All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

00VI Adapter Diagrams

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Bacon Lover

00VI Adapter Diagrams

I'm having a buddy make me IACV and TB adapters for my 00VI as a favor to me, but he needs something to work off of, especially since my manifolds aren't here yet. I have some vague pictures from Ceasar's gallery of the IACV, but an actual diagram would be better. I also have nothing on the TB (which I'm assuming is just a square with 8 holes on it). Can anyone help me out here? Even just a quick sketch?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:15 AM
Bacon Lover

Nothing?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I will be going through the same thing with my car very soon. My suggestion is to wait until your UIM shows up and make a template of the outside shape of the UIM neck and bolt pattern on a piece of poster board type material. Do the same from your IACV and then map out the dimensions from how things will be positioned in the engine bay. From that you (or your friend) should be able to come up with an adapter.

Doing it on your own is part of the fun, right? It is for me at least.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Bacon Lover

Ehh...I dunno about fun. I didn't think I was really going to need one so much for the TB, but the IACV I dunno...seems a little weird. I'm just trying to get an understanding from the pictures, but my friend has to machine these obviously and needs something to work off of.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:36 PM

So are you using the 4th gen TB and IACV? If you are, it should be fairly easy to make a shape and bolt pattern template from them to start. If I had an 00VI UIM, I'd sketch the templates for you.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by toddemullins
So are you using the 4th gen TB and IACV? If you are, it should be fairly easy to make a shape and bolt pattern template from them to start. If I had an 00VI UIM, I'd sketch the templates for you.
Yeah I'm using both of those. I should have my upper manifold on Friday.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:22 AM
Kevlo for President

Use the 4th gen IACV gasket and the 4th gen TB gasket as templates.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:45 AM

An even better idea Kev. As soon as I get my 00VI UIM and start the process of making my adapter, I'll be posting some pictures and make an offer to reproduce them (for a fee of course) for those who want to do the 00VI swap using the 4th gen. TB and IACV. Details to follow.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:49 AM

Awesome tatanko we'll be doing this at the same time. I also need those adaptor plates man so hook it up!! I'm gonna be using the 4th gen lower manifold too, what about you? Are you using both the upper and lower from the 00?
Old 07-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Use the 4th gen IACV gasket and the 4th gen TB gasket as templates.
Could work. Can you confirm this for me: the IACV has to have sort of a "dip" it in it on the side the actual IACV attaches to, right?
Originally Posted by chillin014
Awesome tatanko we'll be doing this at the same time. I also need those adaptor plates man so hook it up!! I'm gonna be using the 4th gen lower manifold too, what about you? Are you using both the upper and lower from the 00?
I'll see if I can't arrange for my buddy to make you a set (for a fee, of course...he owes me, that's why mine are free ). I'm personally using the 00 upper and 4th gen lower. Stephen Max has a spare 4th gen lower I had sent to him right now being drilled and machined.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Kevlo for President

Yes, make the inside of the adapter "recessed in"
Old 07-19-2006, 10:13 AM

Nearly all the adapters I've seen were simply a flat piece of plate with either a fitting or piece of tube feeding the air from the intake to the base of the IACV. Maybe I'm missing something, but what is the purpose of the recessed area?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:39 AM
Kevlo for President

Some of the earlier IACV's had these cup things in them. You can remove it IIRC. I wasn't too sure thats why I said to keep it recessed.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:43 AM

We need some pictures, cause now I'm wondering what they look like. If its a plate with holes in it...I've got some sheet metal a vice and a drille haha....jk..
Old 07-19-2006, 12:41 PM

Below is a link to a photo of the integrated spacer/IACV plate as fabricated for the PF TB swap:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ceasar...cd.jpg&.src=ph

Here is an IACV plate only that was fabricated by Stephen Max:

And finally, here is one that Kevlo is referring to with the recessed area:

Old 07-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Kevlo for President

Mine is the 1st one that is the 4th gen TB I had a big hole the size of the "cup"

I think I removed the cup.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Bacon Lover

God this is confusing with the cup crap lol. Oh well, I'll just have to wait til friday when my stuff gets here.

Kev, if I have said "cup," and remove it, do I need the recess? Or can I just make a flat plate with a hole on one side and a hose connector...thing...on the other side of the hole?
Old 07-20-2006, 06:10 AM

Probably the best thing for you to do Tatanko is to unbolt the IACV (should be fairly easy to do), pull it back a little and look at the base to see what's involved. From there, you can also take a piece of poster board material and trace a template for your plate. If you take the time to understand how the IACV works and how the plate will be made and have an accurate template, your buddy should be good to go from there. If he has a machine shop with all the right tools, he should be able to crank out a sweet product for you.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:44 AM
Bacon Lover

Probably the best thing for you to do Tatanko is to unbolt the IACV (should be fairly easy to do), pull it back a little and look at the base to see what's involved. From there, you can also take a piece of poster board material and trace a template for your plate. If you take the time to understand how the IACV works and how the plate will be made and have an accurate template, your buddy should be good to go from there. If he has a machine shop with all the right tools, he should be able to crank out a sweet product for you.
Yeah, that's probably a good idea. Maybe I'll try that this afternoon in my spare time. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2006, 06:59 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by Tatanko

Kev, if I have said "cup," and remove it, do I need the recess? Or can I just make a flat plate with a hole on one side and a hose connector...thing...on the other side of the hole?
Yeah, my memory is better today haha.
The cup has 3 screws. Remove it and throw it away. Yes you can use a flat plate. Drill a hole so a 10mm nipple will fit and use it.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Yeah, my memory is better today haha.
The cup has 3 screws. Remove it and throw it away. Yes you can use a flat plate. Drill a hole so a 10mm nipple will fit and use it.
I just took the IACV off my car here a little bit ago...it's still drying out from a good cleaning. I have the cup off, is it ok if I toss it away now, even with my 4th gen manifold?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Bacon Lover

Well I sketched up a diagram of the IACV, but it's a little difficult with the valve sticking out a little.

While I'm at it, I have some other questions as well. For example, where do I hook the IACV up to on the 00VI upper?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:16 AM

From what I've seen other people do, you either have to create a port on the UIM near the neck or drill and put a nipple on the adapter plate between the UIM and TB. You can see from the adapter (first link in post #15) - it serves both purposes.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Bacon Lover

Link doesn't work, but by looking at the 2 pictures in his gallery of the "ghetto" IACV I think I have a general idea. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:00 PM

Not sure if you're going to follow that method, but you may want to read up on idle issues and make sure you think ahead before deciding which method you use to attach the IACV. I'm certainly not an IACV expert, but I do believe position of the valve, air volume, and port size make a difference in the IACV function. I could easily be wrong though.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:18 PM

I took off my adapter plates but I truelly think the only way to get the 4th gen IACV to work is to use a nipple that provides a good amount of flow. I used a 3/8" barb fitting and I thought the flow was too little. I would hear the IACV allways clicking. When coming to a stop the rpms would be at 850 than drop to 600 RPM after a second or two. So the setup has to be done correctly if you are trying to get a functional 4th gen IACV.

Also, don't connect the hose coming out of the IACV to your Brake Booster Hose. That's a NO NO. Your brakes will most likely go out on you.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Bacon Lover

Not sure if you're going to follow that method, but you may want to read up on idle issues and make sure you think ahead before deciding which method you use to attach the IACV. I'm certainly not an IACV expert, but I do believe position of the valve, air volume, and port size make a difference in the IACV function. I could easily be wrong though.
I think I'm going to use the one in the pictures on Ceasar's gallery. I may cut the old one off and put in a larger port, though. I like the location because it's almost the same as on the 4th gen manifold.
Originally Posted by speed racer
Also, don't connect the hose coming out of the IACV to your Brake Booster Hose. That's a NO NO. Your brakes will most likely go out on you.
Just for reference, which one is that?
Old 07-20-2006, 05:43 PM

The Brake booster hose is the one closest to the firewall. It connects to the left rear side of the upper intake manifold as if you were facing the engine.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Bacon Lover

The Brake booster hose is the one closest to the firewall. It connects to the left rear side of the upper intake manifold as if you were facing the engine.
Sooo as long as I don't connect that to the IACV I'm fine? How does one make this mistake? Seems so hard to be so dumb
Old 07-21-2006, 07:18 AM
Bacon Lover

Also, one other question...where would I get the necessary PCV valve for the swap? Most write-ups I've seen say you need a new one that has a bend in it or something, but none ever list a part # or where they got it or anything.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:22 AM

Also, one other question...where would I get the necessary PCV valve for the swap? Most write-ups I've seen say you need a new one that has a bend in it or something, but none ever list a part # or where they got it or anything.
i'd like to know as well about the pcv. and the iacv adapter plate, it can't be totally flat on the internal side. the totally flat side you see on stephenmax's plates are the external side. even with the cup removed, you'll have to make a circular indention in the plate on the inside. sorry if that's not clear, i don't have a picture right now to show you, but i've taken out my iacv on my '95 and i can tell you a flat plate won't fit flush on the iacv, and the inside has to be "recessed in".

also, i'm looking for adapter plates as well, so toddmullins please do let us know when you can reproduce some plates.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:25 AM

im not sure waht the plate looks like but i saw this in an 00vi for sale thread. is this what yall are talkin about?

taken from http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=483040
Old 07-21-2006, 10:30 AM

im not sure waht the plate looks like but i saw this in an 00vi for sale thread. is this what yall are talkin about?

taken from http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=483040
that's exactly what i'm talking about. the external side can be flat, but the internal side has to have a recess, and that's after removing the metal cap with 3 small screws.

From what I've seen other people do, you either have to create a port on the UIM near the neck or drill and put a nipple on the adapter plate between the UIM and TB. You can see from the adapter (first link in post #15) - it serves both purposes.
so the plates that you're making, would it be possible to use a nipple that's larger than 3/8" on the iacv plate and the adapter plate between the UIM and TB? that would be the ideal setup in my opninion. 3/8" is a bit on the small side. and for the adapter plate between the UIM and TB, it has to be offset so the TB will have to be rotated around a little bit.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Bacon Lover

Yeah I figured out after removing my IACV yesterday and cleaning it and stuff that I needed a recess regardless of whether or not the cup was there.

Earlier I went to Advance Auto and asked to see a PCV valve that would fit a 2000 Maxima, and the one they brought me looked identical to my 4th gen one. But apparently ours don't fit? What gives? So I bought one the same size with a 90 degree bend in it and I'll modify it a bit if I have to (to make it's height a little smaller).

EDIT: I'm a tard.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:41 PM

Are you using the 5th gen rear valve cover or the 4th gen.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Bacon Lover

Are you using the 5th gen rear valve cover or the 4th gen.
4th gen.

10chars
Old 07-21-2006, 02:45 PM

Yeah I figured out after removing my IACV yesterday and cleaning it and stuff that I needed a recess regardless of whether or not the cup was there.

Earlier I went to Advance Auto and asked to see a PCV valve that would fit a 2000 Maxima, and the one they brought me looked identical to my 4th gen one. But apparently ours don't fit? What gives? So I bought one the same size with a 90 degree bend in it and I'll modify it a bit if I have to (to make it's height a little smaller).

EDIT: I'm a tard.
so whats the status on the plates and all that? you still waitin on your 00vi? mine should be here on the 25th.
once you have the tb and iacv adaptor plates and your modded LIM all you have to do is grind down the coil bosses and then your ready to go? or what.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:39 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=477210

Read the above link post #20. It shows a comparison of 4th and 5th gen. People have been able to get the pcv to work on a 4th gen. but if not done correctly you will have a vacuum link. For this reason its good to hacke the 4th gen rear valve cover so that it has a barb fitting horizontally.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Bacon Lover

so whats the status on the plates and all that? you still waitin on your 00vi? mine should be here on the 25th.
once you have the tb and iacv adaptor plates and your modded LIM all you have to do is grind down the coil bosses and then your ready to go? or what.
Yeah I actually have nothing at the moment haha. My upper manifold was supposed to be here today, but never showed. My lower manifold was shipped out from Stephen Max just today, so it's not here yet. Haven't had my buddy start making the plates yet because what I think I'm gonna do is wait til I leave for VA for a couple days and just give him everything (upper, TB, and IACV) and make it easier for him to fab everything up with it all sitting in front of him instead of using diagrams made of cardboard
I'm hoping to get mine to work without something as complicated as that. This is a ton of custom work as it is, I'd really hope I don't end up having to do that as well. I'm hoping I'll get the PCV I bought to work successfully.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:49 AM

Good luck. I just know that I went down the same route with try to get a 90degree PCV and it was getting hit by the bottom of the manifold and you can hear hissing.

Quick Reply: 00VI Adapter Diagrams