5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New oil catch can...less ghetto

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 10:06 AM
retired moderator

New oil catch can...less ghetto

Well, I got a bit tired of emptying the small "Home Depot" PCV oil catch can every 2 weeks, so I bit the bullet and spent $15 for a ebay catch can....it looks decent, build quality is good, much bigger, and came quickly. I built a new ghetto-bracket to hold it where I wanted it to go. Enjoy...nothing groundbreaking here, but just posting it for other people to copy location if you want...

Old 06-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think it was Steve88 that had an ebay one, and he said it did not catch nearly as much oil as the homedepot one... If you can update in a few weeks to let us know if it is catching as much.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Cletus

sweet!!!
now help me with mine
Old 06-10-2006, 11:02 AM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by upstatemax
I think it was Steve88 that had an ebay one, and he said it did not catch nearly as much oil as the homedepot one... If you can update in a few weeks to let us know if it is catching as much.
yeah...there are different styles, and some are not a good design. I got this one because it is baffled inside...
Old 06-10-2006, 11:17 AM

thats sweet, i might have to think about doing that too
Old 06-10-2006, 12:16 PM

Good lookin engine bay!
Old 06-10-2006, 12:46 PM

i didnt think the old one loked ghetto at all, i like the other one more!
Old 06-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Need A Light?

really? its baffled? damn, mine looked exactly like that...except different color...and it was empty as ****....the home depot one worked way better than my ebay POS

2002 Maxima SE also had problems with his ebay one...and it looked exactly like yours (different color too)....he originally started with the home depot one...then switched over to the ebay one...only to find out he wasn't catching ****...

well, update us with the results!
Old 06-10-2006, 01:57 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by steven88
really? its baffled? damn, mine looked exactly like that...except different color...and it was empty as ****....the home depot one worked way better than my ebay POS

2002 Maxima SE also had problems with his ebay one...and it looked exactly like yours (different color too)....he originally started with the home depot one...then switched over to the ebay one...only to find out he wasn't catching ****...

well, update us with the results!
I used the clear tubing on the hose to the TB, so I'll be able to see if oil is getting through there....
Old 06-10-2006, 02:00 PM

Hey irish44j do you have a link the the catch can you bought on ebay?
Old 06-10-2006, 04:32 PM
still brewin'

my home depot one seems to work until it fills half way in like 2 weeks. then it seems to just stop filling up. I have clear hose on both ends but I need to switch the inbound one to the catch can cause it compresses near flat at idle.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:18 PM
wat

Thats the same one my friend has on his SRT-4 and it does a good job.

He always makes fun of my catch can
Old 06-10-2006, 06:36 PM

so what is the average price people are spending on this project going through home depot for example?
Old 06-10-2006, 07:03 PM
still brewin'

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
so what is the average price people are spending on this project going through home depot for example?

Average price can run between $18 - $28 depending on store/items chosen. I know they can be purchased from Sears, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, AutoZone, etc. For what I used, it cost me around $20 for what I got. Of course I felt better knowing I put it together myself! I think I'm gonna make one for my 2nd gen for the hell of it to see how it works.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:03 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
Hey irish44j do you have a link the the catch can you bought on ebay?
it was an individual seller (bid, not "buy-it-now") so he didn't have any others. If you type in "oil catch can" about 200 will come up. Pretty much any of them will work, and you'll see ones that look just like mine...
Old 06-10-2006, 07:04 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by super6
i didnt think the old one loked ghetto at all, i like the other one more!
wasn't really a matter of looks....I just got tired of the little one always being full. Plus, the synthetic oil was eating away the plastic and it would get all milky looking inside and thick.....
Old 06-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

404: Home Depot decal not found.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:28 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
404: Home Depot decal not found.
yeah, I know...unfortunately, I can't be ghetto all the time!

I did, however, do a "Radio Shack" mod today as well.....will post more on that tomorrow
Old 06-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
home depot ones are typically $20 for all the parts, to do this project...check my write up for price listings..
Old 06-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by irish44j
wasn't really a matter of looks....I just got tired of the little one always being full. Plus, the synthetic oil was eating away the plastic and it would get all milky looking inside and thick.....
hey, you started to get problems with your bowl? i hope i'm not asking for too much, but can you take a picture of the bowl you were using? or did ya already throw it away? i'm also using synthetic motor oil...and want to be a little cautious...but i didnt really think it effected us...since i know alot of people run it with synthetic
Old 06-10-2006, 07:58 PM
retired moderator

hey, you started to get problems with your bowl? i hope i'm not asking for too much, but can you take a picture of the bowl you were using? or did ya already throw it away? i'm also using synthetic motor oil...and want to be a little cautious...but i didnt really think it effected us...since i know alot of people run it with synthetic
crap...I tossed it and it's somewhere deep in my trash can right now. The bowl says 'do not use with synthetic oil' so I figure there is something in synthetics that causes a reaction with that specific type of plastic.

in any case, it would basically get kind of "sludgy" and milky looking substance. I thought at first I had an antifreeze leak into the block, but I am 100% positive that is not the case. The white milkiness is NOT coming out of the engine, it is directly caused by some reaction in the bowl.

In any case, that wasn't really a concern of mine....I just got tired of emptying the damn things every 2 weeks!!
Old 06-10-2006, 08:09 PM
still brewin'

Hey isish44j, I know the 1/4" filter specifically says that it is susceptible to damage from synthetic oils, and that it is rather small. But H. Depot also offers a 3/8" filter that is larger, hence less time between emptying. It says it is a poly material that I presume is not affected by syn. oil. Any thoughts anyone? It can be found on their website under power tools, air compressors/accessories

Tory
Old 06-10-2006, 08:12 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Yayomax
Hey isish44j, I know the 1/4" filter specifically says that it is susceptible to damage from synthetic oils, and that it is rather small. But H. Depot also offers a 3/8" filter that is larger, hence less time between emptying. It says it is a poly material that I presume is not affected by syn. oil. Any thoughts anyone? It can be found on their website under power tools, air compressors/accessories

Tory
yeah, I know...but that one costs about as much as the ebay one I bought. For the same money, might as well go with the nice-looking one. Plus, I would have to get new fittings for the 3/8 filter and spend more money...
Old 06-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Need A Light?

crap...I tossed it and it's somewhere deep in my trash can right now. The bowl says 'do not use with synthetic oil' so I figure there is something in synthetics that causes a reaction with that specific type of plastic.

in any case, it would basically get kind of "sludgy" and milky looking substance. I thought at first I had an antifreeze leak into the block, but I am 100% positive that is not the case. The white milkiness is NOT coming out of the engine, it is directly caused by some reaction in the bowl.

In any case, that wasn't really a concern of mine....I just got tired of emptying the damn things every 2 weeks!!
damn u serious? Hmm, i've had your catch can mod for quite awhile now...and its been getting hot in so cal and i also have a CF hood (black attracts more heat)...and I never really had a problem with the bowl melting...or creating a weird reaction from inside....maybe it takes awhile for it to occur?

When did you start noticing the bad reaction? I know you had this catch can mod since like August of last year...was this recent?
Old 06-10-2006, 08:22 PM
retired moderator

damn u serious? Hmm, i've had your catch can mod for quite awhile now...and its been getting hot in so cal and i also have a CF hood (black attracts more heat)...and I never really had a problem with the bowl melting...or creating a weird reaction from inside....maybe it takes awhile for it to occur?

When did you start noticing the bad reaction? I know you had this catch can mod since like August of last year...was this recent?
a while...I use synthetic blend most of the time. Not sure why, but there didn't seem to be anything "unsafe" about it, if that's what you're asking.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Need A Light?

a while...I use synthetic blend most of the time. Not sure why, but there didn't seem to be anything "unsafe" about it, if that's what you're asking.
i'll keep the thread updated if anything happens...like if the bowl breaks or whatever...lets hope that won't happen
Old 06-10-2006, 08:36 PM
still brewin'

I think I'm gonna experiment with different cans before/if I go the ebay route. I for damn sure know I cannot go back to stock seeing that it does work. The smaller can does have the potential to backfire on you if it gets too full, as the oil will be sucked up from the collection in the can. BTW irish, thanx on the p.m.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:44 AM

Be sure to check for oil sippage from the bottom of the can periodically. These ebay catch cans have a tendency to leak.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:10 AM
still brewin'

Originally Posted by nailz420
Be sure to check for oil sippage from the bottom of the can periodically. These ebay catch cans have a tendency to leak.

Along with nailz420, we'll need an update in a couple weeks to make sure your purchased, prefrabicated can is any better than a homemade one.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:12 AM

my home depot one seems to work until it fills half way in like 2 weeks. then it seems to just stop filling up. I have clear hose on both ends but I need to switch the inbound one to the catch can cause it compresses near flat at idle.
same here... only fills half way
Old 06-12-2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by nailz420
^^Good Call on that, mine leaked for a while as the bottom was just secured very loosely with some small allen screws. I finally went back to my original Craftsman/HomeDepot filter seen below, as the ebay one didn't really catch anything.

Irish says his is baffled. I assume that means that the in and out hoses are seperated at least partly so the oily air doesn't just do a 180 an go right back into the IM. I really think the key to the smaller ones is the small internal honeycomb style filter element that allows the oil to go from an atomized state back to a liquid and get trapped in the bowl.

I myself, will probably just get a larger one in this air compressor style in the 0.5 liter variety to save from opening the hood every 2 weeks to empty the little 3oz. one I have now.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:20 AM
I R The Law

hey irish hows the new catch can going?
Old 06-13-2006, 02:18 AM
wat

Tory
I have the larger 3/8" filter and it has the same warning sticker about using synthetics, i use mobil1, and i cleaned mine today and i found pen tip size clumps of black stuff i think it might be plastic that was eaten away by the sythetic oil.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:21 AM
Need A Light?

I'm not having any problems with my synthetic PAO group IV oil (one of the best in the industry) and my husky blow by catch can....i'll keep this thread updated if anything happens though
Old 06-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Banned

Irish44: Home Depot Sponsorship Pulled!
Old 06-14-2006, 01:48 AM
still brewin'

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
I have the larger 3/8" filter and it has the same warning sticker about using synthetics, i use mobil1, and i cleaned mine today and i found pen tip size clumps of black stuff i think it might be plastic that was eaten away by the sythetic oil.
How long have you had the 3/8" filter?
Old 06-14-2006, 02:09 AM
wat

How long have you had the 3/8" filter?
some where around 5-4 months now
Old 06-14-2006, 05:25 AM

yeah...there are different styles, and some are not a good design. I got this one because it is baffled inside...
Kinda off topic, but is that the old Flaglar bridge your car is "on" in that sig photo?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:57 AM

good stuff guys, thanks for the details
Old 06-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maxima-Ness
Kinda off topic, but is that the old Flaglar bridge your car is "on" in that sig photo?
It's gotta be a photochop. Ain't no way Irish can drive well enough to wedge his car in there like that!

Quick Reply: New oil catch can...less ghetto