All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

00VI PCV Valve setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 06:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

00VI PCV Valve setup

for those of you with the 00VI and using the 4th gen rear valve cover, how is your PCV valve setup?

if you have the part#'s and where you purchased from as well to get it to work that would be great as well. thanks.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:23 AM
Bacon Lover

I bought a 90 degree bend one and then hacked some height out of it, so it's about 2 or 3mm shorter than our normal one but still exits to the side. I don't know if it works yet, since I haven't done the manifold install, but judging by my measurements it SHOULD work. Up until now all I've been told is "don't bother, just modify the rear valve cover," so I'd be happy to see who else has done an actual normal PCV valve setup without modifying the cover.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:54 AM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by Tatanko
I bought a 90 degree bend one and then hacked some height out of it, so it's about 2 or 3mm shorter than our normal one but still exits to the side. I don't know if it works yet, since I haven't done the manifold install, but judging by my measurements it SHOULD work. Up until now all I've been told is "don't bother, just modify the rear valve cover," so I'd be happy to see who else has done an actual normal PCV valve setup without modifying the cover.
I did something similar. It works fine. I still get 21-22 on the vacuum gauge at idle which is normal. Don't just put the bend into the grommet though, make sure it's a snug fit. If it isn't add some bulk to the circumference of the elbow by epoxying or siliconing the outside of it... something of that nature. The weight of the 00VI on top will keep it in place also.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by DandyMax
I did something similar. It works fine. I still get 21-22 on the vacuum gauge at idle which is normal. Don't just put the bend into the grommet though, make sure it's a snug fit. If it isn't add some bulk to the circumference of the elbow by epoxying or siliconing the outside of it... something of that nature. The weight of the 00VI on top will keep it in place also.
Mine is actually the same size as the stock PCV valve. I even compared them side by side. It'll fit snug just fine. It just happened to be very tall and have a 90 degree bend, which I wanted, so I hacked out some of the tubing in the middle so I'd have something smaller/same height as stock but with a bend.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:42 AM
3.5 in the works

Mine is actually the same size as the stock PCV valve. I even compared them side by side. It'll fit snug just fine. It just happened to be very tall and have a 90 degree bend, which I wanted, so I hacked out some of the tubing in the middle so I'd have something smaller/same height as stock but with a bend.
Ok sounds good I just mentioned it FWIW not knowing what you were using.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Bacon Lover

Ok sounds good I just mentioned it FWIW not knowing what you were using.
Well it is good to know someone else has managed to make it work. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2006, 12:23 PM

Well it is good to know someone else has managed to make it work. Thanks!
tatanko-

i saw you post up about your pcv in another thread, correct? did you get it from advance auto or where?

and how is it holding together after you jb welded it?

i might have to do the same setup, unless i find something else or anybody else did something different.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by aznsap
tatanko-

i saw you post up about your pcv in another thread, correct? did you get it from advance auto or where?

and how is it holding together after you jb welded it?

i might have to do the same setup, unless i find something else or anybody else did something different.
I got mine at Advance Auto, correct. What I did was I had my friend look up the part # for a replacement one for our cars, then I had him look for one with an identical sized base and everything else that had a 90 degree base.

When I compared the two I thought, "Hmmm, not sure if this is going to be short enough." So what I did was cut everything off from the base on up, then hacked the 90 degree bend/tube at the top off as one unit, then JB welded that nipple/bend at the top to the base overtop of the hole where the valve sticks out. So effectively what I did was remove length inbetween.

The valve has yet to be on my car, so I can't say for sure how well it works, but I didn't do anything to it other than remove length on the tube. I've pushed on the valve to make sure it can come out, and it still has 1mm or so clearance from the top of the tube. You can beat the living crap out of it though and it holds tight, the JB weld works nicely.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:58 PM

Can you replace it without removing the upper plenum?
Old 08-08-2006, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by jmeister
Can you replace it without removing the upper plenum?

i've pulled mine out w/o removing the 4th gen upper. if you managed to have the pcv valve on below the 5th gen upper, i don't know how you would be able to remove it w/o removing the 5th gen upper, unless you have super powers.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Banned

ok guys heres a quick one, if I got the 00 rear valve cover, I go into Autozone and tell them "I need a PCV valve for a 2000 Nissan Maxima." ? does that sound right?
Old 08-09-2006, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by goldtooth
ok guys heres a quick one, if I got the 00 rear valve cover, I go into Autozone and tell them "I need a PCV valve for a 2000 Nissan Maxima." ? does that sound right?
Yes, but to be honest the 00 PCV is the exact same as the 4th gen. It just how the two different valve covers position the PCV. One is vertical and the other is horizontal.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:45 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by speed racer
Yes, but to be honest the 00 PCV is the exact same as the 4th gen. It just how the two different valve covers position the PCV. One is vertical and the other is horizontal.
I asked for one when I went to the store to see what it looked like (forgetting how the 00 rear valve cover is oriented) and it looks identical to a 4th gen.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:11 AM

how is everybody else's setup? i know there's a lot more than just a few guys out there w/ an 00VI using a 4th gen valve cover.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Banned

so I can transfer the PCV valve from my current rear valve cover to the 5th gen rear valve cover? (It's somewhat new, 1 year old, I got it replaced last summer)
Old 08-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by goldtooth
so I can transfer the PCV valve from my current rear valve cover to the 5th gen rear valve cover? (It's somewhat new, 1 year old, I got it replaced last summer)
You SHOULD be able to, yes. They're so cheap, though, why not just replace it while you're at it?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:27 AM

i don't know how you would be able to remove it w/o removing the 5th gen upper, unless you have super powers.
So a simple PCV valve change becomes a task. I'll just stick to not running one then, been fine that way for the past yr.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Bacon Lover

So a simple PCV valve change becomes a task. I'll just stick to not running one then, been fine that way for the past yr.
And how exactly have you gone about doing that? Just curious. My friend with a DSM does the same thing but I've never exactly figured out how.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:09 PM
3.5 in the works

You can always put the PCV in line with a hose and bring it out from under the manifold. Voila, easily accessible.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Bacon Lover

You can always put the PCV in line with a hose and bring it out from under the manifold. Voila, easily accessible.
How do you keep a hose tight in that hole?
Old 08-09-2006, 12:24 PM
3.5 in the works

No no use the elbow in the hole and seal it as per the other posts, then attach a hose and run it out from under the manifld, then the PCV...
Old 08-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Bacon Lover

No no use the elbow in the hole and seal it as per the other posts, then attach a hose and run it out from under the manifld, then the PCV...
I don't remember seeing these other posts, perhaps I'll have to have a look...
Old 08-09-2006, 07:18 PM
3.5 in the works

I don't remember seeing these other posts, perhaps I'll have to have a look...
Sorry I just meant what we talked about earlier in this thread. If your elbow is the same size as the PCV valve and fits snugly in the grommet then you're fine.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Bacon Lover

Sorry I just meant what we talked about earlier in this thread. If your elbow is the same size as the PCV valve and fits snugly in the grommet then you're fine.
How exactly would I go about removing the actual metal valve from the elbow'd PCV valve? If I didn't, it would almost defeat the point, wouldn't it?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:46 PM

dandy, where can you get this elbow from? is it a metal elbow? or hard rubber?

and about removing the pcv, entirely, how is it done and is it safe to do?

if it's safe to remove and easy to do, maybe i'll just do that, but finding an elbow doesn't seem like a bad idea either.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:17 PM
3.5 in the works

How exactly would I go about removing the actual metal valve from the elbow'd PCV valve? If I didn't, it would almost defeat the point, wouldn't it?

Oh crap I just realized I was mixing something up. For some reason - don't ask me why - I probably just read too quickly earlier (I was at work)... but I was thinking you were using an elbow as in a heater hose elbow or similar and not a 90° PCV valve. But now I see what you're doing... in that case your PCV would still be under the manifold.

I'm talking about getting an elbow.. just a plain 90° fitting, a hard plastic heater core type elbow for example, that will fit the grommet (or that can be reworked slightly to fit) and then run a hose out from that to the PCV valve.

Sorry for all the confusion.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Bacon Lover

Oh crap I just realized I was mixing something up. For some reason - don't ask me why - I probably just read too quickly earlier (I was at work)... but I was thinking you were using an elbow as in a heater hose elbow or similar and not a 90° PCV valve. But now I see what you're doing... in that case your PCV would still be under the manifold.

I'm talking about getting an elbow.. just a plain 90° fitting, a hard plastic heater core type elbow for example, that will fit the grommet (or that can be reworked slightly to fit) and then run a hose out from that to the PCV valve.

Sorry for all the confusion.
Ohhh I see. Well, maybe I will try that route then. I'd still like to see an explanation on how to do without a PCV period, though.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Banned

how much does that oil separator on the PCV line cost? and how effective is it, in doing what its supposed to do? how often do you have to empty the separator, if ever?
Old 08-09-2006, 09:18 PM

Ohhh I see. Well, maybe I will try that route then. I'd still like to see an explanation on how to do without a PCV period, though.

ya, getting rid of the pcv would be nice, wouldn't it? but then again, if it's safe to do, that's news to me.

dandy, where exactly did you get the hard plastic elbow from? an auto parts store or a hardware store? if i go that route, it would probably be best to take my pcv valve in and get an elbow of the same outer diameter, huh?

thanks.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:49 AM

When I was test fitting the upper I forgot to remove the PCV and ended up cracking it off. It left the nice rubber piece in the valve cover and part of the plastic of the PCV but everything was flush with the top of the valve cover. So I just inserted a piece of hose down inside the remaining opening of the PCV, snug fit, and ran the length of hose leaving the other end open. Seems to be working fine, not dumping any remnants of oil anywhere & I assume it's getting the required ventilation when needed.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:01 AM
Bacon Lover

When I was test fitting the upper I forgot to remove the PCV and ended up cracking it off. It left the nice rubber piece in the valve cover and part of the plastic of the PCV but everything was flush with the top of the valve cover. So I just inserted a piece of hose down inside the remaining opening of the PCV, snug fit, and ran the length of hose leaving the other end open. Seems to be working fine, not dumping any remnants of oil anywhere & I assume it's getting the required ventilation when needed.
Interesting...another possible way of doing things.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:08 AM

that is interesting.

i think i'm going to try dandy's suggestion and find an elbow w/ the same outer diameter as the pcv valve.

so nobody has found a pcv valve that is a direct swap huh? that's unfortunate.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:59 PM

Anyone know the size of it?
Old 02-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Bacon Lover

The size of what?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:20 PM

PCV valve..
Old 02-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Bacon Lover

Are you asking so you know what size of valve to buy, or a fitting to replace the valve in the valve cover? Just go to any parts store and ask for the proper valve (00+ if you're using inline or a 5th gen rear valve cover) or just use like a 3/8" fitting if you're replacing it with an elbow or something.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:10 AM
3.5 in the works

IIRC it's 5/8" on the fat side and 1/2" on the other... but don't quote me I'm just going from memory which is bad sometimes...
Old 03-04-2008, 09:53 AM

Have you thought about a catch tank...
I,m currently running a 90 degrees elbow with a single hose that get in the driver fenderwell directed to the ground. It stinks on stoplights but don't pollute my engine internals. In quebec, we don't have smog tests...
Old 03-04-2008, 08:23 PM

wow, way to bring back an old thread. i had a pic somewhere of the pcv valve clearance issues w/ the 5g upper even after i hacked the valve. i don't know where it went though.

i ended up going w/ the 5th gen rear valve cover.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Bacon Lover

i ended up going w/ the 5th gen rear valve cover.
Really, really easy to install while the manifold is off.

Quick Reply: 00VI PCV Valve setup