

<<Now that you are rested from Lunch and maybe have a little buzz>>

Open your back door and try and lift the top corner of your tint with your fingernail. If you can lift the egde very easy, like you where putting it on you are ready to go. Just lift the edge get a nice grip and you will be able to pull it off in one sheet. (Film, glue and all)

No you have removed your tint (NOT TINTS) without and tools.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:08 PM

well i went to a tint shop today and the guy said it looks 35% so maybe i was just expecting it to be darker...and he said the guy did a decent job putting the tint on but he had not heard of advantage come to find out advantage is its own tint company and i called them and knew the guy that put tint on my car and said they dont carry any llumar tint and that the guy definitely lied to me if he said he put llumar on the car. but that there is nothing they can do for me except have a talk with the installer haha but the manufacture insists that advantage tint is just as good as llumar...ya right, and that it has similar characteristics that make it as good as llumar, its just no one has heard about them because they have only been around for 6 years. does anyone know of or ever heard of advantage tint? the guy at the tint shop said if it comes with a life time warranty chances are its a good tint...any feed back is appreciated. thanks
Old 03-26-2007, 03:01 PM

not true, i took tint off my rear window twice and everything is fine. make sure its a warm day out when you do this
Old 03-26-2007, 06:01 PM

if you want it to look darker but still be able to see try getting the windhield tinted 35% also. i got 35% on all windows it looks great and the tint on the windhield helps block the sunlight and headlights at night. as far as removing the tint another trick is to peel the tint and use a real fine steel wool like 00 grade and and window cleaner takes the glue off pretty quick w/o messing up defrosters.it also works well on the outside to get out waterspots and make the windows look new again
Old 03-26-2007, 07:51 PM

my friend did that and he got pulled over within 3 months and got a hefty fine im wanting to keep it all legal...here in ga its 35% all around no tint on the windshield
Old 03-26-2007, 07:57 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by aja656
. but any ways take a look at these pics and tell me if you think this looks like a 35% tint job, personally i think it looks about 40%+ but i could just be going paranoid....let me know what you guys think thanks a lot
Dude, there is no way you can visually tell the difference between 40 and 35%....seriously.

Also the % is the light transmittance, not the "darkness" necessarily. How dark it "looks" also depends on the color of the tint, the metal content in the tint, etc." For example, instead of a black/smoke tint I used a greenish, high-metal-content tint. So it doesn't look as "dark" on my car even though it actually stops more heat/UV than a cheaper black/smoke tint that looks darker.

btw, tint in my sig is 50% and you can see it is not very dark (my rear windshield is 35% but you can't see it in my sig0
Old 03-26-2007, 08:03 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by trigger005
its definitly not 35%, the main tell is that you can see through both windows so clearly like that to the other side... i believe its 50%
you are wrong

Originally Posted by ManUtd18
i agree 100%.

IMO it doesnt even look like its tinted at all!
you are wrong as well

Originally Posted by PandaXpress
and....you are wrong too, FTL.

I can't believe you are all making judgements because:
1. the photo quality sucks
2. the photos are taken at night
3. the tint can look darker or lighter depending on brand/color/metal content/quality, yet still register 35% on a light transmittance meter
4. the tint can look darker or lighter depending on interior color of the car. A car with black interior will look like it has much darker tint than a car with tan interior and the same tint.

Also, stop acting like 35% is dark. It's not really that dark.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:04 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by soonerfan
thats not even close to 35%

to compare, this is 25%
Jason, as we have discussed in person before, yours looks even darker because of your black interior (and mine looks even lighter because of my tan interior).
Old 03-26-2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by aja656
i just got my windows tinted today for $150 and i think i got riped off....i requested 35% tint and the guy claimed he used llumar tint but i have the feeling he didnt
Looks stockalicious.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
Jason, as we have discussed in person before, yours looks even darker because of your black interior (and mine looks even lighter because of my tan interior).

"Thats probably about 35%, I had them last summer, sometimes they looked pretty dark, and sometimes it looked like it wasn't tinted at all, its weird"

-Originally posted by ME FTW MWAHAHAHAHA
Old 03-27-2007, 05:48 AM
Time2go!

Originally Posted by maximumobsesion
As far as removing the tint another trick is to peel the tint and use a real fine steel wool like 00 grade and and window cleaner takes the glue off pretty quick w/o messing up defrosters.
DO NOT USE ANY STEEL WOOL OF ANY GRADE INSIDE WHEN YOU REMOVE TINT! You will leave little very tiny wool hairs that WILL get between your window and your new tint. You will not see them UNTILL your new tint dries / cures to the glass. Outside glass is fine and is perfect for waterspots, bugs and tar.

Trust me on this one, My buddy is has his own business and all he does is Automotive, Commerical, Residential and is a professional.

Little wool hairs are the fist sign of a rookie tinter.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:03 AM
Lil 8

yea u will see small spider like lines under the tint film it will make u pull ya hair out for sure!!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Turbo'd Saab

When i got my tint done they did the front window banner and I love the way it is this is some older pics of mine 30% front 10% back the legal limit hahaha coppers!!!

btw anyone hear any rumors about the sunroof exploding if you tint the sunroof I'm curious cause they wouldn't tint my sunroof and i wanted to do a full mirror effect to blind those damn SUV drivers hahaha jk
Old 03-30-2007, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by SilMax00
When i got my tint done they did the front window banner and I love the way it is this is some older pics of mine 30% front 10% back the legal limit hahaha coppers!!!

btw anyone hear any rumors about the sunroof exploding if you tint the sunroof I'm curious cause they wouldn't tint my sunroof and i wanted to do a full mirror effect to blind those damn SUV drivers hahaha jk
your sunrooof wont explode but if tinted it could cause it to crack. i've tinted a couple of my sunroofs but only a real light tint just to be safe. i tint for a living and dont usually tint my customers sunroofs just for liability reasons.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:57 AM
Turbo'd Saab

is there any reason behind it for why it would crack? I'm really curious as to why

Quick Reply: tint