5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How-to for Blow By Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 11:59 PM
I R The Law

How-to for Blow By Catch Can

***Disclaminer***
I am not held responsible for any damages done to your car due to this installation

This is a write up for the Blow By Catch Can. i did this write up because it took me awhile to know where things went so i thought it would be kinda easier for people that didnt know where everything is.

Items Needed:

Two (2) Watts 3/8" to 1/4" hose barb

Four (4) Mini Hose Clamps (the size should be the width of a thumb) *NO PIC*

One (1) Husky Mini General Purpose Filter

Four Feet (4FT) of 3/8" ID (Inner Diameter) Braided Fuel Hose *NO PIC*

Left To Right - Braided Hose, Husky Filter, Hose Barb

NOW FOR THE INSTALL!!

First you have to remove the pcv tubing from the Intake manifold by using a needle nose or pilers and squeeze the clamp and pull off the tubing.

Then you take the pilers and remove the clamp from the hose connected to the pcv valve

Last edited by The Law; 12-31-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:02 AM
I R The Law

Take one of your hose clamps and put it around your braided hose and tighten it enough but leave enough space where it can still move without force

Next measure out about 10.5 inches of tubing and cut it for use

Now install the tubing onto the PCV valve and tighten down the hose clamp

Next intall the tubing onto the hose barb and remember to have another hose clamp on there then tighten it down ***MAKE SURE THAT THE ARROW ON THE CAP IS FACING AGAINST THE FIREWALL, SO BASICALLY THE HUSKY LOGO SHOULD BE UPSIDE DOWN WHEN YOU ARE LOOKING AT IT. ALSO DO NOT REFER TO ANY OF THE PICS WITH THE HUSKY CAP AS THEY ARE NOT UPSIDE DOWN DUE TO THE FACT THAT I DIDNT KNOW AND HAD THEM RIGHTSIDE UP. SO PLEASE HAVE YOUR CAPS UPSIDE DOWN WHEN READING THE HUSKY LOGO!!!***

Now take the unused tubing and measure a little more than 2 feet depending on how much slack you want.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:04 AM
I R The Law

I used about 2ft 1/2 inch as you can see

Now install another hose clamp onto the tubing which is connected onto the hose barb

Make sure to have your 4th hose clamp on the hose as you connect the tubing onto the Intake Manifold then tighten down the hose clamp

**Installed on Car**

Now the last pics are how your set up should be all depending on how much slack you put on your tubing.

***Disclaminer***
I am not held responsible for any damages done to your car due to this installation
Old 04-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Need A Light?

that laptop looks awfully familiar
Old 04-27-2006, 12:22 AM
I R The Law

I RECOMMEND EVERYONE WHO HAS DONE THIS CATCH CAN TO UPGRADE FROM BRAIDED HOSES TO BRAIDED FUEL LINE HOSES......this is because my braided hose has collasped just a bit as you can see from the pic below.

UPGRADE TO THE BRAIDED FUEL LINE....as seen in pic below

Old 04-27-2006, 12:27 AM
Drug Money

Originally Posted by steven88
that laptop looks awfully familiar
rly:

Good job Law, now you can collect that oil and increase gas mileage.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nice write-up Law. What was the official word on whether or not to leave the filter out or in?

Jeremy
Old 04-27-2006, 07:57 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Added to How-To sticky.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:36 AM
I R The Law

the filter should be out thats what everyone else says
Old 04-27-2006, 10:56 AM

Where does one buy this Filter unit?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
Where does one buy this Filter unit?
Home Depot fosho! it's in the hardware section...the rest of the accessories are in the plumbing section
Old 04-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Drug Money

Home Depot fosho! it's in the hardware section...the rest of the accessories are in the plumbing section
Told you so!

-photos (c) 2006 by steven88(tm).
Old 04-27-2006, 12:32 PM
2-Wheelin it...

what are you using to hold up the filter? is it just chillin there, smokin a joint.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Drug Money

Originally Posted by PoLo
what are you using to hold up the filter? is it just chillin there, smokin a joint.
yes, a $420 fatty blunt.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:35 PM

Thanks Andrew I'll check it out, funny last time I went to HD for the Malibu clearance lenses for the headlight mod they didn't have them in Canada , but I convinced a staff member to order them in for me as they did carry the Malibu line, I wonder if this is going to be the same deal
Old 04-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Seoul Man

Careful with that braided hose. Lots of people are using it, but a few of us have had that kind of hose collapse after prolonged use. I don't know if it's due to pressure or heat, but mine ended up collapsing from round to flat right at one of the bends. I did not bend the hose sharply (I was very careful to keep the bends gentle to prevent crimping), but it collapsed anyway.

I switched from that braided hose to some auto transmission cooler hose from Autozone. Fuel line would also probably work. I can't report on the long term effects of having one of these DIY catchcans. I ended up removing mine because my inline filter (larger version of the Husky pictured above) was deteriorating. The reservoir (clear plastic) was getting cloudy and developing some hairline cracks, and the filter element was getting clogged. I took off the reservoir to empty out the oil and to remove the filter element, but then I noticed that the o-ring was badly deteriorated, so I removed the whole catchcan setup.

In my opinion, it is a great idea to intercept the blowby from the PCV, but these inline filters are meant to take the moisture out of air compressor lines, and they don't hold up very well to the heat, pressure, and chemicals that they are exposed to in automotive applications.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by jeremyd72
Nice write-up Law. What was the official word on whether or not to leave the filter out or in?

Jeremy
I didn't recommand remove the filter, I did it and catch no oil, I think the in and out was too close and the oil being suck back to the line, to prevent it clog for long term use I just cut it in half and it start collect oil again.
now I thinking get a larger version b/c once a while (approx. 2-3 week) I check, it still collect same amount of oil (about 1/4 tank), in this level, it already collected in 3-5days. So I concluded it might be the filter cut had cause this, the oil are being suck back to the line.
But I am too lazy to check it weekly and I don't want to replace the filter once a while b/c had to call Husky to order, nothing on shelf.
Anyone had better suggestion? correct me if I am wrong, everything is just "I think", no proof.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:18 PM
I R The Law

remax maybe yours didnt collect was because you had the filter on the wrong way....cause the outlets are different. if you look at the cap of the husky filter there is a arrow on the cap which has to be facing against the firewall for the filter to work (credited to andrew aka steven88 ) otherwise the filter will not work properly maybe that is why your filter didnt work and then when you put the filter thingy back in and you had it facing the right way it started to work again. right now i am at a friend's house and i just checked the container and i can already see oil on the side of the container, so i think that you might have done it the wrong way also you can talk to steven88 cause he already has a container that is half full from driving 350miles.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:26 PM

Thanks The Law, I had pay attention to this when I install it, out from crank case PCV to manifold direction, I am sure I got it right. the arrow show in and out.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:16 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

good write-up
Old 04-28-2006, 06:15 AM
Jedi Knight

so is the verdict that this mod increases your mileage/performance?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:29 AM
El Mas Noob Del Org.

Good write up for 02-03s I just did this last night and wow I can already see it collecting oil. I wish I would have done this sooner. Ohh well anyways props to The Law and Steven88. Im on my way to more hp(lol) and better gas mileage
Old 04-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So wait, the hose you pull out goes from the intake manifold to the PCV? So your basically replacing the stock hose with the filtered hose, correct?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by spiromax
Careful with that braided hose. Lots of people are using it, but a few of us have had that kind of hose collapse after prolonged use. I don't know if it's due to pressure or heat, but mine ended up collapsing from round to flat right at one of the bends. I did not bend the hose sharply (I was very careful to keep the bends gentle to prevent crimping), but it collapsed anyway.

I switched from that braided hose to some auto transmission cooler hose from Autozone. Fuel line would also probably work. I can't report on the long term effects of having one of these DIY catchcans. I ended up removing mine because my inline filter (larger version of the Husky pictured above) was deteriorating. The reservoir (clear plastic) was getting cloudy and developing some hairline cracks, and the filter element was getting clogged. I took off the reservoir to empty out the oil and to remove the filter element, but then I noticed that the o-ring was badly deteriorated, so I removed the whole catchcan setup.

In my opinion, it is a great idea to intercept the blowby from the PCV, but these inline filters are meant to take the moisture out of air compressor lines, and they don't hold up very well to the heat, pressure, and chemicals that they are exposed to in automotive applications.
I agree, I saw MotorWeek on the Speed network and they stated that you have to be careful on what types of hoses you use. They specifically stated that transmission, radiator, and brake hoses are not strong enough for the PCV line because of the strong vacuum pressure and that it will collapse eventually. What is the best option for us to use for the oil catch can if the plastic ones will disengrate over time.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:20 AM

Has anyone physically mounted their Husky unit to anything solid? I have yet to see it mounted in any of the pictures.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Is this application usable on other cars? Other maxes? Exactly what is it doing and why?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:29 AM
El Mas Noob Del Org.

Originally Posted by 6spd_Hayes
Has anyone physically mounted their Husky unit to anything solid? I have yet to see it mounted in any of the pictures.
I dont think it would be wise to mount it because you have to empty it out every so often. Plus there is really no place to mount it from so I say if you want to go that route you could always zip tie the 2 filter ends to any hose thats around that is sturdy.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:39 AM

Does this apply to 2k max's as well?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just did this yesterday. I have probably driven 80 miles and already have ~1 teaspoon of oil in the filter. Is this bad? I have 49K miles on the car and I am getting 300-330 miles per 16 gallons with mixed spirited driving.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:07 PM

I have a 4th gen max ... would this give the same benefits on a 4th gen? or is blowby only a huge problem on a 5th gen?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by dfownz
Does this apply to 2k max's as well?
Here is my 2k Max, I did secure the catch can with hose bracket which can get from HD electriccal dept. and replace the lock nut with thumb nut so I can easily empty the can.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by KNYFE
Is this application usable on other cars? Other maxes? Exactly what is it doing and why?
"mostly" apply to "all" newer car, the catch can just collect the engine oil and prevent it goign back to manifold and burn with gas for better performance. (correct me if I am wrong)
Old 04-29-2006, 01:37 AM
I R The Law

bump back to top
Old 04-29-2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by spiromax

with that said, is there any alternative? Im sure the fuel/radiator hoses will stand up to the heat, but what about the Husky? Its cheap enough, so I guess if it fails we could just buy a new unit every year. What is everybody else doing, if anything?
Old 04-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Need A Light?

i hope the bowl doesn't fail from extreme under the hood temperatures....that would suck if the bowl shattered, spilling oil all over your engine...haha
Old 04-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by Maxima-Ness
with that said, is there any alternative? Im sure the fuel/radiator hoses will stand up to the heat, but what about the Husky? Its cheap enough, so I guess if it fails we could just buy a new unit every year. What is everybody else doing, if anything?
Well, you can buy a metal catch can. Several sites including eBay have "universal" catch cans that are actually made to be used to catch blowby. Some are way too expensive, but there are others available online that are as cheap or almost as cheap as these Husky inline air compressor filters.

I think they sell one on sportcompactonly.com if you want look there, but it's probably not as cheap as some of the eBay models.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:39 PM
You should thank my D***

Would this husky filter be a lot better since it has a metal bowl.

Is it too big?

I'm thinking about returning the smaller husky filter and buying this one.

3/8 In. airline filters

• Removes unwanted dirt particles and condensed water to extend tool life.
• 5-micron element.
• Metal bowl guard protects against impacts.
• Quick release bowl and quarter turn drain for easier use.
• 3/8" NPT Female ports.
• 57 SCFM flow capacity @90 PSI.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:44 PM
I R The Law

i thought about buying that but i wasnt sure if i should have or not
Old 05-16-2006, 12:38 AM

Well these filters arent made for holding up against motor, and even less against synthetic oil. It reacts with the plastic and causes it to break down.

Why are there so many reposts of this topic ???
Seriously... do we need like all 3 different variations????
All you gotta do is locate the PCV and the and tube that goes downstream to the IM. Then stick a filter midway going from the PCV to the IM. Its not rocket science.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:49 AM
I R The Law

Originally Posted by aussie983
Well these filters arent made for holding up against motor, and even less against synthetic oil. It reacts with the plastic and causes it to break down.

why are there so many reposts of this topic ???
first of all aussie this isnt a repost since this is a how-to for the 5.5 gen while irish's write up is for the 5th gen. in which case both catch cans are in 2 different places. please read thread before posting about it being a repost

Quick Reply: How-to for Blow By Catch Can