3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

New Phenolic Intake Spacers are now available!!

Old 02-19-2007, 02:06 PM
NWP Engineering.com

New Phenolic Intake Spacers are now available!!

For the past year, I've been running my own business called Nissan Works based out of Eastern NC. I just finished creating a new product that is now available for sale.

Nissan Works Phenolic Intake Spacer Kit for the VE30DE Maxima

Included is everything you need to install the kit:

- 1/4" Phenolic Upper Intake Manifold Spacer
- 1/4" Phenolic Throttle Body Spacer
- 1/8" 6061 Aluminum EGR Block Plate
- Throttle Body Coolant Bypass Fitting
- Lengthened Zinc Plated Grade 8 bolts and washers
- Rear Exhaust Manifold EGR Deletion Block Plug
- EGR Solenoid Vacuum Fitting Cap
- Full Color Installation Instructions with Photos

I have also conducted full testing on my product including intake manifold temps and dynos. Each test session took place over one hour and includes racing the car during 8 dyno runs and allowing the car to sit at idle for 30 minutes.

Using over 300 temperature readings from various points, the test results show an average upper intake manifold temperature decrease of 40 degrees at idle and up to 60 degrees while cruising.

I also did 8 dyno runs before and 8 dyno runs after with a system called Home Dyno. Home Dyno is software that takes the spark plug pulses using an inductive pickup and puts them into a laptop. Once this data is recorded, it uses the car's parameters to calculate acceleration, therefore calculating Horsepower! This system is just as accurate as a chassis dyno, in fact, it's more accurate when you take into account you are actually accelerating on the road.

Please note that ALL my dynos were done with the same weather conditions, same road, same routine, and same vehicle parameters.

So, the gains shown in the dyno results ARE true and as accurate as you would see on a chassis dyno. Both sets of dyno runs were done on a fully hot motor after a half hour of racing and idling.

I used every rpm point for each of the dyno runs, averaged them out and plotted the point. After doing this for all the rpm points on all 16 dyno runs, this dyno chart was created to show true average power increases.

This intake spacer kit will not allow you to install your EGR system due to the 1/4" rise in the upper intake manifold. So you must use the EGR Block Plate that is included. Depending on demand, I will offer a replacement EGR Tube that will allow you to keep your stock EGR system with this spacer kit.

The Nissan Works Phenolic Intake Spacer Kit is now available for sale and will be priced at $145 plus $8 shipping via USPS 2 day Priority Mail.

If you want just an EGR Block Plate Kit, the block plate, bolts and hardware, EGR solenoid vacuum cap, and exhaust manifold plug are also available for sale. These kits will cost $35 plus $6 shipping.

Those who have bought anything from me in the past know I offer the absolute best customer service possible! You will NOT be disappointed! Satisfaction is guaranteed!!

I accept credit card payments via Paypal at adogg18@hotmail.com and personal checks and money orders.

Please note that this thread is to discuss all your questions pertaining to this product. So feel free to ask any questions you may have. If you want to discuss sales specific issues, I have created a thread in the classifieds section.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=511523

As always, email or PM me and I will answer all your questions.

Thank you,

Aaron
Nissan Works
www.NissanWorks.com
aaron@nissanworks.com
Old 02-19-2007, 02:09 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Whoa! What a surprise!!!!....

Old 02-19-2007, 02:12 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Whoa! What a surprise!!!!....
I didn't want to post about this until I had all my R&D and testing complete.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:17 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I didn't want to post about this until I had all my R&D and testing complete.

Yeah i know,i was just p/w through...

Great price btw,i will buy one for my new[to me] engine..
Old 02-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For the past year, I've been running my own business called Nissan Works based out of Eastern NC. I just finished creating a new product that is now available for sale.

Nissan Works Phenolic Intake Spacer Kit for the VE30DE Maxima

Included is everything you need to install the kit:

- 1/4" Phenolic Upper Intake Manifold Spacer
- 1/4" Phenolic Throttle Body Spacer
- 1/8" 6061 Aluminum EGR Block Plate
- Throttle Body Coolant Bypass Fitting
- Lengthened Zinc Plated Grade 8 bolts and washers
- Rear Exhaust Manifold EGR Deletion Block Plug
- EGR Solenoid Vacuum Fitting Cap
- Full Color Installation Instructions with Photos

I have also conducted full testing on my product including intake manifold temps and dynos. Each test session took place over one hour and includes racing the car during 8 dyno runs and allowing the car to sit at idle for 30 minutes.

Using over 300 temperature readings from various points, the test results show an average upper intake manifold temperature decrease of 40 degrees at idle and up to 60 degrees while cruising.

I also did 8 dyno runs before and 8 dyno runs after with a system called Home Dyno. Home Dyno is software that takes the spark plug pulses using an inductive pickup and puts them into a laptop. Once this data is recorded, it uses the car's parameters to calculate acceleration, therefore calculating Horsepower! This system is just as accurate as a chassis dyno, in fact, it's more accurate when you take into account you are actually accelerating on the road.

Please note that ALL my dynos were done with the same weather conditions, same road, same routine, and same vehicle parameters.

So, the gains shown in the dyno results ARE true and as accurate as you would see on a chassis dyno. Both sets of dyno runs were done on a fully hot motor after a half hour of racing and idling.

I used every rpm point for each of the dyno runs, averaged them out and plotted the point. After doing this for all the rpm points on all 16 dyno runs, this dyno chart was created to show true average power increases.

This intake spacer kit will not allow you to install your EGR system due to the 1/4" rise in the upper intake manifold. So you must use the EGR Block Plate that is included. Depending on demand, I will offer a replacement EGR Tube that will allow you to keep your stock EGR system with this spacer kit.

The Nissan Works Phenolic Intake Spacer Kit is now available for sale and will be priced at $145 plus $8 shipping via USPS 2 day Priority Mail.

If you want just an EGR Block Plate Kit, the block plate, bolts and hardware, EGR solenoid vacuum cap, and exhaust manifold plug are also available for sale. These kits will cost $35 plus $6 shipping.

Those who have bought anything from me in the past know I offer the absolute best customer service possible! You will NOT be disappointed! Satisfaction is guaranteed!!

I accept credit card payments via Paypal at adogg18@hotmail.com and personal checks and money orders.

Please feel free to post any questions you may have. You can also PM or email me.

Thank you,

Aaron
Nissan Works
aaron@nissanworks.com

GL with the biz. Aaron. I rem. searching for phenolic spacers awhile ago after seeing your mods list. Never heard of the term before either. Impressive HP results considering the low investment.I'll purchase a kit when the weather warms up.

GL again!
Old 02-19-2007, 02:50 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Brudda Bob
GL with the biz. Aaron. I rem. searching for phenolic spacers awhile ago after seeing your mods list. Never heard of the term before either. Impressive HP results considering the low investment.I'll purchase a kit when the weather warms up.

GL again!
Thank you.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:54 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

#1 on the list
Old 02-19-2007, 06:19 PM
kthxbye2u

I got my spacer kit
cant wait to put them on, they look AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
the instructions are an awesome add on
and the EGR delete is so simple

very very good job on doing your R&D with this product you created
im so excited!!!

thanks aaron
Old 02-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Not to sound stupid, but would you consider making something like this for the VG? or is there already something like it through the 300zx applications? I only ask considering future HP mods and how this would complement them.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:06 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by mrkanda
Not to sound stupid, but would you consider making something like this for the VG? or is there already something like it through the 300zx applications? I only ask considering future HP mods and how this would complement them.
I will definitely consider making a kit for the VG Maxima if there is enough demand for it and I think there is a power gain to be had.

xxMarshallxx, glad you are happy. Please let me know if you have any questions during the install process.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:22 PM

+1 for a VG kit. I've got all the current bolt-ons that offer any power gains and would definitely buy a kit if you offered it!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:31 PM

I know we have talked about this, but I think it would be a great kit for 4th gens. Specially for those that are not planning on doing 00vi. and for the price, this is a great mod to have. Some people pay similar prices for just a damn CAI that is probably not as effective cuz ur getting colder air in from outside engine bay but the intake manifold is heating the air back up lol.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:38 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
I know we have talked about this, but I think it would be a great kit for 4th gens. Specially for those that are not planning on doing 00vi. and for the price, this is a great mod to have. Some people pay similar prices for just a damn CAI that is probably not as effective cuz ur getting colder air in from outside engine bay but the intake manifold is heating the air back up lol.
Oh for sure! I am sure these spacers will help the 4th gen guys that have either the stock intake manifold or the MEVI. I will need someone to allow me to do some testing on their 4th gen in Eastern North Carolina. If somebody is interested in donating their car for dyno runs and the development of these spacers, I will provide a 50% discount on a set of these spacers.

I am located less than an hour east of Raleigh, NC.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:04 AM
STFU n00b!

YGPP!!!

I'll get you some 'real' dyno runs on it as well since I'll be doing another baseline on this engine before installing cams.
I have a stock VE manifold as well (I ported the crap out of the one on my car now), and I'll install it with that one just to make the comparisons more equal..
Old 02-20-2007, 05:07 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

good job Aaron...you really did your homework instead of just making bogus claims.

If I wasnt selling my car I would definitely buy one.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:30 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Yeah, Aaron... Good job on this! Too bad I don't have my VE anymore, or this would be on my "must-have" list. But like mrkanda said, if/when you DO decide to put one together for the VG, I'd definately be willing to get one. Thanks for the support of the 3rd gens!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:28 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
YGPP!!!

I'll get you some 'real' dyno runs on it as well since I'll be doing another baseline on this engine before installing cams.
I have a stock VE manifold as well (I ported the crap out of the one on my car now), and I'll install it with that one just to make the comparisons more equal..
Please keep in mind that this dyno graph was taken with 16 comparison dynos. I wanted to make sure I got a GOOD average comparison with the same conditions.

I saw gains as low as a couple HP and as high at 8HP! And I saw torque gains as low as 6ft-lbs and as high as 12ft-lbs. But on all the individual dyno runs, there was a gain throughout the entire power band!

And I made sure the motor was HOT HOT before started the back to back dyno runs. I let the car warm up excessively and cooling fans cycle on and off a few times, then raced the car around the block several times. After about 30 minutes of heat soak, I started the dyno runs, which made the intake manifold heat up even more. Then I let it sit at idle with the hood closed for another 30 minutes and tried to get the intake manifold as hot as possible.

The hotter the ambient temp is, the better these spacers will work. It's in the summertime that people experience heat soak in the VE. That's when you will notice the biggest gain in performance with these spacers.

So I made the test as fair as it possibly could be. And I found, even on a cool motor, there is a good gain to be had! And I was surprised top end horsepower saw no loss at any point! I figured the lengthened intake runners would have shifted the power band and hurt top end performance. But it doesn't!

Also, you will see that these spacers are matched perfectly to the upper intake manifold. If you have done any port work to your IM, then you will need to port the spacers also. DO NOT breath in this dust while you are porting the spacers! Wear a mask at the very least!

Thanks for your business Matt. These will ship out today and should arrive by Thursday.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Alex_V

Wow Aaron thats awesome! I would love to have a set for my VG. Id definitely buy one if you offered. It wouldn't be until this winter but I would. Id be interested in one for my VQ30 but thats not going in a 4th gen and I'm not sure of hood clearance...

But more about this dyno software! YGPM

~Alex

Old 02-20-2007, 08:36 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Wow Aaron thats awesome! I would love to have a set for my VG. Id definitely buy one if you offered. It wouldn't be until this winter but I would. Id be interested in one for my VQ30 but thats not going in a 4th gen and I'm not sure of hood clearance...

But more about this dyno software! YGPM

~Alex
Yeah. I'm sure I can get my hands on a local VG30E Maxima. They are everywhere. If someone wants to drive to my shop in Walstonburg, NC, then I will definitely come up with something. I will need to use your car for dyno runs.

About the dyno software, I answered your PM. I don't want to get off topic. If someone starts a new thread, I will be happy to answer all your dyno software questions!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:46 AM

Aaron,

I will be purchasing a kit next month when I get my taxes. Please hold onto one for me. It seems these will be selling like hotcakes.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:50 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by SeaMAX
Aaron,

I will be purchasing a kit next month when I get my taxes. Please hold onto one for me. It seems these will be selling like hotcakes.
Yeah, I'm about to make my first run to the post office to fulfill a couple orders already.

I will make more when my stock starts getting low. At the very worst case, you'll have to wait for a week while I have more made.

Thanks for your interest!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:51 AM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

I wonder how well this will work on a turbo car? I'm working on a 3.5 swap right now, any plans on making one for the VQ35DE? I need to lower temps as much as possible.
Choray
Old 02-20-2007, 09:02 AM
mod or sell?

My car came with them stock
Old 02-20-2007, 09:03 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by choray911
I wonder how well this will work on a turbo car? I'm working on a 3.5 swap right now, any plans on making one for the VQ35DE? I need to lower temps as much as possible.
Choray
It will work BETTER on a turbocharged car. Just like every other mod out there.

But this will definitely help a ton with intake temps! Since the motor generally runs hotter with turbocharged applications, it will be able to lower the intake manifold temps even more!

And the part is good for about 300 degrees! If you're experiencing lower intake manifold temps of 300 degrees, that means your oil and coolant is about 330 degrees. Haha You have bigger things to worry about!

And also, the part is made of a VERY strong type of phenolic. It's as hard as the surrounding aluminum and also expands at the same rate! So sealing problems won't be an issue, even on high manifold pressure applications.

I think they make a spacer kit for the 3.5 350z, but the intake manifolds are different, right?

But didn't I hear about someone making a kit for the 3.5 Maxima? If they don't make one already, I'm sure I can make the kit.

All I need is to arrange for someone to come out to my shop and let me do my testing.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:04 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by internetautomar
My car came with them stock
What car is that?
Old 02-20-2007, 09:07 AM
mod or sell?

the 93 STS. later models didn't get them. only like 93/94 northstars did.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

I hate to poo on the party but let's keep the FS stuff in the FS section.

Aaron i assume you posted in the 3rd gen FS section...if not please do so. further discussions of sales and $ will be directed there. This thread should be only for product info only.

if this is going to be vendor GD sale then please talk to sprint/doug on being a sponsor.
Thanks!
Old 02-20-2007, 09:15 AM
NWP Engineering.com

the 93 STS. later models didn't get them. only like 93/94 northstars did.
That's awesome! Even the manufacturers know the importance of keeping intake manifold temps down!

That must be one of the biggest reasons why the 00vi is plastic.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:16 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by DanNY
I hate to poo on the party but let's keep the FS stuff in the FS section.

Aaron i assume you posted in the 3rd gen FS section...if not please do so. further discussions of sales and $ will be directed there. This thread should be only for product info only.

if this is going to be vendor GD sale then please talk to sprint/doug on being a sponsor.
Thanks!
Yeah, I posted in the FS section already. I started this thread solely for product information.

I will try my best to keep it on topic!
Old 02-20-2007, 01:11 PM
mod or sell?

That's awesome! Even the manufacturers know the importance of keeping intake manifold temps down!

That must be one of the biggest reasons why the 00vi is plastic.
most manufacturers switched over to plastic manifolds for cost and weight savings.
GM is about 99% plastic as is ford. some designs hold up just fine others don't
Old 02-20-2007, 01:15 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

most manufacturers switched over to plastic manifolds for cost and weight savings.

I just sold a 4.0 engine from a 00 ford exploder,[customer engine swap] it had a plastic intake plenum...
Old 02-20-2007, 02:10 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I see. Regardless of the reason, having a plastic intake manifold or phenolic intake spacers really helps lower IM temps.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:59 PM

As soon as you make a spacer kit for the VG you have my money!

With the spacers and nitrous my intake should be pretty damn cold and i should be able to get some killer times and hp numbers if im not mistaken. (colder denser air = more hp?)

Please hurry and make some for the VG!!!

Great looking product and way to thuroughly test it to have proven results!!!

Also good luck with the company!
Alex
Old 02-20-2007, 03:01 PM

+1 on the VG version. Let me know when it's available... and I'll get around to purchasing it. Probably about the time I get around to putting the engine back in... which won't be this year
Old 02-20-2007, 03:07 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Maximahappy22
As soon as you make a spacer kit for the VG you have my money!

With the spacers and nitrous my intake should be pretty damn cold and i should be able to get some killer times and hp numbers if im not mistaken. (colder denser air = more hp?)

Please hurry and make some for the VG!!!

Great looking product and way to thuroughly test it to have proven results!!!

Also good luck with the company!
Alex
They will definitely increase power on the VG! Especially if you can bypass the coolant from flowing through the Upper Intake Manifold and the Throttle Body. If you can, then there some be a huge gain from my spacer kit for the VG. Probably bigger gain than the VE.

And yes, colder air does equal more HP!

I hope someone volunteers to allow me to use their car for testing. I just need to get in their car, do a few dyno pulls and take some temp readings. Then look around the engine bay to make sure it's possible to install these spacers. Then I get my hands on spare intake manifolds to base my CAD drawings off and then get these parts CNC'd.

Then the person who offers their car to be a test vehicle will get a huge discount (I'm thinking 50% off), free labor for me to install them, and more dyno pulls and temperature testing to prove the before and after results.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:35 PM

After looking through all you've done, I'm almost thinking you invented the maxima. Good stuff man! I was wondering...what would blocking the egr benefit the overall performance/emissions and what are the downsides? Probably have higher NOX readings blocking it im guessing....
I think I might get the ve kit this spring, we'll see....
Also...how do you block the coolant for the upper intake? I know how to do a throttle body bypass, but not sure of the upper IM bypass.

Thanks for all your hard work man!
Old 02-20-2007, 06:58 PM

I offer you a challenge, Aaron...Have the VG parts ready to go before Maxus...Seems like a lot of people want them...Gimme!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:34 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by JakeDilingo
After looking through all you've done, I'm almost thinking you invented the maxima. Good stuff man! I was wondering...what would blocking the egr benefit the overall performance/emissions and what are the downsides? Probably have higher NOX readings blocking it im guessing....
I think I might get the ve kit this spring, we'll see....
Also...how do you block the coolant for the upper intake? I know how to do a throttle body bypass, but not sure of the upper IM bypass.

Thanks for all your hard work man!
Thanks.

Blocking the EGR will prevent hot, dirty exhaust gases from recirculating back into the intake manifold. Yes, some say that the EGR valve is closed at WOT, but it still heats up the IM quicker. So it's better to block the EGR.

But the MAIN reason why an EGR block kit is included is b/c once my spacer kit is installed, the intake manifold will be raised a 1/4". Therefore, the EGR tube will not connect anymore.

For those that must undergo emissions testing and don't want to have to uninstall the spacer every year, I will be offering a replacement tube. I hope to have one ready for sale in a few weeks.

The downside to blocking the EGR is that you probably won't pass emissions without it. It's possible, but not likely.

Also, on the VE, there is no coolant flowing through the intake manifold. So there's no reason to bypass it.

But there is coolant flowing through the TB. All you would do there is remove the two coolant hoses from the TB and connect them together.

Note: I have added my instructions to my website, NissanWorks.com

Here is the link for you to download the Document file:

http://www.nissanworks.com/Phenolic_Spacers.html
Old 02-20-2007, 07:40 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by maxitech
I offer you a challenge, Aaron...Have the VG parts ready to go before Maxus...Seems like a lot of people want them...Gimme!!!
June 22nd? I can easily have these ready before then if I find a test vehicle candidate! If I had a test vehicle at my shop tomorrow, I'd have these spacer kits made, tested, and ready for sale in less than a few weeks. It's a lot of work!!! But I'm a hard worker!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:57 PM
kthxbye2u

lol us VE guys get something and you guys want some too!!!!

j/k

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Phenolic Intake Spacers are now available!!