All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Wb o2 time..

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 03:25 PM
dot dot dot ...

Wb o2 time..

Looks like it's that time again, but this time for me. I have a laptop, so datalogging is definately a plus.

I like the wideband commander but the price is a touch steep for what I want ...http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...5&postcount=32

I've narrowed it down to these, but I'm open for suggestions.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm1.php

The LM-1 also features two analog outputs to connect to analog gauges, dyno computers, ECUs, piggyback controllers, and other devices with analog inputs. Analog output 1 comes setup from the factory ready for narrowband simulation; analog output 2 is configured as 1 volt = 10 AFR (.6 lambda) and 2 volts = 20 AFR (1.3 lambda). With the provided LM Programmer software these analog outputs may also be configured by the user.
The RPM Kit ($429) is comprised of the basic kit plus the LMA-2 (RPM Converter.) This cable contains a circuit to convert a tach signal into an analog RPM signal that can be logged by the LM-1. This cable also has 4 additional terminal screws to tap into and log other 0-5 V analog sensors from your vehicle
I want to be able to see MAF v, TPS, ECT, and obviously A/F, all with respct to RPM. Any one have experience with this unit, and if so, is it able to log ECT data? I don't think it would since it only monitors voltage, but the v may convert to T since it is a thermister IIRC. Anyhow...

The LC-1... Does it do what the LM-1 does? And if so, is the difference? Beside the gauge...

And is the PLX-300 even worth a look?

here's another interesting find
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...35&postcount=5

And of course we have the ever so popular and affordable :

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm

I do not believe it is possible to get data from MAF, or ECT with this. Can anyone confirm? TPS, RPM, A/F are in there though. I would get the gauge since it's semi-cool to look at . and this thread also says a lot about it.

LCD can't keep up and it's very small. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=379626

Really serves no purpose, since data-logging is what I really want. If I got the Zt w/no gauge, then well, hell that would be a good deal, but no MAF data..

I do plan on getting the Cipher or Autoenginuity for more detailed data logging, but that's for another thread later this year.

For now (this week into next), I plan on purchasing one of the above WB's. At this point, I'm leaning toward the LM-1 or Zt2.

Any experienced input is appreciated.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:24 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
And is the PLX-300 even worth a look?
I have not tried the other products you mentioned, but I am VERY happy with my PLX-300. It gives me a display and it's LINEAR! Which means it works great with the software I use to datalog it (Zemulator).

I have had this wideband o2 sensor setup installed in my car since Jan 2004. So it's made me happy for over 2.5 years of continual daily driven abuse!

I remember paying $339 shipped for the PLX-300.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Need A Light?

whats ECT?

as far as I'm concerned, Innovate LC-1 will do great for the price they go for...if you get the LM-1, it does become pricey, since you mentioned you wanted to know RPM (which requires that converter)
Old 10-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Boss Chen Industries

hmm... if you're talking about EGT (exhaust gas temp) then the Zeitronix can do that also. I haven't had problems with any LCD delay.

The zeitronix can display the following w/out additional hardware: A/F, TPS, Lambda. Boost and EGT require additional sensors. It only reads RPM but doesn't display it
Old 10-29-2006, 11:29 AM
dot dot dot ...

ECT = Engine coolant temp.

IMO, a/f > EGT.

Originally Posted by Larrio Motors
It only reads RPM but doesn't display it
Re: the data logs? So it doesn't display in real time, (RPM), just on the data logs?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:54 AM
SLOW

I used a borrowed LM-1 for a while and was not happy with it at all. Thing is farking huge, you can't put it anywhere and certainly wouldn't want it in the car except for the time that you're actually tuning, workmanship on the thing was less than spectacular and like 2 days after I returned it to my friend (I used it for like a week) the power plug broke off the inside of it because there is no bracing for it whatsoever. The only thing holding the power plug in place on the board is the tiny *** soldered leads which is a complete joke. After that experience I wouldn't spend my money on an LM1.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:06 PM
dot dot dot ...

thanks for the input Nealoc. I think I remember that thread. The only reason you got it fixed was because a friend of an uncle or something owned or had the supplies needed to fix that sort of thing. (soldering etc)..
Old 10-29-2006, 01:51 PM
SLOW

thanks for the input Nealoc. I think I remember that thread. The only reason you got it fixed was because a friend of an uncle or something owned or had the supplies needed to fix that sort of thing. (soldering etc)..

Yeah MikeD's uncle worked at motorola and did all sorts of circuit board work and just happened to be there the day it broke the first time, so he fixed it, held for a little while and then broke again. very poor design. since the thing is so huge and has a removable power plug wire (just like a laptop computer power wire) you have to unplug and plug it in alot if you move it from one car to another or don't want to leave it in your car to be stolen, and the soldered plug is just not sturdy enough to hold up to that, and I even noticed it was a little wobbly so I was very gentle every time i plugged it in. didn't matter and it broke very quickly like i said.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Boss Chen Industries

ECT = Engine coolant temp.

IMO, a/f > EGT.

Re: the data logs? So it doesn't display in real time, (RPM), just on the data logs?
Yep, no real time RPM readout on the LCD... only on the datalog.

I got a blitz R-VIT unit and it reads:
MAF
Injector duty
ECT
RPM/Speed
Timing
etc, etc... whatever the ECU reads it reads.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:39 AM
dot dot dot ...

Does that blitz unit do data logging as well? USB PC hook-up, ort just real time? from my quick , doesn;t look as if it can hook-up to a laptop.

Also, what other purpose does it serve, just monitoring, since I'm not boosted, and no need for the boost stuff?

I was planning on picking up either the Cipher or Autoengeniuty for monitoring other parameters, but if this blitz unit can record/monitor, then it seems to be the better bargain.

Ahh I see it records up to 99 seconds... But no PC hook-up?
Old 10-30-2006, 06:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm happy with the PLX M-300 also, right at $300 when I got mine earlier this year. Very small unit/display (unlike the innovate products), linear, has outputs for EU later down the road.
I monitor everything thru the consult port with ODBscantech so I didn't need much more than the m300.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:26 AM
Boss Chen Industries

Does that blitz unit do data logging as well? USB PC hook-up, ort just real time? from my quick , doesn;t look as if it can hook-up to a laptop.

Also, what other purpose does it serve, just monitoring, since I'm not boosted, and no need for the boost stuff?

I was planning on picking up either the Cipher or Autoengeniuty for monitoring other parameters, but if this blitz unit can record/monitor, then it seems to be the better bargain.

Ahh I see it records up to 99 seconds... But no PC hook-up?
The blitz unit data records up to 99 seconds, but can't hook up to a labtop. It's just for monitoring purposes only, I use it for my coolant and intake temp on the track and use the warning indicator on the RPM read out as a shift indicator. The only reason I got it was because I initially planned to use the Blitz R-FIT (their version of the S-AFC) since the two units send info via infared so less wiring issues. However the Greddy Emanage Ultimate is the same price or cheaper than both units together.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:49 AM
3.5 in the works

The new Zt-2 is linear output, and I don't have the LCD so can't comment on that but for datalogging with a laptop, the Zt-2 is very fast and will display and log in real time: RPM, MAF, TPS plus Boost/EGT (which you don't really need). File size is not an issue, as long as you have enough disk space on the laptop.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:35 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by DandyMax
for datalogging with a laptop, the Zt-2 is very fast and will display and log in real time: RPM, MAF, TPS
The ticket is nearly sold...
Old 10-30-2006, 12:40 PM
3.5 in the works

And I forgot to mention it above but obviously it logs/displays AFR as well...
Old 10-30-2006, 12:49 PM
SLOW

Do you have EU or am I thinking of someone else?

I don't know how much the ZT-2 is with display and all that, the R300 seems similar in functionality -but it can datalog 90 minutes of data on the unit itself you don't need a lap top hooked up. It can datalog 6 parameters at a time (4 analog inputs and 2 speed inputs). It also has a warning light which you can set to warn if a certain parameter gets out of the range you want it, or you can use as a shift light which is cool.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:55 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Do you have EU

(4 analog inputs and 2 speed inputs).
Can you explain further?

the R300 seems similar in functionality -but it can datalog 90 minutes of data on the unit itself you don't need a lap top hooked up
I have a laptop, so that's not a big deal. but this PLX-R300 seems very similar to the zt2.

IIRC you have the M500 correct?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:45 PM
SLOW

Check PLX's website about the inputs, it gives examples of the sorts of things you can hook up. I have the R500.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:49 PM
dot dot dot ...

Looks like there's some new light at the end of the tunnel..

Originally Posted by DandyMax
display and log in real time: RPM, MAF, TPS plus
Couldn't find on their website where the MAF was dataloggable . I see you can insert some user inputs, but whenever dealing with voltage, it's dsiplayed as a %, and only has room for 1 input. As I would like to log both TPS & MAF against RPM of course.

Check PLX's website
I like the PLX R300.

Are all these paramters available for montiring/logging?
From the website it seems as if so.
Vehicle Speed (MPH/Kmh) Ignition Pulse (RPM) Shaft Speed Sensors PLX G Sensor
Throttle Position (TPS) MAP Mass Air Flow Sensor Brake Signal
Air Intake Temp (AIT) Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT)
The PLX unit is obviously better. Way more features and such.

The Zt is more of a bargain. Although they both cost ~ the same when the zt is purchased with the gauge display.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:39 PM
3.5 in the works

You bring the MAF in on the user input as a voltage. The TPS comes in on a separate line and displays as a %. I don't find it necessary to have a % for the MAF, voltage is good enough.

The Zt-2 is not necessarily the most featured unit, but bang for the buck it's pretty good if you don't need the LCD. (ie if you have a laptop/EU etc it's fine)
Old 10-30-2006, 07:02 PM
dot dot dot ...

So with a laptop, MAF/TPS/A/F are available for real time veiwing/logging?
Interesting....
Old 10-30-2006, 07:35 PM
3.5 in the works

So with a laptop, MAF/TPS/A/F are available for real time veiwing/logging?
Interesting....
Yessireebob.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:33 PM
SLOW

With the PLX you can log 6 things at once, two speed inputs which are things like vehicle speed and injector pulse width (which really isn't terribly useful in an NA app I don't think) and 4 analog inputs. One of those inputs will be taken up by the AFR reading, one will be taken up by your RPM reading (assuming you want to see both of those) so that leaves two other inputs that you can use for MAF and TPS, or switch those two out for any other 0-5V inputs you want. With the new firmware on the R500, you can read actual values (not just Voltages) for your inputs, I don't know if the R300 does this too but I think it does - probably says somewhere on the site. This is big for me because when I get motivated I'm going to hook up either the IAT or ECTS to the unit, the FSM shows the voltage curves and what values correspond to what voltages, and then I'll be able to see actual coolant or air intake temps on my datalogs and on the unit itself which I think is pretty neat. Of course since i have emanage I can also log a ****load of variables through it, but I haven't messed with that much.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:53 AM
3.5 in the works

Neal once you get the EU you'll have a ton of datalogging capability, including all those things you mentioned.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:18 AM

I think it would've been great if Greddy had made a datalogging interface to where you could pull up a screen that displayed your a/f, timing, etc. on a digital (or analog) virtual gauge or something to that extent. I hate the small datalogging font, especially on my 7" carputer screen. That way, there is no need for in car gauges, you can have it all on your computer screen, and it will be easily readable when driving. I wonder if I could hack my LogWorks2 program to somehow display the EU readouts...
Old 10-31-2006, 08:17 AM
dot dot dot ...

Anyone know a better soruce for purchasing PLX items?

I found the price for the R300 anywhere from $393 - 427, vs the PLX website @ $480.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:44 AM
SLOW

Streetrays.com or .net or whatever it is is where I've purchased both of my R500s from. I would buy from them again, good transaction a++++ /ebay lol

With the R series, the software interface is pretty cool, like someone else mentioned they'd like to see with emanage, you can create custom gauges to output on your computer screen in many different formats.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:49 AM

With the R series, the software interface is pretty cool, like someone else mentioned they'd like to see with emanage, you can create custom gauges to output on your computer screen in many different formats.

I'm going to try to write this program, or have someone else write it/modify the LogWorks2 source code for me. I'm also working on making some other stuff for the maxima community related to the EU.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:41 AM
dot dot dot ...

I like the PLX R300.
Streetrays.com

Waiting for tracking #.... ...

Originally Posted by GoaliKeg
I'm also working on making some other stuff for the maxima community related to the EU.
Much appreciated.