4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 12:49 PM

Upgrades?

I have a stock '97 manual. i was wondering what i should upgrade for power and style and in what order. money is kinda tight, meaning under 5k
Old 08-07-2006, 01:11 PM

I'm gonna warn you, you might get bashed because a lot of people on the forum won't help new people and will just yell at you to check the stickies or read through the forum. Just to keep yourself from being eaten alive here, make sure to do that. A lot of people here think there hot sh*t.

But to answer your question, heres a basic run through of what I've learned so far.

Performance
1) Get a Y-pipe. Either Budget or Warpspeed are your best bets. This is the best/cheapest mod for your car, roughy $200-250 for around 20 HP at the wheel
2) You can get an aftermarket intake, but for the most part, your best bet is stock. Gives you best performance overall, other intakes cause "bogginess" when you step on the gas. I would suggest a PR CAI intake if you want to go aftermarket.
3) from there, its just thr rest of the exhaust. The Greddy SP2 exhaust is IMO the best kit. You can also get a test pipe, b-pipe, and so on.

Suspension
1) Lower your car by getting some nice struts and springs. It gives your car way better handling, and it looks a lot better. I personally have not done this yet, so I can't give you price or best companies or w/e. Sry.

Looks
Do what you want. Don't ever let anyone on this site influence you in what you do to YOUR car. Personally I think when I finally get around to posting pics of mine I'm gonna get bashed left and right becuase its not as "rifined" of style, but I love my car and thats what really matters. The best body kits are going to be Stillen, along with a few other good ones. You might paint your dash, like I have, or buy a kit, but generally if you have the time and patience painting it is the way to go. Saves you a lot of money. You can get new wheels, tint your windows, get a sound system, the usual. Just do what YOU WANT and not what others tell you to.

Its up to you in what order you wish to do these, I would go performance first, cause you'll never wish you hadn't gained 20 hp, but you might not like how your car looks down the road. But to each his own. Its really what you want to do at the time. Best of luck to you, and happy modding!!
Old 08-07-2006, 01:11 PM

Thanks so much