4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

"Going Under The Knife"

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 06:07 PM
SHIFT_up

"Going Under The Knife"

Alrighty well my baby is about to go the mechanic tomorrow for what i believe is a major over haul. I'm very into my car and when i see something wrong with it, i just have to fix it. I'm also very paranode about my car. So i wanted to ask you guys a few questions before i bring her in, so that nothing else get's messed up.

First Off: I bought the oem 5th gen clutch, i wanted to know if it will fit %100 like the oem 4th gen.

Second: Resurfacing the flywheel is a good thing? because i've never heard of doing this before.

Third: When i drop the tranny to replace the rear engine seal and clutch do i need to replace the bolts that hold the tranny? I've read that these might cause leaks if not replace...?

Forth: Polyurethane bushing on stock suspension sould be ok?

Fifth: Can the clutch pedal be adjusted? meaning can i adjust the height of the pedal itself???

Thanks for help. I just want to make sure everything i'm doing is going to work out in the end.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Wild for Width

1. Yes, I think 5th gen PP has more force however.
2. Yes, it should be done with any clutch job.
4. Yes.
5. Yes, it is shown in the FSM. If you need a link PM me.

I have not heard/looked into #3.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:21 PM

You dont need to replace the bolts that hold the tranny in place, there a strong good grade bolt, no need to replace. But when doing the Rear main seal, make sure its seated properly and dont be shy with the RTV sealant.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:45 PM
SHIFT_up

YES!!! TY was hoping for both of you to respond...lol

What's RTV sealant?

Oh also i got some lube from energy suspension, what else can i use that lube on and what's it's purpose exactly..it doesn't say on the box.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:05 PM
SHIFT_up

would anyone else like to chime in? any opinions, ideas, tips, or anything to make the job smooth.

Here's what i'll be doing.
1.) Rear Engine Seal
2.) 5th gen clutch + pressure plate + TOB
3.) Resurfacing Flywheel
4.) A/C and Power Steering Belts
5.) Polyurethane Control Arm Bushings
6.) SS Clutch Line
7.) New Amsoil Tranny Fluid, Mobile 1 motor oil, and OEM DOT3 Brake Fluid for the clutch (Super heavy duty oil)

Thank You once again for your time.

Edit: Freeway to adjust the clutch, there's a bolt behind it right? do i need to bleed it after i adjust it? should i adjust it before or after the new clutch goes in? Help..LOL
Old 05-17-2006, 09:39 PM
Ichiban King

I thought the maxima flywheel couldn't be resurfaced. wait EDIT: can't be lightened, oops anyways they know what they're talking about 99se5speed, now get out there and "get 'er done" - George Dubbya.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:33 PM
SHIFT_up

o god i think i messed up...i think i also bought a 2001 pressure plate, will it fit? or should i have bought a 99 pressure plate..omfg it's 2am and i'm supposed to be at the shop at 8am. I'm definetly not gonna sleep tonight.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Wild for Width

Originally Posted by 99se5speed
would anyone else like to chime in? any opinions, ideas, tips, or anything to make the job smooth.

Here's what i'll be doing.
1.) Rear Engine Seal
2.) 5th gen clutch + pressure plate + TOB
3.) Resurfacing Flywheel
4.) A/C and Power Steering Belts
5.) Polyurethane Control Arm Bushings
6.) SS Clutch Line
7.) New Amsoil Tranny Fluid, Mobile 1 motor oil, and OEM DOT3 Brake Fluid for the clutch (Super heavy duty oil)

Thank You once again for your time.

Edit: Freeway to adjust the clutch, there's a bolt behind it right? do i need to bleed it after i adjust it? should i adjust it before or after the new clutch goes in? Help..LOL
For the accessory belts just remember that the adjusting bolts are left hand thread (left to tighten, right to loosen). Also remember that the nut on the idler pulley must be loosened (not removed) before using the adjusting bolt for the AC/ALT. Likewise two (2) bolts need to be loosened on the PS Pump to be able to loosen and tighten it. One is along the timing chain cover, the other is a bolt behind the pump (just follow the axle to the pump). The adjusting bolt for the PS is the one that is upside down.

I don't have the 5th gen setup so hopefully someone can step in.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:06 PM

YES!!! TY was hoping for both of you to respond...lol

What's RTV sealant?

Oh also i got some lube from energy suspension, what else can i use that lube on and what's it's purpose exactly..it doesn't say on the box.

Just a type of silicone sealant/ gasket material. I think it stands for room temperature vulcanizing. Ie cures at room temp.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:37 PM

you dont have to replace the tranny bolts... the only bolt off the top of my head that needs replacing after using it is the headbolts...
Old 05-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Alrighty well my baby is about to go the mechanic tomorrow for what i believe is a major over haul. I'm very into my car and when i see something wrong with it, i just have to fix it. I'm also very paranode about my car. So i wanted to ask you guys a few questions before i bring her in, so that nothing else get's messed up.

First Off: I bought the oem 5th gen clutch, i wanted to know if it will fit %100 like the oem 4th gen.

Thanks for help. I just want to make sure everything i'm doing is going to work out in the end.
Not to be a di<k, but asking us if the 5th gen clutch will fit 100% after you bought it and a day before it goes it is a big
Old 05-18-2006, 07:33 PM
SHIFT_up

^ i was just making sure, i became very paranode at the last minute..

Anyway this is the best thing i could have done so far. The tranny shifts so smooth and the clutch is great, better then expected. Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:08 PM

u should post some pics of the progress... hope it all works out