5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

a few favors for those with 5.5 gens

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

a few favors for those with 5.5 gens

My car has been acting quite different than normal lately (the past two months) and I think it's maybe a vacuum issue. I'm trying to diagnose the issue so for those of you with 5.5 gens, help would be greatly appreciated.

First, I want to know how your idle feels. Turn the car on with the A/C off and put your hands on the wheel. How much vibration do you feel, if any? Then turn the A/C on. Is there a big difference in vibration? My idle used to be amazingly smooth and you couldn't tell when the car was even on, but now (mainly with the A/C on) I get quite a bit of vibration.

Second, and this one is rather weird, but pop the hood and with the engine running, put your ear up to the line that leads to the PCV valve (if you don't know where this is, just don't worry about it). Is there a whistling noise? I took my blowby catch can off, because I heard a VERY loud buzzing/whistling noise (noticable from far away) and the noise is still there even after I removed it, though more subdued. It was not doing this when i first installed the catch can, so I want to see if i might have a leak in that line, as i can't really tell.

The issue I'm having mainly occurs when the A/C is on. For one, my idle is very rough. Secondly, if I'm in gear with the RPMs >1500 and I put in the clutch to put it into neutral, my idle drops to ~450, shakes really bad and pops back up.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:41 AM

I've always noticed a pulsing sensation at idle with both my 5.5 gen. I don't think the 3.5 idles that smooth. But my car idles the same regardless of the A/C being on or off.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:45 AM

i got no vibration whatsoever. but then again, i just got the car like that from the dealership (used)
Old 08-21-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
I've always noticed a pulsing sensation at idle with both my 5.5 gen. I don't think the 3.5 idles that smooth. But my car idles the same regardless of the A/C being on or off.
that's what i wanted to know...when i turn my A/C on it feels like I have ES motor mounts and cams or something...when it's off i do feel that pulsing sensation...it'll vibrate on and off, but it's MUCH less noticable when the A/C is on...
Old 08-21-2006, 11:49 AM

No vibrations or whistling noises that I can hear.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
No vibrations or whistling noises that I can hear.
thanks for your reply. I'm going to take it into nissan and see what's going on...i knew that my car wasn't acting normal
Old 08-21-2006, 11:50 AM

My idle is fine, but when the A/C is on, specifically when the fan speed is 1 or 2, i can hear some weird whistle/squeak sound. It goes away on and off, but its annoying.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:01 PM
No More Maxipad

ya i do feel a slight pulsing in idle but sometimes there's no pulsing and can't hear the engine at all. sometimes it'll feel like the car isn't even on but then i crank the starter and it gave me that nasty sound =/ oh i don't notice any more vibrations with a/c on than when off. i only hear the fans. plus i think the car feels smoother with the a/c on for some reason o_O it drives smoother too.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:41 PM

well i just did the ECU reset procedure, Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning Procedure, Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning Procedure, and the Idle Air Volume Learning Procedure with no luck...still same old shaky idle and it still dips to ~450 after revving it....I also replaced the line to the PCV valve and it still makes the whistling noise. Nissan here i come. Hopefully it won't take too long or cost me anything
Old 08-21-2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by lowincash
ya i do feel a slight pulsing in idle but sometimes there's no pulsing and can't hear the engine at all. sometimes it'll feel like the car isn't even on but then i crank the starter and it gave me that nasty sound =/ oh i don't notice any more vibrations with a/c on than when off. i only hear the fans. plus i think the car feels smoother with the a/c on for some reason o_O it drives smoother too.
exactly. I get the pulsing sometimes and it's only noticable thru the steer wheel. My 02 did this from new so when I got my 03 i figured it was normal
Old 08-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Cletus

i get that pulsing and assume its because of the the drive by wire throttle
Old 08-21-2006, 01:03 PM

Yeah I think people are confusing pulsing with a rough idle. My idle is smooth as silk but the pulsing is something different. Maybe it is the drive by wire. It's just wierd, but it doesnt really both me
Old 08-21-2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
Yeah I think people are confusing pulsing with a rough idle. My idle is smooth as silk but the pulsing is something different. Maybe it is the drive by wire. It's just wierd, but it doesnt really both me
no i understand what you mean by the pulsing, and yes my car has done that from the start. But now my idle is a very noticable vibration. A local maxima.org member who has ES motor mounts and JWT cams even said my idle was pretty rough and my car is stock....and it's noticably worse with the A/C on.