4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

tranny fluid 5 speed *HELP* ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 08:24 AM

tranny fluid 5 speed *HELP* ASAP

i need to know the capacity of the transmission in my 97 5 speed. im leaving soon to go get mt90 redline and i need to know. thanks
Old 04-01-2006, 08:48 AM
Bad Mother Fornicator

fluid capacity is about 4.5-5.02 quarts for NON-lsd, a lil less for LSD. (4.5ish)
I JUST put redline in mine 2 days ago! 3 qt. of mt-90, 1.5 qt. of MTL. Good stuff..
DJ
Old 04-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am about to get MT-90 as well... what is the reason for mixing MT-90 and MTL?
Old 04-01-2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by DJ42o96maX
fluid capacity is about 4.5-5.02 quarts for NON-lsd, a lil less for LSD. (4.5ish)
I JUST put redline in mine 2 days ago! 3 qt. of mt-90, 1.5 qt. of MTL. Good stuff..
DJ
Are those Murano rims????? Interesting. BTW, I'm using Amsoil MT 90. I've used the Redline and it's good. Just got a deal from a forum member who was also a Amsoil distributor so I went with the Amsoil. Can't go wrong with either one IMHO. I'm bout due to change it so I'll have to start looking. Wonder if that guy is still hanging round? In a bit of a quandry though. Am lining up new suspension parts (got the H&Rs but have to buy the Illuminas) but am also thinking of a new clutch (5th gen) as I've got 123K right now. Juggling, holding out on changing the tranny fluid until I get the new clutch. Ah, heck got to get going on the darn shocks first. Cheers
Old 04-01-2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by zagato27
Are those Murano rims????? Interesting. BTW, I'm using Amsoil MT 90. I've used the Redline and it's good. Just got a deal from a forum member who was also a Amsoil distributor so I went with the Amsoil. Can't go wrong with either one IMHO. I'm bout due to change it so I'll have to start looking. Wonder if that guy is still hanging round? In a bit of a quandry though. Am lining up new suspension parts (got the H&Rs but have to buy the Illuminas) but am also thinking of a new clutch (5th gen) as I've got 123K right now. Juggling, holding out on changing the tranny fluid until I get the new clutch. Ah, heck got to get going on the darn shocks first. Cheers
Ooops, read your sig and see that they are indeed Murano rims. Interesting. Don't know if my wife would even notice if I swapped her rims (03 Murano) for my 5spokes BTW, any hints on adding the new tranny fluid. I had my Max on a lift and had a heck of a time getting ALL the fluid in. Yes, I read in Chilton's (?) that you can use a funnel and a PVC hose going down throught the engine compartment to the add hole. I used a gallon container with a "pump" but it seemed that I couldn't get all the oil in, as it got up to the level of the hole and that was it. Maybe the car wasn't level on the lift, I dunnno. Anyway, if you've got a tip I'm all ears. Cheers
Old 04-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by zagato27
Ooops, read your sig and see that they are indeed Murano rims. Interesting. Don't know if my wife would even notice if I swapped her rims (03 Murano) for my 5spokes BTW, any hints on adding the new tranny fluid. I had my Max on a lift and had a heck of a time getting ALL the fluid in. Yes, I read in Chilton's (?) that you can use a funnel and a PVC hose going down throught the engine compartment to the add hole. I used a gallon container with a "pump" but it seemed that I couldn't get all the oil in, as it got up to the level of the hole and that was it. Maybe the car wasn't level on the lift, I dunnno. Anyway, if you've got a tip I'm all ears. Cheers
Car should definitely be level. If not, make sure the front is higher and then fill with the exact amount in the specifications.

I strongly recommend doing it while the tranny is sorta warm, and actually right after driving a short distance it best, so the junk in the oil isn't all settled at the bottom. I advise against using the big plastic plug (actually the gear position sensor) to drain, since the sensor is very fragile. Find the small (12mm head?) bolt that faces the passenger side, directly under the axle. It will drain slower, but it will drain from the place where the nasty gunk actually hangs out.

Use a very clean drain pan, and when you dump out the old oil, look for metal in the bottom when you pour it out of the pan and into the container you use to take it for disposal. That's valuable evidence for the condition of your gears and bearings.

Dave
Old 04-02-2006, 08:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get the amsoil....