All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

question about dek swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 05:46 PM

question about dek swap

im interested in the dek swap just wanted to know the difficulty of it and the parts i would need.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sigh ... donate and search. Do the 3.5 swap instead.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:28 AM

Degree of difficulty.........about the same as learning the clarinet.
All kidding aside, it depends upon your frame of reference. If you have 2 left hands, only a pipe wrench and hammer in your tool kit, and a room temperature IQ, forget it.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:27 AM

Oh please ... I have said it a thousand times. The 3.5 swap is NO harder then the DEK swap except reinstalling the CAMS with adapters and swapping timing cases. I have said it in like 2 threads ... the things that you have to do to the DEK have to be done with the 3.5 swap anyway.

Pathfinder TB ... recommended with DEK/00VI anyway

Soldering on injector harness ... OH BOY THIS IS A DIFFICULT ONE ... has to be done with DEK swap

Tee-ing off fuel line and installing an AFPR ... Count me out on plugging hoses into ports ... I think my unborn sister can do this.

Remount IACV ... HAHA ... has to be done with DEK swap too.

Extend ignition coil harnesses by rewrapping them ... I think I will employ my unborn sister again for this one.

That was everything that has to be done ... this swap is NO harder then the DEK swap. We really need to dispel this myth. If you cannot install CAMS and bore out a timing case hole then I really don't think you are mechanically inclined to do a DEK swap.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:40 AM

I have done the de-k but am probably going to do the 3.5 over Christmas break if i can find a good motor for the right price. If not, ill go with the de-k again because I found a really good deal on a really low milage motor. The de-k is really easy and doesnt take as long as 3.5 due to the timing case part of the install. but then again the gains are tremendous over de-k and there is a lot more room to get more power. If you dont know what you're doing tho..you MIGHT be able to get away with the de-k..but I wouldnt try. If your motor aint broke..dont mess it up. becuase if/when sometime goes wrong you will be bummin and be like man my car worked just fine b4 I had to go and do this. So def think it through b4. GL!!
Old 09-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by scrhale
Oh please ... I have said it a thousand times. The 3.5 swap is NO harder then the DEK swap except reinstalling the CAMS with adapters and swapping timing cases. I have said it in like 2 threads ... the things that you have to do to the DEK have to be done with the 3.5 swap anyway.

Pathfinder TB ... recommended with DEK/00VI anyway

Soldering on injector harness ... OH BOY THIS IS A DIFFICULT ONE ... has to be done with DEK swap

Tee-ing off fuel line and installing an AFPR ... Count me out on plugging hoses into ports ... I think my unborn sister can do this.

Remount IACV ... HAHA ... has to be done with DEK swap too.

Extend ignition coil harnesses by rewrapping them ... I think I will employ my unborn sister again for this one.

That was everything that has to be done ... this swap is NO harder then the DEK swap. We really need to dispel this myth. If you cannot install CAMS and bore out a timing case hole then I really don't think you are mechanically inclined to do a DEK swap.
then u will have no problem comming to NY and doing mine for me since its so easy
Old 09-25-2006, 09:34 AM

Ha not quite. No where in there did I say I was mechanically inclined enough to do it. Granted if I had ALL Summer/Winter to do it and the proper tools to then yes.

I am almost all talk and gave that big speech in relative terms. For the side projects ... they are easy. I can solder injects, bore a hole, probably install cams, remount IACV, and all that fun. But I cannot pull the engine.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:54 PM

Well I can pull the engine, and put it back in, and a lot of other stuff, btween u n me Scrhale we should do this! I have a shop a little west of atlanta..well its my cousins but im plannin on the 3.5 and mdeezy is probably going to help. So ill let you know when n where if you want to come learn/help 1st hand..
Old 09-25-2006, 08:15 PM

DAMN ... if yall find the right weekend (ie. one without a UGA game [home]) then I would DEFINITELY be down for that.

I am not the most mechanically inclined, but I consider myself very knowledgable on the subject. If you guys can point and label parts then I can definitely help. The learning would be invaluable. DEFINITELY let me know when this is happening.

I am a UGA student, but my house is in Alpharetta. I should be able to manage coming down any weekend.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:20 PM

ok I will let you know. It will be over Christmas Break, because I am a student at Liberty university in Virgina right now but will be back there (atl) over Christmas
Old 09-26-2006, 04:15 AM

That is perfect. I am usually bored or drunk over Christmas so I have plenty of time to spare.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:00 AM
Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by scrhale
Ha not quite. No where in there did I say I was mechanically inclined enough to do it. Granted if I had ALL Summer/Winter to do it and the proper tools to then yes.

1.) I am almost all talk and gave that big speech in relative terms. For the side projects ... they are easy. I can solder injects, bore a hole, probably install cams, remount IACV, and all that fun. But I cannot pull the engine.
haaaaaa...i am just playing with ya....i know its not uber hard stuff to do...i am just lazy and look for the easy way out
Old 09-26-2006, 06:51 AM

On a side note Matt ... we should attempt a full 3.5 swap. This is provided you are willing to fess up the money to do it. To be honest I think it will only add about another day of downtime. To physically get the engine to start and rev, all you need is the ECU, main harness, and Engine harness.

The Engine harness comes with the engine. ECUs can be found everywhere. The problem is getting a hold of an A33B manual harness (I am hoping you are manual). Auto harness is more complex and includes the CAN system which is a nightmare and a half.
Let us know what you think. Maybe we can beat Nismo to the full 3.5 swap .
Old 09-26-2006, 08:07 AM

I was definately throwing around the whole 3.5 swap idea, but after looking into what all had to be done I got discouraged. I even have a mechanic at nissan who wants me to do it and he will help. after reading that everything is connected thru the ecu..Like EVERYTHING in the car and all the re-wiring that had to be done i thought it would be very difficult. and yes im a 5spd. which I dont think the 3.5 manual ecu/harness will read or work with my 5spd?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:15 AM

Um no ... not everything does NOT go through the ECU. That is all BCU. Manual ECUs do not know which gear you are in so it doesn't matter. BUT since you are swapping to full 3.5 then it is recommended to use the 6 Speed. You will be doing some welding if you don't. You would have to weld the timing thing or whatever that is on the flywheel onto the 5SPD I think. Let me find my thread and it lists EVERYTHING that goes into the ECU.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:24 AM

hmm..there is a lot of fabrication with the 6spd isnt there?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:26 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=487345

That is the thread I started. Some nice info in there. Look at posts 9 and 16.

About the 5Spd ... there is info about that. I think it was eng92 that says in there "the A33B crank timing ring has to be adapted to the A32 flywheel if you are planning to keep the 5MT transmission."

This implies that the A32 flywheel will be used when doing a full 3.5 swap and keeping 5MT versus purchasing the 6MT ... this will cut a significant amount of cost and is actually, in terms of performance, faster, but less highway economy.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:11 AM

so if I could get the motor/ecu/key/egas pedal from the same car for a decent price, I can use my 5mt. That should work? what else needs to be bought? how do you adapt the timing ring?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:26 AM

Welding to adapt the timing ring. Look up "using 6MT with partial 3.5 swap" subjects. It would be the reverse process.

Well you are missing the difficulty to find an intact main harness and the price of it. Otherwise else nothing. Go back to the thread I linked. eng92 explains how he used a "resister network" to get his steering cruise control network to retain Cruise Control.

Oh I forgot ... you will need the gauge cluster from an 02/03 and we will need to use some 9V power supply I believe to set that.

Did you include the immobilzer box in there? You will need to get an AFPR I think and t-off the return-style fuel system.

I do not believe the power steering pressure sensor from the A32 is compatible with the A33B ecu as I stated in that thread. Also look up the "unknowns" on my post #16 in there. I am not sure how those missing sensors may affect the ECU.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:31 AM

I should add this statement:
About 90% of what is needed to run the car physically is included with the engine. MAF, Fuel rail/injectors, cam/cranks sensors, and the engine control harness
Old 09-26-2006, 10:06 AM

yeah I dunno about doing the whole swap..ill let you know what i decide